Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2016 10:07:01 AM EDT
I've decided I need a rollback.  It'll be for personal use hauling heavy stuff or our tractor.  I dabble in some machine tools as a hobby and its just the easiest way to move stuff around.  I'm young and I figure if I get one now and take care of it I'll have it for the rest of my life.  The problem is, I've never had a diesel automobile and I really don't know anything about rollbacks so I don't know what to look at, what to run from, etc. I don't even know what I want, which is why I'm asking.  

My budget isn't extremely high as it applies to the rollback world.  I'd rather spend about $15k or less, but might could go to $20k.  Old is totally cool though.  What is considered high miles on a diesel?  

I'm all ears for anything helpful, non-helpful, funny or entertaining.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Google has not helped me...  What is a rollback?

never-mind... I finally figured it out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what a "rollback" is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It's like a tow truck
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Jim,  it's a flat-bed car hauler.  I've never heard them called anything but a rollback.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Flatbed tow truck, bed tilts back and has a winch at the front of the bed to pull vehicles up onto the bed, then it tilts back flat again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jim,  it's a flat-bed car hauler.  I've never heard them called anything but a rollback.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were talking about a roll off dumpster.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Look here:

http://autoequipmentinc.com/carriers_home.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a pretty nice 12k trailer with a winch for way less than $15k.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#10]
NEVER run your cable through a side hook to "straighten" your load while winching it up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then I have to buy a real truck.  Right now I have a Taco.  Great truck, but not the best at heavy hauling.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Find a towtruck illegally parked.  Tow it.  Charge $350 for the tow and $150/day for the storage fee plus monthly interest.

Or something.  If you can do it legally.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought OP was looking for deals at Walmart...

My bad.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy has a good point. And he overlooked another good point.

A hobby roll back is going to sit a lot of the time I would think.

Sitting kills a vehicle.

I've got a buddy with a gas powered roll back and he's constantly fixing the sob. Not so much the engine but everything else that really should be used to keep it working properly.

Anything over 300k on a medium/light diesel is high miles. A tow truck is going to be abused. That is what they are for, to be abused.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sitting kills a vehicle.

I've got a buddy with a gas powered roll back and he's constantly fixing the sob. Not so much the engine but everything else that really should be used to keep it working properly.

Anything over 300k on a medium/light diesel is high miles. A tow truck is going to be abused. That is what they are for, to be abused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sitting kills a vehicle.

I can DD it every once in a while.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
while diesels and overdrive transmissions are cool they eventuality will cost you a pile of cash when they fail..... the best one I saw  in the wild a friend had a 1984 gmc with a small block chev in it with a manual trans and Dana 70 rear.... a guy could keep that going on the cheap along time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Look at insurance and registration before you go any further . Look at what the state requires even as a privately owned wrecker.  Buy a medium duty truck like an F-650 or an international 4700 way before a light duty wrecker .  Expect expensive repairs . If you can find one with air brakes and air ride you would be way ahead of the game .
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Screw getting a rollback. If you want something easy to load on, buy a tilt deck trailer. You can use it for much more things than what you can use the roll back for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Screw getting a rollback. If you want something easy to load on, buy a tilt deck trailer. You can use it for much more things than what you can use the roll back for.
View Quote

The only tilt deck trailers I've seen are little utility trailers.   Do they have these tilt ones with steel flooring?  Thinking about sliding a 4,000 pound piece of machining equipment onto a tilt trailer makes me cringe.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#20]
A tow truck / flat bed / roll back is commercial use vehicle and as such just like a government vehicle has the every living shit beat out of it on a daily basis because, that's what it is supposed to do.  You want to buy a use one that's under $20,000 when these things new I would have to bet are $60-100,000.  

Bad idea OP, for $15-20,000 you'd be better off getting a high mileage early 2000's HD Silverado for under 10,000 then spending the rest on a trailer.  

A used tow truck will cost you thousands in repairs alone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've decided I need a rollback.  It'll be for personal use hauling heavy stuff or our tractor.  I dabble in some machine tools as a hobby and its just the easiest way to move stuff around.  I'm young and I figure if I get one now and take care of it I'll have it for the rest of my life.  The problem is, I've never had a diesel automobile and I really don't know anything about rollbacks so I don't know what to look at, what to run from, etc. I don't even know what I want, which is why I'm asking.  

My budget isn't extremely high as it applies to the rollback world.  I'd rather spend about $15k or less, but might could go to $20k.  Old is totally cool though.  What is considered high miles on a diesel?  

Thanks.  
View Quote

insuring that type of vehicle will be... interesting.  It does not qualify as a "private passenger automobile" so you can't put it on your regular car policy.  Commercial auto policy will probably be $$-prohibitive since you aren't making money with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Not just insurance, but also weight fees can come into play.

It gets expensive.

That being said, I'd look for a really old one, or a military unit and register/insure it as a historic vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only tilt deck trailers I've seen are little utility trailers.   Do they have these tilt ones with steel flooring?  Thinking about sliding a 4,000 pound piece of machining equipment onto a tilt trailer makes me cringe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see contractors hauling huge skid steers and stuff on them all the time.  ETA: big one's I mean.  Tandem axle, not the little utility kind

Something like this would fit your bill - no idea what the used market is on these: http://www.bigtextrailers.com/14ft-pro-series-full-tilt-bed-equipment/
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#24]
For those that never make it out of the basement...I give you a rollback...

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Definitely look into registration,insurance,and licensing costs.

Not all of them are beat to death-like anything,you have to look around.

I'm getting ready to sell my 95 Ford with a 19 1/2 ft aluminum bed and stinger.166k,always inside,and taken care of.I'm the only one that runs it.Had it almost 15 years.Been a good truck and has never needed anything major.

Handy for moving all sorts of stuff,but height is always a consideration compared to a trailer.The DOT is pretty hard up here as far as leaks,etc..,so you need to keep up on everything to avoid fines.If you do your own work,that will save you money.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#26]
The first time you're changing 2 batteries, filters, fluids, tires etc on a truck you almost never use you're going to be kicking yourself for not getting a trailer with ramps instead.

Trade in the Taco, get a truck to pull a 7 ton trailer and be under budget.  

how to screen capture
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy an Army LHS and a spare trailer and some spare crops ( photo below)

You can self load 2, 20ft containers.

it can load a crop in less then a minute.

LHS

crop

w/trailer

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Just delivered to us.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I also agree with those saying you need to ask your insurance carrier about it and check what the state will want for registration.

Here in tn it is easy to get a license plate for a personal use step van, getting insurance took some work.  I have a commercial policy on the step van and sign a paper that I use the step van for personal use and not for commercial use.  Does not wind up being expensive but took a bit to get figured out and is a seperate policy so no deductions for having multiple vehicles and what not.

One fella delivering those small wooden storage buildings has a really cool 2 axle trailer.  The deck not only tilts it can swivel some as well.  It allows him to get the little storage buildings into all kinds of nooks and crannies, and as mentioned the trailer will have a lower load height than a roll back.

For the cost of a roll back and all the headaches that go with registration and what not you can call a tow company and have them come out and move stuff around a lot.

I do understand wanting to have your own stuff, but I would seriously look at weight ratings on the pickup truck stuff after calling my car insurance company to see what they would charge to insure such an item.

And stuff like this is a big deal if you ever take beer in trade for helping a friend that broke down.  Easiest thing I ever did with the step van was tell people it is my mobile tool shed and not for use when they want to move or go buy furniture or something.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make heavy duty tilt trailers with steel decks.  PJ is one.  I bought their 7000 lb steel deck trailer two weeks ago and installed a Smittybilt winch.  They make heavy ones specifically for equipment and tractors.  A dealer may have what you want in stock.  If not, you can custom order one.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/

Here is a wood deck, also in stock with steel decks.  These were too heavy for my intended use:  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Make a nice shooting platform too,if you are into that sorta thing.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just delivered to us.
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/junk/IMG_20161031_100712599_zpsjqv4brve.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/junk/IMG_20161031_100712599_zpsjqv4brve.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a Sloan's Kwik Load 5th wheel rollback trailer that I used for several years. I added a winch to load things that won't/can't move on their own. There have been many times I wished that I still had the thing! Since you have a Tacoma, they do have another option that might work. I don't know your tow rating, nor what size tractor you have, but if its under 6k then this trailer would be perfect. My only suggestion is to get some wheel chocks when you need to roll it back or up again. The trailer brakes don't have enough grip to hold and you might end up dragging it instead of returning it to the up position...not that I have ever done that.

There are probably other brands out there on the market, this is just the one I have experience with. Also, I am not sure about this website but it is the first one I found when I did a quick search just now. They have more photos on the listing. If its like my gooseneck the fenders are held on with wing-nuts so you can load a car and still get the doors open/closed without hitting them on the fenders.

Trailer Auction
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I personally know these people and can vouch for their equipment: click me
Most of the equipment rental businesses(United, Hertz, H&E, etc.) use their heavy haulers to deliver and transport equipment all over.  Everything is made in Texarkana, TX and they take care of their employees very well.  They have remotely operated functions from wireless remotes and other functions as well.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They make heavy duty tilt trailers with steel decks.  PJ is one.  I bought their 7000 lb steel deck trailer two weeks ago and installed a Smittybilt winch.  They make heavy ones specifically for equipment and tractors.  A dealer may have what you want in stock.  If not, you can custom order one.

Here is a wood deck, also in stock with steel decks.  These were too heavy for my intended use:  

http://images.auction123.com/7cbf89ae-3758-472a-bafc-69048dff5eaa/257966/01.jpg?wtrmk10nw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.auction123.com/7cbf89ae-3758-472a-bafc-69048dff5eaa/257966/01.jpg?wtrmk10nw

I've got an 18ft 14k gvwr till trailer looks just like yours but made by Sure Trac, they are local here. FIL has a 22ft tilt that has a 4ft fixed section and 18ft tilt. I have really considered trading mine for a 16ft 14k gvwr dump trailer. The tilt is nice for loading when dry but not so great when its slick and the dump is much more versatile.
I vote a real truck and dump trailer. Or a one ton or larger dump truck. Stay under 26k gvwr if you don't have a cdl.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#36]
For moving machinery?

http://www.airtow.com/trailers-in-action/

Much better to have two trailers, and rent a truck to drag them long distances - than to have a truck sit.

I have tried it both ways.  Gas or diesel, if it sits a lot it will bite you in the ass.  Plus the taxes & registration on a commercial vehicle.

I can go to Home Depot, and rent a near new truck for cheap, and it is unlikely to blow a bypass hose on the first grade I pull.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Make a nice shooting platform too,if you are into that sorta thing.
http://i.imgur.com/qMy9fJ3.jpg
View Quote
I had a Kilar in '89, until some time around '95.

I loved that thing.

It was way better than the Jerr-Dans, and everything else was worse.

The 'chain-boxes' for the 2nd car tow was a better concept than actuality, tho.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are tilt and drop bed heavy equipment trailers that are perfect for moving machine tools for much cheaper than buying a rollback that I bet even your taco could pull safely

ETA they are pricier than I thought but here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Anderson-HGL10612-Hydraulic-Drop-Deck-Scissor-Lift-Trailer-6-x-12-/161874138324
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are tilt and drop bed heavy equipment trailers that are perfect for moving machine tools for much cheaper than buying a rollback that I bet even your taco could pull safely

ETA they are pricier than I thought but here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Anderson-HGL10612-Hydraulic-Drop-Deck-Scissor-Lift-Trailer-6-x-12-/161874138324
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is completely awesome!  I will pursue this with a lot of research.  

Some of the trailers guys are posting pictures of just won't cut it.  Tonight I'm going to move a 3,000 pound lathe.  I can get it loaded with a forklift but when I get home I'm going to have to take it apart on the trailer before I can unload it with either the tractor or an engine lift.  If I had a rollback I could just scoot it off.  I can keep renting rollbacks when necessary but guys want $2 a mile.   If I find something good 300 miles away they either won't touch it or its $600.  Do that once a month and its $7,200 a year.   See where I'm headed?  Anything would pay for itself in time, but I do see the benefit of getting a bigger truck and a trailer like quoted above.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The first time you're changing 2 batteries, filters, fluids, tires etc on a truck you almost never use you're going to be kicking yourself for not getting a trailer with ramps instead.

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/meogvz9yl/" target="_blank">https://s22.postimg.org/apkh80j01/2013_Load_Trail_Load_Trail_7_ton_Equipment_Trail.jpg</a>how to screen capture
View Quote

How are you going to scoot a 4,000 pound milling machine, lathe, brake, shaper, etc up those ramps and back off?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
How are you going to scoot a 4,000 pound milling machine, lathe, brake, shaper, etc up those ramps and back off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/meogvz9yl/" target="_blank">https://s22.postimg.org/apkh80j01/2013_Load_Trail_Load_Trail_7_ton_Equipment_Trail.jpg</a>how to screen capture

A winch and rollers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A flat ramp and winch.

ETA:  The ramps on the trailers like I posted slide (for vehicles with a shorter wheelbase) so you could easily make a flat ramp as wide or narrow as you'd like.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A winch and rollers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A winch and rollers.

there are also specialized roller pads for what the OP is looking to do as well.   I would find a rigging company and buy the guys some beer and steaks for a intro in to rigging equipment and how NOT to drop shit.

ETA scooting a 4K mill is easy, a couple chunks of hardroll and a rockbar.  long and tall lathes on the other hand are a bit more interesting.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have that exact same trailer 16 foot tilt with 4 foot stationary deck. Cost me just shy of $6k new last spring. Tilt deck trailers are the shit for loading and unloading heavy stuff. You can find them a bit cheaper but they will only have 5k axles vs 7k. If you dont need to haul more than 7k or so look for a tilt deck car hauler trailer they can be had for around $5k but will only be a 10k gvw trailer.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks.  
View Quote
Too bad your not in WA, I've got a F650 with a 30 foot bed sitting here.

Ed

Eta; though it's a bit more than 20k
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#46]
They gotem at Walmart.
Jus sayin'
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice, I used to drive a Peterbilt just like it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

They gotem at Walmart.

Jus sayin'
View Quote
I

see

what you did there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Consider walking into one of the shops that does that kind of work and striking up a conversation.

Make sure to let them know that you're not buying it to go into business, but to move around your own personal XX vehicle to car shows etc.

They'll be able to tell you what's good and what's a waste of money.

Worth a shot, anyway.   The places around here have pretty friendly folks working there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some people call them flat bed car haulers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top