Quoted:

Third Wire Thursdays!!

Two Wire Tuesdays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
They use magnets to raise and lower the hook so it only catches the 3 wire on Tuesdays.

Third Wire Thursdays!!

Two Wire Tuesdays.

Bolter wave off Wednesdays?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Also on a Hornet, the fuel tanks depressurize when the hook is down.  Not sure about other aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Gravity

Ed
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Except for when only the hook is down.

http://i.imgur.com/R20KLaU.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When the gear is down, the hook is down.

Except for when only the hook is down.

http://i.imgur.com/R20KLaU.jpg

They do that to drift the corners when turning.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Well just strap one of those on an A-10 and we are set!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wire failure

https://youtu.be/r-EHwYOfY94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the hook or wire fails will the plane stop in time or is the landing aborted?  

Wire failure

How big of a lever do you reckon it took to pry the seat cushions out of their asses?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how thick is the hook, what's it made of, and how many bolts hold it to the airframe. it has got to see a shit load of g's. I'm curious how long they last? any one have a close up photo of one?

View Quote

I've got a hook point from a F-4 that I use as a door stop.  It's much beefier than the hook point from a F-18.  Just a tight fit with a single 5/8"cross bolt, lock washer, and a castellated nut.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's held on by one bolt.  Replaced every 10 traps or sooner if the wear indicator shows it needs to be replaced.  I have one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how thick is the hook, what's it made of, and how many bolts hold it to the airframe. it has got to see a shit load of g's. I'm curious how long they last? any one have a close up photo of one?

It's held on by one bolt.  Replaced every 10 traps or sooner if the wear indicator shows it needs to be replaced.  I have one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

I have one as well.

(9mm added for size reference)

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

the landing gear had to get wet on that one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the hook or wire fails will the plane stop in time or is the landing aborted?  

Wire failure

Probably took 3 hours to break the pilots vacuum lock on his seat. When he ran off the deck I bet you couldn't have driven a greased straight pin up his but with a 20 ton hydraulic press.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No and no....Pilots training for CQ's or carrier qualifications practice FCLP or field carrier landing practice where they perform touch and go landings for their ball flying.  The only reason a Naval Aviator would purposefully take a field arrestment, is if there was an emergency like single engine or landing gear malfunction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the gear is down, the hook is down.  The pilot tries to hit the third wire, but a hook is a hook.

Nope, tailhook can be operated independently of the gear. An F-18 landing at an airfield doesn't need or use the tailhook.

Incorrect, to a point at least.  Military runways have arresting gear.  Ever notice the tail hook on an F-15 or F-16?  It is there so that the pilot can bring a plane down safely that has a malfunction with the brakes or other issues that may prevent stopping the jet.  Sometimes there are three wires, the approach end, the mid and the departure end.  It can also be used if a jet, for whatever reason, cannot get airborne but cannot stop safely before running out of runway.  

http://www.120thairliftwing.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/120304-Z-UJ603-075.JPG

Of course, the Navy also trains Naval Aviators (to include Marine pilots) on arrested landings at shore stations.  The wires will be set up to simulate a carrier deck.  They too have mid and departure end wires for the reasons stated above.  Very wet runways are also hard to stop on, so an arrested landing is sometimes all that stands between re-using the jet tomorrow or sending it into the body and fender shop.

No and no....Pilots training for CQ's or carrier qualifications practice FCLP or field carrier landing practice where they perform touch and go landings for their ball flying.  The only reason a Naval Aviator would purposefully take a field arrestment, is if there was an emergency like single engine or landing gear malfunction.

Or they are attending a CAX at 29 Palms and land on the EAF.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They firewall it to go around I think.

That's why you hear the motors go full gas as he catches a hook ........... just in case he doesn't catch the hook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you hear the motors go full gas as he catches a hook ........... just in case he doesn't catch the hook.

Sunday!Sunday!Sunday! is for bolters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Not really an Arresting hook,  it's more of a " Being Detained " hook
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
On older planes you had 'drop only.'
No real way to raise it up except maybe flying inverted.

It was regarded at the time as 'risky' to put that much hardware on the hook.

Punch the button and it MUST drop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Obviously a photoshop.  

Possibly.  That is a D model. But his one is bonafide my airdale friend

<<< see avatar

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Obviously a photoshop.  

Possibly.  That is a D model. But his one is bonafide my airdale friend

<<< see avatar

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again no....Arresting hooks are built like tanks, and have special inspections for removal in the hundreds (not Ten).  There is a 10 trap inspection though where a depth gauge is used to determine wear patterns.  Where exactly do you guys come up with this bullshit?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Once again no....Arresting hooks are built like tanks, and have special inspections for removal in the hundreds (not Ten).  There is a 10 trap inspection though where a depth gauge is used to determine wear patterns.  Where exactly do you guys come up with this bullshit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AmericanCheese is correct.  There is a 10 trap inspection on the hook point.  Replacement of the hook point is based on the outcome of these inpections.  The tailhook itself is, like he said built like a tank and its attament to the aircraft is much more involved that just a bolt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have one as well.

http://i67.tinypic.com/n6e1qx.jpg

This is a hook point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one as well.

This is a hook point.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Entire tail hook.  You can get a feel for the way it is assembled.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wire failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

Dammit, I'm too slow, I came here to post a link to that event.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, no.  The hook point is replaced after 10 traps or if the D/T turns up a worn one.  We're talking about the hook point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

AmericanCheese is correct.  There is a 10 trap inspection on the hook point.  Replacement of the hook point is based on the outcome of these inpections.  The tailhook itself is, like he said built like a tank and its attament to the aircraft is much more involved that just a bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we're talking about the point.  I'm sure we understand each other now.  

ETA:  OP, the hook shank its self doesn't skid across the ground, the hook point (pictured above) does.  Sorry for the confusion guys.

img host
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Back during WWII, fliers would drop their hooks and do a flyby of the carrier to indicate that they wanted to recover to the carrier.  Don't they still do that today, at least sometimes, to preserve radio silence etc.?   I always figured that was the reason for the stripes on the arresting hook (to make it more conspicuous when down).

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When they land, they push the throttle all the way open and only shut down when they know they've caught the wire and have stopped. If they fail to catch a wire, it's called a "bolter" and they take-off, go around, and try again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they land, they push the throttle all the way open and only shut down when they know they've caught the wire and have stopped. If they fail to catch a wire, it's called a "bolter" and they take-off, go around, and try again.

If the wire fails, the plane is more than likely to end up in the water though. Reason being is that it will slow the plane down enough that they usually don't have the energy to do a bolter.

the above video is not normal, most planes/pilots can't pull that shit off.

This is what normally happens:

Wire failure means you eject.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wire failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

Pilot earned his pay that day.  And, needs new underwear
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Oops
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have one as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one as well.

that's hilarious i have also have one I was an Airframer
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one as well.

Ya, it was about to make a big "splash" until I interviened  lol

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep. Not only does the wire stop the jet, it does so with the jet at full power, afterburner off. Pretty amazing stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Not only does the wire stop the jet, it does so with the jet at full power, afterburner off. Pretty amazing stuff.

Is there a lot of g force during this
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can actually buy the worn out hook ends off ebay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wire failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

I wonder if they ever got the wadded up seat cushions out of the crew's asses?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol, no.  The hook point is replaced after 10 traps or if the D/T turns up a worn one.  We're talking about the hook point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On what platform?  On E2/C2's it absolutely does not get replaced after 10 traps because there is no hook "point", but rather, the tailhook is one solid piece.  I've been flying C2's for 14 years..........
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

On what platform?  On E2/C2's it absolutely does not get replaced after 10 traps because there is no hook "point", but rather, the tailhook is one solid piece.  I've been flying C2's for 14 years..........
View Quote

image hosting free

Huh.  I never noticed that.  Is the Hawkeye the same?  You guys also land a lot slower so I guess it's less blunt force.  Next time you're on a flight deck, take a look at the hooks on the other birds.  They use replaceable hook points (as pictured above).

By the way, former Hornet full system QAR, Safe For Flight, Final Checker (ashore and afloat), High/Low power Instructor and NATOPS Instructor here.  

Have you never been in the Ready Room and seen a hook point hanging over a pilot's seat because he bolters a lot?  

Do you even 130-300 bro?  

Fly Safe.  

ETA:  If you look at the hook points pictured above, the wear indicator is a 90deg piece of the hook point which drags against the deck/runway.  When it's worn down to flat it gets replaced.  The shank its self gets NDI'd every so often, but I forget the cycle.  If it hits the fan tail it just gets ripped off right away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We had a USMC captain bolt so many times that when he caught the wire the bolt holding the shoe shot of and hit the conning tower. We actually heard it during flight ops.  Needless to say he was given a large dose of feces for his landing ability.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

We had a USMC captain bolt so many times that when he caught the wire the bolt holding the shoe shot of and hit the conning tower. We actually heard it during flight ops.  Needless to say he was given a large dose of feces for his landing ability.  

that's what he gets for trying to land on a sub.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Incorrect, to a point at least.  Military runways have arresting gear.  Ever notice the tail hook on an F-15 or F-16?  It is there so that the pilot can bring a plane down safely that has a malfunction with the brakes or other issues that may prevent stopping the jet.  Sometimes there are three wires, the approach end, the mid and the departure end.  It can also be used if a jet, for whatever reason, cannot get airborne but cannot stop safely before running out of runway.  

http://www.120thairliftwing.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/120304-Z-UJ603-075.JPG

Of course, the Navy also trains Naval Aviators (to include Marine pilots) on arrested landings at shore stations.  The wires will be set up to simulate a carrier deck.  They too have mid and departure end wires for the reasons stated above.  Very wet runways are also hard to stop on, so an arrested landing is sometimes all that stands between re-using the jet tomorrow or sending it into the body and fender shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the gear is down, the hook is down.  The pilot tries to hit the third wire, but a hook is a hook.

Nope, tailhook can be operated independently of the gear. An F-18 landing at an airfield doesn't need or use the tailhook.

It's all fun and games until a pilot keeps his wheels on the ground too long after missing the simulator carrier traps and catches the mid-field wire. The one I watched do that heard about it from his squadron mates for weeks, in addition to everyone laughing at him as he waited to be unhooked and the wire reset so he could get back to simulated traps with our new shiney (needed X cats and traps before it could move to shipboard testing).

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That would be quite a site to watch a f-18 land on Tarmac with the hook down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sparks as the hooks drags along the runway.  Nothing big.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

there are airfields with arresting wires - Goodyear AZ, for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Goodyear only had old retired airliners?!?!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happens all the time.
It's called a "Field Arrestment".

There are many different types of field arresting gear, the BAK 12 and 14 and E-28 being the most common.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.download&key=629277ED-4809-49BA-AECB-B9570A1B867E
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would look a lot like this.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/LLXaUH7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a8mNTvl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the Navy pilot would have a sink rate of 500-700 feet per minute and would slam that bitch to the deck right before the wire, so sparkage would be minimal.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody there has or had contracts to do some work on military fighter aircraft, hence the cables.  I seem to recall there being one of the AF's drone conversion contractors being there back in the 1980s, so they would have needed a cable system then.  That was for either the QF-100 or the QF-106 drone program, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

So did the crew seats.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, the Navy pilot would have a sink rate of 500-700 feet per minute and would slam that bitch to the deck right before the wire, so sparkage would be minimal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, they only land one way.  

And it doesn't matter if they have 12K+ of runway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#47]
F-14 is pneumatic/hydraulically lowered and hydraulically raised.

I was lucky enough to be given the hook point of 'my' bird, buno 162600, while I was senior plane captain for our squadron on the Nimitz.  Hook points were changed out after 100 arrested landings.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Something I just found out about today. This will put some hair on your chest!

Eric Brown really was all that is man, I wish I could have met him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Start at 2 minutes
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Start at 2:30 minutes
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top