Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2017 2:23:33 AM EDT
So I have been contemplating an upgrade to my office desktop.  Yeah, I know, a desktop, WTF?  Well, i like building my own systems.  i built the existing one about 5 years ago, but it was starting to really bog down, with legacy programs, bloatware, old hanger on files, etc.  You know the drill.  

So I was doing some research online, and decided to try an SSD OS Hard Drive setup, with a large TB drive for storage.  I have built quite a few computers over the years, so I like a challenge.  

Purchased a Kingston 128 SSD drive kit on Amazon, and a 2TB Seagate Black drive as my storage drive.  I also have my original 1TB drive, which I am reusing.  I have a 1TB network drive that I save my essentials on with monthly backups.  

So I got all the items together, created a Windows 10 USB boot drive with a 4GB USB stick, and then spent two hours fucking around with the UEFI settings to get the drives installed and oriented.  After reseting the CMOS battery and getting everything set and changing the SATA drive order, installing new 16GB of RAM instead of my 4GB stick, I was ready to install the new OS.  

So I installed the new OS on the SSD Drive, started the OS up, reformatted the 1TB drive, installed Program Files and Program Files (x86) on the 1 TB Drive, and Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Etc on the 2TB drive, this thing smokes on startup.  Really happy with the setup, it literally posts in like 25 seconds.  Loaded my programs, reinstalled my documents, pictures and files in the right places, did a quick backup, and back in business.  

I have to say, I was skeptical on the multiple drive setup, but it really runs fast with the OS on the SSD card.  As always, Youtube was a pretty big help in some ways, other ways, no so much (UEFI was a total pain in the ass).  

So anyone have a similar setup?  Pros / Cons?   Any extra info that would be helpful?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, my bad, terminology nazi!  Rebuilt the system, that better?   
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it literally posts in like 25 seconds.
View Quote
My 5 year old Alienware is waiting for a password in 16 seconds
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Not NVMe? Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
yup.. 240gb ssd with a 1tb storage drive and 80gb ssd as my photoshop/lightroom scratch drive.  Also have a 1tb external that I back up both to regularly.  

I also remapped mydocs, pictures, downloads, and my google drive to my storage drive so that it does not waste the space on my ssd.  If I am working on something and want it faster i just move it to my desktop or scratch drive temporarily.

Computer is coming up on about 3 years old with this setup.  Next PC i want a nasty m.2 NVMe drive!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
just installed a WD Black 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe into my new Asus GL702VS and cloned the factory HDD onto it.  From the press of the power button to desktop is about 6 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
My be quicker, I didnt clock it, but my old setup was like 5-7 minutes.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Replaced all my boot drives with SSDs about five years ago now.

Multi-homed NAS in the 20 TB range for offline storage. I leave a spindle in some boxes for local storage, size depends on usage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My desktop takes about that long from power on to actually being able to do anything

It's time for a new build. I'm about to sell some stuff to fund it
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My desktop takes about that long from power on to actually being able to do anything

View Quote
You would be surprised, it was not that much.  You can get a SSD from Kingston for 50-100, and 2TB drives the deals are out there.  I didnt spend more than $400 on my whole upgrade.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You would be surprised, it was not that much.  You can get a SSD from Kingston for 50-100, and 2TB drives the deals are out there.  I didnt spend more than $400 on my whole upgrade.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my new GPU will be more than that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top