Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 7:42:58 AM EDT
I've been shopping around for a defensive revolver in .357 lately. I don't want a 44mag because Obama was the 44th President so .357 it will be. Anyway, I've noticed S&W has a ton of different model numbers for revolvers that (to my uninitiated eye) all look the same. Why is this? Makes it hard to determine value. Tonight I missed out on a stainless "66-2" for $500. I think that was a good deal via GB research. The other night I missed a Ruger GP100 stainless for $500.

I'm open to either Ruger or Smith, but the Smiths have so many different model numbers I can hardly keep track. Which ones should I focus on and which ones should I avoid, if any?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Wheel guns have a lot of model numbers?  I'm guessing you never looked into 2nd/3rd gens.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The dash numbers on smith and Wesson revolvers are engineering changes .lower is usually better . They are the same basic gun .kind of like a 65 Mustang is a relative of a 1971 Mustang.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have owned a lot of S&W revolvers but my favorite 357 is the 686.  The GP100 is no slouch either and I have owned a half dozen or so.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Holy shit. Well, I've never looked into their semi-autos aside from the M&P series.

Those are handy charts, though. Why isn't the 686 on there? Also, what's up with the "dash" and "no dash" variations I've seen referenced?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Holy shit. Well, I've never looked into their semi-autos aside from the M&P series.

Those are handy charts, though. Why isn't the 686 on there? Also, what's up with the "dash" and "no dash" variations I've seen referenced?
View Quote
L frame, full lug, look the orange chart.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
L frame, full lug, look the orange chart.
View Quote

See it now. Stupid phone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Every major variation gets its own model designation. There's lots of variations so lots of models. Frame size, frame material, caliber, stainless, blue, fixed sights, adjustable sights -- each has its own number. Barrel lengths do not warrant a model number. Neither does square vs. round butt. The dash thing just reflects engineering changes to the same basic model.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Ruger GP100 in 4"stainless.  .44mags are great. Do not let stupid numbers push
you from a .44mag Redhawk. FBHO with a rusty flag pole.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got an old 28-2 Highway Patrolman that I keep for a nightstand gun. I think it was a Texas DPS trade many years ago. So long ago that if I remember correctly, it cost $85. Bluing is almost completely gone, but it still functions reliably and the trigger is smooth as glass. Thanks to the Trooper who carried it for years and made it what it is today. If you can find one of those, you'll have something that will still last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Because they have that many different models
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
You think the revolvers are bad, you should have seen the 3rd gen autos.  They had a code wheel to figure that out.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got an old 28-2 Highway Patrolman that I keep for a nightstand gun. I think it was a Texas DPS trade many years ago. So long ago that if I remember correctly, it cost $85. Bluing is almost completely gone, but it still functions reliably and the trigger is smooth as glass. Thanks to the Trooper who carried it for years and made it what it is today. If you can find one of those, you'll have something that will still last a lifetime.
View Quote
I have a New York State Police trade-in. Marked NYSP.  It's a hell of a good shooter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W has about 87,000 different model numbers for their revolvers. 87% of them are completely identical .357 6-shot double actions.  They have that many models to screw over dumb bubbas who think they need to own every single one. "This one has fixed sights and that one has adjustable." But you can go to MidwayUSA and buy a set of adjustable sights for like $50.  But nope, Bubba has to spend $1,200 on another revolver with about $12 of steel in it and about $200 worth of labor and shipping. S&W are truly business geniuses for figuring this out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the first things to figure out is the coding between blued guns versus plated guns versus stainless guns.

On the revolvers Blued and Nickel are usually the guns with coatings, model 29 for instance be it blued or nickel.   629 being stainless.

Then like somebody else said, the numbers after the dash are revisions.   -2 and lower usually means pinned & recessed on magnums.     There are LOTS of models out there as well as non-model variations for the pre-50s guns like the Target Models for 1950s(tapered barrel like Mountain Gun) and 1955 Bull Barrel(like any current non-Mountain Gun 44mag or 45LC).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
S&W has about 87,000 different model numbers for their revolvers. 87% of them are completely identical .357 6-shot double actions.  They have that many models to screw over dumb bubbas who think they need to own every single one. "This one has fixed sights and that one has adjustable." But you can go to MidwayUSA and buy a set of adjustable sights for like $50.  But nope, Bubba has to spend $1,200 on another revolver with about $12 of steel in it and about $200 worth of labor and shipping. S&W are truly business geniuses for figuring this out.
View Quote

And you'll have a fixed sight revolver and a new sight in a package. To INSTALL that sight on the gun would require a gunsmith to mill the top of the gun and rig up some sort of new front sight.

They don't assign model numbers to sell guns. They assign model numbers to distinguish between different guns.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
You think S&W uses lots of numbers? Try shopping for parts for a Briggs & Straton 5HP engine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top