Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2016 3:41:25 PM EDT
I need a trimmer, my yard isn't that big, about 5000 sqft, but it has a full fence and detailed garage, so lots of places to cut around, but I don't need a pro model by any means.

Are the electric stuff up to snuff these days, or should I go with gas?

Hit the pawn shop or the big box store?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
when I bought my stihl it was 199 for the motor section and 99 for the trimmer section if I recall.  then later you can add attachments if you want
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought this Electric from Harbor Freight $24 with coupon and it works fine so far.

13 in. Electric String Trimmer

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Stihl or Shindiawa. I have an older Stihl gas that just keeps going and going and going although I did have it rebuilt when I first got it used about ten years ago.  If you can find one for a decent price in a pawn shop, that would be my choice.  Electric cords are ALWAYS a foot short.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when I bought my stihl it was 199 for the motor section and 99 for the trimmer section if I recall.  then later you can add attachments if you want
View Quote

How good are the attachments, I wouldn't mind a little tiller head for the garden boxes
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Echo
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Define budget.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a Stihl since I bought my house in 2004. Did a tuneup at a mechanic's shop three years ago, $75. $300 to purchase back then, so exclusive of gas, oil and string, around  $32 a year to own. I expect I'll have it when my mortgage is paid off in 14 years, too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How good are the attachments, I wouldn't mind a little tiller head for the garden boxes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have the weed whacker, if the dirt isn't packed like clay I think it would work ok. you may be able to find some reviews for it
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are good and solid.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]

pound for pound the best

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a Ryobi 40v string trimmer.  It holds enough charge to trim and blow my 1/4 acre city lot at least 4 times and does a great job.  $150 w/ battery and charger.

The big reason I got it was so I could also get the blower that uses the same battery.  Pulling out the long cord for that every week was getting to be a pain.

I had a middle of the road gas trimmer (hard to beat a gas motor) but as it got on in years it seems like the ethanol in the gas here was eating up parts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I need a trimmer, my yard isn't that big, about 5000 sqft, but it has a full fence and detailed garage, so lots of places to cut around, but I don't need a pro model by any means.

Are the electric stuff up to snuff these days, or should I go with gas?

Hit the pawn shop or the big box store?
View Quote
Husqvarna 128LD, lowes, I'm on my third season with it, still pleased. But I always buy the heads where you replace the line manually.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought an echo at a big box store but I don't think you need that for your size yard.

I'd go with something light and less hot.  Electric or a even a cordless.   They're cheap and if it doesn't last go buy another brand.  

One thing about the echo gas job (or my Husq chainsaws) the vibration bothers my nerves in my hands.  My hands go numb after an hour or so.  I despise weed wacking.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Define budget.
View Quote

I would prefer to stay under $150, but I would rather shell out more to get long term quality and reparability.

For new I have Lowe's and Homedepot near by

Or I have a bunch of pawnshops if I want to get a used pro style. ( I know one of em has a bunch of still stuff)
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Walk into a HD, walk out with the smallest straight shaft echo trimmer they sell.

You either do this and get a trimmer that will last a decade or two, or buy a new $150 one every two-three years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]

1. I live in the city, and the codes say no hoofed animals.

2. I wouldn't trust them around my garden.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Best bet is a used stihl.
I bought two identical FS81s last summer at the fleamarket one for $40 And one for $5.

Fresh gas and refilling the trimmer line is all they needed. Hell, the one I paid five bucks for runs better than the one I bought for fourty.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

pound for pound the best

View All Quotes
Quoted:

pound for pound the best

And they taste good
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-2-Cycle-21-2cc-Straight-Shaft-Gas-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439

I have been abusing the hell out of mine for a year now.  I got some of the Rhino brush blades they sell for it and did some minor forestry
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
If there's  a Menards near you, they have Featherlite gas ones on sale until June 4 for $59. I bought one this morning, just fired it up, works great. .080 string model.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Just called the pawn shop down the street, they said they had a still fs90 trimmer for $120, they described it as "dirty"

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just called the pawn shop down the street, they said they had a still fs90 trimmer for $120, they described it as "dirty"

View Quote

If it runs, buy it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it runs, buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it runs, buy it.

They said it has gas in it, and will start it before I pay

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it runs, buy it.

Run corn free 93 octane and HP Ultra oil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]

I came to post this

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy some Roundup and spray around your house, fence, and flower bed edging. My weedeating time is about 7 minutes now. All I have to do is edge the sidewalk, by the curb, and driveway. Fuck electric weedeaters. Go to walmart and get whatever cheap chinese shit they got on sale this year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-2-Cycle-21-2cc-Straight-Shaft-Gas-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439

I have been abusing the hell out of mine for a year now.  I got some of the Rhino brush blades they sell for it and did some minor forestry
View Quote

Matter of fact, just bought that exact one this AM.  It is a replacement for a Stylh  I think is almost 20 years old.  I have an Echo chainsaw that runs like a champ, so giving this a go.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah define budget.

I assume $100 or less...of course everyone on arfcom is a millionaire and only pro shit will do so you're going to hear:

Stihl, Husq, Shindy, Echo, Redmax.....same shit that's talked about in 20 other weed trimmer threads on this site.

Budget /$100 trimmers work...just be diligent with your fuel.

I just handed off a Crafstman ($99) to my daughter that I've used a lot since 1999. It was getting a little tired but still worked.

It was one you could throw on the attachments...had the blower mechanism for it. 17 seasons....for a $100 trimmer isn't bad.

I upgraded to a Husq 525xl; $329.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah define budget.

I assume $100 or less...of course everyone on arfcom is a millionaire and only pro shit will do so you're going to hear:
Stihl, Husq, Shindy, Echo, Redmax.....same shit that's talked about in 20 other weed trimmer threads on this site.

Budget /$100 trimmers work...just be diligent with your fuel.
I just handed off a Crafstman ($99) to my daughter that I've used a lot since 1999. It was getting a little tired but still worked.
It was one you could throw on the attachments...had the blower mechanism for it. 17 seasons....for a $100 trimmer isn't bad.

I upgraded to a Husq 525xl; $329.
View Quote

You don't have to be a millionaire to afford a $150 trimmer.

If you want to go super cheap get a Homelite

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I snagged a 30cc Homelite my neighbor was throwing out.  $8 tuneup kit and it runs like new.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Goat
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been using using my stihl that I got at a pawn shop for $75 for 8 years. Replaced the priming bulb year 2 and that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a no-start Echo 2201 for $15 of craigslist last winter.

took it home found out the primer ball was cracked, Duh......  put a new one in, it started on the second pull.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Go to Home Depot and buy the best Echo you can afford. The SpeedFeed head is best head.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#36]
The $120 pawn shop special still works pretty good.

It wants to stumble on idle a little, but I would guess that is either a fuel or a dirty carb issue. A good clean and some good gas ought to clear that up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Weed eaters are most definitely "you get what you pay for."

A "budget model" just means you will be replacing it every year. Three-four years of this and you might as well have bought a quality
weed eater to begin with.

Either Roundup the hell out of your yard or buy a quality weed eater. The alternative is having a yearly "What budget Weed eater should I buy THIS year?"

The best budget weed eater is the $300.00 Echo you buy now and use for the next 20+ years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Straight-shaft Echo and use the canned pre-mix fuel from Home Depot.

Eta: I don't buy "jack of all trades" tools, like trimmers with multiple attachments. Buy the correct tool for the job and they will do it better and last longer than a weedeater add on part.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't wait, run.  With maintenance that trimmer will outlive you and be passed down to your progeny.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
OP I have a cheap corded one that I dont use and a high dollar heavy gas powered one that I hate to use and a cordless one from
green works that is light and easy to use and is always ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#41]

poulan pro. I have two

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it runs, buy it.

I buy the cans of motomix. I never had a issue blending my own, but those cans pour super easy. Maybe I'll refill them with my mix.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]

It works, but the head is far too heavy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a similar set plus I bought the blower attachment. I'm  thinking of buying  the  hedge  trimmer next. Well worth the money.

At work we have mostly  Stihl  and 2 Echos which don't get used often. This time of year we weed abate all of the undeveloped  land for the home developer we work for. Those Stihl's run 6/7 hours a day for 3 months  with no problems  other than the guys running them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#45]
As numerous people have commented, Stihl is the answer. If I had bought one years ago I'd probably be about $500 ahead right now. It's seriously the best trimmer i've ever owned and the only problem is like brd you will soon own more. I've got a trimmer and backpack blower and will be adding a chainsaw to the stable soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I thought about going cheap on a weedeater when I bought my place, but I wanted one that would last and take good attachments, so I got a Stihl FS90 model and with the cutting blades does a great job.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Walk into a HD, walk out with the smallest straight shaft echo trimmer they sell.

You either do this and get a trimmer that will last a decade or two, or buy a new $150 one every two-three years.
View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Came here to post that.

Tacos de Cabra in the fall too.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Matter of fact, just bought that exact one this AM.  It is a replacement for a Stylh  I think is almost 20 years old.  I have an Echo chainsaw that runs like a champ, so giving this a go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had mine for three years so far. Love it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Just bought a 25cc Remington RM2510.(Its made by MDT) Was on sale at my local Fleet Farm for $64.95. Will work just fine for what I need and last me year.. cause I take care of my stuff...and don't use gas with ethanol and do use Stabilizer in my fuel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top