Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 12:09:30 PM EDT
My son is almost 6. This is the final exray befor they took the final cast off. Doc (childrens otho doc) said he's good to go. I wasn't there to ask the doc.

The bend in the radius and the piece that is inbetween the bones, will that cause problems in the future? It looks like the bones may be touching?

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I would say get a second opinion.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks all tore up.

I'll send you a bill.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I will add that with his hand flat on a table, if he turns his wrist to the left or the right maintaining his hand and arm flat he says it hurts.about where the breaks were. Could that just be from no movement for 5 weeks or possibly from the bones contacting each other?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks all tore up.

I'll send you a bill.
View Quote

just stop by and collect
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
That doesn't look right at all.

If that's five weeks into healing, they may have to re break it and set it correctly.

I'd definitely get a second opinion, pronto.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

just stop by and collect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks all tore up.

I'll send you a bill.

just stop by and collect

Since your local, I'll just send over Moose and Rocco to help you find your checkbook.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That doesn't look right at all.

If that's five weeks into healing, they may have to re break it and set it correctly.

I'd definitely get a second opinion, pronto.
View Quote

Not a doctor but yes I'd want a second opinion.  To my layman's eyes that looks badly out of alignment.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
As a person with absolutely no formal training about the human skeletal system I say that something looks
out of place.
I just looked at several X-Ray pictures of the human forearm and while many show varying degrees of bone curvature
no "normal X-Rays seemed to show that.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
what hospital/doc office in MS is this?

and yeah, get a second opinion. That is not what it is supposed to look like
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Your doctor is fucking stupid. Get a new doctor. Now.

If that is 5 weeks old it will need to be re broken and reset. That radial fracture was never set properly.

This is what it should look like.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what hospital/doc office in MS is this?

and yeah, get a second opinion. That is not what it is supposed to look like
View Quote

Cambell Clinic in Memphis. I'd say the main Ortho in the area . Pediatric orthopedic is who fixed him so I'd think they "should" have known how to fix him correctly.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Your doc is trying to make your son a mutant.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If that is 5 weeks old it will need to be re broken and reset. That radial fracture was never set properly.

http://www.eorif.com/sites/default/files/Forearm-xray.jpg
View Quote

yes but those bones do not appear to have been broken to me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yikes! IANAD, but that doesn't look good.  

I broke the end of my radius and ended up with a plate and screws. Mine is crooked, but not like that.  

Get a second opinion for sure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Right arm was the one broken. This is straight out.

This is the X-rays the day it was broke.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a good set. Around 50% reduction of comminution.

In a year it'll be back to straight and normal due to osteoclastic and osteoblastic activity. Tearing down and rebuilding the bone.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.eorif.com/sites/default/files/Forearm-xray.jpg

Yes, because I am showing you the proper alignment of what it should look like. See where the split is on your kids xray? That shouldn't be there. If it can't be manually manipulated back into place then it needs surgical intervention. Your kids arm was not set correctly.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Many members here are comparing your child's xray to an adult forearm xray from the internet. It is not at all appropriate to make that comparison in this case. I am not an orthopedist, but I have some medical training.
I can tell you however, that pediatric fractures can display an amazing ability to heal properly without perfect alignment due to the constant growth and turnover of a growing child's skeletal system.

You can always seek a second opinion if you would like. Strangers on the Internet won't get you very far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends.

The fracture was not perfectly reduced at the outset, or was unstable and moved after the fact,  but as long as the fracture is now well healed,  the likelihood is that as he grows the area will remodel and look far better way down the road.

Sometimes the trade-off is appropriate to avoid surgery on a kid up front.

More importantly,  how is the range of motion ?,  etc.  If he feels OK,  and is functioning well,  it probably doesn't justify any intervention at this point.

Sometimes better is the enemy of good.

View Quote

The arm still looks very deformed. Even with growth will that kind of gross abnormality correct itself? He said it was painful to articulate the hand but pain free at POC. Would a reset and new cast be out of the question because that is what I was expecting. I defer to you as I'm a medic with some rad tech training.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a doc, but X-ray for 17 years, at his age it will remodel and be hard to detect in a year or 2. Campbell's are generally top notch.

In a youngster all that is needed is gross reduction if necessary and immobilization . "Sometimes perfect is the enemy of good"...that was actually said to me by an orthopedic surgeon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Perfect would be unbroken. Can't achieve that and I know that. To me, it doesn't look "right" though. And that's what I want.

It may be right, there are doctors here. I know that. That's why I am asking for a opinion here.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
you had posted this before

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1876831

did he go back and get it pinned, or wired?

do you have a lateral, side view, of the arm?

minor mis-alignments will eventually do what is called remodeling, where the cells of the bone tear down and rebuild the struture of the bone.

he's still growing, so there is time for it to straignted out.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will add that with his hand flat on a table, if he turns his wrist to the left or the right maintaining his hand and arm flat he says it hurts.about where the breaks were. Could that just be from no movement for 5 weeks or possibly from the bones contacting each other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is a nice shadow of where the new bone has formed on the left side of the radius.  Both bones look healed, but in a year, as the bones remodel, you will have a hard times telling that it even happened (untrained eye).  

Five weeks is still on the light side for such a bad fracture.  Is he going to wear a brace for a few more weeks?  If he falls, he can re-fracture it easily if he doesn't wear a brace.

ETA:  Covered by fish223.

Quoted:
Depends.

The fracture was not perfectly reduced at the outset, or was unstable and moved after the fact,  but as long as the fracture is now well healed,  the likelihood is that as he grows the area will remodel and look far better way down the road.

More importantly,  how is the range of motion ?,  etc.  If he feels OK,  and is functioning well,  it probably doesn't justify any intervention at this point.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you had posted this before

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1876831

did he go back and get it pinned, or wired?

do you have a lateral, side view, of the arm?

minor mis-alignments will eventually do what is called remodeling, where the cells of the bone tear down and rebuild the struture of the bone.

he's still growing, so there is time for it to straignted out.

View Quote

Doc reset it without pinning it. He angled the hand down when he recast it. He told me then that he fixed it the way he would have his son. This exray made me question it now because of the way it looks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not sure about his arm but whoever set his tibia and fibula fracture on his left leg did a crappy job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure about his arm but whoever set his tibia and fibula fracture on his left leg did a crappy job.

LOL.

I'd not be happy with that either as his dad, but as the docs said better would have likely meant surgery.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like the bone was curved before it was broken?  Physical therapy may help with the articulation issues.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
My son broke both bones in fore arm at just about same point above the wrist when he was about 6.  One bone set right, the other bone set about like your x ray shows.  Well respected local ortho doc said it will straighten out as he grow.  It didn't.

Don't let this go !

My sons range of motion was limited for years and his arm looked like a banana.  Later at age 15 he re-broke same bone higher up in a fall that shouldn't have broke anything.  They re-set and it was even worse.

Broke it yet again about 6 months later.  A banana curved bone breaks pretty easy.  This time we had a children's ortho surgeon plate and screw the break.  While in there she rotated bones and fixed range of motion and mostly got rid of banana curve.  Son is now almost good as never happened.  Don't let this go.

Oh yeah.  Don't give you kids skateboards either.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Wollf's law.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There is a nice shadow of where the new bone has formed on the left side of the radius.  Both bones look healed, but in a year, as the bones remodel, you will have a hard times telling that it even happened (untrained eye).  

Five weeks is still on the light side for such a bad fracture.  Is he going to wear a brace for a few more weeks?  If he falls, he can re-fracture it easily if he doesn't wear a brace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends.

They gave us a brace for him to wear.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#33]
that doc is an idiot. did he ever set it?

It needs correction.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I would take your child and that xray and get a second opinion.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the advice and private message from the orthopaedic surgeon. He advised me that his repair is fine.

I'm going to try to find another ortho to go to just to get a local second opinion if I can find one. I haven't looked yet. The one in town is a major player so I'm going to have to search to find someone that isn't with them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#37]
wife is an er nurse, says its wrong.
take it for what you will...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
wife is an er nurse, says its wrong.
take it for what you will...
View Quote

Thank you for asking her for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It needs correction.
View Quote

It was set two times.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Our son broke his arm almost identical to your son's. His had a bow worse than the picture you posted. Surgeon told us what the Dr. wrote here. We were concerned too. Two years later arm was perfect.

Because of our lack of medical knowledge we were thinking no way. But he was right. The body is amazing at repair sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's a good set. Around 50% reduction of comminution.

In a year it'll be back to straight and normal due to osteoclastic and osteoblastic activity. Tearing down and rebuilding the bone.
View Quote

I work in pediatric er. Doc is right. He will straighten out. Doesn't happen overnight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#44]
In an adult, that angulation would be unacceptable.
I think it's fine in your 5yo.
In a year, you won't be able to tell those bones were ever broken. Even on an Xray.
The healing power of kids is amazing
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#45]
simple illustration

http://www.brokenarmanswers.com/arm-still-crooked-cast-comes-off/arm-fracture-remodeling-children/

as was pointed out, the older you are, the less remodeling occurs, and the more important it is to correct for angulation.

was there a side view availabe, btw?

edit - also, it is more important that he has full range of motion and use of his hand, than slight angulations, at this point.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends.

Make him wear it during the day for the next 2 weeks and then for the following 2 weeks if he plays any contact or other sports where he may fall.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Little harsh.

Fact is,  the guy that set that fracture wanted to avoid surgery.  I agree with that.  And I'm a surgeon. Surgery is always the last option when options exist.

Most of the time the images don't look perfect,  but the fracture heals well,  and the arm works fine. Sometimes you can even feel a bump at the fracture that takes years to fully remodel.  Still better than surgery.

Seriously, if you looked at that kids arms two years from now,  without films,  the chances you could identify the broken one is virtually zero.

Mother Nature is Fucking Awesome,  and if you give her some time and patience,  she works miracles.

And FWIW,  if that was my kid,  I would have been fine with this six weeks out.

Better on a film is not necessary better in the real world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It needs correction.

Little harsh.

Fact is,  the guy that set that fracture wanted to avoid surgery.  I agree with that.  And I'm a surgeon. Surgery is always the last option when options exist.

Most of the time the images don't look perfect,  but the fracture heals well,  and the arm works fine. Sometimes you can even feel a bump at the fracture that takes years to fully remodel.  Still better than surgery.

Seriously, if you looked at that kids arms two years from now,  without films,  the chances you could identify the broken one is virtually zero.

Mother Nature is Fucking Awesome,  and if you give her some time and patience,  she works miracles.

And FWIW,  if that was my kid,  I would have been fine with this six weeks out.

Better on a film is not necessary better in the real world.

Fair enough. I'm not a surgeon or a peds doc, but I work with and around them. Any instances I've seen with that kind of deformity were reset and re splinted 90% of the time. Good to hear it won't need it though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#48]
It's ok, I personally would have tried for a better reduction but I've seen worse.  At 6 years old and near the growth plate it will remodel like stink, in fact it already is. There is already tons of callus on the concave side of the fracture.

Campbell clinic is a legitimate place, Beaty just about wrote the book on pediatric orthopaedics.  You're in good hands.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Side view

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Needs a bandaid  I'm not a Dr and dtd not stay in a Holiday Inn last night.  Hope your son heals up correctly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top