Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I live in the outskirts of Philly. City sucks, pensyltucky is awesome though, I hope to move out there one day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it better then the peoples republic of maryland and the place that no one actually wants to live new jersey?
View Quote

Yes except for highest gasoline taxes in the nation, closing costs on homes are also quite high. Cost of living is low and we didn't get hit hard by the housing bubble.

We have state preemption gun laws although our state constitution is very clear, the 2nd amendment shall not be questioned. NFA friendly. Shall issue for CCW license.

The only counties in yellow I'd stay away from is Allegheny and parts of beaver and Washington.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Certain Areas in the orange are the wealthiest and nicest in the state.  Tons of beautiful land, homes, and a relatively strong economy.  Sure, there are crappy parts but in general, Chester County, parts of Delaware County (particularly the Main Line), and Bucks County are beautiful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay away from yellow and orange.

http://pavisitorsnetwork.com/pastatemap/pafrontmap.jpg

Certain Areas in the orange are the wealthiest and nicest in the state.  Tons of beautiful land, homes, and a relatively strong economy.  Sure, there are crappy parts but in general, Chester County, parts of Delaware County (particularly the Main Line), and Bucks County are beautiful.

I am in Chester Co & it's really nice here, I moved from Reading which is the Compton of PA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Pa is very diverse.  I live in the southeastern part of the state, centered between Harrisburg and Philadelphia.   Here its scattered towns/"small cities", like lancaster, york and lebanon.  Geographically its rolling hills and mostly  deciduous trees.  There are a lot of state game lands all over the place.  Travelling north/northwest takes you closer to the "mountains" which are really highlands.  Once there you find vast woodlands with very small town scattered here/there.  Great for hunting, camping, hiking.  In a month im going to ricketts glenn state park, where there are 22 waterfalls along walking trails.  The center of the state is really just open farmland and remains that way all the way to ohio with state college being the largest population center.  If you like snow theres Erie, which gets lake effect snow all winter.  The southern edge of the state is what i call the redneck belt.  Tractor pulls and demolition derbies are big draws on weekends.

But we have the susquehanna river, where you can go boating, fishing.

I live in lancaster, specifially in a small town Lititz.  Its beautiful here and within close proximity to so many things.  3 hrs from the ocean, 2 hrs from the Chesapeake bay, 3 hrs from the moutains, 2 hrs from philadelphia and baltimore.  Itnoffers a vast variety of things to do in an evenings drive.

Edit, and Pa does have bad roads.  Surprisingly the mountain roads are better than the "flatlander" roads.  PA has a lot of winding country roads, my dad called them concrete buggy trails because they actually wrap around houses in some cases.
View Quote

I've been to Lititz many times when I was a kid, Lancaster County is very nice and really pretty for the most part.

You're right about the roads though, the roads around here are much better for the most part than the ones in the flatter parts of the state with the exception of some of the in town roads/ streets in some of the bigger towns and of course I-80, that thing is often a mess. Then again I'm not picky about roads since I live halfway down a dead-end dirt road, which if off another dirt road, which is off another dirt road, which is off an honest to God paved road...but it's an extremely well maintained US Numbered Highway at least.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am in Chester Co & it's really nice here, I moved from Reading which is the Compton of PA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a head's up for people not familiar with how some place names work in PA, the city of Chester (which isn't in Chester Co.) is the Mogadishu of PA. Don't go there unless you bring your own technical. Chester Co. on the other hand and which he's referring to, is a totally different place and quite nice.

Another example of places in PA not being where you'd think they should be is the city of Bradford (which gets colder than Anchorage on a regular basis in the winter) isn't in Bradford Co.

Why? Why not.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On the eastern side it is cold, average lows in the mid 20F and snow totals about 30" a season. Snowfall can be 12+inches per storm when coming up the coast and 24+ happen every few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been to PA.

What are the winters like in some of those southern counties?

On the eastern side it is cold, average lows in the mid 20F and snow totals about 30" a season. Snowfall can be 12+inches per storm when coming up the coast and 24+ happen every few years.

Yea, we can get a bit of snow.

To be fair, this is one of those "once every five years" snows.

Personally, I kinda like Pennsy, but then, I grew up here.  I lived in Kommiefornia for 20 years, lived in Michigan and Flarda and Joisey, so I've been around a bit.  It ain't bad.  Gun laws are good, liquor laws are , but you can live with it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
PA is great, we have great gun laws. I also enjoy the 4 different seasons.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It's better than Maryland. And New York. And all of New England.

So, there's that.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Compared to where you are now.......Yes.
View Quote

+1 PA born and raised here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
PA is better than MD, NJ, NY if you are talking about gun rights.

PA sucks if you are a hunter as we have some lame ass laws on the books in regards to hunting regulations.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Strongly disagree with your assessment of the yellow sector. Allegheny Co, sure, but everything else in that sector is GTG.

Although, Fayette Co might be a no-go if only for the long standing joke that its populace makes up for a disproportionate amount of f.cked up news headlines.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strongly disagree with your assessment of the yellow sector. Allegheny Co, sure, but everything else in that sector is GTG.

Although, Fayette Co might be a no-go if only for the long standing joke that its populace makes up for a disproportionate amount of f.cked up news headlines.    

Known as Fayette Nam around here.

I'm in Westmoreland County on the Chestnut Ridge above Ligonier/Latrobe and love it here. Except there are more and more city slickers moving in trying to make it more civilized.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pennsylvania.   All the craziness of Florida with none of the sun.
View Quote

Nice try but NO.

I've lived in both states, FL wins for craziness by a mile.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in north central Pa in Potter County. It's great here if you like lots of woods and being left alone. Lots of land and homes available reasonable. The whole County has three traffic lights. The biggest town has 2,700 people. The only downside is the Flatlander invasion during Memorial day, Labor day and deer season. They are easy to spot so it's easy to avoid them. Jacked up shiny trucks that have never seen a dirt road and wearing all camo with big fixed blade hunting knife showing. Other that the one negative I can't think of one bad thing about my part of the state. It's a real woodsman's paradise.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania.   All the craziness of Florida with none of the sun.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Read This

There has NEVER been another State with such a longer or longer lasting Thread all by its lonesome.

Oh, yeah.  About snow. I got snowed on only twice last year.  The first storm I was able to sweep the snow away with a broom.  The second time:

That One Storm had more snow than Two or Three Previous years Combined.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#16]
As the saying goes, There's Pittsburg and Philly. Everything in-between is Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fayettenam ain't so bad.  We've got some fantastic WalMartz
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm in Westmoreland County and abide above Ligonier/Latrobe and love it here. Except there are more and more city slickers moving in trying to make it more civilized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in Westmoreland County and abide above Ligonier/Latrobe and love it here. Except there are more and more city slickers moving in trying to make it more civilized.

Lol, We're neighbors Bro. I live in Unity twp.  My wife was born and raised in Fayette Nam and she speaks on it as if she were a referee.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Is all of Harrisburg bad? I have not been there since 05.

I recall the downtown area did not look too bad but I recall that we crossed a long bridge (or elevated road of some sort) and thought I was in Detroit.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it better then the peoples republic of maryland and the place that no one actually wants to live new jersey?
View Quote

Moved here from Texas 1.5 years ago. ZERO regrets. Pennies on the dollar cost of living even with 3 % state income tax. I live in Blakeslee, PA. Unless Texas leaves the union in the event of  Hildabeast confiscation, I'm going nowhere. Next year comes my rabbit farm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm in Westmoreland County on the Chestnut Ridge above Ligonier/Latrobe and love it here. Except there are more and more city slickers moving in trying to make it more civilized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fayette isn't that bad. If your in a more rural area it's nicer.  I live about 15 minutes from Morgantown WV.

Fayette gets it bad rep from all the welfare bums.
Work is another issue. There are some decent places to work but mostly around here it's retail and food service. Alot of people work outside of the county or in Morgantown. It's not like there are no options though.

I stick to the southern part of the county 99% of the time. I only go to town to grocery shop or to eat out.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Downtown is ok, Front street along the river is a nice place to walk and enjoy the river. Second street is a happening place with a good nightlife. Start getting away from the capitol building and it quickly turns into the hood. Up on the hill where the elevated Market street goes turns to the ghetto, Its where all the shootings and violence occurs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fayette isn't that bad. If your in a more rural area it's nicer.  I live about 15 minutes from Morgantown WV.

Work is another issue. There are some decent places to work but mostly around here it's retail and food service. Alot of people work outside of the county or in Morgantown. It's not like there are no options though.

I stick to the southern part of the county 99% of the time. I only go to town to grocery shop or to eat out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Morgantown and work just across the line in PA.  We take people to the Morgantown  hospitals when they get hurt. One of the doctors works in Morgantown and a hospital  in Fayettenam.  Never heard that before he said it.

Compared to WV, PA has:

Higher taxes for gas (30 or 40) cents cheaper in WV
Crazy high property taxes
Roads are better taken care of in the winter time, especially compared to Morgantown  (the only concern here is if people can get to the basketball game as far as the city goes)
Apparently cigarette taxes are higher (don't smoke but the PA guys complain about it)

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in Chester County. It's beautiful here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
With the name BeerMan95, I think it's the perfect place for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#26]
maybe its because I grew up there but I couldn't wait to get out of PA.  For the longest time I thought western PA was a relocation area for retards, then I found out they're just Steelers fans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as the SW corner, allegheny county is the only one you don't want to live in.   The rest are much better for taxes and general safety.  There are always areas in other places that have that, but they tend to be in the big towns.  
It comes down to where you can land a job.

I live in westmoreland county.   No mountains where I live, just hilly.  But 20 or so miles to the east is the laurel ridge and then the rest of the allegheny mountains.  I can get to get fishing in many directions in a drive of 2-3 at the most.  I like it here, overall.
Central PA such as around state college, hollidaysburg, altoona, is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I chose the central Shenandoah valley of VA. Right to bear is in the state constitution FWIW, I can see the Blue Ridge from my porch, I can be back in the Philly area in 5 hrs if I need to. Grew up in NJ, just across the river.
I'm assuming you won't be bringing the DE liberal herpderp with you.
If you are, PA is a great choice
View Quote

I was just down there last week for a woodworking class.  A very nice scenic area.  Drove all around after class and fished a bit too.
Mountains are a little bigger, but a little hotter than PA too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ghetto land? Is it true that people claim parking spots with lawn chairs?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Downtown is ok, Front street along the river is a nice place to walk and enjoy the river. Second street is a happening place with a good nightlife. Start getting away from the capitol building and it quickly turns into the hood. Up on the hill where the elevated Market street goes turns to the ghetto, Its where all the shootings and violence occurs.
View Quote

Thanks. I could not remember the name of that street.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]

If you have to live in the mid-atlantic/northeast, PA is basically an island of tranquility surrounded by a sea of stupidity. It's a great place to live that's surrounded (for the most part) by some of the most f'ed up states in the union (gun laws and tax wise).

(coming from someone who has lived in FL, TX, AZ, GA, KY, and VA)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top