Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Why? Your premise is so flawed that I can safely dismiss anything you post. 
View Quote
Yet you're making more of an effort to avoid it than answer it. 2 posts, one with 3 different lines (for emphasis apparently)
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Fentanyl and Carfentanyl are killing people in record numbers.......So let's cut production of pharma grade stuff, so more of the junkies are using the really scary stuff
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The DEA needs to severely restrict Narcan production & availability.  It should be on the order of rare snake anti-venom.

Want to do drugs?  cool.  Check out early & make room for someone with more brain cells.
View Quote
How about .gov just stay the fuck out?   You big gov conservatives are as bad as the Hillary and Co.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about .gov just stay the fuck out?   You big gov conservatives are as bad as the Hillary and Co.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not just the DEA.

It's the doctors and pharmacists themselves that have advocated for a huge reduction in prescriptions in some lame attempt to '...just save a single life...'

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the DEA. They're the reason patients in tremendous chronic pain get told to fuck off and don't get the pain relief they need. They've got doctors afraid to actually treat patients in the most effective and compassionate manner. DEA should be disbanded.
It's not just the DEA.

It's the doctors and pharmacists themselves that have advocated for a huge reduction in prescriptions in some lame attempt to '...just save a single life...'

Lol.

Bullshit.

You really must go out of your way to be factually incorrect on every single issue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yet you're making more of an effort to avoid it than answer it. 2 posts, one with 3 different lines (for emphasis apparently)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Why? Your premise is so flawed that I can safely dismiss anything you post. 
 First you have to give me some evidence that you, personally, are qualified to define "over prescribing" of any drug, by a physician.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck the DEA. They're the reason patients in tremendous chronic pain get told to fuck off and don't get the pain relief they need. They've got doctors afraid to actually treat patients in the most effective and compassionate manner. DEA should be disbanded.
View Quote
So very much this..
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're forgetting doctors giving them out are the reason most teens (I'm guessing adults too) become addicts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So illegal manufacturing is going to go down 20% while legal also goes down?
You're forgetting doctors giving them out are the reason most teens (I'm guessing adults too) become addicts.
Yeah, because when Timmy high-schooler comes in for a checkup, that dastardly M.D. is all like "Pssst, hey kid, try some of this stuff, and don't tell your mom."

I think we can file you're assertion under "Stuff That never actually happens outside the fervid statist imagination".
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, I drive through the area of WV regularly that made the news for the number of rx filled. Something like millions of doses there isn't 1000 people living in the immediate area. I would imagine that maybe the DEA might be right that there was a problem with that pharmacy and the doctors writing the rxs. At a certain point even the local county cops knew they had a serious problem with that pharmacy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Demand decreased because the DEA is prosecuting doctors for prescribing more painkillers than the government thinks is "necessary."

Let *that* sink in a moment.

The government bureaucrats decided that in order to stop opiate abuse it had to tell medical professionals to stop doing their jobs, then, in order to combat the growing black market for opiates (caused by the first encroachment) it has to tell the manufacturers to stop doing their jobs.

Where, exactly, does it end?
Well, I drive through the area of WV regularly that made the news for the number of rx filled. Something like millions of doses there isn't 1000 people living in the immediate area. I would imagine that maybe the DEA might be right that there was a problem with that pharmacy and the doctors writing the rxs. At a certain point even the local county cops knew they had a serious problem with that pharmacy.
What is the exact cut-off?  How many of what drug and mg strength can I prescribe?

Until you answer that, I'm not prescribing any Schedule II opiates to any new patients.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  I was close to someone who had severe chronic pain for years after a wreck. This person was not a junkie. I don't think I ever saw her ever even drink alcohol, she just had spinal damage and resulting pain. The last surgery she had luckily took away most of the cause of her pain. She went through a rehab program after and now lives a life without opiates. I personally believe she would have offed herself if opiates had not been available during the worst of it. I also heard horror stories of how medical staff treated her during a few kidney stone events. Their eyes would glaze over, "drug seeker" expression after they saw her medical history.  Funny how they started stepping and fetching when the x-ray of a bloated kidney came back.

Opiates are massively abused, are a dead end long term,  but some folks really need them to get by.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you would say that the doctors writing a tremendous number of scripts for spurious back injuries at pill mills were treating their patients in the most effective and compassionate manner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you would say that the doctors writing a tremendous number of scripts for spurious back injuries at pill mills were treating their patients in the most effective and compassionate manner?
What's amusing is it's always "spurious" when it's someone else's back pain.  When it's yours, it's always real and requires opiates to treat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On arfcom, we question the police plenty, why not doctors? I'd say many doctors are not properly doing their jobs. Recently many are over prescribing opioids, for a while now- antibiotics, and also recently putting guys on testosterone shots not as a last resort but because the patient wishes it. I'm not seeing the restraint that should be applied to these medications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Demand decreased because the DEA is prosecuting doctors for prescribing more painkillers than the government thinks is "necessary."

Let *that* sink in a moment.

The government bureaucrats decided that in order to stop opiate abuse it had to tell medical professionals to stop doing their jobs, then, in order to combat the growing black market for opiates (caused by the first encroachment) it has to tell the manufacturers to stop doing their jobs.

Where, exactly, does it end?

On arfcom, we question the police plenty, why not doctors? I'd say many doctors are not properly doing their jobs. Recently many are over prescribing opioids, for a while now- antibiotics, and also recently putting guys on testosterone shots not as a last resort but because the patient wishes it. I'm not seeing the restraint that should be applied to these medications.
You should go to medical school.  It sounds like you could teach us a lot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never taken prescription painkillers except once for a bad burn when I was in high school.

I hope when I'm old, all the stuff that works isn't banned.  Between my back, knees, and feet, I expect to be hurting when I'm 70.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 First you have to give me some evidence that you, personally, are qualified to define "over prescribing" of any drug, by a physician.
View Quote
Boxed yourself into a corner with that "argument"

JAMA study: Nearly one-third of antibiotics are prescribed unnecessarily
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
FDEA
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The guidelines that doctors use need to be revised.  We don't need .gov coming in and looking over everyone's shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linking an article doesn't make you qualified to define "over perscribing" of a drug, by a doctor. Especially when your article is about a completely unrelated class of drugs
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#19]
fucking typical govt fucking bassackward thinking
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said "you, personally." 
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And the cartels will get to sell 20% more heroin.

Genius.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
why not just ban painkillers from fed employees. Work for the irs and got a compound fracture? suck it up and take an advil.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Artificial scarcity won't help the situation. Our nations drug policy makers are fucking idiots.
View Quote
Depends on which situation they're trying to help -- we may think them idiots but perhaps they are geniuses.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So illegal manufacturing is going to go down 20% while legal also goes down?

I thought it was the cartels and illegal druggies that are making the stuff are responsible for the OD's because they cut it with other shit.
View Quote
You're exactly right. The government doesn't want the illegal drugs on the street to be the safe, tested kind. The dangerous unregulated stuff is less appealing to unlawful drug users when considering their options. It might kill them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#25]
We're being Medellined.  Or is it reverse-Medellined?

"And until somebody finds a way to convince 20% of the population to stop snorting and smoking that shit, reduction in production's order's the best we can hope for."
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Genius.
View Quote
This x 100
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And, the circle jerk of BS is now complete!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problem, the cartels will quickly fill that gap with cheaply produced fentanyl which is approx. 1000 times stronger than heroin.

Another smart move by the Feds.
Of course.

How else will you justify increasing spending the war on drugs?
And, the circle jerk of BS is now complete!
I am sad for you that you're unable to perceive second and third order effects.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
No joke.

Sadly, this is a level of command economy we seem to be comfortable with.  Hell, that some of us even seem to demand.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#30]
FPNI as per usual.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No problem, the cartels will quickly fill that gap with cheaply produced fentanyl which is approx. 1000 times stronger than heroin.

View Quote
So basically the feds are reducing the number of addicts with the help of the cartels...
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not enough IMO. Opioid epidemic is getting worse. Glad they are focusing on the source. Most Teens Who Abuse Opioids First Got Them From a Doctor.
View Quote
I'd bet my bottom dollar most of the teens who abuse opiods and first go them from a doctor, got them for getting wisdom teeth pulled. I had mine pulled around 17 or so even though they weren't impacted. Not pulling them until they are impacted would be a good start since some people's never get impacted anyways ( at least that's what my dentist said before pulling mine .)
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
this opioid "epidemic" is weird. 

in the past we used to run a good mix of pill vs street drug issues in ems and rescue. In the last 3 years i have run 1 pill related call. our "drug calls" are up massively the last few years and 90% of it is heroin or heroin mixed drugs sold on the street. these junkies didn't go from a pain management mindset to heroine. they went from a desire to get high to a bigger desire to get high. pills don't do it for them.
View Quote
This is the way it was explained to me by a MD friend.

This "epidemic " has been driven by the Feds tightening the control of hydro and Oxy prescriptions.  The black market for those prescriptions was controlled by supply and demand. Diverting controled pills kept those who self medicated on a predictable path. Less ODs, more normal and less of a junkie lifestyle.

The Feds stepped in 3 or 4 years ago and tightened up guide line for MDs then reschuled hydro along with new guide lines for supplying Oxy/Hydro to curtail diversion.  Supply did dry up.

Now people who were pill popping for years maintaining a normal lifestyle have turned to Herion or its street level equivalent. That equals a totally unpredictable path and full blown junkie lifestyle.
His opinion is the Feds are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
One thing is knows for sure is the Feds have negatively impacted the innocent patients who now are either denied pain relief or have to change MDs just get some sleep.

The outcome is more ODs because junkie lifestyle and Herion go hand and hand.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can't say what *he* would say but, I *can* say it's none of the .gov's business what a doctor and his patient agree to.
View Quote
Does the GOV have a say if they pay?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck the DEA.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
What? Do you mean that markets are dynamic and respond to eternal events? That's crazy talk.

No self-respecting bureaucratic would believe that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yep.  I was close to someone who had severe chronic pain for years after a wreck. This person was not a junkie. I don't think I ever saw her ever even drink alcohol, she just had spinal damage and resulting pain. The last surgery she had luckily took away most of the cause of her pain. She went through a rehab program after and now lives a life without opiates. I personally believe she would have offed herself if opiates had not been available during the worst of it. I also heard horror stories of how medical staff treated her during a few kidney stone events. Their eyes would glaze over, "drug seeker" expression after they saw her medical history.  Funny how they started stepping and fetching when the x-ray of a bloated kidney came back.

Opiates are massively abused, are a dead end long term,  but some folks really need them to get by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the heart of it.  Opiate work and there aren't good alternatives.  It's not like (most) doctors give out scrips when patients don't need them.   If I do a procedure and I know patients will be sore and have trouble sleeping they get tylenol with codeine or vicodin.   Having lain awake all night due to pain from minor surgery, it's clear to me that opiates are a mercy and don't get abused by people who really need them.

An easy way to control for drug seekers is simply not to prescribe them unless I actually do a procedure and even then limit the amount.

Legitimate prescriptions are not fueling the overdose epidemic, massive amounts of heroin and fentanyl on the street are the cause.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]
jeez....

it appeared that there were a lot of pot users here, but I didn't realize there were that many non legit pain med druggies here

edit - here is a solution that most docs would approve of...

acute pain meds limited to 3 days, no stronger than 5 mg hydrocodone, and your name goes on a list for having been prescribed pain meds.

all chronic pain med users go to low cost privately run, but government authorized pain med centers.

any deviation or misuse and the user's name goes on a government list so they can't get chronic meds anymore.

this would solve the blame the doc game people are doing here, only legit pain med people get the meds, and docs don't have to keep screening for chronic pain med seekers, as if someone is drug seeking, they should show up on the list.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pure 'tardery that will only hurt people who have legitimate needs for the drugs.

Addicts will find the stuff one way or another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pure 'tardery that will only hurt people who have legitimate needs for the drugs.

Supply side is the only strategy the DEA knows.

1-trick ponies have a monopoly in govt.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Artificial scarcity won't help the situation. Our nations drug policy makers are fucking idiots.
Depends on which situation they're trying to help -- we may think them idiots but perhaps they are geniuses.
Someone's paying attention.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
jeez....

it appeared that there were a lot of pot users here, but I didn't realize there were that many non legit pain med druggies here
View Quote
You figured it all out bro.  A fucking genius you must be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Genius.
View Quote
CIA gotta eat too.................
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You figured it all out bro.  A fucking genius you must be.
View Quote
get blamed if you prescribe pain meds for people who say they are in pain,

or get blamed for not prescribing pain meds, because the drug seekers are ruining the system.

it sames time and effort to not prescribe pain meds to anyone.

people complain about a pain med abuse problem. the government wants to cut back production, which many in the last thread had blamed big pharma for causing the problem, and people start screaming over regulation and limiting the drug supply.

seems people are using the same arguements supply and regulation about pot, so.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't say what *he* would say but, I *can* say it's none of the .gov's business what a doctor and his patient agree to.

We can play that game.  If you're prescribed an anti-depressant drug, the gov't can require us to notify the local police and your guns are confiscated, even if the anti-depressant medication is not being used for depression but rather sleep, pain, etc.

Or just do away with needing doctors and have bureaucrats use an algorithm to treat you like in Idiocrasy.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm starting to think DEA has a financial interest in heroin.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
jeez....

acute pain meds limited to 3 days, no stronger than 5 mg hydrocodone, and your name goes on a list for having been prescribed pain meds.

all chronic pain med users go to low cost privately run, but government authorized pain med centers.

any deviation or misuse and the user's name goes on a government list so they can't get chronic meds anymore.

this would solve the blame the doc game people are doing here, only legit pain med people get the meds, and docs don't have to keep screening for chronic pain med seekers, as if someone is drug seeking, they should show up on the list.
View Quote
What if someone in the list breaks his leg.  Are they still barred from pain medication?  

Why stop at pain medication, why not create an algorithm for all medical problems?  

Shit, I love non-doctors telling us doctors how to do our fucking job.  It gives me a fucking hard-on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What if someone in the list breaks his leg.  Are they still barred from pain medication?  

Why stop at pain medication, why not create an algorithm for all medical problems?  

Shit, I love non-doctors telling us doctors how to do our fucking job.  It gives me a fucking hard-on.
View Quote
so create another catagory for "continued acute" conditions limited to 1 or 2 weeks, with refill on another office visit.

sure they pt. will complain about the return visit, but it will justify the refill.

I don't know about you, but the drug seekers waste a lot of time and effort trying to keep them out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure.

Now, do you want to guess how I feel about the .gov paying for healthcare beyond the benefits packages they contractually agree to as a form of compensation for employment through service?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Supply side is the only strategy the DEA knows.

1-trick ponies have a monopoly in govt.

Someone's paying attention.
View Quote
So what do you think we should do? Have a campaign educating people, "if your doctor offers you opioids... just say no" ?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
jeez....

View Quote
Or, how about we keep the government out of medicine aside from allowing them to operate courts where malpractice cases are decided?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So what do you think we should do? Have a campaign educating people, "if your doctor offers you opioids... just say no" ?
View Quote
We could just let Doctors do their jobs unimpeded by the government.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top