Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2017 3:09:01 AM EDT
Watching the original trilogy in honor of the princess, started thinking.  Are droids so forgettable that no one remembers them?  Obi Wan didn't seem to remember R2D2 in A New Hope, even though he was around him prior to Anakin's turn.

In Empire, when Han is frozen in carbonite, C3P0 is there on Chewbacca's back.  Vader doesn't even recognize or acknowledge his creation.  I know 3P0 wouldn't recognize Vader, but one would think Anakin would remember his protocol droid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you saw your old toaster at a yardsale years later would you care
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
As usual FPNI
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to wonder why it was that such a long time ago, in a galaxy so far away, there existed creatures that appeared to be human! Where was planet Earth? Clearly, none of these people are familiar with its existence and yet they speak English and are familiar with earthly things... such as Falcons.

It led me to a fork in the road. It made me wonder if perhaps these space traveling beings seeded Earth with their species and that's how we came to be.

Or...

If it's just a fucking movie and not to be thought on too closely.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I figure there are tons of droids and protocol droids around. I'm sure they all look similar. Like seeing a Honda parked on the street.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Blinded by hate he is, recognize his droids he does not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Watching in honor or Leia but you are talking about robots. Maybe you watched too much.  Start up Jedi, watch for 30 minutes then stop.  Then later on repeat. Then reflect on cocaine being a hell of a drug and quite possibly the best diet supliment a 20 something girl can take and how awesome of a ride that would have been.  Then watch The Burbs.  Carrie Fisher became a 40 looking mom quick and for the rest of her life.

Asshole banter aside.  The whole thing was fucked up as soon as o Tried to read a Star Wars novel.  So weird. But the movies were so awesome because of the special effects.  You didn't have to wear uniforms like Star Trek and your dog shot guns.  Fantasy eleventy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
You go live in the desert for 40 years and you see how many machines you remember.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Continuity errors.  Anakin and Vader were originally different men.  Luke and Leia were not siblings and were to become a couple before Han Solo became a beloved character and needed to be more relevant to the story.  George made shit up as he went.  There was no complete arc from the beginning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In Empire, when Han is frozen in carbonite, C3P0 is there on Chewbacca's back.  Vader doesn't even recognize or acknowledge his creation.  I know 3P0 wouldn't recognize Vader, but one would think Anakin would remember his protocol droid.
View Quote

Vader stops Fett from shooting Chewbacca's back, which incidentally would have been 3P0 being shot instead:
start at :30, Fett stopped at :40
my son
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]

From a comic that's apparently cannon.  Vader did remember C3P0
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Vader killed Obi-Wan and took his place before saving Luke from the sand people. He got the droids, the stolen plans, and then gave Luke a lightsaber so he could mess with his head. Hans and the Princess were never real, they were actors hired by Vader so he could have some fun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Am I the only person who has never seen a Star Wars movie?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Nerd thread....
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You go live in the desert for 40 years and you see how many machines you remember.
View Quote

Actually it was just twenty years.  
And he (obi wan) aged badly in that short time, figuring he was maybe 60 when ANH occurred.

But maybe he wasn't being completely truthful to Luke.  From a certain point of view, he did not own droids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The droids run on Windows so they forget shit when someone hit control/alt/delete.

Nowhere is it ever implied that Vader and Obi did not know the droids when they saw them they just did not want to acknowledge it in public or it would give away who they were.

Or Lucas is a lousy writer and has no idea what continuity is in a long running story.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I built that toaster from junk yard scraps as a kid? Probably.

Then again, I don't have as much on my mind as say, a henchman to a galactic ruler in the middle of a war against insurgents  spanning across thousands of words.

Also, there is the possibility that C3PO wasn't the first droid that he built. Maybe he re-built multiple things Watto over the years and lost track.

Lastly, C3PO didn't have a covering when Anikin left, so maybe he just looked like a standard droid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
If George Lucas had taken the time to work out a complex story arc and a cast where there's more than 12 people over 6 movies, he would've realized that Darth Vader being the father of Luke, Leia AND C3PO is a huge stretch.

The only characters that DIDN'T get tossed into the main-character-salad of the prequels?  Han and Lando.  EVERY other character got tossed into the mix.

So Chewbacca was actually a Rebel who knew Yoda?  Boba Fett had a grudge against Obi-Wan because Obi-Wan killed his father (sorta)? R2-D2 was some kind of Space Forrest Gump, who attended EVERY major event in Star Wars history?

Lucas felt the need to shoehorn an origin story for EVERY SINGLE Original Trilogy character into those prequels.  Who cares about plot, we need to sell action figures!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Vader stops Fett from shooting Chewbacca's back, which incidentally would have been 3P0 being shot instead:
my son
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my son

Didn't obi say "hello old friend " or something to R2D2 ....off to look.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey.  I'm going to click and read threads about subjects I'm not interested in.  

Then, I'm going to read the thread about a subject I'm not interested in.  

Then(watch this),  I'm going to post in that thread that I'm not interested in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Vader tried to kill his own son, I don't think he's the sentimental type.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Probably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

Nope.  A guy I work with has never seen them either.

He doesn't have the patience to sit and watch a whole movie. Any movie.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Obi Wan lied to Luke about all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

my son
View Quote

This. Watch empire again. Vader prevents fett from shooting Chewie because he didn't want 3po to get hit. Sounds crazy but its one of the subtle hints about vader coming back. Of course we never knew this until TPM came out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/R1dGS.jpg

View Quote

Wow, that's really interesting.
Canon, not 'cannon'
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#29]
That uncanny FPNI...
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Some of the biggest reasons I totally disregard the Prequels as Canon:

The aforementioned problems with R2 and 3P0.

How everyone thinks Jedis and Force are some ancient thing that probably never actually happened.  Even though it was a mere 16 years ago and there were tons of Jedi running around.

Midichlorians.

I never saw Ep III cause the 1st two were so horrible.  They messed up Anakin so bad, I really didn't want to see Vader's 'birth' through that series of films.

To me, Rogue One is the only true prequel now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/R1dGS.jpg

View Quote

There is no good in Darth at this point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

my son
View Quote

Or he didn't want chewy killed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
C-3PO did not know anything about Anakin Skywalker or Darth Vader or the twins because Captain Antilles was ordered by Senator Organa to, and I quote. " I'm placing these droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the Protocol Droid's mind wiped."

Now ask yourself why wasn't R2's memory wiped as well?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
George Lucas doesn't understand the concept of retcon, or how writing one movie that eventually became a dozen prequels and sequels can cause continuity issues.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. You would indeed be the only person from here to the ice world of Hoth and back, who has never seen a single SW movie, 
which is why I think you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Another theory:

C3PO reminded him of his mother, so rather than say "hey, is that the old droid that I built and gave to mom" he represses the thought to avoid uncomfortable feelings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

In The Phantom Menace, 3P0 was a unique one of a kind home built droid (supposedly) but when you saw the inside of the Deathstaer in a new hope there were hundreds of them. Perhaps Vader thought it was just one of the thousands that were copied.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Obi Wan lied to Luke about all kinds of a great many things.
View Quote

Let's get with the program
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#39]
ben kenobi said he never owned any droids - he called r2 his old friend.

c3po is the glock 19 of the star wars universe you seen one you've seen them all just another soul-less tool.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In The Phantom Menace, 3P0 was a unique one of a kind home built droid (supposedly) but when you saw the inside of the Deathstaer in a new hope there were hundreds of them. Perhaps Vader thought it was just one of the thousands that were copied.
View Quote

On the DS. I saw Death Star droids (humanoid type), but C3PO saw another but rude protocol droid on Cloud City just before the Storm Troopers blasted him into pieces.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Home built hack job does not mean one of kind.

AR15 anyone?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#42]
They all look the same and there is little or no variation in their names. There are probably a million Droids with the name R2D2 as only the last two digits in the name vary for the R2 model
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

my son
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my son

Huh.  I never looked at it that way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Wel they seem to have forgooten about an 'ancient religion' that controlled everything and was massacared 30 years ago
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Lucas made that shit up along the way.  The Secret History of Star Wars proves it.  

Ignore the prequals.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Remember that the original Star Wars release was meant to stand on its own as Lucas wasn't sure how it would be accepted. After he saw how successful it was, he reworked part of it.

Yeah, Han DID shoot first!

Original opening:
Star Wars (1977) original opening crawl

Reworked opening:
Star Wars: A New Hope Opening Crawl in 4K [2.35:1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that toaster saved my life a few times? sure
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my son

Because he didn't want to piss off Chewie's good buudy, Yoda.

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I figure there are tons of droids and protocol droids around. I'm sure they all look similar. Like seeing a Honda parked on the street.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. There are stil plenty of Communists out there
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top