BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
"Raytheon Can Turn Old American-Made M60A3 Tanks Into Killing Machines"
View Quote

Weren't they already killing machines?  Still pretty effective too, USMC M60's raped Iraqi armor just about as hard as Abrams did.  Hmm, wonder if there's a study comparing actual combat effectiveness between the two.

Wiki:
In early February 1991, US Marines used 200 M60A1s of the 2nd Battalion drove north from Khafji, Saudi Arabia into Kuwait. In Kuwait, they encountered an Iraqi force of T-54/55, Type 69, and T-72 tanks at Kuwait City International Airport. The Marines won this battle, destroying some 100 Iraqi tanks with only one M60A1 lost
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weren't they already killing machines?  Still pretty effective too, USMC M60's raped Iraqi armor just about as hard as Abrams did.  Hmm, wonder if there's a study comparing actual combat effectiveness between the two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's being updated with the Abram's 120mm smoothbore cannon, digital fire-control system, and a 950 horse power diesel engine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's being updated with the Abram's 120mm smoothbore cannon, digital fire-control system, and a 950 horse power diesel engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they are hot rodding it?  Hope they upgrade the suspension............
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I miss the A1 we had

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]

I like it.

Wish they would make a new tank though. The next war is probably not going to be in Europe.

I'd like to see a smaller Sherman style tank that could be taken down for overseas or air transport, ready made to assemble quickly once a beach head has been established. I  believe that large numbers of light easily  transportable and easily rebuilt tanks would be better. I mean if we are going to seriously project force over seas, we should have a small tank that is purpose designed to be transported by barge and transport plane.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the fuel range will be vrs the Abrams
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Neva been done before II

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Ha ha, WTF is that thing?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
The M60A1 would have been great if they had left that ridiculous mini turret off it and used a regular commanders cupola like the Israeli retrofits.

Mini turrets infested many of the 1950-1970 US armor designs and they are just worthless.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's pretty cool. Always liked the m60a3.
View Quote

Same here. It has the classic "tank" silhouette like the Panther. I was stationed at Fort Hood in the early 80s when the 1st Cav and 2nd Armored division were there. When 2AD rolled out to the field they went as a division. Never saw so many tanks in one place at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Upgrade for WoT!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I miss the A1 we had

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sweet!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Wonder who the buyer would be....Taiwan?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

An M60, upgraded.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
How about an upgraded M67 Zippo tank version?

Something about ISIS running in circles while on fire makes me happy inside.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
  M60 Israeli

SABRA MBT
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
The M60A3 is cool and all but I want a tank with a proper boiling vessel so make mine a Chieftain.

Oh I guess it attacks other tanks too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Wiki:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wiki:
In early February 1991, US Marines used 200 M60A1s of the 2nd Battalion drove north from Khafji, Saudi Arabia into Kuwait. In Kuwait, they encountered an Iraqi force of T-54/55, Type 69, and T-72 tanks at Kuwait City International Airport. The Marines won this battle, destroying some 100 Iraqi tanks with only one M60A1 lost

Iraqis - You can lead a horse to water...

That and they were probably scared shitless going up against Marines

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  It's the quintessential classic tank design IMO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#26]
With modern technology a Sherman could be brought back and made into a killing machine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#27]
It's the tank of my youth.  

I think it can be upgraded and while it can never be the first line vehicle it once was, it is good for defensive measures.  Hey, put them on our southern border.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I was in the 8th Engineer Bn, 1st Cavalry Division, at Fort Hood back in 81. Reagan was president and the military was going through a massive build up.

We had three of these AVLBs... it was all we could do to keep one of them running to tow the other two back from the field.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#29]
This was the last active duty M60A3 I saw. =(  Nice brand new tracks on it too!

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/kalski/media/Vehicles/Picture028.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/Vehicles/Picture028.jpg</a>
View Quote

What's with all of the little hedgehog spines on the turret?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The best part is always climbing on top of them

View All Quotes

Falling off is pretty fun too...
Ask me how I know

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/kalski/media/Vehicles/Picture028.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/Vehicles/Picture028.jpg</a>

Reactive armor mounts, I beleive.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reactive armor mounts, I beleive.

http://olive-drab.com/images/id_m60a3_pettit_1cav_20051202_411_700.jpg

That makes sense... thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Question for our resident tank experts.  Why does the barrel have that profile, with the larger diameter section?  

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mounting points for reactive armor.

ETA Beat by 2 mins.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a guess, but I think those spikes would make unsophisticated ATGMs detonate before hitting the turret.

Similar concept to the RPG netting on MATVs or slat armor on Strykers

ETA- beat, and probably wrong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Question for our resident tank experts.  Why does the barrel have that profile, with the larger diameter section?  

View Quote

It is a bore evacuator that keeps smoke from coming back into the hull.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I need one of those on my .308 AR.  It is more than a bit overgassed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always wondered about the purpose of that larger part. Thank you!

ETA: Given that the M60 is diesel powered rather than turbine powered, is it more fuel efficient than the M1 Abrams tank?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Heavily modified M-60.  They Israelis have done this kind of mod on quite a few of them and also worked with the Turks on upgrading theirs.

I recently saw a pic of one that survived an ATGM hit in Syria, so I guess the upgraded armor works as advertised.  

The Ratheon upgrade in the article seems rather underwhelming to me in the armor department.  Adding on some slat armor isn't that much of an improvement compared to what has already been developed, and I don't think it is nearly enough to allow it to survive a modern tank v tank engagement.

-K
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Ratheon upgrade in the article seems rather underwhelming to me in the armor department.  Adding on some slat armor isn't that much of an improvement compared to what has already been developed, and I don't think it is nearly enough to allow it to survive a modern tank v tank engagement.
View Quote

I don't know about that, but for fighting in COIN it would probably be a better tank.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a really good idea, so good in fact that I fully expect it to be shelved.

I remember walking about the tank graveyard at Eglin AFB.  They did not look that rundown to me.  Rows upon rows of them just sitting there.  I think the AF use some for base defense.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Given that the M60 is diesel powered rather than turbine powered, is it more fuel efficient than the M1 Abrams tank?
View Quote

I'm not sure about the particulars of the engine but it can probably go 2-3 times as far on a gallon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Same here. It has the classic "tank" silhouette like the Panther. I was stationed at Fort Hood in the early 80s when the 1st Cav and 2nd Armored division were there. When 2AD rolled out to the field they went as a division. Never saw so many tanks in one place at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the coolest things I saw was a brigade of 2AD tanks driving in a column at NTC. A long, long  column.  The brigade commander says "Illinois" on the radio and every single tank turned 90 degrees right face on line.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ETA: Given that the M60 is diesel powered rather than turbine powered, is it more fuel efficient than the M1 Abrams tank?
View Quote

Very much so, but also louder, more visible exhaust, slower, weak acceleration and frequent drive train issues.  Hopefully the new diesel fixes some of this without making it into the fuel hog the M-1 is.  
TBH, no idea why they're doing this, we have several thousand more or less brand new M-1s in storage, I can't imagine dropping a more frugal engine into them wouldn't be much more cost effective than replacing everything but the hull and turret on the M-60.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Very much so, but also louder, more visible exhaust, slower, weak acceleration and frequent drive train issues.  Hopefully the new diesel fixes some of this without making it into the fuel hog the M-1 is.  
TBH, no idea why they're doing this, we have several thousand more or less brand new M-1s in storage, I can't imagine dropping a more frugal engine into them wouldn't be much more cost effective than replacing everything but the hull and turret on the M-60.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overseas sales.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

bayonet mount - nothing scarier than a tank with a big assed knife sticking out in front of it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Very much so, but also louder, more visible exhaust, slower, weak acceleration and frequent drive train issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very much so, but also louder, more visible exhaust, slower, weak acceleration and frequent drive train issues.

My understanding is that the newer diesels solve a lot of problems.  

Quoted:
Hopefully the new diesel fixes some of this without making it into the fuel hog the M-1 is.

This engine has only 70% of the power, so even at the same specific consumption it would use less fuel.

Quoted:  

Client states. We exported a lot of these.

And the idea of putting a new engine in the Abrams is a good one. The LV 100-5 was a great new turbine that produced the same power with 50% less fuel consumption, 64% less downtime and 3,000 hours between overhauls rather than 750-1000.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I miss the A1 we had

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/855D906A-0015-43A2-AD58-AC8572193616_zpslsas4l6u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/DDFA2BE7-EE3A-400B-8A19-97071FD10AC1_zpsrpxfmarp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks like a needle-nose?  Did it have the RISE upgrade?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top