User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.300blk and he done with it
View Quote
That would literally be worse than 5.56mm.

6.5G suppressed SBRs for infantry.

6.5G suppressed 16" for DMR.

6.5C for MGs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Why????

It isn't even as powerful as the 7.62X39??

Ballistics of a rock compared to other cartridges that will fit in an AR.

I built one only because I shoot it suppressed subsonic. It's cool for that, but not as the main cartridge for our military.
View Quote
This Buffalo says the gun magazine writer you're quoting is wrong:

300 AAC Blackout For Buffalo Harvest. On Animal Shot
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I really hope the 300 blackout people are trolling.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
the mil, ordered like 5 billion rds of 5,56 in the last few years.........  the M4  not going anywhere
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have it from a reliable source that the HK416 in 6.8 will be the next issued.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really hope you 300 BLK doubters are simply doubting it because you're 5.56 fanbois. At least that would explain why you aren't paying attention to what the cartridge can do.

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to start a petition to adopt the .375 H&H Mag as the standard round.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why would a projectile going 2600 fps (120 gr Grendel) burn a barrel out fast?

(I may not be precise on the velocity but I'm not far off)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DMR, maybe.  Those 6.5 cartridges burn out barrels fast.

Imagine an M240 machine gun firing a projectile with the same or greater velocity as 7.62 but in a 1:8 twist instead of 1:12.  That can cause greater friction and thus wear on the lands and grooves.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Great, all of the sudden 6.5 is king. What's it going to be next month or next year?

But, but, but the .22, 25-06, 243, 260, 6.55, etc., etc., etc. can kill (insert pic of large game animal taken with caliber here). See I told you it's the best!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really hope you 300 BLK doubters are simply doubting it because you're 5.56 fanbois. At least that would explain why you aren't paying attention to what the cartridge can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okKLNIDPGI8
View Quote
Lol dude I have a 300 blackout. It's super fun shooting subs with a can but that's about it. Has  the ballistics of a slow pitch soft ball.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Give me something that starts with 6.5.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Give me something that starts with 6.5.
View Quote
I personally like the 7mm for the larger rounds, but 6.5 is growing on me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
This kind of stuff goes on in fits and starts over and over.

It is such a huge cost to outfit the whole military that any change has to have huge advantages on the field or in cost.

It is a lot more than just having a new rifle for the present army but sufficient stock to allow for a much larger force should it be required.

Luckily for the most part the mass armies of history are pretty unlikely.

Longer range, accurate,  and more powerful armaments can be brought to bear against a massed force.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol dude I have a 300 blackout. It's super fun shooting subs with a can but that's about it. Has  the ballistics of a slow pitch soft ball.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Good grief, people are suggesting a round they fire one at a time at 100 yards at a hog at night, is somehow a good choice for a combat rifle where full-auto recoil management and ability to hold a flat trajectory at "somewhere over there" distances is what matters?  There is no way .300 blackout is anywhere near on-the-table for this.  Not to mention, can you imaging changing standards to a new round that fits in a 5.56 chamber with some vigorous FA slamming, and will then blow up that gun?  Holy shit.  

But in the end, 5.56 isn't going away any time soon.  Though it may get some friends.  The 6.5 family is coming out to be King, and I'll be surprised if it's not one of those.   DOD is already buying LaRue's in .260 Rem.  I like 6.5 CM as a civilian, but I bet Army's going to want the taper of a .260 Rem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfU9bjMUaw8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why????

I built one only because I shoot it suppressed subsonic. It's cool for that, but not as the main cartridge for our military.

You can also take a Grizzly Bear with a 22LR with the right shot placement.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22-rifle-did-bella-twin-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/#axzz4ghQWRE9g
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The next big war will likely be in a large urban area. I can't think of one advantage 6.5C sized guns give in that environment. If it was me going to war, I'd want something with more ammo capacity than 5.56, lighter ammo, and flatter shooting if possible. Caseless 6mm maybe?
Once again, we're preparing for the last war, ignoring the future.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For everyone saying 300BLK:

Are you guys trolling, or seriously retarded?

Because 300BLK for an individual service rifle cartridge is pure retardation.

You just cut your hit probability from 5.56 NATO way down, while reducing barrier penetration and armor defeat capability substantially.

You also cut your effective range down.

Why anyone would openly advocate for 300BLK for general issue is beyond me.

It's a special application cartridge with a very limited role suppressed, to allow some of the same capabilities of the MP5SD for certain units, not a general issue infantry rifle cartridge.
View Quote
This.

.300 BLK is utter retardation as a general issue round.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone needs to brush up on the definition of what an intermediate cartridge is.   Noone is saying the .300 BLK is a 500+ yard cartridge, and the last I checked I never heard anyone say the 5.56 is a 500+ yard cartridge either.  At < 300 yards even your own chart says they are very close.

If you are shooting at a 1000 yard target then you use a 1000 yard cartridge.  All this ballistic trajectory is saying is that both 5.56 and 300 BLK needs to be replaced by .308.  Is that really what you're saying?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If we ever go to war with some big ass pigs, 300 BLK might make sense over 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Someone needs to brush up on the definition of what an intermediate cartridge is.   Noone is saying the .300 BLK is a 500+ yard cartridge, and the last I checked I never heard anyone say the 5.56 is a 500+ yard cartridge either.  At < 300 yards even your own chart says they are very close.

If you are shooting at a 1000 yard target then you use a 1000 yard cartridge.  All this ballistic trajectory is saying is that both 5.56 and 300 BLK needs to be replaced by .308.  Is that really what you're saying?
View Quote
Ask the guys in Afghanistan about that when they're shooting from mountain ridge to mountain ridge.

We already have an awesome intermediate cartridge in the 6.8 SPC. Specifically designed for that purpose and with bullets that work on human sized targets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The graph is too difficult to read at a 300 yard distance because it was made for 1000 yards.  You have to look at the tabulated figures.

The chart shows at 300 yard the drop on 300 blk is 27.74 inches at a velocity of 1505 fps and energy of 629 ft*lb.
5.56 has a 300 yard drop of 14.49 inches at a velocity of 1969 fps and energy of 534 ft*lbs.
6.5Grendel has a 300 yard drop of 17.62 inches at a velocity of 1996 fps and energy of 1088 ft*lbs. 

So it would make no sense to change to 300BLK.  If you had to change to something that uses the same length action, 6.5 Grendel makes a lot more sense than a 30 caliber cartridge that drops like a rock and has no energy left to push the larger bullet through a barrier.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Imagine an M240 machine gun firing a projectile with the same or greater velocity as 7.62 but in a 1:8 twist instead of 1:12.  That can cause greater friction and thus wear on the lands and grooves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DMR, maybe.  Those 6.5 cartridges burn out barrels fast.

M240 is way bigger than you would need for a 1950s design chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

If you did double down on a 1950s design and chamber with a metallic case cartridge, the weapon would be like a Stoner 63, Stoner LMG, SAW, or Ultimax.

Chamber pressure of 6.5 Grendel is way less than 7.62 NATO, as is case capacity.

You just don't see throat erosion like 7.62 NATO, which isn't particularly fast unless you go cyclic.

LSAT 6.5mm is where it's at for an LMG, with smaller case than the 7.62 LSAT, and lower working pressure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Good grief, people are suggesting a round they fire one at a time at 100 yards at a hog at night, is somehow a good choice for a combat rifle where full-auto recoil management and ability to hold a flat trajectory at "somewhere over there" distances is what matters?  There is no way .300 blackout is anywhere near on-the-table for this.  Not to mention, can you imaging changing standards to a new round that fits in a 5.56 chamber with some vigorous FA slamming, and will then blow up that gun?  Holy shit.  
View Quote
So if proven accuracy, proven reliability, and proven killing power out of a proven weapon design for proven combat ranges aren't sufficient standards for a service rifle then what is, exactly?  The ability to rock and roll with the weapon while smoking a cigar and saying smug quotes like "I don't have time to bleed"?

I don't get why the military is even going to a new system.  The whole reason why we've been using the current system for 50+ years is that no design has been found that does things better.  They may be equivalent but that doesn't mean it's better.  My money is on the .MIL trying out different systems and coming to the conclusion that spending money going to another cartridge that does exactly what the previous cartridge did will nix the whole program.  This whole argument over .300 BLK (or 6.5 Creedmore or 8.8 Flugzeugabwehrkanone or whatever) is moot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, because the US is going to suddenly ignore NATO standards.

To my knowledge, the only NATO-standard calibers are 9mm, 5.56mm (.223 Remington), 7.62mm (.308 Winchester), 12.7mm (.50 BMG), and 25mm.

I just don't see us issuing infantry weapons large-scale without pushing it through NATO.
View Quote
The US doesn't push things through NATO first.

We push things onto NATO after, like with what we did with 7.62 "light rifle".
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll believe it when it happens.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

.300 BLK is utter retardation as a general issue round.
View Quote
In practical, non Mall ninja terms, can you explain your rationale for saying that?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In practical, non Mall ninja terms, can you explain your rationale for saying that?
View Quote
Because 6.5 Grendel blows it away at short distance and blows it away even more at long distance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which part do you not understand?

The MPBR is dependent on bullet and powder selection. 300 yard hits are easy as pie with a 125gr OTBT bullet.

As to the rest, it is common knowledge that the BCG and Magazines ar identical between 5.56mm and .300 blk.

As a matter of fact, a simple barrel and gas tube swap is all that is generally required to change calibers between the two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the range on one of those, 50 yards?

Why not just switch to 7.62x39?
I can shoot mine out to 300 yards.
And with the .300blk, you can use the standard m16 bcg and magazines at full capacity
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

The MPBR is dependent on bullet and powder selection. 300 yard hits are easy as pie with a 125gr OTBT bullet.

As to the rest, it is common knowledge that the BCG and Magazines ar identical between 5.56mm and .300 blk.

As a matter of fact, a simple barrel and gas tube swap is all that is generally required to change calibers between the two.
I'm very familiar with 300 Whisper performance and how poor it is for supersonic use.

The part I don't understand is how people are seriously advocating for such a pathetic rainbow trajectory cartridge for general use for Infantry and service-wide, when all the performance increases we have been looking for are the opposite of what 300 Whisper is.

300 yard hits are easy as pie with a .45-70 as well.

Hitting head-size targets peeking out at you, or from windows in the urban fight within 150m, with a 300yd zero are not, whereas they are much easier with 5.56 NATO, because it's flat as sin.

If you look at practical PBR, 300 Whisper is a turd.  5.56 NATO is excellent, only outdone by something with the same mv and higher BC.

300 Super bullets and BC are horrendous, not even runners-up to the minor leagues in this debate.

5.56 NATO is fine for carbines and riflemen, who are entry-level soldiers in the Infantry Rifle Platoon with very limited training, most of it garbage, unproductive.

As you move through the duty positions in the Platoon, you star to encounter other weapon systems, starting with the SAW, which needs to be replaced with an LMG that weighs half as much, is more reliable, with lighter ammo, that has superior barrier defeat and range.

The only system that meets those requirements is LSAT.

Then you look at the M240.  The main negatives about the M240 are weight, ammo weight, and 7.62 NATO.  A 6.5mm LSAT would weigh less than half of an M240, with ammunition that is as light or lighter than linked 5.56 NATO, while exceeding 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R retained energy, drop, and wind drift from about 400m on out, with way less chamber pressure than 7.62 NATO, leading to longer barrel life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#30]
All things will soon be .260/6.5 and .338.  There's no use in fighting it, it's coming.  .22/5.56 and .30/7.62 are dinosaurs.  Embrace the new superior calibers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ask the guys in Afghanistan about that when they're shooting from mountain ridge to mountain ridge.

We already have an awesome intermediate cartridge in the 6.8 SPC. Specifically designed for that purpose and with bullets that work on human sized targets.
View Quote
6.8 SPC is dead and buried for any military use.  All hail the 6.5!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why????

That could have been done with a .222 Remington.

Head-shooting a large, docile animal at close range has almost zero relevant data for supporting a cartridge for general military use.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any doubts about what 300 Blackout is.

I do have doubts that people who advocate it for general military use know the first thing about what is needed in a dismounted light infantry unit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because anything the .300 BLK can do, the 6.5 Grendel can do a lot better at much greater distances.

.300 BLK is good for using subsonic bullets in a very niche ninja warrior role. Other than that, it's an fairly mediocre round.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The graph is too difficult to read at a 300 yard distance because it was made for 1000 yards.  You have to look at the tabulated figures.

The chart shows at 300 yard the drop on 300 blk is 27.74 inches at a velocity of 1505 fps and energy of 629 ft*lb.
5.56 has a 300 yard drop of 14.49 inches at a velocity of 1969 fps and energy of 534 ft*lbs.
6.5Grendel has a 300 yard drop of 17.62 inches at a velocity of 1996 fps and energy of 1088 ft*lbs. 

So it would make no sense to change to 300BLK.  If you had to change to something that uses the same length action, 6.5 Grendel makes a lot more sense than a 30 caliber cartridge that drops like a rock and has no energy left to push the larger bullet through a barrier.
View Quote
To add to that, the currently issued 6.8 Spc II that was produced by Federal for military contracts overseas, is a 90gr Gold Dot , that fired from a 16" barrel averaged 2880fps. That and the 110gr at 2650-2700fps would be the most likely two cartridges used.

With the 90 gr , the drop at 300 yards is 12.8 inches, with a velocity of 1936fps, and energy of 749 ft/lbs.

The 110gr which was offered in a few loads between 2650 and 2700fps , has a drop of 13.8" at 300 yards, velocity of 1973fps, and energy of 951 ft/lbs.

One other to consider is the 140gr that was loaded at SSA, which had a MV of 2400fps from a 16" barrel ( all of these are from 16" barrels ) , which had a drop at 300 yards of 17.1", velocity of 1912fps, and energy of 1137 ft/lbs of energy.

All of the above data is ammo that was sold on the retail market, not hand loads.
The 6.8 is still extremely efficient from short barrels down to 10 inches.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know nothing about the 6.8 SPC so I can't comment on it one way or the other.  If 6.8 SPC is that combat proven then why are they even fooling with 6.5 Creedmore?  What does 6.5 Creedmore have over 6.8 SPC?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The next big war will likely be in a large urban area. I can't think of one advantage 6.5C sized guns give in that environment. If it was me going to war, I'd want something with more ammo capacity than 5.56, lighter ammo, and flatter shooting if possible. Caseless 6mm maybe?
Once again, we're preparing for the last war, ignoring the future.
View Quote
Which weapons are you talking about?

Rifleman
Grenadier
Automatic Rifleman/LMG Gunner
Fire Team Leader

Squad Leader
Platoon Sergeant
Platoon Leader
Forward Observer
Combat Medic

Scout Sniper

Combat Engineer

Weapons Squad Leader
Machinegunner
Ammo Bearer
Assistant Gunner
Anti Armor Weapon Specialist
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
joglee thread
View Quote
beat me too it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

6.8 SPC is dead and buried for any military use.  All hail the 6.5!!
View Quote
There are several nations using it right now.

That said, either 6.8 spc II or Grendel is the way to go.

Blackout needs to back out for supers and mil use.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Its seems that for the past 100 years, several countries have conducted numerous such tests, and all consistently concluded that .260-.270 caliber is superior.

Then they all chose a different caliber...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

6.5Grendel has a 300 yard drop of 17.62 inches at a velocity of 1996 fps and energy of 1088 ft*lbs

View Quote
If you look at the maximum ordinate across the 3, the 5.56 is the lowest, flattest trajectory, which increase hit potential on partially-exposed targets, like people who don't want to be shot.

The 6.5 Grendel with a 123gr is within 3" of it at 300yds for drop, but wind drift is less with 6.5mm/high BC.

Retained energy and impact speed on target favor 6.5mm of any of the smaller bore cartridges with similar case capacities.

You can exceed the 6.5 Grendel if you go up to a larger case pushing a 6mm at 2900-3100fps, but barrel life is now like a .243 Win.-not acceptable for a military rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
So would shooting a 5.56 bullet at 3,000 fps through a 1-7 twist barrel fair even worse for the barrel?  Just curious... not trying to argue or prove you wrong on anything.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So if proven accuracy, proven reliability, and proven killing power out of a proven weapon design for proven combat ranges aren't sufficient standards for a service rifle then what is, exactly?  The ability to rock and roll with the weapon while smoking a cigar and saying smug quotes like "I don't have time to bleed"?

I don't get why the military is even going to a new system.  The whole reason why we've been using the current system for 50+ years is that no design has been found that does things better.  They may be equivalent but that doesn't mean it's better.  My money is on the .MIL trying out different systems and coming to the conclusion that spending money going to another cartridge that does exactly what the previous cartridge did will nix the whole program.  This whole argument over .300 BLK (or 6.5 Creedmore or 8.8 Flugzeugabwehrkanone or whatever) is moot.
View Quote
Hit potential.  Never overlook hit potential.

Hit potential with 300BLK is reduced compared to 5.56 within 300yds.

The military has been wanting increased hit potential past 500yds.

This is why 300BLK is dead on arrival from a military standpoint, outside of a very limited application among some units in SF who need to protect themselves when doing ADVON before their full ODA or Company deploy to a semi-permissive environment for both FID and UW.  A little 6-8" Suppressed PDW with a folding stock that can be concealed under civilian clothes is what they want for some officers and senior NCOs when they go coordinate with their counterparts in a hots nation that has intermittent hostilities, not a combat rifle load for the infantryman.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know nothing about the 6.8 SPC so I can't comment on it one way or the other.  If 6.8 SPC is that combat proven then why are they even fooling with 6.5 Creedmore?  What does 6.5 Creedmore have over 6.8 SPC?
View Quote
6.5 Creedmoor is a long action (think AR10) vs 6.8 SPC being a short action (think AR15) round. Creedmoor is a 1000+ yard round. SPC is 500ish.

I'm pretty sure these trials in which the .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor are being tested are to replace the 7.62mm M110. Not the 5.56mm M4.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
beat me too it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
joglee thread
beat me too it.
I like these threads for the debate.  I have nothing to contribute, but it's all very interesting.  Even if it is a "dupe", here we are, almost to page 3, so I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the range on one of those, 50 yards?

Why not just switch to 7.62x39?
I can shoot mine out to 300 yards.

And with the .300blk, you can use the standard m16 bcg and magazines at full capacity
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

And 500 yard hits are easy as pie with 5 56, which is better against armor, flatter shooting,  weighs less, and is more controllable in FA.

If they want to increase range a little, 6 5g or a 223 case necked up to 6.5 or .277 could be an option, but then you have heavier loadouts and less controllable FA.

5.56 is pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The cartridge will invariably be chambered in the general-issue carbine, designated marksman rifle and LMG.  So the replacement will have to do those 3 jobs better than 5.56 before we go and replace a round that has been NATO standard for half a century.

You don't have to sell a 300 BLK suppressed SBR.  You have to sell a 300 BLK belt fed LMG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hunting and military applications are completely different. In a supersonic role, .300 BLK is a watered down 7.62x39. Nothing more. It's inferior to the round the Soviets opted to move away from in 1974. It's an absolutely absurd idea to even suggest it as a general issue cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a general rule, when a cartridge goes below 2000 FPS, the temporary cavity goes down. This is not a hard and fast rule, as heavy slugs, 45-70s, and .458 SOCOM do have TC below 2000 - but it's a decent rule of thumb.

300blk tends to do this much sooner than 5.56 or 6.5G. Granted, within the first 100-150m the 300blk has more wounding potential. For strictly urban use - like clearing a building - the 300blk is great. For a general purpose infantry use, 5.56 actually does better. This is more so when you consider that BGs rarely stand still. When an enemy combatant is playing "pop the weasel" and randomly popping up to fire a burst, you want to be able to put your reticle/sight picture on him and squeeze - not wonder "Is he 150m or 200m away?" and have to range. 5.56 does a pretty good job at that, and the "poodle shooter" stereotype is fading now that we are fielding good ammo like M855A1.

I think 6.5G would be a better all-purpose round, but that's pretty expensive. Eventually, I think it will happen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#50]
For everyone talking about full auto fire, you don't do that as a rifleman, a Team Leader, Grenadier, Squad Leader, or anyone who is carrying an M4 in the line.

The only full auto weapons used on full auto are the machine-guns, and in a very controlled burst manner as to not burn your barrels or spend all your lifeline (ammo).

There isn't a need to mess with the M4's chambering.

There is a need to improve the chambering of our machine-guns, sniper rifles, and a void that needs to be filled with DM rifles-we don't have any or the doctrine to support one.

We need a projectile with a BC in the .55 G1/.28 G7 or higher region, that has sufficient retained energy to violently send secondary missiles on impact at distance (retained energy), with better reach than 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R, that is lighter, with lower working pressure.

Make that projectile in the form of M855A1 (already done with 6.5mm), and set up the lightweight LSAT LMG for it, while building an AR15-type DMR/Sniper System for the projectile.

Start with desired performance on target (starting with higher hit probability), then work back through the air to the weapon, and how you want that weapon to perform.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top