Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/26/2016 5:01:48 PM EDT
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these things.

Key West to northern tip of Alaska, impressive.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI
View Quote

They don't get much above 35 and are slow to do so... How is he getting around? (can't watch the vid) The Ruckus is too under-powered to be legal on the Interstate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Backroads I guess, he says he does 300 miles a day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea, but I'd definitely choose a different tool for the job, especially when you can find a shitton of more suitable bikes for $5000 on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the idea, but I'd definitely choose a different tool for the job, especially when you can find a shitton of more suitable bikes for $5000 on Craigslist.
View Quote

I know nothing about motorcycles, do they get 100 mpg like the Ruckus?

Advantage of a Ruckus is no motorcycle endorsement needed.

Also dirt simple to work on if you break down in that mountain range the vid started out with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I understood from the video he chose the Ruckus because he knew how to rebuild and fix it if needed all on the side of the road.  Live'n the dream but I would have to have a bigger more comfortable bike!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ultimate range is going to be more important than mpg in that scenario.

100mpg with a 1.2gal tank won't take you nearly as far as 45mpg with a 6.5gal tank.  This becomes an even bigger deal when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, vehicle weight makes a motorcycle more of a handful in the city but a pussycat on the highway.  It smooths out road bumps and makes the bike far more stable and wind-resistant at speed.  It's not an accident that a lot of cruisers tend towards the porky side:  A 600 mile ride on my 530# Magna is nothing a good stretch and a few cold beers can't fix.  On an 840# Indian Chieftain, you might feel better than if you'd driven a Chevy Tahoe there.  On a 460# sport bike, you're gonna want one of those heated cushions to sit on.  On a Ruckus, you might need physical therapy.

Quoted:
From what I understood from the video he chose the Ruckus because he knew how to rebuild and fix it if needed all on the side of the road.  Live'n the dream but I would have to have a bigger more comfortable bike!

There's absolutely something to be said for that, along with a bike that's light enough to actually pick up if it falls on anything besides smooth, dry pavement.  However, a modded up DR650 would still be waaay ahead of a Ruckus by that criteria.

Still, more power to him; he's out there and I'm riding to the office.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
there r days i want to pack up my truck and just leave for a few months.
wish i could.  

good on him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck a donorcycle, if you can't afford to tour the country in a 15 year old Honda Civic just don't do it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
50cc engine and lucky to see 35-40mph.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Backroads I guess, he says he does 300 miles a day.
View Quote

Ouch. Too uncomfortable and underpowered for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fuck a donorcycle, if you can't afford to tour the country in a 15 year old Honda Civic just don't do it.
View Quote

That's nice, honey.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Seeing the country slow on the backroads has advantages to being on a bike going fast on the interstate.

I totally get this guy on the Ruckus's mindset.

It is like the guys that only want to haul ass in a cigarette boat in FL and not explore all the cool inlets and stuff slow and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Preach it brother.

I would love to see this country strictly via the backroads and not the major interstates.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So it's a moped.

Yeah, I don't see going cross-country on a moped as being very fun.  And I don't see not having the experience to qualify for a motorcycle endorsement as a good thing.

But hey, if it wasn't for poor planning we'd never have "Into the Wild", so there's that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
How about fuel? It can't have that big of a tank.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]

One of my buddies used to have a highly modded one.

Would barely break 45mph
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about fuel? It can't have that big of a tank.
View Quote

He has tanks strapped on, but 100mpg goes far.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So it's a moped.

Yeah, I don't see going cross-country on a moped as being very fun.  And I don't see not having the experience to qualify for a motorcycle endorsement as a good thing.

But hey, if it wasn't for poor planning we'd never have "Into the Wild", so there's that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a moped.

You have different ideas of fun than me and no attempts at the chess tactics on chess.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seeing the country slow on the backroads has advantages to being on a bike going fast on the interstate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Even the Interstate seems scenic on a bike.  While I wouldn't want to spend an entire trip on I-80, the ability to get on the highway and put some miles behind you is a plus.

Come to think of it, one of the primary safety features of a motorcycle is its ability to get the fuck out of the way, something this thing really lacks.

Quoted:
You have different ideas of fun than me and no attempts at the chess tactics on chess.com

Hey, I do my five tactic puzzles a day :-)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, I get where a lot of the complaints are coming from that have been posted so far.

I will say that the guy is doing what any of us only dream we could do. Pack up and check out for a while. Just imagine some of the things he has seen on his journey! Helluva ride if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I totally get this guy on the Ruckus's mindset.

It is like the guys that only want to haul ass in a cigarette boat in FL and not explore all the cool inlets and stuff slow and quiet.
View Quote

Backroads are awesome, but it's nice to have the option.  Believe you me.

In fact, with the amount of water in Southern Louisiana, there are sections where the backroads all funnel into major interstate bridges.

I'd like to "explore the small inlets and bays" in a nice sailboat with a cabin and a galley instead of making multi-day ocean crossings in an open boat with a sleeping bag, to use your anaolgy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought my bike -- an '87 Honda VF700C -- from a guy that went cross-country twice.  Was on the road for about two months each time. Second time he did it with his g/f on the back (spent more times in hotels than camping on that trip).

I get it, you run with the tools you have.  I'm sure this guy had a great time and an unforgettable experience.

Still wouldn't do it on a moped :-)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Stupidest thing I ever heard of, since the guy who wanted to buy a Cessna to commute back and forth to Europe.

Last week,  I saw one of these on 826 in Miami.  The freak was a hazard to everyone around him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Preach it brother.

I would love to see this country strictly via the backroads and not the major interstates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preach it brother.

Get a 250cc dual sport. My longest trip was 2000 miles, through 6 states, over 6 days, and almost no Interstate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Yea nobody is out running Randal Flag on one of those.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Even the Interstate seems scenic on a bike.  While I wouldn't want to spend an entire trip on I-80, the ability to get on the highway and put some miles behind you is a plus.

Come to think of it, one of the primary safety features of a motorcycle is its ability to get the fuck out of the way, something this thing really lacks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  It might be weather, assholes, or hunger, but there will inevitably be times when, in the words of George Thorogood, "I don't care where I go as long as it ain't here!"

And when those times come, it's a real comfort to have a respectable amount of horsepower on tap

...and purring along at 35mph on a powerful bike at low revs is a pleasure all it's own.

Quoted:
Also, I get where a lot of the complaints are coming from that have been posted so far.

I will say that the guy is doing what any of us only dream we could do. Pack up and check out for a while. Just imagine some of the things he has seen on his journey! Helluva ride if you ask me.

Truth.

Ever since I visited Portland a couple of years ago, I've added a ride along the Oregon Trail to my must-ride list.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool trip but doing it on a Ruckus is kinda retarded.  I'm all for the challenge but good lord that had to be uncomfortable.   Parts availability would probably be about the same as any other Honda bike, not that you need many parts with a Honda though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I have done many many miles of traveling by bike and as long as my ass is happy I am happy.  Hard to see that happening on a little Ruckus
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Except the old Civic is a soul-sucking, joyless form of travel and bikes are tons of fun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Same same, but different...

I met a retired old dentist who had circumnavigated the country one and half times on a bicycle.  He said he sometimes went only 20 miles a day.  He told me that he loved the U.S. so much that he truly wanted to experience the people of this country.  I agreed with him but didn't have the time or money so made 80-100 a day.  

Maybe one day I'll retire...

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Substitute a BMW R1200GS for the Ruckus and I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I am pretty sure Mom and Dad are Western Unioning him money along the way, unless this guy quit with some good stock options or something.

That is why he is sending them post cards all the time.

Even doing what he is doing will take some cash to do, replace tires, spare parts, oil, food, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was in Morocco I ran into a guy from Sweden who had ridden there on a moped.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#39]
He could of used a Honda Grom and got nearly the same mileage with the ability to get higher speeds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He could of used a Honda Grom and got nearly the same mileage with the ability to get higher speeds.
View Quote

Why are higher speeds better?

I would love to do this slow and take in the places between point A and point B.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They don't get much above 35 and are slow to do so... How is he getting around? (can't watch the vid) The Ruckus is too under-powered to be legal on the Interstate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my roomate has one that was modded a bit goes almost 70
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#42]
bullshite

no way he could carry enough Preparation H for that trip
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have done it twice, once on a 1200LT and once on a 1150GS. Both bikes were amazing but I preferred the GS. The limiting factor on both trips was my ass (or lack there of.) 600 miles of back roads is a 12 plus hour day for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I just did a 470/380 two day ride...it was not on a Ruckus...good for a beer run but that guy has more of ass than I do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#45]
If I fit on a Ruckus, I would totally buy a Grom.    
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are very cool and practical if you live in a town with slow roads, but a Honda Grom is several light years more useable in every way for not much more money. I could easily see myself hopping on my GF's Grom and heading across country, wouldn't even be an issue-and while it won't match a Ruckus for MPG it still regularly gets 130+mpg in mixed city riding in our lake community.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds awesome, I would love to do it.
Here is how   with out pissing off all you that are is such a big hurry.
I would love to but I just don't have the time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#48]
That's awesome.

I'd choose an Africa Twin or Super Tenere for that ride though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My wife and I have thought about doing something like that when are kids are older. Maybe not that far but extended trips none the less.

Things I thought about:
The MC has to be able to move me, my wife, and our gear
What if the MC breaks down and I can't fix it or get it fixed quickly
Will my current MC work (2006 Honda VTX 1800 @ 40-43 mpg)
If I get a new MC by then what should I get
What MC brand is easiest or most convenient to fix or have fixed
Who is available to fix it on our planed route
How much money do you really need for food

View Quote

All motorcycle brands are easy to support in any town large enough to have a bike shop. The thruth is that the vast majority of motorcycles are reliable to the point that you are shocked to see a trip to a service department for repair in the first ten years you own it. I'm dealing with a exception to that right now, but the previous 14 motorcycles I have owned have been pretty damned hearty.

If you want to tour, get a touring bike. If you want to throw in a dirt road here and there, get an adventure bike. Without knowing what your needs and budget are its hard to recommend a bike for you. I rode from Detroit to Seattle and back when I was 21 on a ZX-11, it was pretty uncomfortable but the comfort issue wasn't enough to kill the trip for me. I totally recommend touring on a bike at least once.... You stop in a lot of small towns along the way and become a celebrity everywhere you go. The ass is pretty epic on a Friday night too.

If this is just a bike you are buying for the trip, I'd be looking at a versus 650 or V-Strom 650. Both are pretty capable but if you and your wife are bigger folks you might want the larger versions. If I were buying a bike to do what we are talking about it would probably be Hondas new 1000cc adventure bike with the automatic transmission option or a Yamaha Tenere....... Except I can't recommend the Yamaha because I will be filing a lawsuit against them in the next few days for not honoring their warranty and having been in the shop for almost two months in the first yea I owned it. I'm debating starting a thread on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought reliability was important?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top