Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard from multiple sources that amphetamines have been prescribed to combatants in every war since World War Two.

Anyone care to call me a liar?
View Quote
I'm more inclined to think it's a lifestyle thing. If you know any scuba, skydivers, or anyone else that lives a somewhat extreme lifestyle full time (not a hobby), their drug test results are usually fairly ..colorful.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If true that reveals some serious issues in the culture of the SEALs.
View Quote
Not really.  I think it's more the whole SF/so world.  There was the same thing in the SF world.

These guys are pushing the limits of their bodies and their bodies can't handle it so drugs come into play.  Whether it be PEDs or pain killers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't surprise me at all.  I've heard from multiple people who served in ranger battalions that steroids are practically a unwritten requirement for most guys to do their job. And as the poster above mentioned once you make a contact for getting one drug. Getting other types of drugs for recreation isn't that huge of a leap.

If anything I think that this just shows the hypocrisy of the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well in that case things need to change. Drug addicts cannot do their jobs properly because drugs start to run their life.

Those guys need help and need to be removed from their positions
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link in the OP:
“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” said a SEAL. “That’s a problem.”

It's also reported to be a higher percentage of positive results than the fleet.
Well in that case things need to change. Drug addicts cannot do their jobs properly because drugs start to run their life.

Those guys need help and need to be removed from their positions
And pronto.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll probably regret posting this in the morning but whatever....

I'm willing to bet for a lot of 'operators' roids are the big gateway drug.  News flash...alot of dudes are on them, it's always been that way.  It is illegal, and yet dudes plow ahead because it helps you perform at the level required.  And the moment you cross that line of legality to buy and use illegal PEDs, what the hell is the difference in using illegal recreational drugs to cope, for fun, whatever.  

I know it will shock a lot of people to know that their Tier Zero heroes juice and have to buy their shit on the downlow like any other gymrat does, but what's the real difference between scoring illegal roids and illegal coke?  Like I said....news flash...it's nothing new.  Been going on for decades.
View Quote
Seems I ranked category E too low then. Could you guesstimate a semi accurate percentage of PED use in the community?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Seems I ranked category E too low then. Could you guesstimate a semi accurate percentage of PED use in the community?
View Quote
No.  My personal experience is way outdated, and PED science has advanced light years.  It would be stupid for me to even venture a guess, but I have to imagine the numbers have trended up and not down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No.  My personal experience is way outdated, and PED science has advanced light years.  It would be stupid for me to even venture a guess, but I have to imagine the numbers have trended up and not down.
View Quote
Crazy notion, but has anyone considered the option of putting these guys under a legit MD supervised PED regimen?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
It happens. A bunch of Team Guys got popped selling ecstasy in Thailand. You also have a case like Adam Brown. Adam smoked crack before and as a SEAL. He had a demon.  He kicked it and went on to DEVGRU to die a warriors death saving his brothers. I knew Adam personally, and thought the world of him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Friends that serve/served in line units have had a hard enough time over the last nearly 20 years of high tempo, and very little downtime to deflate.

Seal Teams, and other special forces groups already full of hard charging risk takers, that haven't had much of a break in nearly 20 years when it comes to hardcore drugs?

I can see going beyond the hard party booze slamming like the way the original Seals did 1960's era who wrote books about their lives I own. Boozes is nothing to a ton of people in general now days though.

So coke, Roids, and so on. Can see it. 8(
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Crazy notion, but has anyone considered the option of putting these guys under a legit MD supervised PED regimen?
View Quote
I'm sure it happens, or is allowed to happen to a certain point.

Recent article about brain wave stimulation testing: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/04/05/navy-seals-testing-electrical-brain-stimulation-technology/
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
A little bit of coke never hurt anybody. They're big boys 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From the article "One SEAL who had tested positive for cocaine last summer tested positive again, this time for prescription drugs. He is being kicked off the teams."
How the fuck do you stay in the Navy after pissing hot for cocaine, let alone stay in the Seal community?
That's just a giant WTF for me.
View Quote
We let guys in stay in in regular line units for similar after a little punishment and going to ASAP. It isn't actually easy to kick someone out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Work hard, play hard
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What?  I thought all druggies were unmotivated fuck ups who never accomplish anything.   DARE lied to me?  Unpossible.
View Quote
Lol.  Those are just the reefer addicts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll probably regret posting this in the morning but whatever....

I'm willing to bet for a lot of 'operators' roids are the big gateway drug.  News flash...alot of dudes are on them, it's always been that way.  It is illegal, and yet dudes plow ahead because it helps you perform at the level required.  And the moment you cross that line of legality to buy and use illegal PEDs, what the hell is the difference in using illegal recreational drugs to cope, for fun, whatever.  

I know it will shock a lot of people to know that their Tier Zero heroes juice and have to buy their shit on the downlow like any other gymrat does, but what's the real difference between scoring illegal roids and illegal coke?  Like I said....news flash...it's nothing new.  Been going on for decades.
View Quote
Any woman can get an rx for a boatload of estrogen because she doesn't feel like a woman anymore, but a man who can't get wood anymore is a dirty junky for just wanting standard hormone levels.  I'm not talking about the juice heads here but if they want to do that to themselves I'd let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:04:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Doesn't surprise me at all.  I've heard from multiple people who served in ranger battalions that steroids are practically a unwritten requirement for most guys to do their job. And as the poster above mentioned once you make a contact for getting one drug. Getting other types of drugs for recreation isn't that huge of a leap.

If anything I think that this just shows the hypocrisy of the war on drugs.
View Quote
It illustrates the intended purpose of making as many people "criminals" as possible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I will admit to shooting up PsychoJet more than once in Boston on an op gone wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone imagine that you can live that life and not be mainlineing something?  Get fucking serious.  Embrace the life.
I will admit to shooting up PsychoJet more than once in Boston on an op gone wrong.
I was partial to buffats and rad x myself
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like courts martial time to me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#19]
A sign of the decay and rot spreading throughout the Western World.

Its happened before, will happen again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#20]
If we simply made those drugs illegal to sell or possess, then they wouldn't be able to get them anymore. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” said a SEAL. “That’s a problem.”  
View Quote
Due to the competitive nature and the almost super human physical requirements I think performance enhancing drugs would have been a given and due to the competitive nature and almost super human physical requirements I would have bet "cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy" etc... would be the last thing they would put in their bodies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or perhaps a sign of the decay and rot spreading that was synonymous with the last Administration.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or perhaps a sign of the decay and rot spreading that was synonymous with the last Administration.
View Quote
The Obama Administration is symptom of the problem, not the problem.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#25]
So they're doing drugs. Shocking. Hope they enjoy them and are careful about being caught, I image they could use a good buzz now and again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does anyone imagine that you can live that life and not be mainlineing something?  Get fucking serious.  Embrace the life.
View Quote
They fucking better be able to do it.
No fucking excuses
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mandatory PowerPoint presentation to the rescue!
View Quote
If the problem gets REAL serious they might have a mandatory webinar!

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I have no sympathy for abusers of Motrin.

All hail the mighty cure all = MOTRIN.

MOTRIN rules all!  or so says every military doctor, hospital or clinic I've ever been to.

------------------------

Why does every documentary, news report, book, or article on Navy SEALS always have to show them carrying telephone poles?

Yet I've never seen them putting up telephone poles, not even in pictures.

With all the carrying them around you would think they were at least going to install a couple, or maybe hook up comms or power on them but you never see that.

Just carrying them around.

What's the classification on why they are carrying them around?  What's the mission?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Seriously,  those guys do the dirty work of the entire nation, help those who can't help themselves, go into places and situations that most sane people would say "hell no".

So if they slip up = HELP THEM!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Is it worse that Vietnam?  No more Green Hornets?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#31]
5 SEALS piss hot, lol.  I remember that weekend 30+ people in my Battalion pissed hot, and that one time 8th Marines had a whole company piss hot on a float.

times are a changing I guess
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not surprised at all with the lives these guys lead and the fact they all have type A personalities.

The training and OP tempo combined with 6-9 months every year away from home would mentally break most people in short order. Throw in a high injury rate and the fact that the military doses them at time with amphetamines at times for operations  and I don't know why anyone should be surprised when a higher percentage start using extracurricular drugs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
What decay and rot are you alluding to?

I mean FFS, it's not like they were freebasing freshly collected infants blood
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A little bit of coke never hurt anybody. They're big boys 
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Let's be honest, PED use among SOF is a thing and most people who don't have blinders on know it.  

Cocaine and meth are different.  

The failure of leadership to take any action in response to this is pitiful.  This is what happens when you have hero worship at an organizational level, combined with the Navy's habit of covering up embarrassing scandals by firing an officer or two and saying the problem's fixed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those guys have always known how to party. I don't know why anyone would be surprised people under that much pressure relieve it the same way the rest of the human race does.
View Quote
This.
They're only human.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hair gel is a drug?
View Quote
oof
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Someone is going to write a book about r and get rich.

Lone survivor: Heroin edition.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Meh.... what drugs are we talking here.

Are they smoking a blunt to relax after a long mission/deployment or are we talking meth/coke/heroin here?

PEDs?

There is a huge definition of the word "drugs" here.
View Quote
Reading is fundamental: cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dudes putting it on the line, and when they get off they let it all hang out. Cant believe this is  a new thing. How much drug use went on in Vietnam? Sustained warfare has a toll on the psyche. Even the upper echelon (more so) will feel it. The trends in lack of family life for millennials, constant deployment. It'll be something that JSOC has to deal with. test'em up and weed out. Understandable but a liability for sure.
View Quote
more like spoiled children acting like the rules don't apply to them.  It gets people killed.

If it wasn't for books and hollywood, they would have been disbanded.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody did drugs until the government made them illegal
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From Task & Purpose:

0.1% is hardly widespread IMO. The Navy overall had a 0.2% rate of substance abuse.

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-seals-drug-use-cbs-report/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From Task & Purpose:

Salata told Task & Purpose that in November 2016, the Navy conducted a “no-notice sweep” of all 6,364 Naval Special Warfare units returning to their posts from Thanksgiving — a sweep that returned only seven positives for drug use.
0.1% is hardly widespread IMO. The Navy overall had a 0.2% rate of substance abuse.

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-seals-drug-use-cbs-report/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
There you go.  But everyone's going to get a case of the vapors over it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#44]
In the late 80s, at my first job, I worked with a 30ish engineer who had been a USMC Recon guy.
He was talking about training with NATO partners and other US .mil groups, and he specifically described SEALs as being "speed freaks".

I knew an SF officer in the mid 80s who told me he had used steroids for a bit in the 70s; they were legal at that time, though.
he got off them because they made him really violent.

fighter pilots used to have access to stimulant pills.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I didn't know there were that many SEALs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#46]
No Mr. Seal drugs are bad. Here is your Med Kit for the next mission we have uppers, downers, opioids, anti anxiety, muscle relaxers, just in case. don't worry about the long flight time the USAF gives the pilots Meth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Drug use is going to happen... We have majorly ramped up our DDR program in the last couple years and kicked out some turds. The AF has a straight zero tolerance policy. You piss hot, you get the fuck out. I have heard there are exceptionally rare cases where the member may be retained, but it's basically an act of God.

Almost everyone who gets caught is a minor asset anyway. The good guys tend to stay on the straight and narrow it seems.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have heard from multiple sources that amphetamines have been prescribed to combatants in every war since World War Two.

Anyone care to call me a liar?
View Quote
No one gives a shit about what you heard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks Obama.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top