Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the plan for the sarcophagus and the remains of the nuke plant now?   Are they going to begin disassembling the thing and remove the more heavily contaminated elements - or are they going to leave it alone for the foreseeable future?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the plan for the sarcophagus and the remains of the nuke plant now?   Are they going to begin disassembling the thing and remove the more heavily contaminated elements - or are they going to leave it alone for the foreseeable future?
View Quote
The new shelter has some massive cranes built in to help with taking the whole thing apart.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The new shelter has some massive cranes built in to help with taking the whole thing apart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, in forty years or so, perhaps even sooner if certain technologies like walking androids come online the building might be completely disassembled allowing disassembly of the core.

Of course then we have to deal with the core remnants. Hopefully we will have developed some next generation nuclear reactors by that time that will give us some ideas on how to deal with that funky stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Within 200 years technology will decontaminate and reuse the fuel.
View Quote
Pretty much.  In 100-200 years we're either going to have some truly unbelievable tech, or fighting with sticks and stones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
87 million years, but Hiroshima and Nagasaki are GTG now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They run tours.  I would love to take one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far, I have not been allowed inside of the building. Maybe this year.

I would do it in the proper protective equipment.
They run tours.  I would love to take one.
I know. I have been there a few times..

I do private tours, and have been using the same guide.

He takes me places no one really gets to go, but he definitely can't get me in places like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I read this last year...was surprised they still had 3 reactors on line after the accident.
View Quote
1) they still needed the electricity

2) they still had not come to grips with the fact they couldn't save or salvage the problem.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty much.  In 100-200 years we're either going to have some truly unbelievable tech, or fighting with sticks and stones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah hopfully in 200 years we have Power Armor, Rad-X, and Rad-away. Then it wont be anything you cant fix with a stimpak.
In all seriousness I honestly cant believe how close people get to Chernobyl.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah hopfully in 200 years we have Power Armor, Rad-X, and Rad-away. Then it wont be anything you cant fix with a stimpak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, people live in the Chernobyl, just not the plant town, Pripyat. I wouldn't eat them mushrooms, though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Apart from bionerd23, Carl Willis also has some great videos touring the intact parts of Chernobyl. Here is a tour of the decommissioned reactor unit #2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

Try never.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, Chernobyl is worse. Fukushima is being way overhyped by the media and the anti nuke crowd.
View Quote
I'm as pro nuke as it gets and I don't agree with you at all. Now that the new safe confinement is in place, the risk of contamination leaving the Chernobyl site are way way down. The concern before was the reactor head would fall and stir up a cloud of dust. Admittidly there is a lot of stuff spread around the country side, but it's not going anywhere.

Fukushima has a huge water management problem. Dilution may be the solution to pollution, but I still don't want to be dumping a bunch of CS in the ocean. They can't keep the water out, and it's transporting contaminates out of the buildings. If it wasn't for that, I could care less about the melted cores. Can up the buildings and let it sit for a hundred years or so. The only way they are ever going to be able to retrieve that fuel is if the come up with a way to full the buildings with water or jello or something to provide shielding w/o it leaking out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Millions of years.

Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,100 years.  For U-235 it's 710 million years.
View Quote
Its not the super long half life stuff you worry about. If it's not decaying fast, it's not giving off as many zoomies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its not the super long half life stuff you worry about. If it's not decaying fast, it's not giving off as many zoomies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Millions of years.

Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,100 years.  For U-235 it's 710 million years.
Don't interrupt the usual ignorant circle jerk.

Next thing you know they will find out that their granite counters are radioactive too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top