Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I sure as hope so... #NotMyMarineCorps
View Quote

No shit bro.

Also, don't think of it as "cold blooded."  They were tried, convicted and sentenced via due process.  Think of it as "revenge." Professional Vengance, Inc. We fry the bad guy.
 Since the family can't extract vengance, the professionals or volunteers do them a solid and send those rabid, sub human scumbags to an eternal Hell.  ZFG.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I am for the death penalty in principle but against it in practice. Here's why:

Documented cases of innocent people being executed.
Executions cost more than keeping somebody in prison for life.
The death sentence not being applied equally across all demographics.
I think life in prison without parol is a harsher sentence then death.

Flame away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Flame away.
View Quote
I'd like for you to back this statement up. Because 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd like for you to back this statement up. Because 
View Quote
Sure, try any of the first 20 results from a Google search. Here's one:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29552692/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/execute-or-not-question-cost/

It has to do with the costs of a death penalty trial and subsequent appeals. Any more questions?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sure, try any of the first 20 results from a Google search. Here's one:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29552692/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/execute-or-not-question-cost/

It has to do with the costs of a death penalty trial and subsequent appeals. Any more questions?
View Quote
Well that article references California. And don't "Google search" me, you made the claim.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
This is dumb. We shouldn't kill criminals? Ok buddy we'll put them in a building next to your house.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that article references California. And don't "Google search" me, you made the claim.
View Quote
I wish it was as simple as getting a guilty verdict and then walking them outside to be shot. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that death penalty cases are very expensive, and then there are decades of appeals. At the end of the day, it is cheaper to just lock them in a cell and throw away the key.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can kill People who are helpless in cold blood, no matter how much that person deserves it,  and sleep fine at night, you probably belong on the chair, and not the one flipping the switch.

Double edit, fuck autospell on a phone.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. The internet badass brigade disagrees though. They'll be along to explain in detail how they would torture and kill people.
View Quote
Save your sympathy for the victims and their families.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, I bet they're real fucking concerned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, I bet they're real fucking concerned.
Trying to make it about something other than justice being served.
The C/O's likely don't give a shit and want those fuckers gone as bad as we do.
God knows what they have to go through and put up with from those predatory assholes.

Quoted:

Flame away.
So; we should stop locking up people or punishing people at all, I guess, right?  Because anti-death penalty people say that life imprisonment is far worse than being executed.  So you're down for something by your own argument is crueler than death?

Executions cost that much because we ALLOW it to cost that much.

You think death by old age is harsher than being executed?  Dude...on what planet do you reside?   Reading books, taking advantage of prison amenities like cable TV, canteen services, etc, prison programs,
plus of course, the ability to keep on killing inside of prison (staff members, correctional officers, medical staff, other prisoners, etc.), the possibility of escape from prison and while escaped, killing and raping/robbing, etc.
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can kill People who are helpless in cold blood, no matter how much that person deserves it,  and sleep fine at night, you probably belong on the chair, and not the one flipping the switch.

View Quote
Where in the fuck did you come from? DU out early today?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A half decent vet kills what, maybe 5 animals a week?  Cute fuzzy ones whose owners are just to poor/cheap/indifferent to fix them in many cases. 

I bet we can find plenty of volunteers to do this.  Hell, you probably wouldn't even have to pay much for it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A life long winner, society is a worse place without him according to one poster in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know one of them personally, Jack Jones.

He was a scumbag when we were kids, last time I saw him he was a juvenile, on a weekend pass home from the Ohio Boys Reformatory, doing time for rape.
A life long winner, society is a worse place without him according to one poster in this thread.
He was born defective I do believe
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The person being executed probably looks at it as punishment.
View Quote
I doubt most of them understand the concept of doing wrong and paying for it.
like anyone cares what they think, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pay for my travel there and back and i'll flip the switch for one. Contract it out. Fuck 'em.
View Quote
I think in Florida, the jail sets up the condemned, but it's independent outsiders who get paid one time to do it, I heard it was like $180 to press a few buttons
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Trying to make it about something other than justice being served.
The C/O's likely don't give a shit and want those fuckers gone as bad as we do.
God knows what they have to go through and put up with from those predatory assholes.

So; we should stop locking up people or punishing people at all, I guess, right?  Because anti-death penalty people say that life imprisonment is far worse than being executed.  So you're down for something by your own argument is crueler than death?

Executions cost that much because we ALLOW it to cost that much.

You think death by old age is harsher than being executed?  Dude...on what planet do you reside?   Reading books, taking advantage of prison amenities like cable TV, canteen services, etc, prison programs,
plus of course, the ability to keep on killing inside of prison (staff members, correctional officers, medical staff, other prisoners, etc.), the possibility of escape from prison and while escaped, killing and raping/robbing, etc.
Fuck that.
View Quote
For fucks sake. You are making a strawman argument.

It is a fact executions cost the taxpayers  more money than a life in prison sentence.  
It is a fact innocent men have been executed.

It's not my fault, it's just reality.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe you are mistaken
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
They will likely start getting PTSD checks someday 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yet you have as your avitar an evil black assault rifle that you won't hesitate to blow the head off of anyone who rings your doorbell after 2100 hours!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With the cost of housing criminals, paying for all their appeals, and health care, the death penalty does not really save money.  In most cases I do not believe that the possibility of the death sentence, rather than life in prison deters crime.

If 1 out of 1000 death sentences kills an innocent man because of some screw up, that is too many.

Even with all the above in mind, I still believe that society has the right to exact retribution.

A death sentence is not about saving money, deterring crime, or protecting the public, it is simply retribution.
View Quote
And your point is?
Damn right it's about retribution!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don Davis: Executed a helpless 62 year old woman in a home invasion with a .44 mag to the head.
Stacey Johnson: Raped, beat, strangled, and cut the throat of a lady while her 6 year old and 2 year old were home.
Jack Jones: Killed a 32 year old Lady in Florida. Went to Arkansas, where he strangled an 11 year old girl, then anally raped and murdered her mother.
Ledell Lee: Raped multiple women. Kidnapped and raped a 22 year old woman while her 3 year old watched, then murdered her and stuffed her into a closet. Murdered multiple other women.
Jason McGehee: Kidnapped a young man, then beat, cut, burned, and tortured before strangling to death.
Bruce Ward: Strangled 18 year old female store clerk to death
Kenneth Williams: Kidnapped and assaulted cheerleader and her date. Killed the girl. Escaped from prison and killed 3 more people.
Marcel Williams: Kidnapped a woman at a gas station on her way to work, raped and murdered her.

All of these people are fucking sick, and deserve to die. Anyone who can tell me with a straight face that I should feel bad about these assholes getting executed, let me know so I can put you on ignore please.
View Quote
I'd sleep like a baby if I were the one to end the lives of those convicted prisoners
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is feckless people like you that don't realize that the Jesus that gave us the Beatitudes in the Sermon on the Mount is the same God that gave us the 10 Commandments and Leviticus. He inspired Solomon to write in Proverbs:

A wise king winnows out the wicked, and drives the threshing wheel over them.
If a modern execution is too rough for you, then don't google what all was entailed with running a threshing wheel over someone condemned to die. 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
So...you're more willing to execute someone who's willing to execute the murderer, than executing the murderer. Got it!  Wow!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bullshit.

Killed a child? Click.

Raped/murdered an innocent person? Click.

These fuckers can burn in hell. I sleep soundly at night. Ymmv.
View Quote
Of the 8 scumbags lined up for their cold shot, 6 murdered women. one murdered a 15 year old boy...and only one killed a grown man...but he was a senior citizen. All the killings took place between 1989 & 1999.

It has been so long ago that the state is having to look for people to witness the executions. 

17 years of appeals and the opportunity to develop DNA evidence is plenty. 

These are the asshats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think if the person flipping the switch read the files on some of these scum bags, and understood what they were guilty of, the crimes they committed, they'd probably have no trouble sleeping.

My job requires me to review certain types of files and some of the things I’ve read are so heinous that I would have no qualms about hitting a button, flipping a switch, swinging an axe or squeezing a trigger on some of these people.  

It’s a shame there’s no death penalty in Canada because some of these people really shouldn’t be on this planet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Flame away.
View Quote
Not if they drop their appeals.

Last year, Steven Frederick Spears* and Barney Ronald Fuller Jr.* did that very same thing. I wish more would.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Flame away.
View Quote
1. "Documented cases of innocent people being executed. " - Lie
2. "Executions cost more than keeping somebody in prison for life. " - Lie
3."The death sentence not being applied equally across all demographics." - Agree, should be fixed but not a valid reason to protect murderers and screw victims
4. "I think life in prison without parol is a harsher sentence then death. " - Clueless statement based on a liberal fallacy, this in no way protects more people from getting killed. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wish it was as simple as getting a guilty verdict and then walking them outside to be shot. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that death penalty cases are very expensive, and then there are decades of appeals. At the end of the day, it is cheaper to just lock them in a cell and throw away the key.
View Quote
The problem with this argument is pretty simple.  When the anti-death penalty crowd does the totals for life in prison, they only use average cost of care.  They do not include the cost of the multiple appeals some one sentenced to life in prison is likely to file.

The anti-death penalty crowd also intentionally drags shit out as much as they can for a few reasons.  First, they hope they get over ruled by a reasonable judge on an unreasonable motion/argument they make and they get an anti-death penalty judge on appeal.  Secondly, they want to make the process as drawn out as possible to inflict pain on the prosecutors so maybe they will be less likely to go for the death penalty.  Finally, it drives up costs so they can tell the jury it is cheaper to keep him alive and give them an out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#30]
In the 70s I knew the executioner at the old Virginia State Penitentiary in Richmond, Virginia.  He prepared and put scores of men to death.  

I guess he is long dead by now but if he harbored any remorse concerning the men he put to death I never heard tell of it.

All he told me was the only thing he regretted was no longer being able to work inside the prison. He had to work a post at the main sally port, armory, or a tower instead.

Here is Old Sparky before it was moved......They made the execution chamber a trustee visiting room.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Old person sentenced to death....yes more expensive. 20 year old sentenced to death....way cheaper than life in prison.  What age that becomes the tipping point depends on incarceration costs which will vary by state.

I googled it. Most of the links are organizations who are opposed to the death penalty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Bring back 'Jewish' hanging. That method hangs the condemned by their ankles...between 2 pit bulls als hung by their ankles. Wheeee!! 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is why I am for the death penalty.  I think life in prison is needlessly cruel.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember back in the day NY had a conga line going to the electric chair and sometime around the 60's it stopped. I was learning to read the newspaper and Sing Sing had an execution it seemed like every other day. I even went to the library to get info on the electric chair
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We both know the count never decreases. 
View Quote
It does on death row in Texas, DR has the lowest count now since I started working for them in 93. I get your point though.

I just checked and Texas has 254 on DR. 12 bldg holds 504.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Flame away.
View Quote
I theory you are correct. In practice they don't stop being killers or being dangerous after they are put in prison. I can remember one incident where a volunteer chaplain was handing out free bibles and praying with death row offenders. One of them nearly cut his arm completely off. People with opinions should really go do a year or so as a CO and then come back and post.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure if the victim was a member of my family, I would be willing to pay to be the one to pull the switch, pull the trigger, turn the knob, or whatever it took to personally execute the guy.

I think the family of the victim should determine whether the perp be executed or not, not the state.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyone seems to be missing the point...as always.

For or against the death penalty, there's some good evidence about the mental health toll taken upon the staff who are involved. That's not something to be taken lightly.

Words are cheap on the internet...actually being there and doing it is a different thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everyone seems to be missing the point...as always.

For or against the death penalty, there's some good evidence about the mental health toll taken upon the staff who are involved. That's not something to be taken lightly.

Words are cheap on the internet...actually being there and doing it is a different thing.
View Quote
Link to good evidence?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top