Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, all true. But some of the trucking companies are getting huge. A giant trucking company could buy a truck manufacturer, and then that truck manufacturer has a stake in pushing the driverless technology. I don't think they are going to give up on the idea easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  The prize won't matter if you can't weather the lawsuits. Industry wide, the prize is great, but individually, GM, Volvo, Freightliner - these are not companies which can or will share the burden if lawsuits come in and come hard....and they will. These companies aren't going to see amazing revenues selling automated trucks compared to the trucks they sell now - and that's the point. The prize for them is increased liability.

Who stands to really benefit if it comes to automation? Trucking companies and shippers. And, who will not be getting sued? Trucking companies and shippers. The weak link is liability, as it is with most everything in business.

It's just completely naive to think that automation won't cost some lives, it will. And, again, who gets targeted in that? The maker of the automation - not the trucking company.

Software screws up, sensors fail or get covered up, trucks can't make ethical decisions that a human can. It's going to be very ugly, very public, and companies that make this shit can't eliminate the infrastructure or human traffic that makes it a mess.

Yep, all true. But some of the trucking companies are getting huge. A giant trucking company could buy a truck manufacturer, and then that truck manufacturer has a stake in pushing the driverless technology. I don't think they are going to give up on the idea easily.

Considering the many advantages it will offer, I have a good amount of faith that they will figure it out. It really isn't a question of increased insurance premiums. It is just a question of shifting the cost of those premiums to the right place. If the actuarial figures wind up showing that automated trucks have a lower rate of accidents than trucks with people in them (which Elon Musk is already claiming for the Tesla) then it is a foregone conclusion. If a shipping company doesn't have to pay for liability insurance on their trucks because the liability has been shifted to the manufacturer, they can afford to pay a lot more for that truck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
OTR, Regional?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Shortage of professional drivers? Hell, there are a metric ton of shitty ones out there who can't drive so maybe they never graduated to ''pro'' level yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Our local union had a minimum of 22 pr hr plus benefits until forced to take on school buses.

I know 6 figure drivers, full benefit package, pension, great health care, vacation, great contract.

We have no problem getting guys, its putting up with the millennials that is the challenge.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL
e-peen.
I love these kinds of posts, making threats and calling people "internet tough guy", and I bet you don't even see the irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
'cause their Mom's have bad knees.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people. I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think? Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

LOL
e-peen.
I love these kinds of posts, making threats and calling people "internet tough guy", and I bet you don't even see the irony.

I do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This man feels my pain. Im starting at the Ford plant on may 2nd, and it will be glorious. 50 hours a week, home every day, and true time and a half. Not the Chinese overtime bullshit my last company pulled. I know its not a popular statement around here but the lack of qualified drivers is not because "government regulation" it is a direct result of the companies cheaping out on us while increasing the company profit as much as possible, and not throwing us a bone for making them that money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been reading a few articles about the need for and lack of pro truck drivers.

Why is this?

Low pay?
Horrible long hours?
Too difficult to get into?

I was a truck driver.....

Most  "good" Truck jobs are paying the same wages from 20 years ago.
The rest are paying even less. Im not working 70 hours a week for 50k a year.

Yep, I drove for a couple years recently when my position was eliminated at Caterpillar. I was making more money in a warehouse setting, than driving.

Seems some local companies are paying local drivers cents per mile and some money for the load. I get a kick every time I see them ads, "Make $80k your first year"  

Not only is at an issue finding qualified and trained drivers, Retention is the major issue.

This man feels my pain. Im starting at the Ford plant on may 2nd, and it will be glorious. 50 hours a week, home every day, and true time and a half. Not the Chinese overtime bullshit my last company pulled. I know its not a popular statement around here but the lack of qualified drivers is not because "government regulation" it is a direct result of the companies cheaping out on us while increasing the company profit as much as possible, and not throwing us a bone for making them that money.

"He'srightyouknow".meme
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What are they paying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every distribution company I've worked with is starving for new young guys to do the work,  but they all quit within a month.

What are they paying?

Being a distributor we pay hourly, it's all in town.
They'll start you at 22/hour and pay for the CDL training.  8-10 hours
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"He'srightyouknow".meme
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been reading a few articles about the need for and lack of pro truck drivers.

Why is this?

Low pay?
Horrible long hours?
Too difficult to get into?

Yep, I drove for a couple years recently when my position was eliminated at Caterpillar. I was making more money in a warehouse setting, than driving.

Seems some local companies are paying local drivers cents per mile and some money for the load. I get a kick every time I see them ads, "Make $80k your first year"  

Not only is at an issue finding qualified and trained drivers, Retention is the major issue.

"He'srightyouknow".meme

They aren't really making profits, the market is contracting or has been off and on and companies have failed. Eventually the capacity will decrease, shipping prices will go up and wages will have more room to grow.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There isn't a shortage of drivers, there's a shortage of folks willing to take lotsa shit.

Rates are in the dump, thanks to the economy not really recovering.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What makes a truck driver professional lol?
View Quote

Screwing the cap back on the piss bomb before throwing it out the window
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
It really is becoming more difficult to put up with all of the regulation changes that have been going on in the last three years. Hours of service is a big one. Electronic logs are another one. Governed trucks at 62 mph. Low pay. No home time. No where to park the truck and the risk of getting tickets for bs items from the police is ridiculous. Not to forget that every two years you have to get fingerprints if you have hazmat and have to retake the test every two years as well. You would think that the companies would pay for that but they don't. Heck they don't even get you a pay raise for your efforts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cargo is all over trains. Trains can't do what trucks do. The national manufacturing trend will further push trains out of that particular picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the Saudis can't deflate the price of fuel anymore cargo will be back on trains where it belongs.

Cargo is all over trains. Trains can't do what trucks do. The national manufacturing trend will further push trains out of that particular picture.

Yep

Always funny to read when people post strong statements like that when they have no clue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
High Diesel prices put many of them out of business but there was still a need for them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep

Always funny to read when people post strong statements like that when they have no clue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the Saudis can't deflate the price of fuel anymore cargo will be back on trains where it belongs.

Yep

It's apparent who is clueless here. And it isn't me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Cargo is already on the trains. Most of the freight that's moved by truck, the railroads don't want. RRs are perfectly happy moving bulk shit and intermodal, not end consumer goodies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cargo is already on the trains. Most of the freight that's moved by truck, the railroads don't want. RRs are perfectly happy moving bulk shit and intermodal, not end consumer goodies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

In 2013 - last data that was published that I have access to, coal made up 41% of all train cargo. Making it the single, largest  product trains haul.

After that was 'energy products' - which, I'm going to guess is oil based products, not limited to, but including:

Crude oil
Finished fuels
Finished lubricants & base oils
Bio based fuels. (I.e. ethonal and bio diesel)
Bulk liquid chemicals

Now, I'm in the transport business amongst other things. I can say for a fact, coal is going away. Period, end. Coal mines are closing down or going bankrupt left and right, including some of the largest in the nation. The demand for US coal is hitting all time lows and prices continue to plummet.

Secondly, pipelines are being built at a faster pace then ever. As well, simply put, terminals, refineries and blending facilities are becoming smaller and more regionalized.

So, with the top two, by volume, commodities being handled by rail, either failing or going to other means of transportation... What do you see the railroads future really being?

Just asking, as I see the rails once more shrinking their percentage of freight being moved, possibly into the double digits.

Edit:

Rail freight was down 10.1% in 2015.

Truck freight was up 7.2% to an all time high in tonnage for 2015.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Because it sucks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What the hell just happened
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people. I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think? Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

What the hell just happened

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every distribution company I've worked with is starving for new young guys to do the work,  but they all quit within a month.

What are they paying?

Now that's good money!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Because over 92 million Americans of working age are now "disabled"; since the Americans with disabilities act of the early 90's which was supposed to help the "disabled" get back to work.

All it gave them instead was 30 parking places per store which makes those suckers that work all day paying taxes have to walk a mile to get to the store while someone that "suffers" from bi-polar, occational migraines or depression gets front row parking.

Was the real question from the OP...want to know why we need to import workers? Read again my first line again...

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't see a shortage of trucks on the interstates.  I could not imagine many more of them to drive around.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Trucks do it without public subsidy as well. And JIT is an ever increasing policy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trains do it without public subsidy, and JIT isn't everything, a lot of industries have very predictable shipments of long lead items.

Trucks do it without public subsidy as well. And JIT is an ever increasing policy.

And JIT is turning into NOW in a lot of instances.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I can tell you most of the car hauler guys are too busy calling me trying to get their 10 year old rusted out junk trailer repaired under warranty.  They only come with a one or two year warranty to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I was an "outlaw owner operator" for many years. I bought my first truck in 1975[68KW for $12,500]I quit trucking in 1984 and started a freight brokerage at that time.
I made good money in those day's[ no cell phones/ computer's] I made $50-120,000 in wages in those year's[after expense's]A lot of it in cash.
 I ran 1.4 million miles in those 9 year's[two drivers some of the time]. I ran 2 new trucks hard and paid them off early. I started a freight brokerage co. and had up to 65 owner operators working for me. We hauled industrial machinery most of the time.
I think I have ran around almost every scale in US.I averaged $1.50 thru 2.50 per mile; I worked directly for the manufacer's and most of the big corp. in America.Rate,s were not there first consideration.I also worked on my own truck,s[rebuilt the 420 Cummin's in the driveway while waiting for my son to be born.
I know most everything there is to know about trucking.I sold my brokerage co. at age 49 and retired[still retired and   Iam now 68]
 A driver/O. O. can NOT make a living driving the "legal hour's". Too many variable's; weather, traffic,breakdown.s, slow loading/un-loading, etc. I drove appx. 20 hour,s per day[I slept from 10 pm to 2am; after I unloaded I would usually catch up on sleep. In those 1.4 million miles ZERO WRECKS; if I could not stay awake I took a short nap.
 After "de-regulation" rates went down while "cost per mile" went up. It is still out of balance.
  With computer's "truck cop's" and companies can make a driver's job very difficult'. Ticket's are a problem. I got 128 tickets in those 9 year's but I ran on a fake DR and paid all the ticket's asap= no problem.[that is another story].
I feel sorry for the driver's now because there is no room for "free thought". When I had a problem of any kind on the road I did not call anybody: I fixed it myself and moved on.[sometimes I would tell my wife but I did not want to worry her so I just"kept on trucking].
I will answer a few question's if they are not bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Meh, it's just a headline they like to recycle from time to time.

What the industry has too much of is shit companies that nobody wants to work for (yeah, I'm lookin at you Jerry Moyes) and good companies that have requirements that are too high.

Companies need to look into why they are having trouble attracting and keeping drivers. Big companies need to keep drivers happy. Pay, hometime, Inverters, APU's, better scheduling, etc.

Small companies generally have decent pay, decent equipment, but are trying to recruit drivers that Jerry and his buddies have crushed their souls. They need to grab those drivers before they get driven out of the industry. Small companies need to talk to their insurance company and set up a training program, most of them will allow it if you make the effort.

There is absolutely no lack of drivers, there is a lack of people willing to be paid peanuts and treated like shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Considering the many advantages it will offer, I have a good amount of faith that they will figure it out. It really isn't a question of increased insurance premiums. It is just a question of shifting the cost of those premiums to the right place. If the actuarial figures wind up showing that automated trucks have a lower rate of accidents than trucks with people in them (which Elon Musk is already claiming for the Tesla) then it is a foregone conclusion. If a shipping company doesn't have to pay for liability insurance on their trucks because the liability has been shifted to the manufacturer, they can afford to pay a lot more for that truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The prize won't matter if you can't weather the lawsuits. Industry wide, the prize is great, but individually, GM, Volvo, Freightliner - these are not companies which can or will share the burden if lawsuits come in and come hard....and they will. These companies aren't going to see amazing revenues selling automated trucks compared to the trucks they sell now - and that's the point. The prize for them is increased liability.

Who stands to really benefit if it comes to automation? Trucking companies and shippers. And, who will not be getting sued? Trucking companies and shippers. The weak link is liability, as it is with most everything in business.

It's just completely naive to think that automation won't cost some lives, it will. And, again, who gets targeted in that? The maker of the automation - not the trucking company.

Software screws up, sensors fail or get covered up, trucks can't make ethical decisions that a human can. It's going to be very ugly, very public, and companies that make this shit can't eliminate the infrastructure or human traffic that makes it a mess.

Insurance premiums? I was talking about liability from accidents & deaths, which are fait accompli.

Unless laws are written to specifically shield the manufacturers of automated vehicles from the damage bad software or a computer decision makes, then the maker is liable and will lose lawsuits or be settled out of business.

And, the odds of that law with the trial lawyer's lobby out there, is slim to none.

Watch and see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#30]
very easy to get into most companys will pay for your CDL training. on the other hand low pay. and over regulation killed it.

i drove for a well known company .but the low pay and forced loads. i had enough and quit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They aren't really making profits, the market is contracting or has been off and on and companies have failed. Eventually the capacity will decrease, shipping prices will go up and wages will have more room to grow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"He'srightyouknow".meme

Dead wrong.....

ETA: Just to clarify i have worked for places were we would shatter the previous year EVERY YEAR in sales and profit. And they would grill us hotdogs and cut our pay....
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I do. Commercial vehicles pay a third of the taxes and do at least two thirds of the damage to roads. Meaning they are subsidized by cars.
View Quote

Opinions vary.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trains do it without public subsidy, and JIT isn't everything, a lot of industries have very predictable shipments of long lead items.

A lot of my loads have become "take it here, sit until it's finished,  bring it straight back so we can start the line up again"
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Opinions vary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do. Commercial vehicles pay a third of the taxes and do at least two thirds of the damage to roads. Meaning they are subsidized by cars.

Opinions vary.

I want to hear about this so called road damage.

2 qualifiers knowing a little about heavy highway. You cant damage a shit product. Weather does more damage to roads than anything else.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

2 qualifiers knowing a little about heavy highway. You cant damage a shit product. Weather does more damage to roads than anything else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions vary.

Bingo
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1. Govt regulations.
2. Most OTR companies are extremely shitty to work for. This includes but not limited to:
- mileage pay (not including 'out of route miles', only paying loaded miles. Etc.)
- taking a % of the FSC away from the driver.
- gross % of the load pay. ( companies skim from the top )
- sucking drivers into truck leases from the company. Or truck purchases via the company. So you get an old, out of date, broken truck at the end of 5+ years.
- mandating new equipment (3-5 years old at signing max.) Thus sucking the driver into more debt.

I can go on. I employ 6 individuals that I consider OTR drivers. They get paid hourly. If they're sitting waiting to get loaded, or unloaded. They get paid. If they're driving, they get paid. If they're sitting in traffic, they get paid.

All the guys I employ came from the previous situations above. They all can't believe how nice it is to get a consistent pay check. And not have to rush, or hurry, etc. Sure, it costs me a bit more money. But they will also do whatever I need, when I need it done. At the end, I'd rather pay more for a good, loyal, employee.
View Quote

As a professional driver (not otr) I bet your safety record is better than the average company with a DOT number by a lot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quit yur bitchin'.....I don't want to hear it.

You make .56/mile.......so, at 60 mph, that's a mile a minute.

Therefore:  you make .56 x 60 = $33,60 per hour or $69,888.00 plus benefits per year. .......for driving a truck.

Find somewhere else to bellyache, you buncha sadsacks

Plus, 1/3 of you can't read the sign " Slower traffic use right lane"
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Therefore:  you make .56 x 60 = $33,60 per hour or $69,888.00 plus benefits per year. .......for driving a truck.

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions vary.

Bull fucking shit.

Traffic related damage is the most important factor when talking about pavement distress.

But since you are so sure, tell me there chief.  What environmental, non-load related distresses are common in pavements
in Arkansas? Include flexible, and composite pavements in your
answer.
Bonus points: What pavement design method do they use in Arkansas for new flexible pavement highway construction?

ETA::You know, I'm too impatient, so I'll give you a list of distresses in flexible pavement, and you tell me, which ones are big problems in pavement on low traffic roads, which ones are severely aggravated by traffic, and which ones are caused by traffic. Coped straight from FHWA:
A. Cracking /
1.   Fatigue Cracking:
2.   Block Cracking:
3.   Edge Cracking:
4.   Longitudinal Cracking:
5.   Reflection Cracking at Joints:
6.   Transverse Cracking:
B.  Patching and Potholes /
7.   Patch Deterioration:
8.   Potholes:
C. Surface Deformation /
9.   Rutting:
10. Shoving:
D. Surface Defects /
11. Bleeding:
12. Polished Aggregate:
13. Raveling:
E.  Miscellaneous Distresses /
14. Lane-to-Shoulder Dropoff:
15. Water Bleeding and Pumping:

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Get it straight, guy.

Can only drive for 11 hours, with a 30 min mandatory break after 7-1/2 hours max.
And must have 10 hours off before driving again.
And be on duty, incl driving a max of 60 hours in 7 days.
Plus a whole bunch of other crap....
But it's OK for cops, firemen, ER doctors, nurses to work straight 24 hour shifts, in the lifesaving dept.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regulated to death.

Our government at work.

The limitations on hours per day seems to have screwed their ability to make decent money, and get back home.

I dont want them behind the wheel 16 hours a day either , but having them spend more time in truck stops watching porn and playing video poker than actually driving doesnt make much sense.

Get it straight, guy.

Can only drive for 11 hours, with a 30 min mandatory break after 7-1/2 hours max.
And must have 10 hours off before driving again.
And be on duty, incl driving a max of 60 hours in 7 days.
Plus a whole bunch of other crap....
But it's OK for cops, firemen, ER doctors, nurses to work straight 24 hour shifts, in the lifesaving dept.

Nurse can only work 16....just sayin'.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been driving LTL for several years now, I get fantastic benefits and among the best pay in the industry. I'm home nights and off weekends. We have very little turnover where I work. I find it to be a great career 95% of the time. I was fortunate enough to never have to do otr, I've only ever been a local driver.

Perhaps entry level has problems with drug testing but I've never seen anyone popped with our dot random tests in the last 5 years. I've seen a few guys let go for dui or personal driving issues.

The problem is getting a job like mine. It isn't hard but it takes either time or the circumstances have to be right, plus some luck in the latter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I know the company I work for has a hard time finding GOOD drivers. We haul hazmat tankers so their standards are a little higher than most trucking companies.

I haul gas locally to the stations or jet fuel to airports. I'm home every night and make pretty good money. I'll never do anything else in the trucking industry. You have to be crazy, dumb or both to drive OTR.  Most of the drivers for the big carriers are working for slave wages when you count all of the time away from home and all of the hours worked for no pay at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there even a shortage? The miserable pay and long hours (of OTR) suggest a surplus, more than anything else.

I know the company I work for has a hard time finding GOOD drivers. We haul hazmat tankers so their standards are a little higher than most trucking companies.

I haul gas locally to the stations or jet fuel to airports. I'm home every night and make pretty good money. I'll never do anything else in the trucking industry. You have to be crazy, dumb or both to drive OTR.  Most of the drivers for the big carriers are working for slave wages when you count all of the time away from home and all of the hours worked for no pay at all.

Pretty soon, it'll be all serial killers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our local union had a minimum of 22 pr hr plus benefits until forced to take on school buses.

I know 6 figure drivers, full benefit package, pension, great health care, vacation, great contract.

We have no problem getting guys, its putting up with the millennials that is the challenge.
View Quote

Let me preface this by saying i'm not a truck driver, I dont want to be a truck driver nor do I know anything about truck drivers. But if someone paid me 22 dollars an hour with benefits and a pension and all I had to do was show up and nap but also listen to you constantly bitch about millennials id quit too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It
just amazes me that every one of the local companies has got signs and
billboards and web ads about how desperate they are for drivers but they
won't hire anyone that doesn't have 6-12 mos of OTR
View Quote
Sister company of the one I work for has a difficult time finding drivers as the insurance won't cover them until they have 2+ years experience and ZERO violations

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sister company of the one I work for has a difficult time finding drivers as the insurance won't cover them until they have 3 years experience and ZERO violations

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I got my CDL I had a spotless 20 year driving record and could easily pass a drug test and couldn't even find a decent company willing to hire me. Everyone wanted a minimum of 3 years verifiable driving experience. Not sure if this shortage is that bad where I used to live.

Sister company of the one I work for has a difficult time finding drivers as the insurance won't cover them until they have 3 years experience and ZERO violations

Some of them are that way and will even ignore your app  if the only negative on your record is an accideMt where insurance and both  investigating agencies say you had 0% fault
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As a professional driver (not otr) I bet your safety record is better than the average company with a DOT number by a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Govt regulations.
2. Most OTR companies are extremely shitty to work for. This includes but not limited to:
- mileage pay (not including 'out of route miles', only paying loaded miles. Etc.)
- taking a % of the FSC away from the driver.
- gross % of the load pay. ( companies skim from the top )
- sucking drivers into truck leases from the company. Or truck purchases via the company. So you get an old, out of date, broken truck at the end of 5+ years.
- mandating new equipment (3-5 years old at signing max.) Thus sucking the driver into more debt.

I can go on. I employ 6 individuals that I consider OTR drivers. They get paid hourly. If they're sitting waiting to get loaded, or unloaded. They get paid. If they're driving, they get paid. If they're sitting in traffic, they get paid.

All the guys I employ came from the previous situations above. They all can't believe how nice it is to get a consistent pay check. And not have to rush, or hurry, etc. Sure, it costs me a bit more money. But they will also do whatever I need, when I need it done. At the end, I'd rather pay more for a good, loyal, employee.

My fleet is about 100 trucks give or take.

We've unfortunately had 4 recorded CSA accidents in the last year.

Only 1 of them was our fault. Twice we were rear ended (still goes on CSA score as a generic accident), one where my truck rear ended another vehicle, however it was caught on PA state trooper dash cam. And they relieved us of fault. And one where my driver suffered a stroke while driving and rolled the truck.

So on our crash score, we are bad.

On our general points score, we are below average  as I employ 8 mechanics in 3 divisions. Older pre-emission units, but we do our best to upkeep them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
A shortage?  that's unreal.

The highways around where we live are jam packed with trucks.  You can hardly travel from one local place to another without having to play dodge the truck 20-30 times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After 25 years in a factory setting as a supervisor my brother decided to give OTR trucking a go.  He took the training locally since it was paid by the state because his plant closed.  

He's out in the Pacific Northwest training with the company right now.  If you have a wife and kids, I don't think it would be a healthy job for the family.  Since he's single with no kids, he might like it.  He's been out there about a month and has another month to go.  Two months would be a stretch to not see your kids for most families.

He'll be driving in the Midwest region once he's assigned a truck.  He can take loads anywhere in the country or stay regional.  He's planning on doing his "re-sets" in a place he would like to visit so he can spend time there.
View Quote

Working as a company driver in a company truck, hell be driving where they tell him to. Hell be restarting wherever he is when his hours get short. He's in for a surprise.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

Dan, what's your average speed and miles covered for the above scenario ?

In New England, I average about 40 mph, for about 9 hours, ballpark.

So that would be about 22.40 / hour using his rates. What are these benefits you speak of? I had to buy my own CB and sat radio.

Good thing I dont get paid by the mile. I get a % of the total freight bill, currently.

And I'll use any lane I want, just like you do, GV.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top