Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What I recall is 20-30 minute fights on 20lb test.  You could see it 100+ yards out, and it did not seem to care at all I had it on a line.  I had to follow it down the beach a bit, as it generally had me 1/2 spooled out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Pain in the ass to bring to the boat if they are any size, the bigger ones we just cut loose.   The smaller ones are the best shark bait on the planet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I know you're joking, but the fact that people think stingrays are dangerous cracks me up...
Play stupid games....

Seriously though for those that don't know. stingrays literally can't attack with their stingers. They don't have a barb on the end of their tail that they can attack with or whip at you.
They do have one on top of their tail at the base of it, where it meets their body. it's totally defensive, they're method of defense is to sink to the bottom, and flex a muscle at the base of the stinger to make it lift up off the tail slightly. Anything pursuing them might impale themselves on it, if they're that stupid.
It's like tackling someone who has a knife strapped on their back and then complaining that they stabbed you.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know you're joking, but the fact that people think stingrays are dangerous cracks me up...
Play stupid games....

Seriously though for those that don't know. stingrays literally can't attack with their stingers. They don't have a barb on the end of their tail that they can attack with or whip at you.
They do have one on top of their tail at the base of it, where it meets their body. it's totally defensive, they're method of defense is to sink to the bottom, and flex a muscle at the base of the stinger to make it lift up off the tail slightly. Anything pursuing them might impale themselves on it, if they're that stupid.
It's like tackling someone who has a knife strapped on their back and then complaining that they stabbed you.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Play stupid games....

Depending on the species and size, they can whip that thing around enough to just about reach the tip of their "nose"
I've got the scar to prove it.
Sure, they might not stab you purposefully, but people do end up getting stabbed, sometimes taking the stinger with them, and they can cut the piss out of you with the barbed edges and it will burn like fire from the venom.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Depending on the species and size, they can whip that thing around enough to just about reach the tip of their "nose"
Sure, they might not stab you purposefully, but people do end up getting stabbed, sometimes taking the stinger with them, and they can cut the piss out of you with the barbed edges and it will burn like fire from the venom.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MbE8gXZrHcc/UzkDIRIP5iI/AAAAAAAAADk/vV-CuaMlCd8/s1600/stingraystinger.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Play stupid games....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MbE8gXZrHcc/UzkDIRIP5iI/AAAAAAAAADk/vV-CuaMlCd8/s1600/stingraystinger.jpg

Yep, if you dont see it and run your leg into you're going to get stabbed, just like any sharp object. and since they're brittle and barbed they tend to break off inside the wound.
Or in Steve Irwins case, if you try to ride a fucking stingray your chest is going to be right there near the stabby part...
PSA: don:t ride stingrays! You might die.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I got stung in my right heel in August of 1992 while windsurfing in Pamlico Sound. I have some extracted barb pieces in a vial to prove it. High speed and little flesh above the bone meant ithe barb badly shattered in there but the wound was very shallow. The doc got about half of the pieces(the large ones) out, the rest remained, though they probably were absorbed long ago.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The doc got about half of the pieces(the large ones) out, the rest remained, though they probably were absorbed long ago.
View Quote

Do you notice your eyes migrating to your forehead and your mouth migrating towards your neck?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you notice your eyes migrating to your forehead and your mouth migrating towards your neck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The doc got about half of the pieces(the large ones) out, the rest remained, though they probably were absorbed long ago.

The symptoms were delayed a couple of decades. They seem to consist of a decline in eyesight and balding...

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks friendly
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last summer I shot two with my bow in the Lynnhave inlet.  Both were 3ft across and 40lb.  Some parts of them are tolerable to eat.  The meat has the consistency of beef and pork.   Grilled with some seasoning and sauce you can pretend your eating a pork chop.   Some pieces are way too fishy and too nasty to eat.  Some pieces are gritty feeling when you chew it, due to really tiny bits of embedded cartilage I figure.  They is no mistaking ray for scallops.  Some pieces have a hint of scallop taste, but that's it.

It makes good dog food, my girlfriend's dog really likes it.
View Quote

Keep up the good work.

The fucking rays come in the bay and eat up all of the shellfish, baby crabs, and water filtering oysters.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have caught more big rays off bridges than I can count.

Usually feels like you snagged something heavy on the bottom.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top