Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Pho is awesome.

If you're worried about carbs either drop or substitute the noodles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's okay. I like the bahn mi sandwiches and bun thit nun with plenty of nuoc mam better though. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's nothing special.

Unless you're a big fan of tripe and other parts.
View Quote
There are dozens of variations.
I usually go for rare beef (bò tái) or oxtail (Ph? Ðuôi Bò)
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who the hell doesn't like pho?
View Quote
I tolerate Pho, but don't really like it. Rice noodles are flavorless.

As Vietnamese soups go, I do like Mi which uses egg noodles instead of rice noodles used in Pho and is typically made with a pork broth. Mi has a lot more flavor and complexity that the simpler Pho. Yum.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I absolutely love Pho.

I'm a back woods country redneck living in NoVA, but you'll find me in a Pho restaurant at least once a week.

The place I go puts a ton of meat in there, almost half the bowl is meat.

Throw in a few seconds squirt of siracha and I'm in heaven.
View Quote
There are a bunch of good ones in NoVa.  I can take or leave tripe, and usually fairly salty.  I like Pho on rainly or cold days.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it. Lots of good places in PDX.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I make it myself, it's one of the easiest meals to cook ever, you can make it with almost anything really.

Get a thai basil plant, make some sprouts... I prefer egg noodles to rice but now we're not eating carbs so more meat and veggies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Order it with meatballs and rare beef on the side

Hoisin souce no sirracha.

Pho is like menudo. Its a weekend and morning meal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Half noodles and more meat sounds perfect to me. Will try that next time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Other food is just empty sustenance I must ingest to survive until my next bowl of Pho
View Quote
I used to be like that. I had coworkers I'd always meet up with for lunch and grab pho.

I don't get it as often anymore but still love it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Love it!

Bun Bo Hue (spicy beef soup) is my favorite though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Want a proper bowl of pho? Go to a city with real Vietnamese people. People that actually immigrated over. (New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Orange County ca come to mind).

Beef pho is eaten with a splash of hoisen sauce and sriracha. Squeeze a lime and throw in bean sprouts.

For those that like their pho spicy, you should really look into bun bo hue. It's a spicy flavor explosion. Add ot sate and shrimp paste for a real authentic experience.

Mi comes in many forms including dry or wet. And with duck, BBQ pork or combination seafood. I eat the duck soup version and pour a little soy sauce in it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Pho is fantastic. Especially when it is cold out. I am fortunate enough to have 2 authentic Vietnamese restaurants around me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm actually pretty well verse in various cuisines but ironically had never had Pho.

Went to a fairly high rated pho place today with my girl to try it out and I left there with mixed thoughts.

The good:
Liked the broth and the herb mixures.

The bad:
Way too many carbs, not enough protein.

Pho seems to have this "healthy" stigma attached to it but it reality as someone who eats pretty healthy I was left feeling like shit/bloated like a pasta meal.

Here I am its getting close to dinner time now an I have a steak/shrimp/salad dinner to prepare and I still feel like I ate too much even though I didnt even finish the entire bowl of Pho.

Think I'm going to stick to Sushi for my asian type food fix.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't eat it anymore. I ate it at least once or twice a day for 10 years. Used to own a pho restaurant.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You probably sucked down a bunch of air slurping down the noodles, which will help give you a bloated feeling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I phent.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I crave pho.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I crave pho.
View Quote
This guy. He and I are twins. He understands me thoroughly.

Pho is life.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Vietnamese pork sandwich is good too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pho is life.

http://ww2.kqed.org/bayareabites/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2016/01/PhoCongLy-new.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I crave pho.

Pho is life.

http://ww2.kqed.org/bayareabites/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2016/01/PhoCongLy-new.jpg
I haven't had any since I left Virginia three years ago. Hearing all of this talk about it is making the craving painful.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I love Pho'... I cannot finish a bowl, but I agree it is light on protein and I am hungry a few hours later. It's good though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I haven't had any since I left Virginia three years ago. Hearing all of this talk about it is making the craving painful.

View Quote
How to Make Pho

Boom. No excuses.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember when it wasn't $8 or more
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Love it with tripe or tongue. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Love pho, one of my favorite meals growing up.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Phuk yeah.  Now with more tripe.
View Quote
Don't forget the tendon too

I love pho.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's nothing special.

Unless you're a big fan of tripe and other parts.
View Quote
Lies. Pho is delicious.  Beef ribeye Pho is my fave...mmm mm.  There's a place in my hometown that makes phenomenal Vietnamese food.  I'd eat there every day if I could.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember when it wasn't $8 or more
View Quote
Around here $10, gets you one large enough to drown in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Like it?  Duh

The best part about Pho is the fragrance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#33]
My favorite is Pho tai nam, flank and round steak.  With a glass of cafe sua da.  I have a friend that orders it with no noodles w/ extra veggies.  That reminds me, I need to go have some soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Mom used to make the best out there. You always knew Saturday's and Sunday's lunch would be awe-fucking-some.

She make her own broth from scratch. The bones she used still had some meat on them. As it cooked and got tender, she'd scrape the meat off and make either spring rolls or crepes the next day. Man it was awesome! Took it for granted as a kid -- sometimes I'd defer to waffles and syrup instead of her cooking. It was 2 years this past Wednesday since she's been gone and at least 6 years since she was able to cook like that in the kitchen. I miss it. Bad.

I'm sure many here will agree, no one makes it (whatever it is) like mom makes it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mom used to make the best out there. You always knew Saturday's and Sunday's lunch would be awe-fucking-some.

She make her own broth from scratch. The bones she used still had some meat on them. As it cooked and got tender, she'd scrape the meat off and make either spring rolls or crepes the next day. Man it was awesome! Took it for granted as a kid -- sometimes I'd defer to waffles and syrup instead of her cooking. It was 2 years this past Wednesday since she's been gone and at least 6 years since she was able to cook like that in the kitchen. I miss it. Bad.

I'm sure many here will agree, no one makes it (whatever it is) like mom makes it.
View Quote

When I was growing up down in Houston I had a lot of Vietnamese friends.  Occasionally we would be out partying late, then go to their house to crash.  One time when we woke up my friends mom had made Pho for us.  Best hangover cure ever invented!  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Try Bahn Mi, OP.  Pho is good, but any asshole can make soup...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Who the hell doesn't like pho?
View Quote
No shit,WTF OP
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#38]
She make her own broth from scratch.
View Quote
Ya gotta. Pho really can't be made with canned broth. Any place that tries that needs to be avoided.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How to Make Pho

Boom. No excuses.
View Quote
That recipe is missing quite a few things.  Fennel, cinnamon, cardamom, and garlic off the top of my head.  That stuff makes a big difference in the flavor
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#41]
PhoK yea!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're in NC?  There's a couple of excellent hole in the wall Pho places in Durham.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Pho sho!

But I prefer Japanese ramen.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Took my step daughter to our only local Vietnamese restaurant a couple days ago.  We both ordered Pho.

She had just returned from Vietnam the week before and said what we had was the real thing.    Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You're in NC?  There's a couple of excellent hole in the wall Pho places in Durham.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 2hrs away. Next time I'm in Durham, I'll have some pho.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Wife's best friend is Vietnamese.

Awesome food.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Hoisen sauce belongs in a garbage can.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, with a tasty Bánh mì.

I miss Lee's Bakery
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Vietnamese pork sandwich is good too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191468/porkbahn-188440.JPG
View Quote
Bhan mi.

I've got the Homer Simpson drool going on right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#50]
If the broth is done right it has a lot of flavor and doesn't need much added. Maybe a little heat, but lime totally throws off the flavor. I get my eye of round raw on the side and cook it in the hot broth to my liking, otherwise the beef tastes dry and is tough. Don't drink all of the broth and you won't feel so full.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top