BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course this is GD but.......Blood and Guts aint my thang
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You bet, I grew up on a farm!!!  For those that think they might come take from me, I have a 100yard clear field of fire, to protect!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You would be surprised what humans would do in order to survive.

That friendly old grandma that lives in 2B? She would eat your STILL LIVING dog if she were hungry enough.
View Quote

friendly old grandma has probably seen some things...
wife's grandma grew up on a farm
things got bad enough that they literally ate crow
they did lots of things to survive but she says the crow was the worst
and tasted really bad
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You should be fine, even without it. This is literally stuff that cavemen figured out how to do on their own. That said, a book or two on the subject is a wise investment. Youtube probably isn't going to be there for you if it gets to the point that you're doing novice butchering jobs on animals.
View Quote

Wrong
Killed my first deer this year. Could have stopped mid butcherto watch YouTube
In all seriousness tho anybody have a book to recommend about preserving?
I could probably get away with trying to smoke it starting from zero but some real facts would be nice. I'm particularly curious about salt preservation
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I do it all the time with fish, and other game.  I've skinned/processed my own deer and pigs dozens upon dozens of times.;  I'd think sheep and goat would be the same as a deer.

I'd imagine a cow wouldn't be any different, just a lot bigger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've processed my own deer for decades. It's the only red meat my wife and I eat, except for a little ground round mixed in with the burger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe you are looking for "efficiently"

Any idiot with a knife can cut a chunk of meat off an animal.  Getting as little waste as possible is the challenge.
View Quote

Time consuming maybe but not a challenge
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicken, Rabbit, Deer
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah that's what I was going for

But hell I think even the majority of the population under about 30 now a days would be scared to even take a knife near an animal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any idiot with a knife can cut a chunk of meat off an animal.  Getting as little waste as possible is the challenge.

But hell I think even the majority of the population under about 30 now a days would be scared to even take a knife near an animal

A good example would be old Alexander Supertramp himself.

Starving to death in a bus in Alaska he gets lucky and kills a baby moose (mooselet, I think) with his Nylon 66.  Then he fails miserably at smoking it and dies not too long afterward.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey!! I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking.  I can butcher a cow and cook the meat.  Not saying it will be the pretties thing but...I'll git er done./
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I could handle pigs and most birds. I'm not familiar with the anatomy of the others. 

Im not a hunter. No one in my family ever did, so I was never taught. Therefore, I'm fairly grossed out with guts and such. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I will admit I have not tried to hit peak efficiency.  I have never bothered to clean my own sausage casing.  Have not skinned a head yet for the good parts (have cleaned cooked skinned heads).  Have not made haggis out of a stomach from a kill,, or carefully simmered the blood for blood sausage.  Did have a nice soup stock from some feet and necks (chicken) last week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, I'm going to have to live off fish.  Fortunately, I like eating fish.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it all the time. Birds are a little harder for me since I don't it as much.

My mother was talking about something the other day. What was your impression of America in the 1950's? TV shows like Perry Mason, Dragnet, I love Lucy, Ed Sullivan paint a very modern and civilized society. Her family life was very different from that. They would come in from working in the fields at 11am, her mother (my grandmother) would catch, kill, scald, pluck, dress and cook a chicken and have it ready for lunch by 12 noon.

A normal life in rural America in the 1950's. A far cry from Lawrence Welk and Leave it to Beaver.

Modern people talking about being poor and underprivileged just irritate the fuck out of me when I think what my parents went through on a daily basis.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
If society ever got to the point that I had to kill and process wild animals to survive, I would have already survived all sorts of other things that should have killed me. I guess I'd figure it out.

That being said I'd like to actually go hunting once in my life and go through the process of processing the game.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Used to do food stuff with a bunch of liberals.  Butchered some goats with them.  Some HEM was doing the slaughtering.  Scared the crap out of me.  Use a fucking knife bitch, and quite swing that 22 around all over the place trying to get your shot.  Entire experience freaked out my wife and stepson.  We wasted some good goat because of that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
No

I could probably work it out if I needed to. I've seen it done on tv for example

In an emergency I could ram a stick up its arse and spit roast something

Fires,shelters etc no problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Done plenty of wild game and fish.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I want a u-tube of a wild deer turned loose in NYC a week after SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I average 3-4 deer a year plus whatever my old lady shoots... We raise chickens, both for eggs and meat. I fish, ponds, streams and frozen lakes..Trap and hunt small game.. Id say 80% of my "hobbies" end with meat in the freezer... This year however I cheated I had 3 deer hanging at one time and had an emergency job pop up that took up all my spare time, so I had to drop 2 deer off..
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I take my daughter hunting for rabbit. We started when she was 6 and every year I increase her responsibilities. First she was the spotter. Then she was the flusher. Now she is the retriever. Next step is the Cleaner. The last step is the Shooter. I make her stay and I walk her through the processing and inspection process. Little thing can eat a whole rabbit by herself! She begs me to go hunting!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Been awhile, but I don't see not being able to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
My mom likes frog legs.  I used to go out in the swamp at night and come back with a sack of frogs.  Cleaning them was the best part.  You cut off their heads right under their armpits.  Then the nerves start going and you have a bunch of frog heads with arms, all walking around in circles until you finish them all.  It's pretty awesome when you have 20 or so going at the same time.  This is a good idea for those of you who want to introduce your kids to the outdoors.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Besides skin and eyeballs I have got recipes and can cook pretty much everything down to bones soup and bone marrow. Meat, tripe, organs, tongue, brain etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I admittedly cannot. It's a known deficiency, and Ive tried to rectify it two years in a row with willing mentors, but came up dry on all hunts for large game. Never cared to shoot small game, I know I wouldn't use the meat anyways.

Can anyone direct me to a "good" YouTube or the like?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I admittedly cannot. It's a known deficiency, and Ive tried to rectify it two years in a row with willing mentors, but came up dry on all hunts for large game. Never cared to shoot small game, I know I wouldn't use the meat anyways.

Can anyone direct me to a "good" YouTube or the like?
View Quote

Scott Rea Project on You Tube for all your game butchering and cooking needs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Of course!  I can even process LIVING animals into food WHILE they are still living AND never harm any of them..  P  F  M
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Most people would figure it out right away.  It isn't like it is difficult or some great skill or anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the skills to turn dead ones into food, I don't think I would eat a live one unless I was really desperate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Just did two Texas wild pork shoulders yesterday.  Samples were quite tasty.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I've been hunting and preparing game since I was a wee lad.   I also know my way around poles and nets, though I don't really like to eat fish.  But starving, yeah, I'd munch up some trout right quick like.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]
So, in a country that eats millions of chickens a day, people would starve when they can't figure out how to clean a duck?  

In a "SHTF scenario" in the US, you wouldn't find a live animal within walking distance of a highway anywhere.  If there IS a small percentage of people who don't know how to clean wild game or fish, they'd figure it out pretty damn fast, or they'd just ask somebody who knows how.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
If you mean shoot a deer, gut it, and drop it off at the butcher, then yes, I'm pretty good at that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
All my life, and long ago lost count.

I remember my pops tying hens by the feet to my moms clothes line and lopping off their heads, I'd watch them fly and flop in loops, then hang and drain while we waited for the scalding water to get hot.

lost track of deer and pigs a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
With fish yeah. Never been hunting I'm sure I could get some meat but it sure as hell wouldn't be efficient. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
No, but I can cook a dead one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Have hunted and fished most of my life. I have turned many critters into food over the years.  I also have a backyard garden that put out stupid amounts of veggies, enough to feed approx 16 people most of late spring through early fall, as well as multiple fruit trees.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I hunt birds so I'm really good at doing those. I also hunt small game and can do those as well- though it wouldn't be as efficient or well done. I've helped my dad do deer before. I might be able to pull it off, but if I were to shoot one of those, I would prefer to have somebody else do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep, no issues from field to freezer for most wild game. Have the tools to process them correctly. Can also do pig and cow but it has been a few years since processing either of those.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

But a is as if it comes to the point. is a you have to find and process animals no one's been a be afraid.

more frightening is the fact that is nowhere near enough animals to feed your neighborhood
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I hung, gutted, skinned and quartered 3 150 lb hogs in the dark last week. Took me hour and a half.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Farm boy, so yeah.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Yup, it's been a while though.  But I can clean and prepare fish, rabbit, and deer.  I think it's a valuable skill to have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Whether it swims, flies, or runs, I can kill and cook it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top