Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2016 4:44:28 PM EDT
Damn it, I hate those bastards!

I  set out mow the grass this afternoon.  I live on a small wooded lot so it is a relatively small job.  I finished the back yard and headed to the small island in our drive way.  Not much grass there but enough for the mower.  As I made my first pass I felt something poke my ankle.  I swatted at it without looking and felt another one on my calf.  Having had experience with these spawns of hell, I immediately thought yellow jackets.  I had already abandoned the mower to roll down the hill on its own, shouted to my son to run to the garage, and unassed the area by the third sting.  I still had one trying to murder me through my shoe when I got in the house.

I went back out about 5 minutes later and they were still swarming.  Looked like they are building a ground nest under a protruding root.  I emptied a can of long distance wasp spray into the opening and looked for any signs of another entrance, but did not see any.  I'll have to check it again later.  Their stings feel like a bite at first, but now about an hour later it's more like a hot nail.  I'm lucky that it was a new and relatively small nest.  I saw a 4 year old get swarmed by a cloud of them when I was a kid and she had hundreds of stings.  They really will not quit until they can't find you or you are dead.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]

I share your hatred.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I survived over 100 stings from a swarm of them as a kid.  Terrible experience. :(  Damn near died.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I share your hatred.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Sevin 5% dust. Dump it into the hole, after dark, of course.

Lowes & Walmart have it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I stepped into a nest a couple years ago while mowing grass.  I proceeded to make that portion of the yard resemble a WWI battlefield by carrying out 4 or 5 rounds of various types of chemical weapons attacks.  The nest then became a receptacle for about 1/2 gallon of gas and a match.  Result:  dead nest and a patch of dirt in my yard that has remained barren for the past two years.

I hate those things.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
More Shared Hatred.
1970, I was 10 and on a hike in the woods with 2 friends.
Curiosity had us roll over a log to see what was under it, YELLOW JACKETS.
We probably set a world record for a 1/2 mile or so run.
I was stung 5-6 times, buddy, double that.
Poor Chubby Kid, not fast, dozens of stings.
It's not like you can do anything but run.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had them under my siding.
I put a few inches of water with bleach in my shop vac, and propped the hose up right next to their entrance.
Turn the vac on around dusk when they are returning to their nest.
Within a week there were only a few left.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Stepped on a ground nest fighting a wildland fire once. Talk about a miserable 10 hours following that experience.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel for ya.

I was weed-eating a few years ago and didn't realize there was a nest in the ground.  Fuckers started hitting my knees, so I dropped the weedeater and ran into the house screaming like a little girl. Wound up getting zapped about a dozen times.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Take no prisoners, kill those bastards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
i still use an old gasoline push mower.

Park it over the hole til the gas runs out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Hate those bastards.

I was bush-hogging a pasture once and hit an old rotten log that apparently had a nest of them below it. They stung me at least 30 times and some went up my nose and stung me in there.

The next day, I plowed a ring around that area of the field and torched it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hate those bastards.

I was bush-hogging a pasture once and hit an old rotten log that apparently had a nest of them below it. They stung me at least 30 times and some went up my nose and stung me in there.

View Quote
I like your style!

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Helped a buddy with his mowing business one summer. We were both stung over 100 times that summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Sneek out tonight after its dark...pour straight ammonia into the hole...DEADLY...
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I was dragging a bole down a tractor trail with a Bobcat E35  (the Deere was down) when I found myself wondering why my ankle and forehead was suddenly on fire.  I pulled my head out of my ass to see a huge swarm of yellow jackets pouring out of a hole next to where I had just drug the bole over.

I immediately unassed the area by foot only to realize I had left the Bobact running.  I prayed hard, ran like Hell back to the Bobcat, got the keys, and ran the whole way back to the building about a half mile away.  I never counted the bites, but I took a few days off work due to all of the swelling and inflammation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Bald Faced Hornet nest hanging over my canal right now.....8 feet from my fishing boat. I am certain I will be stung any day now. I hate these bastards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#18]
take a stick with a hose attached to it and jam it into their nest. Make sure hose is attached to elevated gas can and let 'er rip. Then take another stick with a cannon fuse attached. Repeat with same then light.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a Bald Faced Hornet nest hanging over my canal right now.....8 feet from my fishing boat. I am certain I will be stung any day now. I hate these bastards.
View Quote

Can of wasp spray stays in the boat house...BTDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, a solution:

RC Helicopter with makeshift homemade WD-40 flamethrower attached.

NO PROBLEM!

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
take a stick with a hose attached to it and jam it into their nest. Make sure hose is attached to elevated gas can and let 'er rip. Then take another stick with a cannon fuse attached. Repeat with same then light.
View Quote

Automatic Transmission Funnel poked into hole...one pound of black powder, insert and light fuse...that ought to piss'em off...
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ah, a solution:

NO PROBLEM!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, a solution:

NO PROBLEM!

I like the way you think...
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, a solution:

NO PROBLEM!

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I considered setting fire to the entire island, but the neighbors, fire department, and police might take objection.  Going back out at dusk and giving them a dose of sevin dust instead.

I can't imagine getting stung more than a few times.  My ankle is swollen and both my calves have 2" welts.  Luckily, I turn into an Olympic runner whenever these bastards show up.  To my son's credit, he doesn't question me when I say run.  He dropped the sticks he was carrying and took off like a bat out of hell.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Nature's Asshole.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Been there, go get 'em!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Got lit up by them as a kid, will NEVER forget that experience. Like the post above, natures assholes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#29]
It is satisfying to gas them and burn them out but actually the gas  by itself does them more damage. Let them calm down at dusk and then dump a paper cup of gas down the hole and run
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Fighting off a nest currently between garage trim and exterior brick.  4 cans of wasp spray, a fly swatter and occasionally my baseball cap are my weapons.  I'm up to about 120 KIA over the past two weeks.  I have to pick up the corpses to keep the dog from eating them.  As soon as I'm confident they are gone I will use some caulk to seal up the entrances.

On another note, I have felt their wrath as a teenager after mowing over a ground nest at my folks.  I was stung a dozen or so times.  Being stung definitely felt like being poked with a hot needle.

Kill all of them!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sevin 5% dust. Dump it into the hole, after dark, of course.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/613499/613499070074.jpg

Lowes & Walmart have it.
View Quote

This shit works!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hate those bastards.

View Quote

Same here - bushogging. A few days later was comparing stories with the guy who runs the local feed / seed / hardware store. Some guy overheard us and said - 'all you have to do is be still and they won't sting you - done it many times.' I swear the stories in there top the LGS stories.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate the little black/yellow bastards too.

My worst encounter:

I was working a survey crew down in Florida and we were chopping through some fairly dense growth, called "cutting a line" to clear a path for the survey instruments to get a clear view and I was in front cutting and hacking away with my bush axe.

I hit a branch to which was attached a huge wasp's nest and then all hell broke loose.

The four us got stung at least thirty times.

It was not a fun time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Kill em all with extreme hostility.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck wasps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]

The word "wasp" needs the be changed to the word "hornet" because yellow jackets are hornets not wasps.   Hornets are much worse than wasps.   (I know that there are lot of common insect ID books/ interweb sites that say otherwise.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#38]

I got stung once on my shin last Sunday.  There was a nest under a patio chair I sat on. Swelled up pretty good. Still itches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Just went out and observed them.  There were still plenty coming and going from another hole about a foot from the one I lit up with wasp spray earlier.  The sevin dust I thought I had is nowhere to be found.  I'll have to pick some up tomorrow and counter strike after dark.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Found a nest of wasps in my sparsely used hose reel today. 2nd year in a row. I got smoked by them last year, this year I fucked them all of them before they could strike. I've been through 10 cans of spray this year. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I share your hatred.

View Quote

Yellow demon bastards is what they are.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I was dove hunting one year, and parked my truck in a field.  I get out and discover I'm parked right on top of a nest, they were everywhere and pissed.

I managed to somehow get in the truck without being stung.  I nail the gas and think I'm home free.  Nope, two of them are now in the truck with me all pissed off and playing buzz the tower with my face.  I'm glad my mother wasn't around to hear the words that came out of my mouth that day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Carpenter that was working on my house dropped trou and shat on a nest.
Never found out how many stings but he destroyed his pants trying o get them up to run away.
He never came back, the rest of the crew finished the build.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Find the nest and piss on it to establish dominance.

You should probably wear a GoPro.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a huge wasp nest behind my siding. Think several hundred wasp crawling up the side of my house. Told a work buddy about it. He said to try some TC Flowable.
I mixed up some in a pump strayer the next weekend. You just hose down the area after dark, but be quick it makes them insane. The next morning the we're piled up under my yard lights. They won't even try to build a nest on my eve's this year. This stuff is off the shelf at tractor supply.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Nuked it with Sevin dust today.  Luckily no more stings because the previous ones have turned into 4" patches of itch worse than poison ivy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I love arfcom threads about yellowjackets
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Be careful in the afternoon. Last week I was pissing, on a warm afternoon, in my back 20. One of the suckers stung my dick. A first for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#50]

I've never understood how this keeps popping up. Most variations of wasps are pretty docile (mud daubers, paper wasps, etc.) and build nest the hang from things, mostly structures. It's bald faced hornets and yellow jackets (both of which are technically wasps) that are the assholes of the insect world.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top