Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2016 10:39:03 PM EDT
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1736&ga=109

Signed by the governor (gasp) on 27 Apr, effective date 1 July 2016.

Present law authorizes persons in control of property to post a notice that prohibits firearms on the premises. This bill imposes a duty of care on any person who posts their property to prohibit firearms whereby such person will be responsible for the safety of any handgun carry permit holder while the permit holder is on the posted premises and traversing any area to and from the premises and the location where the permit holder's firearm is stored. The duty of care created by this bill will extend to the conduct of other invitees, trespassers, employees of the person or entity, vicious animals, wild animals, and defensible man-made and natural hazards.

This bill creates a cause of action whereby any permit holder who is harmed while on posted premises or traversing any area to and from the premises and the location where the permit holder's firearm is stored may bring suit against the person who posted the property.
View Quote

The amendment they cite in the link above is a lot of lawyer-speak, but it sounds like it makes the original bill useless. Hopefully somebody can clarify, otherwise, this is a great thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs more like this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job free state to my south. Well try to keep up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Needs more like this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Not real fond of giving up property rights. I'd rather let the market decide how we treat people that ban carry than making the government do it for us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Weapons - As enacted, provides immunity from civil liability to a person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by positing, with respect to any claim based on the person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt such a policy. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

This actually limits liability of the business who posts prohibited signs.

This is NOT what OP was saying. This is bill in link.

Confused.....

ETA: Ok, there are two different bills on that link.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Bill seems very broad.  What constitutes as "responsible for safety"

We installed a house phone available to guests to dial 911 in case of emergency?

We are required to have a 24 hour staff of no less then 5 armed guards per 8 hour shift?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not real fond of giving up property rights. I'd rather let the market decide how we treat people that ban carry than making the government do it for us.
View Quote

The property has every right to tell people they don't want guns on their property.  But now they are also allowed to be sued into oblivion when/if somebody decides to shoot up the place and hits a permit holder.  

It's perfectly free market. Actions and consequences allowed by government, brought forth by individuals.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The property has every right to tell people they don't want guns on their property.  But now they are also allowed to be sued into oblivion when/if somebody decides to shoot up the place and hits a permit holder.  

It's perfectly free market. Actions and consequences allowed by government, brought forth by individuals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are people forced on the property?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
So you can sue the property owner after you and your family get shot?  Uhhhh.....

Nullifying the "force of law" that the NO GUNS signs have would be far preferable.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Weapons - As enacted, provides immunity from civil liability to a person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by positing, with respect to any claim based on the person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt such a policy. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Confused.....

View Quote

If you read the bottom of my OP, you'll see that it confused me too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But if every grocery store posts a no carry sign.................................

If you are going to impede my ability to protect myself then you are telling me you got it covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if every grocery store posts a no carry sign.................................

If you are going to impede my ability to protect myself then you are telling me you got it covered.

Where are you forced to go to that grocery store?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would rather see permit holders vote with their wallets, boycott the business, and allow the free market decide. I'm not a fan of using the courts to do your dirty work, like the gays with the cakes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are people forced to ban guns on the property?

Do you, or do you not, support the right to bear arms?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Free market wasn't getting the right answer fast enough so government had to step in.

Yes, that's a thing that liberals usually do.  It works really well for them, and saying "we're better than that" works really not well for us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am of the opinion my property trumps everything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free market, go open a grocery store that allows carry. Like the gays with the cakes, they should go open a gay bakery, not sue another out of business.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in your business, I thought it was a one stop shop where I could buy A1 receivers and potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confused.....

Ok, I got it now. It protects someone who CAN post prohibited signs, but DOES NOT, from being sued.

I hate fucking lawyers and their legal mumbo jumbo....
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I love the smell of Tennessee freedom.

Maybe we can can take this law to Texas and they can have freedom too just like the last time we gave them freedom.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The second protect you from government, not from other private individuals. I'm sick of the left twisting rights, so I'll call my own out on it when I see it.

Private citizens can ban guns on their property, and you can and should choose to stay off their property.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have the right to deny me carrying or the responsibility to protect my family.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would rather see permit holders vote with their wallets, boycott the business, and allow the free market decide. I'm not a fan of using the courts to do your dirty work, like the gays with the cakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To a point I agree completely.  I don't know of any successful boycotts of businesses by gun owners.  *shrugs*  

If a person gets sick on tainted meat from a grocery store due to negligence and improper labeling, they can be sued.  The gov doesn't do anything.  It's between the sick person and the store.  I don't see much of a difference, but am willing to listen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe we can can take this law to Texas and they can have freedom too just like the last time we gave them freedom.
View Quote

Do they deserve it, though?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Would rather see permit holders vote with their wallets, boycott the business, and allow the free market decide.
I'm not a fan of using the courts to do your dirty work, like the gays with the cakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would rather see permit holders vote with their wallets, boycott the business, and allow the free market decide.
I'm not a fan of using the courts to do your dirty work, like the gays with the cakes.

HAHAHA!  Have you seen all the costco-deniers and "concealed means concealed" morons on this place alone?  Good luck with thar.

Having said that, I totally agree, let the market decide, it usually works pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They have the right to deny me carrying or the responsibility to protect my family.
View Quote

Once again, who is forcing you on the property? To do business with that company?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome!  I had not heard anything about this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting .
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

When four insurance companies in bed with the government set anti-gun policies for 95% of businesses, it's time to address the issue.

We could deregulate insurance and insurance requirements... But that isn't happening.

This all comes down to insurance companies and their political bias.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Once again, who is forcing you on the property? To do business with that company?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the gay wedding cake argument.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I got my eye on TN...I hope their political climate persists into my retirement!  Lots to like about this attitude re: those that carry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well they have sucked at out so far....
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In some States, almost all retail businesses are required to carry insurance by law.

So, there's where people are being forced. You have to buy insurance, and the insurance company gets to dictate you put up a sign.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Good. I am happy WI has a similar one
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you allow the public on your property...those rights are curtailed....no right is absolute silly.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I've always felt that if you deny somebody the right of defense on your property (ie, "Gun Free Zone") then you as the property owner take FULL responsibility for their safety and well-being
in case of some event that could cause death or serious bodily injury.  Don't hire enough cops/off-duty cops to protect your patrons?  Your ass should be pay.  Hell, it should almost be criminal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Win.

Balances property rights with 2A.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

As it should.

If this is what it seems to be, it's a poor idea.

IMO, if you do not want to disarm, do not patronize the business, etc.  

Vote with your feet and dollars.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#39]
W should be using the courts to our advantage more often
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which plenty of people were against the ruling.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#41]
They gutted a good bill.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Not gun related but Michigan defines the difference between private property, public property and property that serves the public. For example you home is private. There is generally no one allowed. Public is government owned. Serving the public is a store/business that allows public the come and go. You are already bound by safety rules and such.

So even though you own the property, if you serve the public it's no longer private.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Concealed is concealed.    I do not want to have my estate sue a property owner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As it should.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As it should.

Then don't come to Tennessee. Last thing we need is another Michigan plate anyway.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see the sign turn around. I say you're kinda entering at your own risk
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In some States, almost all retail businesses are required to carry insurance by law.

So, there's where people are being forced. You have to buy insurance, and the insurance company gets to dictate you put up a sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you forced to go to the business that posted the signs?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then don't come to Tennessee. Last thing we need is another Michigan plate anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As it should.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When you allow the public on your property...those rights are curtailed....no right is absolute silly.  
View Quote

And I can order the public off as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Does this apply to the government as well?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#50]
From the Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Facebook on Monday:

WARNING!!!!

There are posts all over FB tonight about SB1736 going into effect this week. That bill, as introduced, would have made a business owner liable if they banned permit holders from carrying on their property. That bill was gutted and rewritten to remove the provisions making the property owners liable for disarming lawful gun owners.

The "crap" that was substituted (with Sen. Brian Kelsey's name on it) is in the following language that did pass:

SECTION 1.
Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, is amended by adding the following as a new section:

(a) A person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by posting, pursuant to§ 39-17-1359, shall be immune from civil liability with respect to any claim based on such person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt a policy that prohibits weapons on the property by posting pursuant to§ 39-17-1359.

(b) Immunity under this subsection (a) does not apply to a person, business, or other entity whose conduct or failure to act is the result of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.

http://share.tn.gov/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0947.pdf

Once again, Tennesseans have been deceived and cheated by Establishment Republicans in public office... starting with Brian Kelsey and aided by Sen. Dolores Gresham who apparently accepted the amendment and let it be carried in her name.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top