Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2016 8:49:12 PM EDT

Quick backstory: I'm a beekeeper and one of the places that is kind enough to offer me land for a bee-yard called me today and asked if I could help remove a large yellow jacket nest from their property.  The tree behind me is hollow and the YJ's have built a large nest protruding above me and then again sticking out of the tree about head-level. The nest ran the length of the tree (internally and externally), down into the ground and extended about 4' underground where another paper entrance was next to another tree.

BTW, the nest wrapped all the way around the tree (this is 1/2 of it showing).

The nest was recently discovered very close to a campsite where hundreds of young adults will be staying this weekend so it needed to go asap. Hot as all get-out today (about 104 heat index) and this took me a bit over an hour...wearing 3 layers, all duct taped shut.

And, go!

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they dead?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow that is crazy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What did you do with the nests?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quite dead. BTW, the entire forest floor is about 4" thick of pine needles. Fire was (unfortunately) not an option.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I see people actually see those nests on ebay for money
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Pffft ! Look at you -- using proper equipment and skill.  To hell with that!  

The challenge is doing it with a can of gas, a cigar and in cut off short & flips flops.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume that whole area is still is still on fire, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What did you do with the nests?
View Quote
Finished off the job by chainsawing down the tree (btw their chainsaw blade was dull and I had THOUSANDS of YJ's all over me while their saw slllooooowwwwly cut through and vibrated the tree; I knew I should have brought my saw).

When the tree fell I ripped it apart with a stick and sprayed the insides with Demon WP.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I get yellow jackets in my yard sometimes, just watch and see where they are going in and out.

Wait for dark, funnel, gasoline, and close their hole.

No more yellow jackets!   Never seen an above ground nest like that!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Pfft..  

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Mine wasn't too far off of that...and yes, it was like that today! Those are some MEAN creatures.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll just file that under "NOPE".
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Are yellow jackets really the assholes of the wasp/bee universe, or would that title more appropriately go to another bee/wasp, such as the bald faced hornet?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Bald faced hornets and YJ's are equally mean. Dealt with both before. Both suck!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Needs more fire
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Seriously guy I admit I'm a giant pussy around those things.  Phobia of flying/stinging things since I was a little kid.  I admire your bravery. (No homo)  

Thing is I'm at the same time fascinated by them.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Better you than me.      Still going to go with FIRE.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck. That.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish you had a video.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll ask a question.  Did you get stung?  If so, how many times?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fuck. That.
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I wish you had a video.
View Quote
Thought about bringing my Go Pro with a stand but had to carry all of the equipment (fogger, chainsaw, sprayer) 300 feet back into the woods. Very, very hot today and I wanted to get done. It is hard to work a camera wearing two layers of gloves and dripping sweat everywhere.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Here the nests are underground.  Are they all that big or is that some kind of harassed Florida yellow jacket?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are yellow jackets really the assholes of the wasp/bee universe, or would that title more appropriately go to another bee/wasp, such as the bald faced hornet?
View Quote

Cazadors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
You should have taken that to a Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders For President campaign rally, and dropped it off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'll ask a question.  Did you get stung?  If so, how many times?
View Quote
Believe it or not, no stings. I almost got stung several times when un-suiting. They were burrowed EVERYWHERE on me; under the duct tape of my boots and gloves, etc. After I got my jacket and gloves off I put another pair of leather gloves back on to get the rest of my stuff off. I just squished the remaining ones trying to bite and sting me.

When I was chainsawing I had to retreat because I was absolutely covered with them blocking my vision a bit. I put the saw down, walked about 50' away and cleared away my veil and then went back to it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You should have taken that to a Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders For President campaign rally, and dropped it off.
View Quote
Like Apocalypto on steroids, lol.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck. That.

this.

This, and wish there was video
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The challenge is doing it with a can of gas, a cigar and in cut off short & flips flops.
View Quote

I lol'd
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind of property was this?  I can't imagine just going after a nest in the middle of nowhere.  Somebody wanted them gone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Here the nests are underground.  Are they all that big or is that some kind of harassed Florida yellow jacket?
View Quote
In FL they usually start underground and eventually get built out of the ground (and usually up a tree). This nest had been there several years at least.

Almost a shame to kill it; it is something impressive to behold, regardless of their temperament!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]
What type of suit were you wearing?

I didn't think regular bee keeping clothes were adequate to prevent yellow jacket stings.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#34]
How thick is that suit? How long are the stingers or whatever on a Yellowjacket?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What kind of property was this?  I can't imagine just going after a nest in the middle of nowhere.  Somebody wanted them gone.
View Quote
Church property. They didn't realize it was there until they started setting up platforms for campsites. It would have been about 100' to the nearest tent.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nevermind answered in OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Was it really great and a lot of fun. Did you really enjoy it a lot?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Well done OP

You got mad guts!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Yellow jackets make honey, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#40]
How long do you think that thing had been growing?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Why did God created such vile and evil creatures?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Church property. They didn't realize it was there until they started setting up platforms for campsites. It would have been about 100' to the nearest tent.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you kill them or just destroy the nest?

In other words are there now about 1 million POed Yellow Jackets cruising the FL swamp looking for pay back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Good job OP.  Something like that could kill people.  Other than burning or drowning, I can't imagine a more horrible way to die.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#44]

How did you stay hydrated or did you take a water break?  3 hours in this infernal heat with all the stuff you had on must have been pure hell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot after a half case of beer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fuck. That.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What type of suit were you wearing?

I didn't think regular bee keeping clothes were adequate to prevent yellow jacket stings.
View Quote
Layers (waist up):
T-shirt

Long sleeve Field & Stream fishing shirt

Dadant triple layer economy bee jacket with zippered hood/veil.

Camouflage Wal-mart hat (to keep the veil from touching the face when looking up).

Gloves: 2 layers: Mechanix underneath. Outerlayer of thick leather gloves; duct taped to the jacket.

Waist down:

Underwear, cheap camo Wal-Mart pants (underneath), Duluth Firehose pants, Tyvek suit zipped up to my sternum with the arms tied around my waist.

Boots: black leather duct taped to my Duluth pants. Tyvek suit (with feet cut off) taped to the outside of my boots.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
This guy didn't know what he was in for.  It's one of four or five vids...

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

How did you stay hydrated or did you take a water break?  3 hours in this infernal heat with all the stuff you had on must have been pure hell.
View Quote
Chugged massive Gatorade and water before I began. Had to piss the whole time but opening up 3 layers to go was a no-go. Thought about going in my suit like in "The Right Stuff" lol!

When I was finished I was overheated (face red, beginning of chills, soaked clothes). I stripped down to 1 layer (pants and t-shirt), chugged Gatorade and cranked the AC baby!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

How long do you think that thing had been growing?
View Quote
3-5 years would be my guess.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top