Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Very sad all the way around.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought FAA mandates drug screening for pilots?
View Quote
They do, for opiates, marijuana, and barbiturates. But that's about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for some enterprising cartel to introduce sufentanil and up the ante.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fentanyl is 100 times more powerful than morphine. It hits hard.
I'm waiting for some enterprising cartel to introduce sufentanil and up the ante.
You must have missed the news articles last summer saying they were using carfentanil.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ironically schedule 2, which means the feds think it is less bad for you than pot.....

Edit.  Cancer patients seem to think pot helps their situation....so same use as fentanyl (reduces suffering)
View Quote
lol, what? Schedule 1 is No Known Medical Use. Fentanyl has a known medical use, so....

I mean really. Try reading about a subject for a minute before spouting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Years back a buddy of mine needed some brush up training and a checkout in a multi twin. I rode along with him and the instructor, who was Brian. He'd just gotten hired at Spirit and seemed like a pretty squared away guy. I wonder what went wrong.

Those poor kids. Damn.
View Quote
Wow.....small world
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I've pulled patches out of people's mouths, removed 'too many' patches from Grandma in the nursing home, because the nurse didn't take the old one off, etc.

For those who say 'why does such a thing exist?' I hope no one you ever care about has cancer. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Both.  For my surgeries, they shot it into my IV.  It made me laugh uncontrollably.
View Quote
Or patch form like the nicotine patches
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Fentanyl is killing a lot of people.

People get addicted to pain pills, loose the prescription and buy pills from the street. Street pulls cost too much so they hit heroin. Dealers mix fentanyl with heroin to get a better high but people OD a lot because of it. NARCAN doesn't work as well on fentanyl as it did on heroin so now everyone has to buy the new and improved NARCAN.

NARCAN is a money grabbing racket.....my rant to the story.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
1lbs of Fentanyl spread in the atmosphere over a city would kill an estimated 250,000 people. This stuff is dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People get addicted to pain pills, loose the prescription and buy pills from the street. Street pulls cost too much so they hit heroin. Dealers mix fentanyl with heroin to get a better high but people OD a lot because of it. NARCAN doesn't work as well on fentanyl as it did on heroin so now everyone has to buy the new and improved NARCAN.
View Quote
Then they die doing what they love. Limit access to NARCAN, make it clear LEOs don't carry it, clean up the mess.

There are junkies that quit because they realize that they are the last person in their social circle who is still alive. That is the effect that we as a society should be encouraging, not that you can lead a consequence free existence and first responders will come save you when you OD for the 17th time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've pulled patches out of people's mouths, removed 'too many' patches from Grandma in the nursing home, because the nurse didn't take the old one off, etc.

For those who say 'why does such a thing exist?' I hope no one you ever care about has cancer. 
View Quote
There are much better drugs for cancer--or literally any other issue--than Fentanyl, such as Oxymorphone/Dilaudid/Opana. Fentanyl should be used in a hospital setting only, and never sent home with a patient IMO. There should be no patches; the patches are evil shit. No person should be on daily Fentanyl. It's short duration I believe is the reason that it produces a more rapid and severe dependence. Even if you were on your death bed and bed had to wean off of it, Opana would be a far more compassionate drug because it produces clean and powerful pain relief.

I believe the reason anesthesiologists use Fentanyl is because it is short acting and because it helps with sedation and amnesia better than other opiates. Patients don't take opiates at home for sedation or amnesia, they want pain relief.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought FAA mandates drug screening for pilots?
View Quote
Doesn't matter, synthetic opiods aren't generally tested for, and are undetectable in a day room two.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Terrible for the kids.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Parents just messed up their kids
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure it has a use since my mom in her last days was on Fentanyl patches and while she was kind of out of it (at 94) it did keep her pain free.  There was not much wrong with her other than she was scared and in pain and her body was shutting down but taking it's own sweet time.  So I'm a fan.  If I get to that point slap a patch on me too.  Keep it in the system but use it where appropriate.

I don't really give a shit about the folks using it for fun but that sure is messed up for the kids.  Kind of the same old saw about "This is why you can't have nice things."
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 This is what happens when you outlaw Marijuana...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 This is what happens when you outlaw Marijuana...
But we have to protect the kids from Satans tobacki.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
sad I wonder if they got hooked through an opiate prescription.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
If everyone thinks fentynal is bad, get ready cause we're starting to see this:

Carfentanil or carfentanyl (also known as 4-carbomethoxyfentanyl) is an analog of the synthetic opioid analgesic fentanyl. It is 10,000 times more potent than morphine, making it among the most potent commercially used opioids.[1] Carfentanil was first synthesized in 1974 by a team of chemists at Janssen Pharmaceutica which included Paul Janssen.[2] It is marketed under the trade name Wildnil as a general anaesthetic agent for large animals, such as elephants.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOL. Prescription.

Most likely they were opiate addicts, probably pills, who switched to heroin/fentanyl as an easier-to-get replacement.

Mexican cartels are bringing that shit in by the boatload.  As another poster mentioned, dealers are cutting their shitty heroin with it to up the potency.
View Quote
Cartels aren't the main culprits. The shit comes in by the boatload through NYC and other major ports from AFG, typically makes its way through Russia, before jumping on a cargo ship to the states. Poppy does not grow that well in central America, unlike Coca.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are better than us. They embrace diversity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On an unrelated note, why did they mention it was a "blended" family? What does that have to do with anything?
They are better than us. They embrace diversity.
Huh?  A "blended" family is a single father with kids who gets together with a single mother with kids. It has nothing to do with race...but reading is for faggots.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Slightly worse than marijuana
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cartels aren't the main culprits. The shit comes in by the boatload through NYC and other major ports from AFG, typically makes its way through Russia, before jumping on a cargo ship to the states. Poppy does not grow that well in central America, unlike Coca.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Prescription.

Most likely they were opiate addicts, probably pills, who switched to heroin/fentanyl as an easier-to-get replacement.

Mexican cartels are bringing that shit in by the boatload.  As another poster mentioned, dealers are cutting their shitty heroin with it to up the potency.

It's the opposite:  Opium poppies can be grown virtually anywhere, whereas Coca is more limited.  Opium poppies have a long taproot (for an annual) which is why they can get by with very little precipitation.  This is one of the reasons it's grown in Afghanistan since it requires far less water and fertilizer than, say, corn.  Very little of the Afghan Heroin makes it to the U.S.  Most comes from Mexico and Columbia.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was mostly from Afghanistan but that has changed.

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]
The future impact of this on the kids?! Probably detrimental.

The Ruskies killed some Chechen muzzy knuckleheads & some the hostages that they where holding with Fentanyl gas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Pharms are touted as a medicine yet how many do they kill a year. It's over 50000
Aside from suicides associated with them. Some of these
Pills and patches are 100% more addictive than stinky nasty pot and much easier to consume. Theyre not only mentally addicting but physically as well. And unlike pot they will absolutely destroy your life.

I don't know the answer to the drug problem but the US keeping marijuana a schedule 1 substance after all these other legal and potentially horrible drugs are doing real damage to people and families. this is seen as less dangers to pot
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are much better drugs for cancer--or literally any other issue--than Fentanyl, such as Oxymorphone/Dilaudid/Opana. Fentanyl should be used in a hospital setting only, and never sent home with a patient IMO. There should be no patches; the patches are evil shit. No person should be on daily Fentanyl. It's short duration I believe is the reason that it produces a more rapid and severe dependence. Even if you were on your death bed and bed had to wean off of it, Opana would be a far more compassionate drug because it produces clean and powerful pain relief.

I believe the reason anesthesiologists use Fentanyl is because it is short acting and because it helps with sedation and amnesia better than other opiates. Patients don't take opiates at home for sedation or amnesia, they want pain relief.
View Quote
Fentanyl patches are timed release medication, typically 48-72 hours.  Dilaudid, at least in a pill form is quick acting and shorter duration. Bone cancer is a unique pain that requires a unique pain killer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They probably did, but Fentanyl does come in pill form, legal or illegal manufacture.  First pass is usually not desirable for drug users because the high isn't as fast or as good, but if that's all they can get, they get it.

Legal Fentanyl tablet

These killed a bunch of people in the beginning...
Illegal Fentanyl pills
View Quote
The fentanyl "tablet" is a dissolvable lozenge that is absorbed by the oral mucosa.  Swallowed tablets don't work due to first pass metabolism of the drug.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Darwin in action - it's not just for poors.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

These people would lick out the inside of a septic tank if it had narcotics in it.
View Quote
At NNMC the anesthesiologists would waste leftover narcotic by squirting the syringes out into the large sharps container before tossing the syringe in.   That was their common practice until they caught a corpsman draining out the liquid at the bottom of the bin and shooting it up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For those asking. Fentanyl is often mixed in with heroin to give the illusion of a stronger product. It gives a strong powerful high, is cheap as fuck, but the high doesn't last as long as heroin.

Dealers will even mix hot batches, adding fentanyl to intentionally cause an overdose because the junkies hear about it and want to buy the product that caused an OD.

And the ever popular photo. Fatal dose of heroin next to one for fentanyl:

http://i.imgur.com/aLXGReO.jpg?1
View Quote
Holy cow, the dose is the danger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've seen a hypodermic needle lying in the road in the next town over and it's a sleepy, upscale place.  No neighborhood is immune.  I hope this shit is a thing of the past before my kids come of age but I'm not counting on it being any better for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bullshit. Several times within the past few years I've been given news that people I knew growing up fatally od'd on heroin/opiates. These were suburban kids from normal upper/middle-class families. That shit is everywhere now.
I've seen a hypodermic needle lying in the road in the next town over and it's a sleepy, upscale place.  No neighborhood is immune.  I hope this shit is a thing of the past before my kids come of age but I'm not counting on it being any better for them.
To be fair that could be from anything, not necessarily smack.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Fentynal didn't claim anything.

Just an observation......
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
At NNMC the anesthesiologists would waste leftover narcotic by squirting the syringes out into the large sharps container before tossing the syringe in.   That was their common practice until they caught a corpsman draining out the liquid at the bottom of the bin and shooting it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These people would lick out the inside of a septic tank if it had narcotics in it.
Damn, that's really kind of gross in addition to the danger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Six years ago I awoke at 03:00. I had a burning pain in my heel. I go off to the ER to see what was wrong.  I had a heel spur and the Doctor wanted to prescribe Percocet for my pain.  I explained that opiates do not relieve my pain.  She suggested I get a cortisone shot the next day from my Primary Care Doctor.  I looked at her badge and told her she was an MD and to draw a cortisone shot up and get with it.

She did not give me cortisone.  She did however write a script for Percocet. I was livid.  I made the nurse show me that he shredded the damn script.

I reported her to my Primary Care Physician  and the DEA.  

This is how prescription drugs "leak" out of the normal channels. I could have made a house payment with the prescription she wrote were I a shit stain.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've had patients in the hospital chew their patches.

We usually find the masticated remains in their mouth when we are intubating them during the code
View Quote
My son had a script for Lidocaine patches. His junkie neighbor thought they were fentnyl patches and stole one.  

Much hilarity ensued when he saw the guy chewing on it and his head went numb.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Title is wrong. fentanyl did not claim life of family. Who ever gave it did. Weather it was the husband, wife or both. It was a murder, suicide.  Thats like saying a gun claimed another life and not the one that pulled the trigger.

I am a Fire Rescue Firefighter/Paramedic I administer fentanyl often by IV as stated above it is 100 times stronger than morphine. You must monitor the patients breathing while giving it. fentanyl can cause the patient to go into respatory arrest if give to much at once or it just happens sometimes.  It is give in mics/weight dose.

That said fentanyl is great to use because it has far less side effects than morphine on patients and as long as you monitor that patient it is safe to give and use for pain. My wife was in a car accident once and I got the call. She was in alot of pain. I used fentanyl on her and gave it to her tillmher pain level was bearable.

In my time on the job there has been though one I know for sure and maybe another Firefighter/Paramedic that took fentanyl off duty that they stole. The way they got it. Once a vial is opened it has to be desposed of in front of a witness like a nurse. What they did was draw it out of vial and replace it with saline and threw that away.

Was it suicide or just stupidity who knows. Either way they went unconscious and stopped breathing and died from taking to much at once.  Narcan can reverse the effects of fentanyl.

But it's like any other pain med it has it's applications. I'm an absolute believer in the use of these drugs for chronic pain after all other resources have been tried. There is absolutely no reason someone should be in so much pain that they cannot function when there are drugs that can help with that pain.

Sure there will be people that abuse medication. People will abuse everything. Just like criminals abuse guns and the laws. So should everyone suffer because of these idiots. NO......yes they are addictive. But if you take them it is up to you to communicate with your doctor while on them instead of letting them control. I did and never had a problem with them.

Now it it chronic pain that you will be in for the rest of your life. Who cares if you get addicted to you the medication. As long as you take as prescribed. Which I have seen patients do. They wete able to function 100% better on the medication and deal with the pain they live with on a daily basis. Chronic oain is not funny it will ruin your life and in some cases has caused people to take their life. I've seen it.

I've had 4 back operations, total knee replacement and elbow surgery. I've been in so much pain I'd done anything to make it stop and no amount of therapy would have helped.  I'm doing great and never had a problem while taking them because I did exactly what I was suppose to do then stopped. Some pain is good it lets you know when your over doing it and you might be re injury yourself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fentanyl is an opiate, like morphine. Hits faster and much harder but goes away faster.
It is used in the operating room by anesthesia mostly. Cancer patients also receive it in various forms (patches, etc.)
In the ICU it is used as an infusion for critically ill patients.
View Quote
I had fentanyl during my last colonoscopy.  It worked great and it was the first time (this was colonoscopy  #3) I was alert and remembered everything that the doctor told me after it was over.   The time before this when I came to my senses I was already dressed and standing in the recovery area.  No more half day of winking in and out etc.  No "hangover" whatsoever.  I could have driven myself home if I had to.  It is a great drug when used properly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had fentanyl during my last colonoscopy.  It worked great and it was the first time (this was colonoscopy  #3) I was alert and remembered everything that the doctor told me after it was over.   The time before this when I came to my senses I was already dressed and standing in the recovery area.  No more half day of winking in and out etc.  No "hangover" whatsoever.  I could have driven myself home if I had to.  It is a great drug when used properly.
View Quote
Yet some people think it should be completely banned because of a few idiots

Sound familiar? Just like liberals and their view on guns.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yet some people think it should be completely banned because of a few idiots

Sound familiar? Just like liberals and their view on guns.....
View Quote
They gave me a shot of that when coming out of surgery that was pretty invasive.

Killed the pain for hours.  No doubt good for that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Fentanyl is a life-saver for post op back surgery.  It's a wonderful tool to have in a physician's arsenal. Like anything else powerful, it must be handled carefully and can be abused.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#42]
those poor kiddos. that image is going to be burned in their minds for as long as they live. i hope they have some good family to step in and care for them
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn that's rough for the kids.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol, what? Schedule 1 is No Known Medical Use. Fentanyl has a known medical use, so....

I mean really. Try reading about a subject for a minute before spouting.
View Quote
I know what it means.  Real world use by real people says mj has real world medical use....stimulating apatite for cancer patients, pain relief, and cbd helps epileptics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Damn that's rough for the kids.
View Quote
It has probably been very rough for them for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn, this happened right up the road from me. I thought Chillicothe was supposed to be the bad area? Centerville is actually a nice area. Just ate some City BBQ there last weekend.
View Quote
It's all over the place.

Portsmouth/Scioto County is supposed to have the worst problem in the state with it, but it's plenty bad all over.

Some morons my brother went to school with got some Heron laced with fentanyl from a guy in Toledo. Every single one of them OD'd on the street in front of the place. A couple of them nearly couldn't be revived.

You know where they wanted to go the very next day? Yep. To get the same shit. They're all lucky to be alive. Probably won't be for much longer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Farr too many people take pain medication. There's a whole section in Walmart and drug stores devoted towards these products. Sadly this trek down addiction can even begin with Tylenol.

Non-opioid medications affect plasma beta-endorphin levels through unknown mechanisms. In a study of osteoarthritis of the knee, both acetaminophen and rofecoxib (a COX-2 inhibitor) were administered to patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis. Rofecoxib produced significantly better analgesia than acetaminophen, reducing pain intensity by 56% and 29%, respectively. However, plasma beta-endorphin levels were unaffected in the rofecoxib group but declined significantly in the acetaminophen group,27 suggesting either rofecoxib supports beta-endorphin synthesis, durability or both or acetaminophen inhibits it.
View Quote
Beta-endorphins aren't just for pain.

Beta-endorphins are neuropeptides involved in pain management, possessing morphine like effects, and are involved in natural reward circuits such as feeding, drinking, sex and maternal behavior.
View Quote
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3104618/
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If they either smoked a fentanyl patch in a joint (it happens in the real world), or they experimentally injected an IV dose of fentanyl the equivalent volume to an IV morphine dose, the end result was predictable.

eta: now that cartels and other low life folks have learned to manufacture fentanyl, it is just as likely that the lack of standardized or metered dosing of street fentanyl was responsible for their demise.  If you don't know how much narc you're really injecting/ingesting you're playing roulette with more than one bullet in the gun.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top