Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 11:31:06 AM EDT
I bought a Raven Fiberglass Canopy for $150 for my '06 F-250. It is gold and pretty scratched up (guy that I bought it from stored it on its side and admitted that he just dragged it across some rocks in his yard to move it). The glass is good shape, but the trim around it is pretty faded and the rivets rusted.

I got a quote for $600 to paint it to match, bringing the total invested to $750.

It seems the cheapest new shells are about $1200.

What would you guys do? Have this one painted? Or just spring for a new one?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought a Raven Fiberglass Canopy for $150 for my '06 F-250. It is gold and pretty scratched up (guy that I bought it from stored it on its side and admitted that he just dragged it across some rocks in his yard to move it). The glass is good shape, but the trim around it is pretty faded and the rivets rusted.

I got a quote for $600 to paint it to match, bringing the total invested to $750.

It seems the cheapest new shells are about $1200.

What would you guys do? Have this one painted? Or just spring for a new one?
View Quote

If you like the way it fits and looks on your truck, have it color matched.
Unless your $600 quote was from Macco or Earl Scheib.

FWIW, the expensive shells can get upwards of $2,000 once they are optioned out. Have owned several but they have always come with trucks I bought. Just bought my first one a couple of years ago...Ouch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's in good shape then I would go ahead and have it professionally prepped and painted.
The new ones are expensive (the Snugtop I bought 16 years ago cost me $1500 new).
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
get another quote?  worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just paint it unless he truck was brand new.  

Some Carquest stores can take a picture of your paint and make color matched spray cans for you.  It won't be perfect but on an 11 year old truck it will probably look OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top