Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2016 12:19:47 AM EDT
Check it out.  4 hour documentary on one of the greatest rock bands of all time, IMO.

I've been a fan since the late 70's.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip.   Just fired up the roku
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Tap of double
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Solo on the end of that is amazing
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I love me some Tom petty.. Been a fan for many many years..

The solo at the end will make you tear a steering wheel up!!

ETA.. I hot linked it.. ETA2.. I also remember his video on MTV as a lil feller too!

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I started it at 10 pm one night and I had no idea it was 4 hours long. I couldn't turn it off and went to bed at 2 the next morning. Damn good documentary.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check it out.  4 hour documentary on one of the greatest rock bands of all time, IMO.

http://youtu.be/dXYl5NrHPb4

View Quote

That is a great documentry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Four hours?  ahhh  no
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I started it at 10 pm one night and I had no idea it was 4 hours long. I couldn't turn it off and went to bed at 2 the next morning. Damn good documentary.
View Quote
I did it over 2 nights.  Couldn't wait to watch the second half last night.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I might have to check that out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Really really good show! It took a few nights but it gave me a whole new appreciation.  I had only been a casual fan prior.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#11]
4 hours?

Sheesh. Give me the Cliff notes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Really really good show! It took a few nights but it gave me a whole new appreciation.  I had only been a casual fan prior.
View Quote
I had forgotten all about that Dylan /Petty tour.  I wish I had gone to see a show.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the top 5 American singer/song writers of all times....

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Halfway through it, it's great.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/rGDSmMReXjE
View Quote
Agreed.  The guy could write a song in 10 minutes on a bar napkin that you will listen to for the next 30 years.

In the documentary, it's really impressive how many great musicians who look up to him and wanted to play with him over the years.  Cash, Dylan, George Harrison, Orbison, Del Shannon, Ringo, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Agreed.  The guy could write a song in 10 minutes on a bar napkin that you will listen to for the next 30 years.  

In the documentary, it's really impressive how many great musicians who look up to him and wanted to play with him over the years.  Cash, Dylan, George Harrison, Orbison, Del Shannon, Ringo, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true... You got a link to this specific Documentary?  Thx
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I got many a mile over the speed limit to that song...

They are great to see live.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Tom Petty is AWESOME! Thanks for tip man, checking it out tonight. At least partially anyway
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Great singer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's on Netflix right now.  I just searched, apparently it's available on a few different streaming sites.

Also, on youtube for $3.99.  Well worth it, IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's on Netflix right now.  I just searched, apparently it's available on a few different streaming sites.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cnv82IrJU0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cnv82IrJU0

Bin watched it last night damn good Documentary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I demolished a old house on 441 In Gainesville...I had so many old hippies and stoners accuse me of destroying Toms old house it was laughable.  More so when I discovered he never lived there but further up the 441
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Great documentary, Netflix has a good one on the Eagles. too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of Tom Petty, but not a superfan by any means. Is 4 hours going to keep my attention/be worth it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
TP is awsome, was the first concert i attended
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

TP is awsome, was the first concert i attended
View Quote
Me too.  1986ish.  The Georgia Satellites opened for them.  They were great too!

I've seen the Heartbreakers a bunch of times over the years.  Every time they put on a great show.  True rockers in the best sense.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of Tom Petty, but not a superfan by any means. Is 4 hours going to keep my attention/be worth it?
View Quote

Yes.  I was not a super fan either.  It keeps you interested.  I spread it out over a few nights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Mudcrutch's second album is out. If you are a fan, you'll want this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I demolished a old house on 441 In Gainesville...I had so many old hippies and stoners accuse me of destroying Toms old house it was laughable.  More so when I discovered he never lived there but further up the 441
View Quote

What'd you do for an encore, tear down Dub's???
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would say plan on watching the first half.  Their beginnings as a band is interesting and their relatively easy rise to success because of their clear talent, is impressive.

If that catches your interest,  watch the second half.  If not, you still got a good picture of the band and their records through the 80's.

The reason it's 4 hours, is there's really just that much music to cover.  They've been consistently putting out quality, successful records since 1977 until today.   Add Tom Petty ' s solo work and the Wilbury's, and it's a lot to cover.

You're left feeling very impressed with them, especially Petty.  He's a gifted songwriter, showman, and businessman.   He never sacrificed quality or integrity when it came to the music.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
No kidding?  That's cool.  I'll have to check that out.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Try this link first. NPR had it online, but my phone won't show me the desktop version of the site to see if the page is still the same.

NPR First Listen
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Excellent documentary. My only criticism is that they glossed over the "she's the one" soundtrack.  Technically, they gave no mention of it at all, but there was a clip where they were in the studio playing Angel Dream.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not a superfan either, but I watched it last night in one sitting-- yes, it is definitely worth it.

I may be a bit biased since I grew up in Gainesville, but this documentary was awesome.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched it in one shot. I was planning on splitting it up over a couple of nights, but it was interesting enough that I just couldn't bring myself to pause it.

Good doc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not a superfan either, but I watched it last night in one sitting-- yes, it is definitely worth it.

I may be a bit biased since I grew up in Gainesville, but this documentary was awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost feels like a visit home, doesn't it?  :)

Here ya go, brother:

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I got about an hour into it.....and will resume someday.

I've never been a huge fan but it's inspirational to see how someone with nothing but a passion could do what he/they did.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Mike Campbell Showcases his Fender Custom Shop Heartbreaker
Nice Axe

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here ya go, brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPUJKk2_dg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here ya go, brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPUJKk2_dg

Im not sure which version is better, but both Johnny Cash or Tom Pettys.  I almost lean toward tom pettys because that was the first time i heard the song to begine with.  All i know is that it is bad ass.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Great doc, and a hell of a band. Enjoyed it tremendously.

Few men, few bands, ever, could produce that many great catchy songs over so many years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're touring too. Missed their show here in Denver last week

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#43]
My father always played Tom Petty on summer road trips so all of his music has a certain Nostalgia to it for me. Watching the documentary gives me a whole new outlook on the music that was made by a great songwriter. I'm definitely going to go back and relisten to a lot of his music. It's been a long while.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad I saw this thread, great documentary so far.  Does that liberal bitch of a cousin of his make an appearance later on?  Or will I be spared having to see and listen to her?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice.

One of my favorites. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDVfOAjZ_rI
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Great doc, and a hell of a band. Enjoyed it tremendously.  

Few men, few bands, ever, could produce that many great catchy songs over so many years.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had "American Girl" in my head all day- better than "Peanut Butter Jelly Time".

I also always thought it was about some chick hopping off of Beaty Towers (UF high rise dorm), but Wikipedia/Snopes has set me straight.

The line "she stood alone on her balcony..." isn't Beaty Towers because, well, Beaty Towers doesn't have balconies.

So, for 35 years I've been believing this myth.

Oh well, still a great documentary.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/dXYl5NrHPb4

View Quote

Dude...."greatest rock bands of all time" would disqualify the shit out of Tom Petty.  Dude...no fucking way.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I think I have had this on DVD for years and haven't gotten around to watching it.

I love Tom Petty, so does the wife. Must correct this.

Edit: it is rare when i can call what is essentially a slow rockabilly song "badass" but if you really listen to the lyrics to "I won't back down",  you'll realize it's definitely a badass song. Even the super simple, slow slide guitar solo is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Stan Lynch has a lake house next to my parents. Great guy with even better stories from his time as drummer in the band. I've met Don Henley and other amazing artists while boozing at his place. The funny thing is they all want to hear my flying stories. I try to steer the conversation back to music and touring shenanigans.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top