BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People have been making large bore gas piston rifles since the 1930's.

hispano suiza
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a more constructive note, how about a roller delayed locked breach with a recoiling barrel?  Basically a CZ-52 action scaled up about 300%.  Simple design, and the recoiling barrel will help smooth out some of the recoil.

http://www.outdoorebooks.com/ebay/cz52en/im-11.jpg

I was basically scaling up an AK like bolt/carrier using 3 lugs and a barrel and barrel extension.  Mostly so you could take the thing down as it was going to weigh something like 100lbs and have a 38" barrel.  But also because barrel extensions make a lot of the necessary machining operations easier.
Problem with a gas system is that drilling into the barrel, etc, is risky and it's not like you have a bunch of barrels on which to experiment.  Lots of variables - diameter of the hole, distance from the breach, weight of carrier, etc.  Recoil operation is just weight of components and spring rates.
People have been making large bore gas piston rifles since the 1930's.

hispano suiza
Obviously.  But those are production items.  OP is making a one-off.  Though he seemed to address my concerns below.

Still think he ought to do recoil operated.  But my wishes have the same weight as everyone else's here - way WAY less than the OP's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy buttery tittys, I thought the Anzio 20mm rifles were insane, but a semi-auto? Going to be epic!!!

Going to do 20MM Vulcan or 20x138 Solothurn?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As I recall driving bands were to provide a soft material that would be engraved by the rifling when the projectile itself might be inappropriate - cast steel for fragmenting, or a thin casing for explosive charge.  If the projectile itself is soft material, I'd think they wouldn't be necessary.

But, instead of lathe turning solids, what about using tubing?  20mm is 0.787".  2 options:
  • 3/4" Copper tubing is 0.875" OD.  You could either draw it into jackets or (my favorite) use metal spinning over a mandrel to form jackets, then pour in molten lead.
  • 1/2" piping is 0.840" OD.  Buy a bunch of brass nipples at the local big box, form the point then machine down the OD and fill with lead.
View Quote

For a few reasons.  I've drawn jackets for smaller calibers, it's a valid proposition, but casting the lead core is problematic.  Hard to get consistent weights without swaging the core, inserting it, then swaging the assembly to final diameter.

And I have CNC turning equipment at my disposal.  Turning out 100 brass or bronze or copper solids would be a higher material cost, but a lower time+material cost for me personally.  If shooting it became such an expense that I needed to find a cost reduction in ammunition, then what you're proposing would be my next step.  I have a press capable of doing it.  I would just need to make dies.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For a few reasons.  I've drawn jackets for smaller calibers, it's a valid proposition, but casting the lead core is problematic.  Hard to get consistent weights without swaging the core, inserting it, then swaging the assembly to final diameter.

And I have CNC turning equipment at my disposal.  Turning out 100 brass or bronze or copper solids would be a higher material cost, but a lower time+material cost for me personally.  If shooting it became such an expense that I needed to find a cost reduction in ammunition, then what you're proposing would be my next step.  I have a press capable of doing it.  I would just need to make dies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I recall driving bands were to provide a soft material that would be engraved by the rifling when the projectile itself might be inappropriate - cast steel for fragmenting, or a thin casing for explosive charge.  If the projectile itself is soft material, I'd think they wouldn't be necessary.

But, instead of lathe turning solids, what about using tubing?  20mm is 0.787".  2 options:
  • 3/4" Copper tubing is 0.875" OD.  You could either draw it into jackets or (my favorite) use metal spinning over a mandrel to form jackets, then pour in molten lead.
  • 1/2" piping is 0.840" OD.  Buy a bunch of brass nipples at the local big box, form the point then machine down the OD and fill with lead.

In that case, I have a copper round about 8" long by 1.5" diameter I found - I think it was part of a large piece of electrical equipment.  Want it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if a .50 bmg empty case would make a good candidate for transforming into a 20mm bullet jacket?

If so, I have a bunch of fired .50 blanks for you...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP is not new to sailing uncharted NFA waters.
View Quote

I was totally messing with him.  I'm psyched to see this beast!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Becker 20mm cannon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becker_Type_M2_20_mm_cannon

Fired a short case 20mm:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc22.htm

It had advance-fire ignition so no locking lugs needed.  (Like Solothurn cannon)

Seems to be open bolt F/A, but it might be a good starting point.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Advanced primer ignition timing on a 20mm round with a few hundred grains of powder makes my ass pucker.

Getting the timing right could be an expensive and exciting process of trial and error.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
God bless America and the OP!    :-)
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
OST
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I heard about a guy who built himself an un-papered 30mm rifle that used a GAU-8 barrel and fired A-10 rounds.  IIRC there was a blown up gas station when the thing fired in the trunk of a car while being finger-fucked as he showed it to a buddy who ran the gas station.

I seem to recall that many years in Leavenworth was the main result from that exercise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit man, why not go 30mm? You could be the only guy on your block who shoots the same rounds as the the A-10. Heck, maybe there are even GAU-8 barrels floating around out there.  

I heard about a guy who built himself an un-papered 30mm rifle that used a GAU-8 barrel and fired A-10 rounds.  IIRC there was a blown up gas station when the thing fired in the trunk of a car while being finger-fucked as he showed it to a buddy who ran the gas station.

I seem to recall that many years in Leavenworth was the main result from that exercise.

GAU-8 is as big as a car. Car > trunk.  Somethings up here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a stout 10ga shotgun action.  
View Quote

LOL...wouldn't want to even be close to it when the hammer fell.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

30mm SBR

Sounds like a story along the same lines as the police car radar causing a Harrier to lock on and try to fire a Sidewinder at it...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I, for one, will sleep better in my bed at night, knowing that a rough man stands ready to do violence on my behalf with a homemade 30mm rifle.

You go, OP.
View Quote

He ain't ready to do violence with it, he's ready to recreate and be cultural with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since I assume you are prepared to do some machining and modification anyway, what about starting with the receiver design from an older HMG? The old styles of HMG were scaled up to some impressive calibers well above 20mm, and their receivers were effectively welded boxes. Think Maxim-type stuff, or ww2-era autocannon. It might be easier to approach it from that angle, rather than the anti-tank rifle angle. Of course going off of an autocannon lineage is going to bring much more weight, but it might also be significantly easier to build. Looking at something like the 37mm QF 1-pounder Maxim (there is a great Forgotten Weapons video on it showing the internals) might give you ideas.

What kind of 20mm are you thinking? There is a world of difference between a custom short 20mm (like a 20mm version of the old stubby 37mm used in the 37mm Maxim) and one of the bigger 20mm rounds like 20x102mm or 20x138mmB.
View Quote

That idea won't be practical, to be a non DD, it needs to be a RIFLE, which requires a shoulder stock.   A 20mm firearm would not fall under the exemption.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That idea won't be practical, to be a non DD, it needs to be a RIFLE, which requires a shoulder stock.   A 20mm firearm would not fall under the exemption.
View Quote

That's part of the reason my design was following the path it was, to be a shoulder fired rifle, just for different reasons.  I really just wanted to one up Jerry Miculek's rapid fire with a Barrett on YouTube.  . I'm a pretty big boy I think I could do it if I can keep it under 100 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Advanced primer ignition timing on a 20mm round with a few hundred grains of powder makes my ass pucker.

Getting the timing right could be an expensive and exciting process of trial and error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And you're opening a whole different can of worms with an open bolt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#18]
read up on the twelve gauge from hell (12-gafh)

sporting as all get out
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
read up on the twelve gauge from hell (12-gafh)

sporting as all get out
View Quote

That I haven't heard of in a while.  I remember when Hugh (I think?) started that project on homegunsmith/Roderus years ago.  He got some obscene performance out of that thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've thought that every time I've read that in this thread.   I don't see a functional 30mm rifle fitting in the trunk of a car.  Strikes me as BS .
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you're saying that one barrel, that could be cut to any length for the project, is as big as a car? Or are you just using really bad logic? 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you're saying that one barrel, that could be cut to any length for the project, is as big as a car? Or are you just using really bad logic? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even cut down a 30mm rifle is probably going to be huge.   20 - 30 lbs at the absolute minimum and probably a lot more.   Look how big a Barrett is, and you break one down for transport generally.   An assembled Barrett isn't going to fit in a lot of trunks, and a 30mm rifle is probably going to be worse.  
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top