Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd be an asshole too if you knew the light at the end of your tunnel was New Jersey.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shit...you should see what these texans call food.

At least they have BOARS HEAD COLD CUTS!
They got them in fla also...they sell it in publix.
View Quote
Was at Ft. Hood for 18 months 94-95 time frame. Some good stuff, lots of bad stuff, very little great stuff. Had rattlesnake there when I supported an aviation battalion field exorcise. That guy could cook ( a native Texan )

Must have boars head...... I love Publix. Great place.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You'd be an asshole too if you knew the light at the end of your tunnel was New Jersey.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Baldwin, left to go to college in Vermont and never really went back.

I have a love/hate relationship with  Long Island and NYC in general. My mom and half my family is still there so i go back a few times a year.

A friend of my sisters once said "New Yorkers are simultaneously both the nicest and nastiest people you will ever meet". I tend to agree with that.
If you cross them, God help you. They can be really pissy and whiny about little inconveniences. But when a big crisis hits there is no one I'd rather be next to. Google "Boat evacuation 9/11"  to see what Im talking about.

If you need help they will give you the shirt off their backs, after they stop bitching about whatever caused the need for help LOL.
When my Dad was dying of cancer the neighbors were amazingly helpful. Mix of old white people, young black people, a Hindu and a Muslim all were right there with anything we needed.  In my neighborhood in Vermont the people are far more reserved and I'd maybe have  gotten a bundt cake and a brief wave as they passed by in their car and thats about it .

I was down there for Hurricane Sandy as my dad had had a minor stroke the day of the storm and ended up in a hospital in the evac zone, and my mom was FREAKING out. Their power came back on just as I got there but we loaned the genny I had brought to an Indian family down the block and it kept them alive (they had 2 disabled family members)  for nearly 2 weeks.  It was me and 6 guys from the surrounding streets figuring out how to hook it to their furnace, and half the neighborhood turned out to watch LOL.  It was actually pretty great.

I stood on line with a gas can for gas one morning and the drivers in line were alternately threatening to kill line-jumpers and offering me a seat in their car so I could warm up LOL. I couldn't stop laughing at the contrast.

I never really fit 100% down there and still don't, there is too much materialism there and its too damn crowded.  And yeah there are a ton of obnoxious "guidos" and whiny libtards. But dig a little deeper and you will also find some real good people who, once you get past the cranky outer shell, have hearts of gold.

And yeah, no one makes pizza like NYers do. The only pizza I'll eat up here is made by guys who relocated from Huntington and Bay Shore. LOL .

Just my $.02.
CG

P.S. I am glad I grew up there, I think it gave me a level of adaptability and flexibility I may not have developed otherwise, though clearly theres no way to test that hypothesis. I'm not afraid of much, after living down there in the 70s and 80s.  Hubby, on the other hand, grew up in rural northern VT and freaks out every time we get near a city.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check. Hell down here you have to watch yourself. You order a Greek salad and they put potato salad in it. FTW is this crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the past tense because I USED to live there. I am certain it is still epic!!!

But just try to get decent sweet tea or biscuits and gravy....
Check. Hell down here you have to watch yourself. You order a Greek salad and they put potato salad in it. FTW is this crap.
I ate at a Greek place today.  The owner is a great guy and his salads are excellent. But it is not a diner.  He is Orthodox and has seen me praying before I eat and making the sign of the Cross...and wondered if I was orthodox too.  Nice guy and good food.

Southern Barbecue is excellent and Wilber's  in Goldsboro, NC makes a fantastic BBQ sandwich and excellent slaw and hushpuppies.

The NC shrimp at the 42nd street oyster bar in Raleigh is also epic grade since it is fresh from the coast. The Sanitary Fish market in Morehead city Has superior fried shrimp and hushpuppies as well.

But the best fried chicken on earth comes from the Chicken Place in Ireland, IN.  I have taken a couple of southerners there and they had to agree.  Nothing beats deep fried in lard chicken from the farm down the road.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was at Ft. Hood for 18 months 94-95 time frame. Some good stuff, lots of bad stuff, very little great stuff. Had rattlesnake there when I supported an aviation battalion field exorcise. That guy could cook ( a native Texan )

Must have boars head...... I love Publix. Great place.
View Quote
Publix, yeah miss that place.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would you be happy living in New York OP?

A.W.D.
View Quote
This ^^^

When you pack people like eggs in a carton for too long they get kinda grumpy.

But they're on the coast, and we're just flyover people.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then who are all those people heading west every weekday morning on the LIE, Northern State, and Southern State?
View Quote
I guess, based on my experience, that they're all people who moved to LI from somewhere else...?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the op.   I'm an asshole and everyone I know is also an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess, based on my experience, that they're all people who moved to LI from somewhere else...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then who are all those people heading west every weekday morning on the LIE, Northern State, and Southern State?
 Driving on the LIE to get to Kennedy sucked big time.  I hate that road.  The Taconic Parkway was way more fun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I like to wander in Manhattan, look at the buildings and enjoy the pizza in the Times Square area.  I like bikes, so looking at what the bike messengers are riding is good too.  It's a great place for a walkabout.

Jersey can be pretty, though getting off and then back on a highway can be difficult, their roads are pretty convoluted sometimes.  When in Hoboken, go to Carlo's Bakery for munchies (expect to stand in line).

Yeah, people up there think of themselves as smart, but they vote extremely stupid.  Other than that, they can be OK.

Almost forgot, be sure and go to B&H camera for a look around, if you like cameras.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wah wah wah wah derp derp derp wah wah derp derp

I met two guys and I didn't like them

wah wah wah

Wash the sand out of your vagina
View Quote
Such a classy response.....from a New Yorker
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am all but convinced that the guy in that video was a short timer we hired a few years ago. Looks/talks exactly like him and was also from NY (a fact he reminded people of every 30 seconds or so.
He also had a wee bit of a heroin problem, that is why we canned his ass.
View Quote
Maybe he got hooked on opioids after that severe beat down. My favorite part of that beat down was that while his buddy was beating the NY'er the smaller guy was hyping the ass beating in real time. I wish that guy would call the MMA matches instead of Joe Rogan.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've had to work with a couple of guys from NYC on separate projects.  Both were the dumbest people I've met in the industry.  But they are both good at reminding you they came from NYC and try to explain how things are done there.

You guys are 0 for 2.  I'm not saying NYC is full of assholes, but NYC is full of assholes
View Quote

...because people in large cities can live fairly anonymous lives.  No worries about running into the person you were an arse to the day before. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
As a former Bostonian, I was brought up to pretty much hate New Yorkers.

After living in Florida and seeing so many, I see good reason why.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I like to wander in Manhattan, look at buildings and enjoy the pizza in the Times Square area.  I like bikes, so looking at what the bike messengers are riding is good too.  It's a great place for a walkabout.

Jersey can be pretty, though getting off and then back on a highway can be difficult, their roads are pretty convoluted sometimes.  When in Hoboken, go to Carlo's Bakery for munchies (expect to stand in line).

Yeah, people up there think of themselves as smart, but they vote extremely stupid.  Other than that, they can be OK.

Almost forgot, be sure and go to B&H camera for a look around, if you like cameras.[/quot

B&H is a great place. I have purchased a bunch of stuff from them recently.  Great people there.  I visited it long ago...amazing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's fucking NY.  I'm just so embarrassed by the fuck heads that live downstate, that I refuse to list it.  My family still owns the land up here that was deeded to my direct forefather for fighting in the revolutionary war.  Always thought I'd be buried in the same cemetery as him, but now I'm so sick of NYS fucking me in the ass that I can't wait to get the fuck out of here.  I sincerely hope enough people leave to destabilize the state economy and crash the fucking state pension system.

There.  Now what?
View Quote
You could still be buried there, you'll just vote democrat is all
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Two years ago, a friend of mine here had his daughter (early 20's) meet a guy online from NY and moved out here. He was telling us about it and how the guy seemed ok.

I chimed in with , "Yeah....but I can tell you that will all change and it will end in disaster. Guaranteed." I got scornful looks from the rest of the group, never having dealt with Mupfers before. I was told that my remark was insensitive and callous.

6 months later, the guy cleaned out her accounts and was gone.

People who have never dealt with them just don't see the pattern or know how they are. Even 1000 miles away, If I even detect a hint of that accent, I walk away and refuse to have any dealings with them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#19]
It's pretty much a given for any North Eastern state with Unconstitutional laws and high taxes. People from NJ, NY, CT, MA are pretty much assholes 100% of the time. The real pro is that no one can recognize and admit they are an asshole.

Me on the other hand will gladly tell you I'm an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Been twice in the last year.  I have not ran into any assholes.  Just people that keep to themselves and are straight to the point
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Some NY translations

"You can't make it in this city." - If you worked 70 hours a week and had to send 70% of  your check to the government you'd kill yourself.

"I'll slap the shit outa ya" - If you touch me I'll sic my Jewbag lawyer on you.

"Let's go party" - let's do coke, buy some $20 drinks get sweaty then bounce off each other for 6 hours.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to think they were holes too. My company got bought by an outfit on LI and they sent a bunch of them out here to CO to oversee the layoff and transition of employees to other company locations.

After a few days I found their brusque manners to be quite refreshing. A lot of folks in the west pretend to be nice, but aren't. With these guys what you saw is what you got.

We had one of our guys who'd have these loud speakerphone conversations in his office in a foreign language. He was annoying AF, but was untouchable to us. After the guys from LI came, he tried that shit, this guy who said he was from Queens got up, walked over there, and slammed the dude's door shut so hard dust fell off the ceiling tiles...

Also, NY pizza is infinitely better than that heavy doughy abomination from Chi-town...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been driving between Pittsburgh, PA and Rhode Island now for 27 years.

#1 A-HOLE drivers have NY Plates
#2 A-HOLE drivers have NJ Plates (probably former NY residents)
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two years ago, a friend of mine here had his daughter (early 20's) meet a guy online from NY and moved out here. He was telling us about it and how the guy seemed ok.

I chimed in with , "Yeah....but I can tell you that will all change and it will end in disaster. Guaranteed." I got scornful looks from the rest of the group, never having dealt with Mupfers before. I was told that my remark was insensitive and callous.

People who have never dealt with them just don't see the pattern or know how they are. Even 1000 miles away, If I even detect a hint of that accent, I walk away and refuse to have any dealings with them.
View Quote
Wow...youre fuckin so smart! We all love to get over on everybody!

Get your head out of your ass. That guy was a piece of shit...NOT CAUSE HES A NEW YORKER!

Gues what...I do shit for all kinds of people, and dont want shit in return. Helped a friend watch over his saltwater tank while hes on vacation. Got his keys to his house.

Didnt look through his shit, didnt go anywhere in his place I should've. Locked the door as I left.

Wow...must be the ONLY new yorker out there thats loyal and likes to help people.

Fuck out of here with that bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Get your head out of your ass. That guy was a piece of shit...NOT CAUSE HES A NEW YORKER!

Gues what...I do shit for all kinds of people, and dont want shit in return. Helped a friend watch over his saltwater tank while hes on vacation. Got his keys to his house.

Didnt look through his shit, didnt go anywhere in his place I should've. Locked the door as I left.

Wow...must be the ONLY new yorker out there thats loyal and likes to help people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stereotypes exist for a reason hoss
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the one that says the rest of this country is full of half wit simpletons is resounding in this thread.  

Cause when your dead, you don't know you're dead.  It only hurts the people around you.

It's the same when you're stupid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, what state are you from? I notice you don't list it.

I wonder what kind of stereotypes for your state ring true.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
yeah fuck New Yorkers

<--- Bostonian
View Quote
You buddy fuckers aren't any better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had to work with a couple of guys from NYC on separate projects.  Both were the dumbest people I've met in the industry.  But they are both good at reminding you they came from NYC and try to explain how things are done there.

You guys are 0 for 2.  I'm not saying NYC is full of assholes, but NYC is full of assholes
View Quote

So, what you are really saying is that they couldn't find anyone local that was qualified for that project.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top