BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2017 7:52:10 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

At first I didn't care, as long as snakes are outside whatever.

But lately this guy has become a serious dick. He chases and bites. After a couple days of this, I picked him up and tossed him in the trash.

I tried bringing him to the river (a good trek from my house,) but he always comes back and lays on my porch. I'm not going to just drop him anywhere, and I really hate killing animals, but he's pissing me off. Will animal control rehome a snake?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it's a garter. Buy him a beer and talk it over, find out what's bugging him.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably looking for a mating ball.

NatureNorth.com's Snakes Alive Video
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably looking for a mating ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSO4ooNN_MY
View Quote
Yea well unless the little shit finds one in my garbage can, no luck for him.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Garter was correct.

Looks like he might be working up a shed soon. They can get testy for a while as they shed their old skin.

Awesome fella to have around.

ETA, could be a pregnant female. I had one as a kid and one day she popped out 20 babies before shitting out all the eggs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost stepped on this harmless one at the lake a few days ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Garter was correct.

Looks like he might be working up a shed soon. They can get testy for a while as they shed their old skin.

Awesome fella to have around.
View Quote
Well I'm going to see if someone will come take him elsewhere. There's other less dickish snakes I have in my garden. I don't need this fucker

I really didn't care when he stuck to the back. But now he is a dick on the front porch, too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Snake1-copy-203051.JPG
View Quote
Good looking gopher snake!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I found someone who's going to take him.

His life has been spared haha
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Snake1-copy-203051.JPG
Yeah, my dog found him before I did - luckily she didn't take a strike.
Those damn things blend in so well with the shore line....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/SnakeR--1--203075.JPG
View Quote
Doesn't look like it's missed any meals either lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Never knew garter snake could be aggressive.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Do what I do: 

Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Fuck snakes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I found this guy last week and he was a dick too. Did not enjoy being pet. They must be moody this time of year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a couple other snakes outside, a couple rat snakes and a couple garters. All of them are slow moving, lazy and extremely docile.

This guy is out of control. He bites while I'm gardening, bites at my ankles. Follows me to my car biting at me. And while it doesn't hurt, it does sting a bit and yesterday I yanked my arm when he caught me by surprise and it actually bled a bit. He's irritated me enough, so I snatched him up and tossed him in the trash. Someone is coming to get him tonight. He/she is super heavy for a garter snake, too. So the pregnancy theory may be true.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do what I do: 

http://images.kablue.com/adp/products/300/1012843.jpeg

Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Fuck snakes.
View Quote
This is coming shortly if this lady doesn't come get him.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why Jesus gave us halberds.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]

This thread is great. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a couple other snakes outside, a couple rat snakes and a couple garters. All of them are slow moving, lazy and extremely docile.

This guy is out of control. He bites while I'm gardening, bites at my ankles. Follows me to my car biting at me. And while it doesn't hurt, it does sting a bit and yesterday I yanked my arm when he caught me by surprise and it actually bled a bit. He's irritated me enough, so I snatched him up and tossed him in the trash. Someone is coming to get him tonight. He/she is super heavy for a garter snake, too. So the pregnancy theory may be true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She just wants to be noticed. Bite her back, she'll leave you alone after that. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
They have quite the attitude!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kind of dog do you have that would be injured by a gopher snake bite?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Short Snake Disease.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I found out that they could after taking a few swings at one with a 5-iron.
View Quote
And they're fucking fast, too
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I fucking hate snakes. I don't know what sort of magic spell the OP put on me to click this.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys that aren't afraid of snakes amaze me.  Biting at you?  Chasing you?  And you use such calm words like annoying?  yeah....  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like it possibly could be a Butler's Garter Snake?  It's a minor variation but they are endangered in many places.  I used to have some as pets.  Snakes are cool!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some will bite if you mess with them.

But they don't chase people, lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
This Garter, thinks he's a Honey Badger.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys that aren't afraid of snakes amaze me.  Biting at you?  Chasing you?  And you use such calm words like annoying?  yeah....  
View Quote
Oh it's not like a full-fledged foot chase. It just comes after me every time I try to walk around it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some will bite if you mess with them.

But they don't chase people, lol.
View Quote
Call it whatever you want. Second you get anywhere near the little fucker it comes after you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She wouldn't be injured by the non-poisonous bite, but she's a dog (Labrador) and I would simply fear for a bite infection.
If the choice is get bit, or not get bit - I'll fo with not get bit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171051/IMG-3496-203093.JPG

I found this guy last week and he was a dick too. Did not enjoy being pet. They must be moody this time of year.
View Quote
Watersnakes are always moody.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
It works for the Federal Government.. it's using eminent domain, trying to expropriate your private property. Whip out your snake and piss on it to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know why, but this seems to be the case with most species of snakes that like to live near water.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry, we aren't all fucking pussies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speak for yourself, virgin.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
you da man
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Lady just came and got it. It gets to live another day somewhere else!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish I only had a snake problem. My WereKitteh, is back, and I am in fear for my life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wish I only had a snake problem. My WereKitteh, is back, and I am in fear for my life.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/112774/bmf3-203150.JPG
View Quote
I like possums

Hilarious full moonish pic, though
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh, I get it now,  the snake is really a  euphemism for his B.F. !
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was a kid, I'd go out and spend the day in the woods looking for snakes, frogs, whatever. 
Would usually come home with a few Garter snakes hanging off me and more stuffed in my pockets. Mom was none too impressed.

Relax OP. Channel your inner kid! 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, I'd go out and spend the day in the woods looking for snakes, frogs, whatever. 
Would usually come home with a few Garter snakes hanging off me and more stuffed in my pockets. Mom was none too impressed.

View Quote
I don't generally mind snakes. Most of them around here are pretty docile.

My property touches a river, so snakes are just part of the deal. But much like spiders, I think they're neat until they bite me. That goes for any animal. I'd throw a cat in the trash if it hid in my garden and bit me, too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a 20 gauge single shot just for snakes this summer.  I suspect I'll see a few, and it will likely not end well.  I do not like snakes.  

I also have trouble ID'ing them, which means I err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bought a 20 gauge single shot just for snakes this summer.  I suspect I'll see a few, and it will likely not end well.  I do not like snakes.  

I also have trouble ID'ing them, which means I err on the side of caution.
View Quote
I'm kinda here, too. When I know what a snake is, I'm fine. But I had some traumatizing as a kid when I got nailed by some blue racers. Now snakes and I have a shaky relationship
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had a buddy who's backyard bordered undeveloped land. When his young nephew (9 or so yrs old) would come over, he'd always have a blast searching around and finding shed skins of garter snakes, always about 18-24" long and maybe as big around as your thumb at most. I was breeding red tailed boas at the time and had a 9' female that was bigger around than my thigh. She gave me a perfect shed one day. We planted it in his backyard one day before his nephew came over.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Had a buddy who's backyard bordered undeveloped land. When his young nephew (9 or so yrs old) would come over, he'd always have a blast searching around and finding shed skins of garter snakes, always about 18-24" long and maybe as big around as your thumb at most. I was breeding red tailed boas at the time and had a 9' female that was bigger around than my thigh. She gave me a perfect shed one day. We planted it in his backyard one day before his nephew came over.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an awesome prank! 

Rare GD photo of Mrs. tifosi with one of our Guyana Red Tails. I guess I was "bitten" by the snake bug early on. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Aggressive snake? Shoot the fucker.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top