Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 4:48:03 PM EDT
New house has an ADT system installed but they want $50 a month to monitor it. What I don't want to do is drill ANY holes or run tons of wire. Is it possible to make it work without involving ADT?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I did something like that a few years ago with an old ADT system. I found the manual online and programmed everything how I wanted it setup. I then wired it into a small PC that would send out e-mail alerts whenever it was triggered. What kind of functionality do you want out of it? Any idea what system it is and which components its using?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't be home until tomorrow but really I want is the smoke detectors to work. I wouldn't mind notification of glass or door breakage. But mainly audible smoke alarms. I could install stand alone smoke detectors in each room but I don't want to drill holes and the ADT system is already there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I reworked an old IHR system at my office and hooked it a phone dialer that I picked up from Radio Shack.

The dialer has two separate inputs, one for fire and one for intrusion, and you can program it to call up to three different phone numbers of your choosing when the alarm is activated.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I reworked an old IHR system at my office and hooked it a phone dialer that I picked up from Radio Shack.

The dialer has two separate inputs, one for fire and one for intrusion, and you can program it to call up to three different phone numbers of your choosing when the alarm is activated.

View Quote

I don't even care about being remotely notified. Just beeps/alarm inside the house.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes you can. We did it for years.  It can work without ADTs service.

Other companies can use your existing setup.  There are a couole.of adjustments and hardware replacements but mostly it is the same (ADT to EMG).
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
At the very most you probably need a new keypad / head end. You should be able to use it in place. I hate monitored systems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
DT.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes you can. We did it for years.  It can work without ADTs service.

Other companies can use your existing setup.  There are a couole.of adjustments and hardware replacements but mostly it is the same (ADT to EMG).
View Quote

How did you do it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
ADT uses Ademco/Honeywell.

You can either call a local company to take it over cheaper (if you want monitoring) or you can "bump" the panel to remove the lockout code & change your user codes.  

We have a whole sub-forum for alarms/cameras/safes;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/46_Safes_andamp__Home_Security.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
What type of system is it?  ADT is not a system....  maybe a Vista 20P?

If it's a Vista 20P, you could remove the main key panel, and replace with a new unlocked one.  Program how you would like, and take control over the rest of the system.  

One thing to note, a system like that is not the easiest thing in the world to program.  If you are techy at all, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't want monitoring, it should work locally no problem.

If you want monitoring call AlarmRelay/Watchlight.
They provide full monitoring services for ~$8 a month.
Ask if they can work with your panel.
If it's a standard panel using standard codes, I don't know why they couldn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
i already had a contract with vivint so they came and put in an adaptor panel on the pre-wired sensors along with a secondary panel downstairs so we can control the system from upstairs or down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what my daughter sent me. No model # but it's honeywell and looks fairly new.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
How is it being monitored?  Are you using a land line or a wireless transponder.  

If it's a land line, you could simply drop the LL or disconnect from the LL.

If it's a wireless transponder, disconnect the transponder which is probably near the battery backup and circuitry.

That's a start.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is what my daughter sent me. No model # but it's honeywell and looks fairly new.
<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/user/hero2three/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4218_zpsifgyduob.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/hero2three/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4218_zpsifgyduob.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's the keypad.

You need to find the panel (tan metal can) - it's probably in a closet near the keypad, the basement, or the garage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/user/hero2three/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4218_zpsifgyduob.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/hero2three/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4218_zpsifgyduob.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a Honeywell panel.  So you have a Vista system.

I have a Vista 20P system that I installed in my new home by myself.

I'm not an expert on how the commercial systems are setup, but my guess is that most of the programming and codes are in the keypad.  Remove the old one, and pull the battery from your panel for a few minutes.  Then install a brand new unlocked keypad and program it how you like.

A new keypad like this one would work.  Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-6160-Ademco-Display/dp/B000H05WDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461795184&sr=8-1&keywords=vista+20p+keypad
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, just so you are aware... you wouldn't have to drill holes or run wires anyway.  Not this day and age.  

I installed my 20P system well after my house was built.  All wireless sensors.  In 5 years, I have not replaced one battery.  I've replaced a couple sensors that went bad, but no dead batteries yet.  I probably have 20 or more sensors too.  The wired sensors are better for sure, but every year that goes by, that because less of an issue.

Regardless of that, I would still try and use what you have like you are doing.  Keep in mind that programing a Vista system like that from scratch is not easy.  Those systems are meant to be installed by the "pros".  I was able to do it though, and I'm nothing special.  Lots of manual reading, and YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Vista 21ip and added an Envisalink 3 to monitor it myself over the Internet.  No monthly fees and it works really well as long as the Internet connection is up.  Now the newer EnvisaLink 4 is out.

http://www.eyezon.com/
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw an ad in Sunday Paper last year for $199 alarm from ADT. Got it for my mom, $30 month monitoring offered cellular for $35. Haggle with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw an ad in Sunday Paper last year for $199 alarm from ADT. Got it for my mom, $30 month monitoring offered cellular for $35. Haggle with them.
View Quote

$30 a month is pretty high for alarm monitoring ever since Simplisafe came out.  They offer cellular monitoring for $15/month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top