Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/28/2016 3:42:56 PM EDT
Harris Publications which publishes "Combat Handguns," a bunch of other gun rags, and other enthusiast publications is shutting down immediately, according to this report.

Harris Publications is Shutting Down

Company statement

Read the full company statement below:

It is with great sadness that we are announcing the closing of Harris Publications.  For nearly 40 years, Harris Publications has been a mainstay in enthusiast publishing.  

We are extremely grateful for the tremendous contributions of our employees, past and present.  The hard work and dedication of our creative, sales, circulation and operations teams and the talents of our freelance editors, writers, photographers and designers are what allowed us to continue delivering thoughtful and beautiful magazines to our readers.

The magazine publishing industry has been through turmoil in the face of the rapid ascendance of digital media, changing consumer content preferences, magazine wholesaler struggles and consolidation in the supply chain.  We have tried mightily to persevere against these forces, but have been unable to overcome these challenges.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
damn
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The magazine publishing industry has been through turmoil in the face of the rapid ascendance of digital media
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Times 'a changin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The magazine publishing industry has been through turmoil in the face of the rapid ascendance of digital media

Makes sense, I haven't bought a magazine in nearly a decade.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Print media in the US has been on the decline for a while now. Most gun magazines are about worthless anyway. The reviews are always positive no matter how big a piece of crap the gun/accessory is. They can't print accurate reviews or the risk pissing off their advertisers.

Recoil magazine and a couple others like it are taking over with more glitz and a more "modern look" to appeal to the younger demographic. They are little more than run on advertising though. Trying to pedal the latest in tacticool and telling their audience what they need to buy to be a "Cool guy" or "operator".

I used to buy a lot of gun magazines before I realized they were mostly fluff and BS. More will go under soon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most "rags" weren't even fit to wipe ones ass with.  Why so sad?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I refuse to buy "digital" magazines.  They can't stack on top of the toilet bowl tank.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at all the restaurant chains posting bad news today too.

Doesn't Harris publish Glock Annual?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Times 'a changin.
View Quote

Yep

Can't blame them, it's hard to compete with digital media
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy "digital" magazines.  They can't stack on top of the toilet bowl tank.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully they'll revive somehow online.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Print media in the US has been on the decline for a while now. Most gun magazines are about worthless anyway. The reviews are always positive no matter how big a piece of crap the gun/accessory is. They can't print accurate reviews or the risk pissing off their advertisers.

Recoil magazine and a couple others like it are taking over with more glitz and a more "modern look" to appeal to the younger demographic. They are little more than run on advertising though. Trying to pedal the latest in tacticool and telling their audience what they need to buy to be a "Cool guy" or "operator".

I used to buy a lot of gun magazines before I realized they were mostly fluff and BS. More will go under soon.
View Quote

I can completely sympathize.  All the publications aren't like that though, at the risk of self-promotion, you should try reading Be Ready! Magazine from Firearms News.  It is certainly more news that you can use than folks trying to be operators.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I barely look at gun magazines anymore. I get Recoil on my iPad because it has pretty pictures and some decent articles. The idea that anyone buys them to get actual honest assements of guns is absurd. Someone needs to bring Pistolero back.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]
About the only thing they were good for was photos of new guns, and they might as well be on Jupiter when it comes to the paper publishing time lag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. Most were just positive reviews of whatever sponsored bullshit was being pushed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Print is dead. ~ Dr. Egan Spengler
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Ballistic
Combat Handguns
Guns & Weapons
Survivor's Edge
Tactical Weapons
Special Weapons

And a publisher of all the cheesy buyers guides.

This reads like a list of all the magazines I've never purchased.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I LOVE magazines and books. I friggin HATE that everything is going digital. Every time I stop in at my local Barnes & Noble or Hastings... there are less and less magazines and books (and CDs). I hate that. I guess that this dinosaur is being drug to his extinction unwillingly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#20]
While i have fond memories of reading the varios gun mags in middle school, and know that but for them, i may not have gotten into the hobby which has shaped my personal and professiinal life, i cant say they will be missed much.  the reality is that hobbyist like oldpainless, sites like barrels by the inch and youtubers like hickock45 can provide more information about a wider variety of issues (and in much greater depth) than a monthly magazine.  we are so much better off today in terms of high quality information.

Plus, the hobbyist blogger  can give honest reviews without first  checking with the marketing dept.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Times 'a changin.
View Quote
Let's hope the NY Times is the next to go.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty much. Most were just positive reviews of whatever sponsored bullshit was being pushed.
View Quote

Stopped buying their crap for years, instead saving coin for more firearms lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup!

How many times did you see:

Sub-MOA sharpshooter!!11

Ultra-Reliable Tactical entry gun!!

We fired 100 rds of whatever and the gun functioned flawlessly, buy with confidence!!  (Remington R51, anyone?)
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Who is going to pick up the torch and write a glowing review of some gun or gun widget right across from a full page ad for that very product?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#26]
We should ask for a government bailout .....Anyone want to buy a buggy whip ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Only gun mag I get anymore is the American Rifleman . . . and I do actually read it ! ! !

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#28]
When gun magazines have gun article on one page and full page ad for said gun on another = loss of credibility.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Times 'a changin.

Yep

It is hard to compete with every Arfcom type website, youtube, and the webpages dedicated to firearms....which have punked the shit out of the magazines over some shit that has been foisted on the public by some gun makers in the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Damn
View Quote

It does make me feel old.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#32]
In other news, the companies that make ice boxes, the ones who make telegraphs, and the guy who operates the brakes on the caboose are out of a job.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is hard to compete with every Arfcom type website, youtube, and the webpages dedicated to firearms....which have punked the shit out of the magazines over some shit that has been foisted on the public by some gun makers in the last few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Times 'a changin.

Yep

..and they deserve every bit of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When gun magazines have gun article on one page and full page ad for said gun on another = loss of credibility.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#35]
In a way it is sad because I remember reading all of the great '80s gun rags my Dad had when I was a kid. They were good back then.

Now they are complete garbage though and I wouldn't trust any of the reviews especially after the R51 debacle. I say good riddance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Print is dead.

Get realtime, less biased reviews (with video and instant forum feedback) or get a couple of month old, biased version.

Cars, guns, tools etc are much better served by internet forums then print.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ballistic
Combat Handguns
Guns & Weapons
Survivor's Edge
Tactical Weapons
Special Weapons

And a publisher of all the cheesy buyers guides.

This reads like a list of all the magazines I've never purchased.
View Quote

I know... I buy a lot of magazines every month, none of those are on my list. I like reading magazines and don't mind paying for Quality, none of those titles offer any editorial creativity and are essentially the same product with different pictures. You would think that the gun rags would look at their industry and find an area to specialize in rather than running the same articles as their competition a month apart telling us how great the Taurus Curve is.

The magazine rack at Barnes and Noble is about to get less crowded, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#38]
None of 'em been worth a damn since Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith died.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Rough business to be in, these days.

We're definitely in a new era.

I like how Motor Trend has adapted over the last few years. That (at least from where I'm sitting) is how it's done - realize that you're a content and entertainment company, not a family of magazines.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh noes!1!  How will I find out the answer to 9mm VS .45!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I LOVE magazines and books. I friggin HATE that everything is going digital. Every time I stop in at my local Barnes & Noble or Hastings... there are less and less magazines and books (and CDs). I hate that. I guess that this dinosaur is being drug to his extinction unwillingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm reading this on the AR15 Magazine!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that the truth......

What's fun is that there is still so much knowledge out there that hasn't been digitized and put on the web yet.....I love being able to go to a 50 y/o American Rifleman, or 1961 version of "Small Arms of the World", and pull some obscure data, or be able to ID some bizarre gun or part.......

I never threw out my VHS player either....
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My only mag subscription is to Small Arms Review.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
None of 'em been worth a damn since Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith died.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In a way it is sad because I remember reading all of the great '80s gun rags my Dad had when I was a kid. They were good back then.

Now they are complete garbage though and I wouldn't trust any of the reviews especially after the R51 debacle. I say good riddance.
View Quote

Yeah, I saved a decent chunk of my dad's old G&A magazines from the trash (unfortunately, I did not have space for all of them, by a longshot, so a ton got thrown out, including issues I would love to be able to read or reference due to my changing interests).  They were pretty good, had a lot of interesting stuff.  Interesting historical articles, good articles on hunting, on things like African rifles, Cooper's Corner, a nice blackpowder section with Phil Spangenberger, assessments of some pretty unique or unusual guns, past and present, and more serious reviews, which were not always glowing, to be sure, and a RKBA section that was pretty hardcore.  And you had pieces by some of the greats in the firearms industry, some of who were regular contributors.  Today's version is garbage by comparison.  Once the last Cooper's Corner was published after his death, I had no real incentive anymore to even look at G&A.  Other current gun magazines are usually of the same calibre as today's G&A.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What's fun is that there is still so much knowledge out there that hasn't been digitized and put on the web yet.....I love being able to go to a 50 y/o American Rifleman, or 1961 version of "Small Arms of the World", and pull some obscure data, or be able to ID some bizarre gun or part.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of those old magazines are  great references.  A lot have info I have a hard time finding anywhere online, and often cannot find it at all.  I really wish I could have saved more of what my dad threw out years ago.  He saved every issue of G&A from 1973-1999.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, I saved a decent chunk of my dad's old G&A magazines from the trash (unfortunately, I did not have space for all of them, by a longshot, so a ton got thrown out, including issues I would love to be able to read or reference due to my changing interests).  They were pretty good, had a lot of interesting stuff.  Interesting historical articles, good articles on hunting, on things like African rifles, Cooper's Corner, a nice blackpowder section with Phil Spangenberger, assessments of some pretty unique or unusual guns, past and present, and more serious reviews, which were not always glowing, to be sure, and a RKBA section that was pretty hardcore.  And you had pieces by some of the greats in the firearms industry, some of who were regular contributors.  Today's version is garbage by comparison.  Once the last Cooper's Corner was published after his death, I had no real incentive anymore to even look at G&A.  Other current gun magazines are usually of the same calibre as today's G&A.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a lot of my dad's from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Much better magazine and a much different time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#48]
The most entertaining mag writers have always been the "doers" like Kokalis, Keith, etc.  Nobody wants to read some hack's 79th take on 9mm vs 45, or revolvers vs autos for CCW.  In the past 20 years, that's about all we've gotten.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Times 'a changin.

Yep

You get no argument from me over that bullshit. Lots of people lost all professional credibility over that bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I subscribe to Guns & Weapons for LE. Wonder if I'll get my money back.      
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top