Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2016 8:57:47 AM EDT
http://wgme.com/news/local/vicious-dog-attack-in-boothbay-harbor

BOOTHBAY HARBOR (WGME) - A man is forced to take drastic action, after a vicious dog attack in Boothbay Harbor.

Police say a dog was running loose, when it ran after a golden retriever in a park.

To Brady and Cindy Pearce, 9-year-old Buddy is family.

On Sunday morning, they weren't sure if their golden retriever was going to make it.

Brady, a local lobsterman, was unloading traps in Barrett Park when he says a pit bull terrier that was running loose approached them.

"He just latched on him and I couldn't, I kicked him, punched him, everything and he wouldn't, he wouldn't let go," Brady Pearce said.

So he grabbed a lobster trap and starting hitting the dog to break Buddy free.

"Finally it broke him loose after about 30, 40 times, he broke loose and he staggered off over that way and I grabbed my dog and threw him in the truck," Brady Pearce said.

Bleeding badly, they rushed him to the emergency vet.

"It broke out three of his teeth and it broke his palate and he had to have surgery as soon as he got to the emergency vet to stop the bleeding and to remove the teeth," Cindy Pearce said.

The Pearces say this is a popular park that families often come to. They say if Buddy hadn't been attacked, someone else could have been.

Police say the other dog was later found dead nearby. Its owner told investigators the dog had gotten out, but police say she didn't report it. Officials say they will meet with the district attorney to decide if she'll be charged.

Buddy is in good spirits, but still has a long way to go.

And the Pearce's aren't letting him out of their sight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
robster craw
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
In before DNA truthers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
But its how they are raised which allows them to latch on and not let go!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Good trap
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
So could you not use the dog as bait?  Waste not want not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before DNA truthers.
View Quote

breed of peace!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Why was he trapping lobster in a Park?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Lobsterman not carrying a pocket knife?

Poor Buddy

One of the main reasons I keep my pocket knives razor sharp is if I have to remove the head from a breed of peace if it attacks my pup.

I'll have no problem going straight ISIS on a pit bull's neck if I have to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been to Maine, but I heard that Lobsters eat squirrels, and climb trees to capture them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Yet people still believe they are just as peaceful,as other dogs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
golden retriever called the pit bull the "N" word.  

So it was justified.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
pitpulls din du nuffin! he need mo doggy treats fo dem obedience trainin! he aint wan hurt no body!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Lobsterman didn't have a knife!?!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]
This just in.
Pit Bulls are still mean.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Hand the owner of the pit bull that nice fat emergency vet bill.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Poor Buddy

One of the main reasons I keep my pocket knives razor sharp is if I have to remove the head from a breed of peace if it attacks my pup.

View Quote

I'd say place it on the side of the body behind the front shoulder about halfway up, run it in, and then use the palm of your hand to push it as far as you can.

Shut down the powerplant like people try to do on hogs.

In hindsight, I'd say right behind the jaw and go up and down looking for the jugular. Thin skinned this may be the best way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hand the owner of the pit bull that nice fat emergency vet bill.
View Quote
Plus some pain and suffering for the victims, including visitors just trying to enjoy the park but being struck by this horrible scene of violence.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lobsters in Barrett's park this time of year are not all that uncommon.  First few warm, sunny days.  It doesn't take that long really.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
See the part about 30 or 40 times? Guy got in his cardio for the day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Breed of peace...
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The guy is an old dude.  He was just out walking the dog with his wife.  Knives are not always the best self defense tool for people that age anyways.  Around here people don't expect problems like this - though maybe they should.  I'm more worried about rabid creatures than dogs or most people.  Half the people here leave their keys in their cars without any problems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The guy is an old dude.  He was just out walking the dog with his wife.  Knives are not always the best self defense tool for people that age anyways.  Around here people don't expect problems like this - though maybe they should.  I'm more worried about rabid creatures than dogs or most people.  Half the people here leave their keys in their cars without any problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article says that the guy was a lobsterman and was "unloading traps"

Pocket knives aren't just for self defense.  I would expect a lobsterman to have one.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd say place it on the side of the body behind the front shoulder about halfway up, run it in, and then use the palm of your hand to push it as far as you can.

In hindsight, I'd say right behind the jaw and go up and down looking for the jugular. Thin skinned this may be the best way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor Buddy

Across the neck works pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pocket knives aren't just for self defense.  I would expect a lobsterman to have one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the story on the local news last night.  I missed the first part but most of the story showed him with his dog and his wife.  You could be right about unloading traps but the way the story went on TV it looked like they were just hanging around there or walking the dog.  I think lobstermen use the park sometimes for their gear.  I think it used to be a working waterfront area and some of that may still be grandfathered into the property usage.  Not sure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
BOP

Isolated incident.

There is no dog but peet bool. Insha'bull
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm more worried about Porcupines and Coyotes!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good trap
View Quote
As a fisherman not just when fishing I always have multiple knives ready for use. This habit has saved mine and others lives before. A nice sharp 7 inch filet knife would make quick work of a dog.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a fisherman not just when fishing I always have multiple knives ready for use. This habit has saved mine and others lives before. A nice sharp 7 inch filet knife would make quick work of a dog.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good trap

This.  Why didn't anyone have a knife?  Imagine if that dog was clamped on to a two year old, wtf are you going to do, break out your camera phone and blind it with your video light?

At the very least, crush the windpipe, cut of it's air, pull the legs apart and break its hip, do something.  The field expedient lobster trap worked, but that would've been too little, too late if it was a small person being attacked.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#31]
props.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In before DNA truthers.
View Quote
LOL

Breed of Peace, dammit!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Its owner told investigators the dog had gotten out, but police say she didn't report it.
View Quote

I cannot stand irresponsible dog owners. Bet she was saying "But he's never bitten anybody before!"
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I have owned 7 golden retrievers, I had to kill 3 dogs attacking them, all pit bulls. .357 sig works really well
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#35]
No not a pit bull. No fucking way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top