Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2017 11:11:29 PM EDT
It is just one of thousands of shipwrecks. There have been worse wrecks. Many large ships have gone down since. What is it about the Titanic that draws people's interest and keeps it? Why is it such a compelling story even over 100 years after it went down?

Is it because of the legend of it being called "an unsinkable ship" and then going down on its maiden voyage? Is that it? Or is there more, something different?

BTW, here is a neat little video of the largest scale model of the Titanic, complete with moving parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFa2QFxcpJU
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Media sensation at the time of the sinking, then it was perfect material for movies. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

I used to live next-door to the Titanic cemetery when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, it's hard to say.  I was obsessed with the Titanic when I read about the discovery of the wreck in 1980 or so and learned the story when I was 6 years old.  My grandma was living with us at the time and she was born in 1910, and that was the first time I kind of tried to relate to someone I knew who was old to a past event when they were young. "Grandma was 2 years old when the Titanic sank."

I bought a plastic model of the Titanic, and a found out another kid on the block basically did the same thing when he found out about the story of Titanic.  It fascinated him too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hollywood turned it into one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably due to the wealthy casualties, combined with it happening right when film, radio and fast long distance communication were taking off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414440/IMG-0284-212235.JPG

View Quote
Isn't it in Canada?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Extra points for those who played "Search for the Titanic" in the late 80's
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Isn't it in Canada?
View Quote
yep, Fairview in Halifax.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't that an insurance scam or something??
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Large loss of life that was preventable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably due to the wealthy casualties, combined with it happening right when film, radio and fast long distance communication were taking off.
View Quote
Yeah, it seems interesting  set in the early 1900s. A lot of people like the victorian era.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Extra points for those who played "Search for the Titanic" in the late 80's
View Quote
Yo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Because it was in Ghostbusters 2
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Because the band played on...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a combination of things.

Largest ship at the time
Coined as being unsinkable
Maiden voyage
Full of interesting and influential people at the time
A massive ship sunk by an easily avoidable but still dangerous chunk of ice
It took a long time to sink in a calm ocean, this let the human dramas unfold.
Enough survivors to tell the tale
It sank sorta interestingly breaking up on the surface
Wasn't found for 70 years as a sort of mystery

Basically it's a perfect setting for a movie.  2 hr run time of drama and character development.

A ship that sinks in rough seas or capsizes from some human error in just a few minutes just isn't as interesting of a story.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
It went down slow enough for a bunch of drama to unfold.

The band playing.

Wealthy men wearing their best outfits to go down with the ship in.

Daddies saying goodbye to their wives and children. 

No panic until the end.

I think it makes us all wonder if we'd handle being in that situation, with as much grace is a lot of them did.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Very large loss of life

Completely preventable on many, many levels, from the lookouts not having binoculars to the lack of lifeboats (this makes it very good case study in risk management and similar fields)

Seminal event for sweeping changes in maritime safety regulations

She was a modern marvel in terms of speed, size and luxury that came to a tragic end

A good bit of mystique given that her wreckage was not found for 70 years

All of that stuff makes for a good story.

On the other hand, it's kind of strange what makes a disaster "stick" in the minds of history.  For instance, everyone has heard of the "Hindenburg Disaster" but I guarantee you if you asked 10 people about the "Tenerife Disaster" you would get 10 blank stares.  The Hindenburg killed 36; 583 died in the Canary islands when two 747s collided on the ground in 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]
When some jackass says, "God Himself can't sink this boat"* and it sinks...people take note.

*it was some variation of this quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very large loss of life

Completely preventable on many, many levels, from the lookouts not having binoculars to the lack of lifeboats (this makes it very good case study in risk management and similar fields)

She was a modern marvel in terms of speed, size and luxury that came to a tragic end

On the other hand, it's kind of strange what makes a disaster "stick" in the minds of history.  For instance, everyone has heard of the "Hindenburg Disaster" but I guarantee you if you asked 10 people about the "Tenerife Disaster" you would get 10 blank stares.  The Hindenburg killed 31; 583 died in the Canary islands when two 747s collided on the ground in 1977.

View Quote
That's easy. There was news coverage of the disaster as it unfolded.  With film and audio of the whole thing.

The Tenerife has no footage of it happening.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's easy. There was news coverage of the disaster as it unfolded.  With film and audio of the whole thing.

The Tenerife has no footage of it happening.
View Quote
I don't necessarily disagree, but to the point of the thread, there aren't even photographs of the Titanic going down.

Another aviation disaster that most have forgotten is UAL 232.  There's footage of that, and the fact that more people survived than died was nothing short of a miracle.  Those pilots literally did the impossible.

And on the other hand, US 1549 will probably never be forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was a big deal way before the movie. I was fascinated by it as a kid in the 70's.
View Quote
In elementary school, we'd go to the library every week. I remember looking for an book on the Titanic.

That was before seeing ANY movie about it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad to see you posting, OP.

(Maybe you've been posting for a while but I hadn't seen any of them)
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
For those who have read Clive Cussler's "Raise the Titanic", DO NOT seek out and watch the movie!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Glad to see you posting, OP.

(Maybe you've been posting for a while but I hadn't seen any of them)
View Quote
I took a couple years off.

Thanks for the kind words, sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of the movie, despite its reputation as something of a chick flick I think Titanc is a great movie.  I especially appreciate the attention to minor technical details... for instance, in the scene where the Deck Officer orders "hard to starboard" the helmsman turns the wheel to port.  This was actually a holdover from the times when ships had large tillers and moving the tiller to starboard would turn the ship to port.  Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I love it when movies get little shit like this right.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was a big deal way before the movie. I was fascinated by it as a kid in the 70's.
View Quote
There was a movie made less than a month after it happened.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't necessarily disagree, but to the point of the thread, there aren't even photographs of the Titanic going down.

Another aviation disaster that most have forgotten is UAL 232.  There's footage of that, and the fact that more people survived than died was nothing short of a miracle.  Those pilots literally did the impossible.

And on the other hand, US 1549 will probably never be forgotten.
View Quote
Just like I mentioned in my first reply. Titanic took a long time to sink allowing for lots of drama and build up to the inevitable to unfold.

Air disasters are over relatively quickly and don't leave much for human decision or emotion other then terror. Especially considering most people picture themselves as a passenger and not a pilot. People just can't really connect with that.

Look at flight 93. There's a movie about that but not flight 800.  Even though twa 800 exploding killed more people.  It's because of the human drama unfolding, not the act of the disaster itself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#30]
For me, it's because I used to cut the grass of one of the female survivors back in the early 70s.
Pisses me off to this day that I can't remember her name.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I couldn't care less about it, but my wife wanted to go to the Titanic museum in Branson while we were down there.

It was VERY good. I was totally blown away.

I walked away understanding why it is such a great story.

If you have the chance check it out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I couldn't care less about it, but my wife wanted to go to the Titanic museum in Branson while we were down there.
It was VERY good. I was totally blown away.
I walked away understanding why it is such a great story.
If you have the chance check it out.
View Quote
I've been there too, and really enjoyed it. I've been interested in Titanic since I was a kid though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I was fortunate enough to see the Titanic Museum when it was in Vegas. The "big piece" is really something to see, and it's only a very small portion of the ship. Yes, I've seen yuuuge ships in real life, but they show a little square on a diagram of what piece you're looking at. It's a trip. I also have a piece of coal from inside the ship, it's the only legal artifact that can be owned from the Titanic. I too was obsessed with it as a kid, I'm not really sure why. It was long before the DiCaprio movie, but I do remember being able to find and check out books from the school library about it.

ETA: "The big piece"

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Because it was billed as the "unsinkable" ship.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Man against nature.   Its not just a ship that sunk, it was a brand new, unsinkable ship that sunk.  All of the errors, from the decision to maintain high speed to keep a schedule/set a record, to the too small rudders, to the faulty design with bulkheads that could flood over, to not enough lifeboats.  Mans hubris is always fascinating.

I used to check out a book from the local library when i was a boy, it had very large plans in the endpapers that you couod open, very detailed.  This was probably 1972 or so, way before the dicaprio fiom, obviously.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a combination of things.

Largest ship at the time
Coined as being unsinkable
Maiden voyage
Full of interesting and influential people at the time
A massive ship sunk by an easily avoidable but still dangerous chunk of ice
It took a long time to sink in a calm ocean, this let the human dramas unfold.
Enough survivors to tell the tale
It sank sorta interestingly breaking up on the surface
Wasn't found for 70 years as a sort of mystery

Basically it's a perfect setting for a movie.  2 hr run time of drama and character development.

A ship that sinks in rough seas or capsizes from some human error in just a few minutes just isn't as interesting of a story.
View Quote
All this, but most importantly, the time period is fascinating.  Pre WWI to post WWI, everything changed in our world.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm going to disagree with many here saying its because of those who died, but rather I'm going to say it became such a memorable story because people LIVED.

Because there were survivors there were stories of horrors and triumphs through the unspeakable struggles that captivate an audience. Those stories people want to hear, so they last and books and movies get made and it becomes a memorable part of history.

I'd bet dollars to donuts if not a single soul survived we wouldn't even have hardly heard about it, but maybe once or twice in a history class.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very large loss of life

On the other hand, it's kind of strange what makes a disaster "stick" in the minds of history.  For instance, everyone has heard of the "Hindenburg Disaster" but I guarantee you if you asked 10 people about the "Tenerife Disaster" you would get 10 blank stares.  The Hindenburg killed 36; 583 died in the Canary islands when two 747s collided on the ground in 1977.

View Quote
Most pilots and history channel type people, know about Tenerife.  I get your point, but it certainly isn't as obscure as you think.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Because there was room on that god damned door for 2 people.  What a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I went on a bear hunting trip in Nova Scotia in 1998, when the world was still talking about the movie, so it was at the fore front of many conversations.  Hunting was not all that great the first week we were there, so our guide asked if we wanted to visit the Titanic museum, sure why not.

So the first place we visited was the cemetery and it was an odd place, if you stand in the middle of the section where some of those killed in the disaster are buried, you can't hear a damn thing, all of the street noises disappear and it is just a tranquil quiet!

Then we visited the museum, it was sobering, very quiet, nice displays and many items that were recovered from the sinking that were floating on the surface, there was a wooden lounge chair that was on the deck in first class that was grasped so hard by a human hand, you could still see the finger imprints in the wood, many personal items that were recovered after the wreck was located, watches, combs, hair brushes, spoons, forks, plates, etc.  They told a story that we don't often get to see from that time frame in history.

Going to the cemetery and the museum was almost like a religious experience, I imagine something like visiting the Vatican or Jerusalem.  It was odd, neat, sobering and worth it, I would recommend it to anyone that goes to Nova Scotia..Well worth the time, it helps explain some of the mystery and intrigue behind the movies and stories.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Because there was room on that god damned door for 2 people.  What a bitch.
View Quote
There was room in the lifeboats for everybody.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There was room in the lifeboats for everybody.
View Quote
Nooooo.  The richies need leg room. But that fucking door... What a selfish bitch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#43]
No actually the way the lifeboats were configured, there were not enough for everybody on board, a lot more could have been put in the life boats, but they stated they figured at least 900 would have still went into the ocean.

It was under equipped for the number of people that were on the ship.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Speaking of the movie, despite its reputation as something of a chick flick I think Titanc is a great movie.  I especially appreciate the attention to minor technical details... for instance, in the scene where the Deck Officer orders "hard to starboard" the helmsman turns the wheel to port.  This was actually a holdover from the times when ships had large tillers and moving the tiller to starboard would turn the ship to port.  Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I love it when movies get little shit like this right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9VDvAQ-1k
View Quote
other than the abominable, george lucas-level harlequin romance dialogue, it was masterful filmmaking.

as for the OP's question, it was one of the original and most compelling cautionary tales about the dangerous seductiveness of technology, right smack dab in the middle of the transition from pioneer days to modern industrial society.  if you think of it as an old-timey sci-fi story, you won't be far wrong.  then add the human drama to the morality play, and you have one of the greatest stories ever told...that actually happened.  

would be interesting to try to discern ripple effects from the titanic in terms of how we approach technology.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Man against nature.   Its not just a ship that sunk, it was a brand new, unsinkable ship that sunk.  All of the errors, from the decision to maintain high speed to keep a schedule/set a record, to the too small rudders, to the faulty design with bulkheads that could flood over, to not enough lifeboats.  Mans hubris is always fascinating.
View Quote
this too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

other than the abominable, george lucas-level harlequin romance dialogue, it was masterful filmmaking.

as for the OP's question, it was one of the original and most compelling cautionary tales about the dangerous seductiveness of technology, right smack dab in the middle of the transition from pioneer days to modern industrial society.  if you think of it as an old-timey sci-fi story, you won't be far wrong.  then add the human drama to the morality play, and you have one of the greatest stories ever told...that actually happened.  

would be interesting to try to discern ripple effects from the titanic in terms of how we approach technology.
View Quote
The Titanic tragedy, pretty much changed everything in the maritime industry...
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was fortunate enough to see the Titanic Museum when it was in Vegas. The "big piece" is really something to see, and it's only a very small portion of the ship. Yes, I've seen yuuuge ships in real life, but they show a little square on a diagram of what piece you're looking at. It's a trip. I also have a piece of coal from inside the ship, it's the only legal artifact that can be owned from the Titanic. I too was obsessed with it as a kid, I'm not really sure why. It was long before the DiCaprio movie, but I do remember being able to find and check out books from the school library about it.

ETA: "The big piece"

https://jasonhbratton76.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/big-piece.jpg
View Quote
I've been there.  Went last year at the luxor
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#49]
You mean it's a true story??
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414440/IMG-0284-212235.JPG

View Quote
Pretty big place, huh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top