Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2016 8:23:53 PM EDT
and is pacing you. A sign clearly states "lane ends - merge left". he rides the white stripe and the dotted line seperating your lane from his ends. two become one. he is slowly entering your lane as you are neck and neck.

what do you do and who is at fault if there is an accident?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I would move into the left lane if possible,if not let him out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]

if he hits you, he is at fault for not yielding.  You should not adjust your speed, nor are you required to change lanes.

In fact, if you do not know this, stay off the damn highway.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously?

Driver on the highway has ROW but some states say you need to let the other car merge if possible.(the latter part is info from ARFCOMMERS, do your own research)
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
and is pacing you. A sign clearly states "lane ends - merge left". he rides the white stripe and the dotted line seperating your lane from his ends. two become one. he is slowly entering your lane as you are neck and neck.

View Quote

In a lot of places if it happened as you describe it would be no fault and you both pay your own repairs. If they came down and just ran right into you before you saw them it would be their fault I would imagine.

Remember, right of way has to be given, you can't take it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I slot him by either slowing down to let him in front or speeding up and putting him behind me.....much depends on the other driver's hints about his intentions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Put him in the wall....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If entering the car entering has to yield right of way. Although I typically am not a ass and will either speed up or slow down to let the car on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Traffic already on the highway has the right-of-way here.  Apparently not in Illinois, and the damn FIBs bring their terrible driving up here.

It is a courtesy to move to the left if there are multiple lanes, and I do if it is open. If not, I usually have my cruise control on to keep a steady pace, so whoever is merging  better unfuck themselves.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Through many years of experience, I just slow a bit and let the asshole go, life is to short to be fucking with an asshole on the hwy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ramp car has to merge to road traffic.  (In Michigan at least)
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be happy that he's at least matching my speed, most drivers here merge onto the freeway @ 45-50 MPH.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Get over if possible... If not the jackass getting on should slow down or speed up. If he doesn't and there is an accident, he is in the wrong.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Move left if i can.  Accelerate if I can't.  it's his job to merge and i'll help but I'm not going to screw myself in the process.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Through many years of experience, I just slow a bit and let the asshole go, life is to short to be fucking with an asshole on the hwy.
View Quote

I have arrived at this point......
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
It's his job to safely merge into traffic. That said, I usually move over if possible.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I move over if possible, or adjust my speed to accommodate them if I can.

The ones that piss me off are the drivers who blast up the on ramp and try to accelerate past me, only to run out of room and end up stuck at my side.  Like I said, I'll accommodate what I can, but sometimes the other driver makes it difficult. Fuck that, enjoy driving in the dirt jackass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is probably the right answer. but dont you die a bit inside every time you do it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

if he hits you, he is at fault for not yielding.  You should not adjust your speed, nor are you required to change lanes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is me also.

If I can temporarily move into the left lane (if there is one) I will, if I can't I will simply slow down and let the moran in (in the overall scheme of things, it won't change my destination arrival time enough to make a difference).
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In a lot of places if it happened as you describe it would be no fault and you both pay your own repairs. If they came down and just ran right into you before you saw them it would be their fault I would imagine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<<<<<<<<---------

You all want me to stay in the fucking right-hand lane, then give me room to do so.

EVERY on-ramp has a Stop or Yield sign, so do so.

Lead or follow, just get out of the fucking way.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Another assholes collide scenario.

If you can move left, and you don't, you're a cockbreath.

If you force the issue merging in when you have to legally yield, you're a cockbreath.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right of way is set by the law, it is not "given". If we both arrive at a 4-way stop and you're the vehicle on the right, but you go ahead and wave me through, that doesn't mean you gave me the right of way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
In VA if they are signaling to get over then you must yield the way and allow them in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd take a blowjob.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In VA if they are signaling to get over then you must yield the way and allow them in.
View Quote

i dont think a turn signal has that kind of power
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody uses them in NoVA anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because most drivers aren't aware of its power nor utilize it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#30]
He is at fault.

You have right of way. Sadly most drivers don't understand merging.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

this is probably the right answer. but dont you die a bit inside every time you do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, anytime I can avoid dealing with insurance companies, my life it good.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd be happy that he's at least matching my speed, most drivers here merge onto the freeway @ 45-50 MPH.
View Quote

this is what i was thinking.

if he is matching me while he is on the on ramp. i would think he is ready to go faster.

but you wont know for sure til you let him merge.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...and I would appreciate it if someone did the same for me. When I enter the highway I speed up to get to highway speed before I come out of the enter ramp lane, unlike some dumb fucks that slow down while going through the ramp, it's called an exceleration lane for a reason!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
exceleration?

Oh my god, where are the spelling police!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. If you do, you have problems.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is me also.  

If I can temporarily move into the left lane (if there is one) I will, if I can't I will simply slow down and let the moran in (in the overall scheme of things, it won't change my destination arrival time enough to make a difference).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is me also.  

This.   Seeing hiw it happens multiple times a day.  Plenty of dip shits out here on the road
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not at all.

I whistle a happy tune and go about my business.

Way back when I was a young twenty to thirty year old moran driver I would have said yes, but as I got older and wiser things like this just don't bother me anymore.

Life is too short to be pissed off at minuscule shit like this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

People who are not butt holes would move to the left lane and let them in. It is called courtesy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Down here, the idiots stop in the acceleration lane, backing up everyone behind them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with one minor change
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#41]
My ego doesn't run to bashing up my truck to prove a point.  I move over to the left lane, speed up, and stay there.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Down here, the idiots stop in the acceleration lane, backing up everyone behind them.
View Quote

I hate that......what the hell is wrong with people?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#44]
It's his responsibility to merge.

That being said, why am I in that position in the first place?

I should have seen the guy and maneuvered so the situation didn't occur at all. Likely all that would have been required was for me to speed up a bit when I first saw him and he could merge behind me. Or, if he's not a slow driver I could simply get off the accelerator for a second and let him get in front of me.

Or, I could change lanes.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Ramp driver has a gas pedal and a brake, they can choose to use either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  It's not a fucking race.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck 'em.  Feed 'em to the wall.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I pray every day for robot cars.

Humans ain't designed to drive.

Especially ARFhumans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This 100%.

That said, I'll generally move over if possible. Otherwise I usually speed up while cursing the dumbshit trying to get on for not knowing how to f'n merge properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am the guy on the on ramp...I accelerate to 21+ over the speed limit (Reckless in VA) and merge right in front of the unmarked police car.

You asked what I would do (did) not saying that was the smartest move.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top