Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2016 8:45:04 PM EDT
I don't have a pic right now, working on it.

Dark base with light stripes (might be grey). Head was about as wide as the center of the body and tapered at the base.

Belly was white with black spots along either side and changed to 2 pleets towards the end.

I'm thinking its a rat snake but we do have cotton mouths in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Dark base with light stripes (might be grey). Head was about as wide as the center of the body and tapered at the base.

Belly was white with black spots along either side and changed to 2 pleets towards the end.

View Quote

Rat snakes are long and thin, moccasins are fat with short tails.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Need pics for positive ID
Does not sound like a cottonmouth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]

copperfang rattlemouth. Run while you still can!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Plisken
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.... Most likely non-venomous.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Trouser snake, probally venomous with aids.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a Nate snake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Possum snake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Double row of scales posterior of the vent, non venomous.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
What part of VA? Cottonmouths don't live north of the confluence of the Appomattox and the James.

From the Virginia Herpetological Society:

Most snakes people call cottonmouths in this state are just harmless water snakes.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Just based off your description, I'm guessing black rat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking a rat snake but by the shape of the last full sized one I found I thought the head could mature either way.

One of the red dots marks moms house. She has a nasty phobia, I keep trying to get the rat snakes before she kills them so I can let them go in my yard.

She has cotton mouths in the neighborhood and they come up towards the house when we get flooding. Being that it was young I'm gessing a nest just hatched close by. If it was a posionus snake I would be worried about others.

This snake was about the size of a pencil, maybe a bit longer and stuck its head out of the bush while she was sitting next to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was thinking a rat snake but by the shape of the last full sized one I found I thought the head could mature either way.

One of the red dots marks moms house. She has a nasty phobia, I keep trying to get the rat snakes before she kills them so I can let them go in my yard.

She has cotton mouths in the neighborhood and they come up towards the house when we get flooding. Being that it was young I'm gessing a nest just hatched close by. If it was a posionus snake I would be worried about others.

This snake was about the size of a pencil, maybe a bit longer and stuck its head out of the bush while she was sitting next to it.
View Quote

sounds great, except they don't nest, and aren't hatched. also, snakes are venomous, not poisonous.  there's would be no mistaking the head of a water moccasin, if it was one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Lateral stripes or cross bands?

Dark base with lighter lateral stripes would make me guess garter snake.

A rat snake that small would generally be light with darker blotches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

sounds great, except they don't nest, and aren't hatched. also, snakes are venomous, not poisonous.  there's would be no mistaking the head of a water moccasin, if it was one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought snakes laid a bunch of eggs in a hole and they all climb out about the same time? Guess I dont have a clue about snakes though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought snakes laid a bunch of eggs in a hole and they all climb out about the same time? Guess I dont have a clue about snakes though.

http://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14206032_10154035483268717_4404444623362078260_o.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14206032_10154035483268717_4404444623362078260_o.jpg

That is not a hot one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a baby "black racer" not sure of the actual name.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
That one is fine.  cottonmouths have different eyes.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the compact edition.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
That snake is ok.  Put it in a glass of water and it will grow roots, then you can plant it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#21]
it was a black racer neonate ....non venomous
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I wish I had got to it sooner.

At this point, I only kill snakes with pointy heads and thats only if its around people.

I need to figure out how to find and catch them and then let them go in my back yard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Juvenile Northern Black Racer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#24]
In the US (only) in general, if it has round pupils it is harmless. (non-venomous)

That does not mean it won't bite you.

Elliptical pupils (like a cat) mean it is venomous. (a pit viper).

The exception is the Coral Snake, and if you live where they do you had best know how to identify them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, you killed a good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top