Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Too bad they haven't figured out how to store the excess for future drought conditions.
View Quote

What do you think they're storing behind that dam.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Without the powerhouse working, they won't be able to drop it very far.
View Quote

That's a good point, what's the elevation of the bottom of primary spillway gates?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the power house flooded?
Thought I read that here yesterday?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only coverage other than ARFCOM was a little snippet on the Weather Channel.
View Quote
my parents just told me that Rachel Maddow had a segment on this "at least a couple nights ago". must have pretty long, my mom said she kinda goes on and on sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Without the powerhouse working, they won't be able to drop it very far.
View Quote

I think the spillway gate elev is 833.  They could theoretically drop it almost 70' from where it is now.

That is a lot of H20
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
https://youtu.be/BVyP472et3A

Up to date video.

Lake Oroville, Oroville Dam Emergency Spillway Overflow
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Trucks loaded, grabbing food.
View Quote
Are you hiking to your vantage point or on a sideXside?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a good point, what's the elevation of the bottom of primary spillway gates?
View Quote
Looking back on the lake elevation, inflow/outflow data table, they were releasing out of the primary spillway @ lake elevation 850', so they technically could drop the lake at least 50' or more with the use of the spillway.  Problem is that to drop the lake by any appreciable amount before the next storm comes in, they'd have to flow record amounts of water down the now damaged spillway.

Looks like we're in the clear for now, will be interesting to see how much storage they're able to generate in the next few days, and how bad the next storm really turns out to be.  We may end up seeing several feet of water going over the E-spillway yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good.
Now Trump can tell Moonbeam to get fucked, and has hard data to support it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
inflow dropped way down from 52637 to 40999

Good.
Now Trump can tell Moonbeam to get fucked, and has hard data to support it
I agree he should tell Moonbeam to get fucked, but the emergency aid request was for 34 counties that have flood damage, not for the damn dam damage as far as I could find.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the road may have finally washed out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

811, they can go down further than I thought.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the road may have finally washed out.
View Quote

it's still there in the video you posted
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the spillway diagrams posted 1-2 pages back are right and I'm reading them right... looks like 811 feet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Excellent.  Thank you.  These drawings confirm e-spill constructed on bedrock an no backfill at parking lot or behind main span of e-spill.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
parts are... but the part that had the huge pool of water build up behind it I think is gone.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if DWR is flying drones and wants to prohibit private drones then they should release footage. Often.
View Quote

They will govern or not in the way they see fit.  You will pay taxes and shut up.

I do not like it either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
another video from the restricted area directly across from where the E spillway water enters the river.

https://youtu.be/_60JYhIEzUc

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]

What was that that was hung up on the left side of the e spillway?
A boat maybe?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They will govern or not in the way they see fit.  You will pay taxes and shut up.

I do not like it either.
View Quote

Then again, given the remote location, rough terrain, limited access, and the fact a Mavic Pro has a range of about 6 miles and 21 minutes flight time (plus 5 min. reserve), using autopilot to have it autonomously fly a path and the return to a hard to discover location, not much they can do about it anyway, lol.

Piss on the gov idiots!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A boat maybe?
View Quote

It's the fence to keep people from walking out onto the spillway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
another video from the restricted area directly across from where the E spillway water enters the river.

https://youtu.be/_60JYhIEzUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_60JYhIEzUc
View Quote

Far less soil color in the e-runoff. Seems it's getting close to bedrock for the channel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
... awesome footage! I'm guessing that wasn't the drone that allegedly got shot down yesterday
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
So, flood-control capability seems to be gone or severely constrained.  All they have is spillway flow diddling that to my inexpert eye seems like it will be quickly erased/overmatched by the next surge or water in "a couple" days?

What does that mean in terms of flooding downstream as the storms and spring melt pass over that structure?  Is there enough information that someone can take the estimated volume of water to come down and timeplot that through computer magic onto a flood map?  Kinda curious; people seem to be starting to look through this current flow toward the next one and its consequences.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A boat maybe?

O ok. Was wondering what was disrupting the flow there.
When our small neighborhood lake flooded a couple boats untied and went over the spillway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A boat maybe?
View Quote
Not a boat...

But it does seem there's some sort of abnormality in the weir face there causing the water to be redirected up and out a little bit.  Could be a chink in the concrete.  It isn't a good thing whatever it is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Crater Lake maximum depth is 1946'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seneca lake is one of the deepest natural lakes in the US at a little over 600'. 

I think that Lake Tahoe is the largest Alpine lake (natural) in the world and is 1644' deep...

Well you both beat us, Lake Chelan is only 1486'
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, flood-control capability seems to be gone or severely constrained.  All they have is spillway flow diddling that to my inexpert eye seems like it will be quickly erased/overmatched by the next surge or water in "a couple" days?

What does that mean in terms of flooding downstream as the storms and spring melt pass over that structure?  Is there enough information that someone can take the estimated volume of water to come down and timeplot that through computer magic onto a flood map?  Kinda curious; people seem to be starting to look through this current flow toward the next one and its consequences.
View Quote

Yes.

They have their top men working on it.

Their TOP MEN.

ETA,
After watching their presser on Periscope yesterday, I feel fortunate that they work far, far away from my watershed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]

There are a couple visible irregularities in the flow over the weir, but I don't think it's enough to say the wall itself is being compromised. So, good-ish news so far.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seneca lake is one of the deepest natural lakes in the US at a little over 600'. 

I think that Lake Tahoe is the largest Alpine lake (natural) in the world and is 1644' deep...

Funny thing about the volcanic lakes without natural outlets, the fish can contain high levels of mercury from volcanic activity. Shouldn't keep the bigger ones, or even eat too much of any of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not a boat...

But it does seem there's some sort of abnormality in the weir face there causing the water to be redirected up and out a little bit.  Could be a chink in the concrete.  It isn't a good thing whatever it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A boat maybe?
Not a boat...

Are you guys talking about the fence?

Google Street View
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#33]
as of 10
902.32  down from 902.39
Outflow from regular spillway 54983 cfs
Inflow 36319 cfs
Riv Rel (whatever that is?) 65884
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Google Street View
View Quote

Yup. I saw that yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]
updated from this morning, this is off a local snow forecasters site
snow levels do look lower this storm but we will see, they were forecasted originally lower on this last storm then rose up right before it hit

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Google Street View
View Quote
Could be that.  A little hard to tell... I would think the fence would be a little further left so as not to be on the weir face... but it definitely could be that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They won't stop spilling out the primary for long...they really need the storage to be able to smooth out any inflow spikes that may happen this week. 

If you look at the p spillway damage it has migrated significantly uphill toward the gates.  They will stop the flow to eyeball that when they can. Drones will be used. That erosion is the driving factor going forward and they need real facts to make good decisions about what spillway to use. 

They survived round 1. Once they get a little storage space they will evaluate and make a plan for the coming weeks.  They need that power plant so clearing the channel and setting up new transmission lines will be a priority. 

Still if a major melt/rainfall event happens they are pretty screwed. No storage means it's just a wide spot in the river now. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inflow is down to 41k, the emergency spillway will be dry by tomorrow, if not late today.

Seems it did its job well.

I'm looking forward to the before/after pictures when both spillways are dry.
They won't stop spilling out the primary for long...they really need the storage to be able to smooth out any inflow spikes that may happen this week. 

If you look at the p spillway damage it has migrated significantly uphill toward the gates.  They will stop the flow to eyeball that when they can. Drones will be used. That erosion is the driving factor going forward and they need real facts to make good decisions about what spillway to use. 

They survived round 1. Once they get a little storage space they will evaluate and make a plan for the coming weeks.  They need that power plant so clearing the channel and setting up new transmission lines will be a priority. 

Still if a major melt/rainfall event happens they are pretty screwed. No storage means it's just a wide spot in the river now. 
6 to 10 day NOAA forecast.  This won't last long...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I just talked my way past the roadblock and will be starting the hike in about five minutes.

!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just talked my way past the roadblock and will be starting the hike in about five minutes.

!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Alrighty Then...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
as of 10
Riv Rel (whatever that is?) 65884
View Quote

I'm curious about that too now. It increased yesterday coincident to the scheduled release increase, yet it's not tied to the main spillway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

!
View Quote

Good luck man, we're all pulling for you!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Could be that.  A little hard to tell... I would think the fence would be a little further left so as not to be on the weir face... but it definitely could be that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Street View

It looks like the right spot, the pole in the Google picture is on the transition between the parabolic weir and the sill.  There was probably some topsoil there before, so it wasn't as big of a drop as it is now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

!
View Quote

ETA till you start live feed?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

!
View Quote

Good shit man!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did a screen grab from the video.

And here's my thinking on where the road is... and is no longer...

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA till you start live feed?
View Quote

I would have liked a live feed of the roadblock encounter!

"Excuse me officer, I'm the official reporter for arfcom and I require access."

Officer,

"Oh yes! I recognize you now! You are a folk hero, of course you may pass! Have a great day!"
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seriously ProFryan, Thank you for your time, money and effort for keeping us abreast on the dam. I've been following along since the beginning and your hard work made this the best thread for natural disasters.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would have liked a live feed of the roadblock encounter!

View Quote

op has good negotiation skills
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

op has good negotiation skills
View Quote

And a copious supply of cold beer and snack. Was bribery an option?
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top