Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It was worse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're arguing over semantics. I'm saying there are different ways to interpret "Marvel film."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still somewhat Marvel, just not part of the Marvel MCU project because Marvel had already sold the rights to other studios before Disney bought them up whole. At the beginning of those movies, you'll have the Marvel intro, announcing it as a Marvel film

No, the characters were Marvel creations.  The Marvel writers, editors, etc...had no say in the writing or production of the movie other than the insistence that certain characters not be portrayed in too negative a light.  The MCU movies are totally controlled by Marvel, the company, and the final decisions about the movie are made by Kevin Feige.

We're arguing over semantics. I'm saying there are different ways to interpret "Marvel film."
Yes but When someone says people praise the Marvel films... when such people are clearly talking only about the MCU films and then includes Non MCU films in there list for reasons why the Marvel MCU films don't deserve said praise... there is clearly a break down in communication.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The only one I've really liked out of the entire genre of superhero movies is Guardians of the Galaxy. It felt like a Comic to me which I prefer as opposed to the "real life" they try to put in most Superhero movies. But then again I also liked Batman and Robin, the first Batman and the Original Batman (West). Again they all had more of a comic book feel.

The rest were ok. I can't even watch avengers. It's like more of a drama then an action flick in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
All those bad / negative reviews out there for the movie??? .....they're MUCH too kind.  Pointless drivel with a sad nothing of a plot line. Villians that are just annoying. Flashbacks that are just stupid. Even Wonder Woman was boring.

Go if your just curious but bring a pillow so your nap will be comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes but When someone says people praise the Marvel films... when such people are clearly talking only about the MCU films and then includes Non MCU films in there list for reasons why the Marvel MCU films don't deserve said praise... there is clearly a break down in communication.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still somewhat Marvel, just not part of the Marvel MCU project because Marvel had already sold the rights to other studios before Disney bought them up whole. At the beginning of those movies, you'll have the Marvel intro, announcing it as a Marvel film

No, the characters were Marvel creations.  The Marvel writers, editors, etc...had no say in the writing or production of the movie other than the insistence that certain characters not be portrayed in too negative a light.  The MCU movies are totally controlled by Marvel, the company, and the final decisions about the movie are made by Kevin Feige.

When somebody makes a list like that which indicates such bad taste in movies, something is definitely broken.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
You should make this a poll. I liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If people are clearly only talking about MCU films, half of them still suck. They quickly use the same brush to say DC movies suck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It sucked.  I can't believe they are letting that fuck, affleck have his own movie.   I will watch WW and Superman movies as stand alones, but I'm done with anymore DC movies.  I just can't stand that dickless, takes it in the ass, affleck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If people are clearly only talking about MCU films, half of them still suck.
View Quote

No, they don't.  Two of them, arguably, could be described as sucking.  Two more are arguably mediocre-to-good.  The rest are very good to great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I was disappointed in this movie, I thought it wasn't great at all.

DC tried way too hard to make their own Ironman.

Ben Afflek I thought wasn't great either, but that's just my opinion.  Apparently he's going to have a stand alone movie, I'm not saving the date to see it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think Superman vs Batman is a good premise.....

https://youtu.be/I_cEoK1mXms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reviews were awful. I watched Kevin Smith's review and a lot of it did sound dumb. Was it that terrible?

This is one of those movies, like the punisher movies, that I cannot figure how it can go so wrong from some such an easy and good premise

I don't think Superman vs Batman is a good premise.....

https://youtu.be/I_cEoK1mXms

+1

The premise is retarded.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews made it out to be.  

I hate Ben Affleck, for the record.  I also hate Ryan Reynolds but I enjoyed the hell out of Deadpool.

It's a reasonably enjoyable 2 hours.  I came to the movie with pretty low expectations and left satisfied.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]
It was fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I actually really liked it and most everyone I know did too. *shrug*
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]
The Batman sequences were the best part. I thought Jesse Eisenberg did a great job as Lex. Overall it was kinda weak. 3/5 YMMV
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]
It was fine pretty much sums it up.

Its got probably the least accurate Batman ever... but a pretty darn good Bruce Wane and Alfred.  Superman is a tortured soul who's less powerful than previous Superman portrayals.  Which is in keeping with the less powerful superman we got in Man of Steel.

I think most of the criticism of this and the most recent Superman movie stems from people not realizing this Superman isn't as powerful as the previous versions.  Previous versions would have been able to stop certain things... this one can't.

The fight scenes and visuals are outstanding.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The reviews were awful. I watched Kevin Smith's review and a lot of it did sound dumb. Was it that terrible?

This is one of those movies, like the punisher movies, that I cannot figure how it can go so wrong from some such an easy and good premise
View Quote

in some ways it s great in others it s bad.

it s a bit of a mixed bag.  if you are a fan of the characters it is very worth seeing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Haven't been able to see it yet. I plan on taking my kids to see it this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Haven't been able to see it yet. I plan on taking my kids to see it this weekend.
View Quote

How old are they?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#24]
The pacing reminded me of Interstellar.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I actually really liked it and most everyone I know did too. *shrug*

View Quote

I enjoyed it; heaven help me, I even couldn't find much bad to say about Aflack's Batman persona. He portrayed Bruce Wayne as jaded and tired and kind of cranky, which was the idea, I thought.

There have been a few times in my memory where the divergence between what critics had to say and my reaction has been this large.

The other time that springs to mind was the original Stargate movie, with Kurt Russell and Spader.

Siskel and Ebert were all, "They wanted to blow them up with a nuke!" re: the plan to send a small nuke through the Stargate in the event that the aliens proved to be a danger to Earth.  

Two thumbs down.  

I loved the movie; enough that I bought two different DVD/Blu-Ray versions.  

You'll only know if you go and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't follow DC comics, but Superman had evolved into such a Godlike being, which was understandable during the long period where he was marketed as pretty much a comic for elementary school age boys (nothing wrong with that), that I think he was difficult to write (I almost typed "He"). How do you make a movie in 2016 that adults will go see about a guy who has super ventriloquism?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its got probably the least accurate Batman ever... but a pretty darn good Bruce Wane and Alfred.  Superman is a tortured soul who's less powerful than previous Superman portrayals.  Which is in keeping with the less powerful superman we got in Man of Steel.

I think most of the criticism of this and the most recent Superman movie stems from people not realizing this Superman isn't as powerful as the previous versions.  Previous versions would have been able to stop certain things... this one can't.

I don't follow DC comics, but Superman had evolved into such a Godlike being, which was understandable during the long period where he was marketed as pretty much a comic for elementary school age boys (nothing wrong with that), that I think he was difficult to write (I almost typed "He"). How do you make a movie in 2016 that adults will go see about a guy who has super ventriloquism?  

In Man of Steel we got a Superman just starting out who hadn't figured out how to avoid civilian casualties.  And in this one he's pretty much figured that out but doesn't have the superspeed that would have allowed him to not kill even his opponents in the past.  In this... he doesn't have the option of just blocking the bullet and thus can't not kill and can't prevent certain tragedies.  And his inability to save everyone weighs on him heavily.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like driving your Chevy F150? Chevy sure does know how to make the F line of trucks.

I'm also a big fan for the Ford corvettes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

While Gal Gadot wasn't terrible, she'll always be a stick figure. An Amazonian warrior princess doesn't weigh 90 lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I'm glad the reviews sucked.  I went in with low expectations and was very pleased that it was better.

It's a comic movie. Take it for what it is.  Truthfully, they got an aweful lot close to the orginal Frank Miller story.  

Also, for someone who spent many a pubescent night pining for Linda Carter i think they did a good job casting Wonder Woman.

While Gal Gadot wasn't terrible, she'll always be a stick figure. An Amazonian warrior princess doesn't weigh 90 lbs.

Hence my penchant for buxom brunettes!

God Bless Linda Carter
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you like driving your Chevy F150? Chevy sure does know how to make the F line of trucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Wow, that was a really, really bad analogy. You should be ashamed of yourself."  - Harriet Tubman
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I liked it, however I won't argue with anyone who didn't.  The goal of this movie wasn't to tell a story of Batman v Superman, it was to set up a movie franchise and DC's universe.  For that, I am very excited because there were a lot of interesting teasers to future events.  However this movie has a lot of flaws.

The downfall to this movie was just trying to cram in too many different storylines, and in spots is just gets a little disjointed.  It's a Man Of Steel sequel, a Batman movie, and a movie about the social impact of having a Superman in public, along with a Justice League setup.  DC is made an attempt to go straight from Man Of Steel to Justice League without setup movies for all the individual characters which was too much without making a 4 hour movie.

Zach Snyder isn't that great of a director, but he does a fantastic job incorporating comic panel frames into live action movies.  BvS is full of them, just like he did in Watchmen (which has a lot of the same flaws as BvS).  Visually it makes for an impressive movie, but the direction isn't great.  I came away more excited to see where they take the franchise than I did this anything that happened in this movie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]
On a side note, Captain America: Civil War, which WAS pre-screened for critics (unlike a certain Warner Bros movie) has 31 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and 30 of them are positive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I went in expecting it to be very bad and came away with a Meh.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people just can't write the character well. Denny O'Neil was a great Batman writer (and the one who actually brought the character out of the campy '60s), but he was never able to write a good Superman story. It was the same with Marv Wolfman (New Teen Titans), he could do wonders with the street level heroes like Nightwing, but fizzed out writing Superman.

But, you give people like Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Mark MIllar, Mark Waid, and Kurt Busiek a shot to write a Superman story and they excel at it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll red box it. Marvel is worth paying the price of admission. DC? Not so much. I'll give em $1.50.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

My feelings as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#37]
In my opinion it was great and seems to be more oriented towards The Justice League. I mean it is the movie leading up to it anyway...

I think most of the hate comes from those who likely Christian Bale's Batman, which was great. But this is not the same storyline.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]
The whole thing just seemed pointless. The resolution between Batman and Superman was just horrible.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top