Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Where do I know that guy from?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Some do, no doubt. But plenty of non pot smokers do too. I don't see pot as the only cause of that.

Keep trying to vilify the weed...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No pot heads just neglect their families
Some do, no doubt. But plenty of non pot smokers do too. I don't see pot as the only cause of that.

Just like alcohol doesn't cause guys to beat their wife's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd rather somebody smoke weed than get shitfaced drunk. A cop buddy of mine always says: "I've responded to tons of domestics where drunks beat the shit out of family members. I've yet to respond to a 'smoked a joint and beat up family members' call."
View Quote
Well, considering the number of alcoholics is greater than the number of people who smoke pot in the US, in addition to your buddy being a sample size of one, that isn't exactly a reliable "Fact".

For example.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not saying it does, but there sure seems to be a much higher occurrence of drunk domestic vs weed domestics. This is an observation of numerous LEO's I know from varied departments from local to state to federal. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, considering the number of alcoholics is greater than the number of people who smoke pot in the US, in addition to your buddy being a sample size of one, that isn't exactly a reliable "Fact".

For example.
View Quote
Again, I defer to the experince of numerous cops in various depts and orgs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Again, I defer to the experince of numerous cops in various depts and orgs.
View Quote
Which is statically irrelevant.

I'm sure people on muscle relaxers have lower rates of domestic violence as well. Maybe we can throw those in too, because muh freedoms.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not saying it does, but there sure seems to be a much higher occurrence of drunk domestic vs weed domestics. This is an observation of numerous LEO's I know from varied departments from local to state to federal. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because there are more assholes who drink than smoke. I'm sure if they smoked they'd act the same way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
are we demanding government provided alcohol to treat PTSD?

Probably a better argument could be made than for pot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Free the weed. It makes zero sense in any respect at this point.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is statically irrelevant.

I'm sure people on muscle relaxers have lower rates of domestic violence as well. Maybe we can throw those in too, because muh freedoms.
View Quote
Fair enough. I'll, again, defer to the experienced LEO's who deal with violent shitbirds on a regular basis. That coupled with my experiences with pot smokers in high school/college: they didn't seem to cause the problems that drunks did. But I never really bought into the reefer madness bullshit either. I've been enlisted for 19 years now and can't smoke weed so I might not be the best person to judge.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a paramedic and firefighter for the last 25+ years I have seen plenty of stoners have attitude problems.  They aren't as mellow as the stoner sympathizers on here make them out to be.

I would also add I have known plenty of stoners in my private life over the years, found out at one point that I lived with one.  My experience is they are no more mellow than anybody else overall.  Mellow people are mellow.  Assholes are assholes. 

But pot needles, I so couldn't wait to say that because it is just so cool.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to see their fucking service record first.
View Quote
No combat but was crushed in a cattle car to the point of passing out like happens at concerts that go bad.  So self appointed MRB do I qualify?  I could not even get under a car after that or a small room without standing near an exit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe because there are more assholes who drink than smoke. I'm sure if they smoked they'd act the same way.
View Quote
I don't know. I actually don't think that would be the case based on my limited experience with pot smokers and my vast experience people drinking. Again: there has to be something to a lot of people saying that their experience, on the whole, with weed smokers is non violent. These are people who's opinions I fully trust on any and all other matters concerning their experiences in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fwiw I don't think Dr's should prescribe either. I think both should be legal along with meth and coke.

Thinking that any of these, including opiods can treat PTSD is ignorant.

When a Dr who has experienced PTSD from combat can tell me that one of these drugs helped his PTSD logically I'll be willing to listen.

All the Dr's I've worked with have been intelligent, and able to communicate in a way that I can understand.  I'm sure if it helped them then they could convince me of it's worth. I would back them 100% if they did.

I'm a nobody so it's irrelevant but an interesting mental experiment
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a paramedic and firefighter for the last 25+ years I have seen plenty of stoners have attitude problems.  They aren't as mellow as the stoner sympathizers on here make them out to be.

I would also add I have known plenty of stoners in my private life over the years, found out at one point that I lived with one.  My experience is they are no more mellow than anybody else overall.  Mellow people are mellow.  Assholes are assholes. 

View Quote
Fair enough. There's at least one mark in the "stoners are violent like drunks" category to counterbalance the assertion by many others in the LEO/EMT fields.  I bring this up because it's one of the questions I find that comes up with cops almost everytime I am around them shooting the shit.  Almost all of them agree that weed is just not important to them. They all say that they would rather deal with a guy that just smoked a couple joints over a guy that just drank a twelve pack. Again, I'm going off the opinions of these professionals in their fields.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know. I actually don't think that would be the case based on my limited experience with pot smokers and my vast experience people drinking. Again: there has to be something to a lot of people saying that their experience, on the whole, with weed smokers is non violent. These are people who's opinions I fully trust on any and all other matters concerning their experiences in law enforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most violent pt I've ever had was a stoner.

All durring nursing school I bounced. Drunks are easy to handle. Stoners are a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This! I'll bet they where dirt bags when they were in.

You want to legalize pot? Go ahead don't tell me it helps Vets with PTSD.
View Quote
I was SSG promotable in 48 months (min at the time) and BNCOC graduate a few months after with an MSM as an E-5.  Yep dirt ball.  Made SSG with 798 but got out. Only 2 others in my corps made the magic 798.  I am probably a dirt ball wanting anything to stop the pain from injuries. Graduated with honors all except BNOC including identifier schools.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Who provides the pot is an issue I will avoid.  

If a vet believes pot helps improve his quality of life while dealing with PTSD, I do not care if his improvement is real, or only "in his mind", because the PTSD is "in his mind" too.  So if the help from pot use is real, or imagined, if the vet believes their quality of life has improved, I am fine with them using pot.  They could do far worse things to their quality of life.

As for LE dealing with pot smokers VS alcohol, meth, or something else...  I spent 25 years in LE, and would rather have to deal with someone high on pot than high on just about anything else.  But, assholes are assholes whether they use pot or something else.  Pot does NOT turn an asshole into some cooperative gentleman.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was SSG promotable in 48 months (min at the time) and BNCOC graduate a few months after with an MSM as an E-5.  Yep dirt ball.  Made SSG with 798 but got out. Only 2 others in my corps made the magic 798.  I am probably a dirt ball wanting anything to stop the pain from injuries. Graduated with honors all except BNOC including identifier schools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! I'll bet they where dirt bags when they were in.

You want to legalize pot? Go ahead don't tell me it helps Vets with PTSD.
Treating pain makes sense
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
IDGAF.

Legalize it.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather somebody smoke weed that get shitfaced drunk. A cop buddy of mine always says: "I've responded to tons of domestics where drunks beat the shit out of family members. I've yet to respond to a 'smoked a joint and beat up family members' call."
LOL
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fair enough. There's at least one mark in the "stoners are violent like drunks" category to counterbalance the assertion by many others in the LEO/EMT fields.  I bring this up because it's one of the questions I find that comes up with cops almost everytime I am around them shooting the shit.  Almost all of them agree that weed is just not important to them. They all say that they would rather deal with a guy that just smoked a couple joints over a guy that just drank a twelve pack. Again, I'm going off the opinions of these professionals in their fields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude I lived with was brother of my friend.  They asked me to move in when I needed a place.  We agreed on a monthly rent price.  Preagreed on what I would pay, rent was "all inclusive".  That was fine, it was a fair price to him.  All was good.  Then he brazenly decided he didn't care if I knew he was a stoner, which I DID NOT KNOW PRIOR.  Always thought he was a mellow dude.  Apparently my moving in afforded him more discretionary income.  

I started finding him bonging in the garage.  Well at least he did it in his garage, but I work for a fire dept....time to start looking for a new place.   Over the course of the next two months I found him getting high more and more.  My last month there big blow, accused me of not paying bills.  His phone (land line) was about to be cut off and the water had been cut off that morning.  

I paid the water bill to turn it back on.  He accused me of using his phone and owing him money, I paid 1/3 of the bill that month, to which he thought I should pay more.  He had gone from mellow to full on DICK.  The day I am moving, he knew I was moving, my buddy helping me move saw the purple light emitting from his bedroom and he went charging in, I had to drag him out, but not before seeing two early stage small trees growing in his closet.  This was 25+ years ago.  

Dude went from decent nice mellow guy to dick/pot head with anger management.  

Before those who say I must have been a douche, I always asked if I owed any more than my agreed upon rent.  I always paid for groceries.  I was never there, because I spent most of my time at my wife to be place.  Not sure what I could have done that would have set him off.  But I noticed the more he smoked the bigger a dick he became.  

My experience only, YMMV.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fair enough. I'll, again, defer to the experienced LEO's who deal with violent shitbirds on a regular basis. That coupled with my experiences with pot smokers in high school/college: they didn't seem to cause the problems that drunks did. But I never really bought into the reefer madness bullshit either. I've been enlisted for 19 years now and can't smoke weed so I might not be the best person to judge.
View Quote
But what if it's booze and pot?

Like this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't have to "vilify"  Marijuana, it vilifies itself. the drug creates dependent, apathetic  lazy paranoid couch potatoes

I have been saying sine 2004 that the big push to get veterans to claim PTSD was a scam to make it so combat vets cannot own guns.

Now medical pot for those that claim PTSD will make it illegal for those vets who partake to own firearms.
Obama's lackeys were particularly fearful of veterans, and this is a continuance of those policies

But I am sure you pot smoking, never served , uninjured-internet trolls are all so much more aware of what is going on in the VA than I
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IDGAF.

Legalize it.  
View Quote
This.

Just don't smoke it around me, or in public  (where smoking cigs would be banned anyway) and cry "mah medical condition ".

Don't leave the house then, or get edibles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
OP be trolling
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

Just don't smoke it around me, or in public  (where smoking cigs would be banned anyway) and cry "mah medical condition ".

View Quote
Wait, was it a thread on arfcom where a dude was getting chastised for complaining because his entire apartment reeked of pot because of his neighbors, and everyone was like "deal with it you're in Colorado".
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#29]
this Russia hacking crap has me peeved, I need medical pot too
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wait, was it a thread on arfcom where a dude was getting chastised for complaining because his entire apartment reeked of pot because of his neighbors, and everyone was like "deal with it you're in Colorado".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yup.

Plenty of MYOB types.  

I loved that thread.   "His pot rights!"
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
If a vet went through living hell in a war serving America, and wants to smoke weed to ease his pain and anguish, I say give it to him, dammit.

WTF is wrong with you people?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If a vet went through living hell in a war serving America, and wants to smoke weed to ease his pain and anguish, I say give it to him, dammit.

View Quote
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, what else do you approve of that isn't necessarily good for them?

What is wrong with NOT prescribing something that might actually further their pain or misery?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cite?

There is no correlation between PTSD claims and being in close combat.

The oh so famous marine who got caught growing pot in Oklahoma and chasing his wife with a knife didn't.  And he is, literally, the get high for PTSD poster boy.

of course, the fact he was a pot head before he joined the marines somehow isn't mentioned much.

The big deal is people willing to lie about getting PTSD are willing to lie about how the magic weed will cure everything.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I stumped my toe this morning and now have PTSD
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I stumped my toe this morning and now have PTSD
View Quote
Blaze it.  Fix your toe, your PTSD and make you a rock singer.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread and some of the responses are why republicans are a joke. Such champions of personal choice , responsibility , freedom and liberty... unless I don't like it. Just like a group of fucking liberals.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I want to see their fucking service record first.
View Quote
NO!
Even if you're qualified your anger issues disqualify you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#39]
My group therapy circle had this conversation with our shrink.
His response was that he is neither for or against medical marijuana, but at this time there is no clinical evidence (other than anecdotal) that marijuana is useful for treatment.
He also restated VA policy, which is that it's illegal under federal law and therefore not a VA option.
Myself I am on the fence about it. I doubt I'd use it even if it were legal and prescribed, for the same reason I avoid any medication if I can - I don't need anything messing with my body chemistry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This thread and some of the responses are why republicans are a joke. Such champions of personal choice , responsibility , freedom and liberty... unless I don't like it. Just like a group of fucking liberals.
View Quote
yep, you are right.  You are so far ahead of the curve.  You should be given a medal or a sash for teaching us how wrong we are.  

While we are at it, I don't so much have a problem with legalizing "weed".  I have a problem with this genetic engineered FARCE "in the name of medicine" that is crazy more powerful than the stuff my buddies smoked in the 70's and 80's.  I hate dishonesty.  I hate idiots MAKING UP the next great medical use, for some genetically engineered plant that could never have been found wild, ALL IN THE NAME OF GETTING STONED WITHOUT THE STIGMA OF BEING CALLED A STONER.

That is what most of them are, stoners looking for a reason, not a treatment.

Could MJ have a medicinal use...sure.  Is it necessary to create more powerful strains for the perfect high along the way...hell no.  Just what STONERS DO THOUGH.

TL:DR----I hate it when people lie about shit to get their way
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Drug seekers. There's plenty of non psychactive drugs that work for PTSD.

Propranolol treatment of traumatic memories

Almost a decade ago, Nader et al (2000) rekindled the reconsolidation hypothesis of memory. In brief, it proposes that when long-term memories are reactivated through retrieval, they remain labile for several hours before conversion to long-term memory. During this period they are susceptible to amnestic agents such as propranolol. It is thought that propranolol blocks the adrenaline-induced state of high arousal, which is believed to be important in giving traumatic memories their unique quality, including the potency and immediacy they possess (Pitman, 1989).
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't care about pot, but I am sick and tired of vets being treated as special snowflakes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well said-who are we to pass judgement on those dealing with PTSD issue.Walk a block  in their jock before you play God as to what they should do.Its their decision-not yours or mine
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Drug seekers. There's plenty of non psychactive drugs that work for PTSD.

Propranolol treatment of traumatic memories

Treatment with prescription meds is largely ineffective and with major side effects
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well said-who are we to pass judgement on those dealing with PTSD issue.Walk a block  in their jock before you play God as to what they should do.Its their decision-not yours or mine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we should tell that snorting a line of Drano will help and let them make up their own mind about it?  

I am all for helping them, experimental if necessary.  From what I have seen, objectively, it is iffy whether it is good for them or makes them worse.  Handing it out like candy is not the answer at this point.  

If we give them something to help, let's at least do our diligence to make sure it actually helps and not worsens it.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who provides the pot is an issue I will avoid.  

If a vet believes pot helps improve his quality of life while dealing with PTSD, I do not care if his improvement is real, or only "in his mind", because the PTSD is "in his mind" too.  So if the help from pot use is real, or imagined, if the vet believes their quality of life has improved, I am fine with them using pot.  They could do far worse things to their quality of life.
View Quote
Strongly agree.

There is no test for determining pain.
I function better on meds than without them.
We know marijuana oil calms seizures in children.

Let Vets use whatever helps them without punishment

Our City and County recently decriminalized small amounts of pot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
yep, you are right.  You are so far ahead of the curve.  You should be given a medal or a sash for teaching us how wrong we are.  

While we are at it, I don't so much have a problem with legalizing "weed".  I have a problem with this genetic engineered FARCE "in the name of medicine" that is crazy more powerful than the stuff my buddies smoked in the 70's and 80's.  I hate dishonesty.  I hate idiots MAKING UP the next great medical use, for some genetically engineered plant that could never have been found wild, ALL IN THE NAME OF GETTING STONED WITHOUT THE STIGMA OF BEING CALLED A STONER.

Could MJ have a medicinal use...sure.  Is it necessary to create more powerful strains for the perfect high along the way...hell no.  Just what STONERS DO THOUGH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree it may not be a miracle drug or is being toted as something greater than  it really is, your delivery makes you lose any credibility and is right out of the liberal playbook. In this and previous replies you try to classify anyone who supports legalizing pot or smokes it as stupid, lazy and "stoners". Trying to marginalize and  minimize the legitimacy of what is counter to your own bias.  By your classification anyone who has drank alcohol must be an alcoholic,  or anyone who has taken prescription pills must be a pill head, and if you own guns you must be mental and possibly the next mass shooter. Just because these people may be the most vocal doesn't mean they are representative of the majority of people who use or support pot. Just like I am sure dumb fuck's like James Yeager or Dylan Roof don't represent you as a firearms enthusiast. If there is merit to your argument there is no need to attempt to marginalize the opposition is just weakens your own stance and makes you look desperate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ive seen what weed does for a nam vet and im all for my fellow vets having it medically, especially over that shit opiate crap.
View Quote
Same here. Small sample size, but it definitely helped.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top