Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it.  Don't fuck with ARFCOM'S two addictions:  Entertainment and prescription drugs.
View Quote
You forgot disability and medicade.  The freedom lovers that they are.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was in the ER a few months ago for a neck problem, and I met this guy in his 50's who was a long-term alcoholic. I was amazed he opened up to me so quickly, but it seems he and his friends have this scam where they check-in to the hospital for alcohol detox because the hospital gives them Ativan to help in the detox. Once they get the Ativan, they go back to drinking as usual, and then check themselves back into the hospital for another dertox to get more Ativan. He said they have been doing it for years.

I don't know a lot about Ativan, but I remember the couple of times I was in the hospital in the past 10 years, when my back hurt so bad I could not sleep, Ativan was the cure. The pain pills alone did not cut it. I needed the pain pills and Ativan to finally get some sleep.

Is Ativan additive? Does the fact some drunks abuse it mean it will be banned for everyone at some point? That seems unfair.

Just as it seems unfair to ban a certain class of opioids because a small percentage of individuals abuse them.

It sounds like gun control for meds. Ninety-nine percent of gun owners never do anything illegal with guns, but because 1% do, all guns should be banned or gun ownership curtailed?

Makes sense.
View Quote
The anti gunners, and prohibitioners are on the same side.  Ban the guns for the children, and ban the drugs for the children.  Same mindset and end goal. Of course they'll spruce it up to try to obscure the incongruity of their positions. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cut Narcan production.....problem will solve it's self.
View Quote
Narcan is similar to Asian Carp in the "Seemed like a good idea at the time category!"  Thanks Obama. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I guess this will please heroin dealers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem with young'ns is they don't realize that government truly is the problem, not the solution.  Start from there on any issue.  Then work backwards.  

Prosecutor every single bad doctor.  Even if it doesn't get you an FBI promotion.  

Fight heroin and hard drug importers.   Same methods.

Leave pot and legal meds and good doctors the fuck alone.

And let us people who live with constant daily pain to suffer (just a little less) in peace.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Somewhere in America, a heroin dealer is jumping for joy!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Somewhere in America, a heroin dealer is jumping for joy!!
View Quote
No way, it's totally different this time.  On account of you have no constitutional right to take a drug. Yeah. 

And its not even so much the drug dealers it's the Mexican cartels who will be picking up the slack.  The terrorist organisations that murder cops, Americans, and whole villages of people.  Sounds like a great plan. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WTF?

There's no way to argue with someone who, genuinely, has no grasp of reality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that all alcoholics bought their first drink from a state/federal licensed or run store.  Half the fatal car accidents are due to alcohol yet the stores stay open.
Alcohol is not addictive like opioids. Alcohol has no reason to be prescribed as a solution

Opioid problem is real and some doctors are the cause

Research from the University of Pennsylvania shows that over-prescribing of even small amounts of opioids for minor injuries can increase risk of long-term use.

Researchers point to the significant variation in opioid prescribing habits by doctors for minor injuries such as sprained ankles as a major contributor to the current opioid epidemic in the United States.

Using private insurance claims data from more than 53,000 patients visiting U.S. emergency rooms for an ankle sprain between 2011 and 2012, researchers found 7 percent of patients received a prescription for an opioid pain medication.

Researchers found there was significant variation across states, with only 1.6 percent of patients receiving prescriptions for opioids in Delaware compared to 16 percent in Mississippi.
Small over-prescription of opioids increases risk of abuse: Study
WTF?

+1

I guess the hundreds of alcoholics I've admitted to the hospital were a figment of my imagination, not to mention all the ones I've seen as an outpatient.

Alcohol isn't a problem because the state makes money from it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try me, one of my favorite undergrad courses was psychopharmacology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

I would ask for a refund.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately too many doctors have used terrible judgement in prescribing pain meds for years, then it went to "ridiculous clampdown" 
Meanwhile now we have drug addicts driving ten hours round trip to a "clinic" where they can get "legal" drug substitutes. I'm guessing there's a reason why these people aren't going to local doctors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That involves too much freedom and not enough bureaucracy.
Unfortunately too many doctors have used terrible judgement in prescribing pain meds for years, then it went to "ridiculous clampdown" 
Meanwhile now we have drug addicts driving ten hours round trip to a "clinic" where they can get "legal" drug substitutes. I'm guessing there's a reason why these people aren't going to local doctors.
The doctors that run/ran pill mills are almost always the bottom of the barrel.  I'm all for permanently yanking their medical license.

Fun fact:  Dr. Kermit Gosnell, the abortion doctor in Philly, wasn't investigated because of the post-birth murder allegations, but because he was, you guessed it, running a pill mill.  It was during the bust that they found all the other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Alcohol is not addictive like opioids.
View Quote
lol dude please go. ETOH is every bit as addictive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The doctors that run/ran pill mills are almost always the bottom of the barrel.  I'm all for permanently yanking their medical license.

Fun fact:  Dr. Kermit Gosnell, the abortion doctor in Philly, wasn't investigated because of the post-birth murder allegations, but because he was, you guessed it, running a pill mill.  It was during the bust that they found all the other stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That involves too much freedom and not enough bureaucracy.

Wait.

Wait just a fucking minute.

You mean to tell me that we can punish wrongdoers for their actions without blanket policies that fuck everyone and not only fail to accomplish stated goals but actually make new and improved problems? You mean the states and markets already have mechanisms for that?

Wholly shit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's a new thing called the ignore function.  Not sure if you've heard about it before. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Again, why would I "try you?"

You've consistently proven you aren't worth the conversation it would take to prove your "theories" wrong.

You're the kind of poster that makes me sad. It hurts my heart to think that there's people walking this world who really believe the kinds of shit you talk about, openly. I'm sorry that you have to endure living in your own head and hearing those thoughts all day. I just wish you could refrain from making us hear them, too.
There's a new thing called the ignore function.  Not sure if you've heard about it before. 
Nah, I'm not some pussy who can't stand to see stupid posts.

Besides, if I ignored the idiots who weren't worth debating, who would I make fun of?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+1

I guess the hundreds of alcoholics I've admitted to the hospital were a figment of my imagination, not to mention all the ones I've seen as an outpatient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that all alcoholics bought their first drink from a state/federal licensed or run store.  Half the fatal car accidents are due to alcohol yet the stores stay open.
Alcohol is not addictive like opioids. Alcohol has no reason to be prescribed as a solution

Opioid problem is real and some doctors are the cause

Research from the University of Pennsylvania shows that over-prescribing of even small amounts of opioids for minor injuries can increase risk of long-term use.

Researchers point to the significant variation in opioid prescribing habits by doctors for minor injuries such as sprained ankles as a major contributor to the current opioid epidemic in the United States.

Using private insurance claims data from more than 53,000 patients visiting U.S. emergency rooms for an ankle sprain between 2011 and 2012, researchers found 7 percent of patients received a prescription for an opioid pain medication.

Researchers found there was significant variation across states, with only 1.6 percent of patients receiving prescriptions for opioids in Delaware compared to 16 percent in Mississippi.
Small over-prescription of opioids increases risk of abuse: Study
WTF?

+1

I actually *am* an alcoholic. I've *actually* had DTs.

Not some bull shit "shakes and throwing up" either. I've had petite mal seizures from genuine withdrawal.

But, hey, you know, it's not addictive .... not like opiates. (which, is actually true, opiate withdrawal won't FUCKING KILL YOU like EtOH will)
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We could shit can EMTALA.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I vote increase by 200% and hand it out like candy.....let Darwin sort this shit out
All the OD's won't cost billions in healthcare costs in ED time and resources. Brilliant.
From your lips to God's ears.

Democrats: "Why do you hate children? Think of the children! Think of the innocent babies that will die!"

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depends on which situation they're trying to help -- we may think them idiots but perhaps they are geniuses.
View Quote
So, EVIL geniuses huh, since their policies result in needless suffering and death.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And the cartels will get to sell 20% more heroin.

Genius.
View Quote
This is exactly what will happen...and they know it.  How much did it cost the cartel to do this?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
this opioid "epidemic" is weird. 

in the past we used to run a good mix of pill vs street drug issues in ems and rescue. In the last 3 years i have run 1 pill related call. our "drug calls" are up massively the last few years and 90% of it is heroin or heroin mixed drugs sold on the street. these junkies didn't go from a pain management mindset to heroine. they went from a desire to get high to a bigger desire to get high. pills don't do it for them.
View Quote
Completely predictable. Rescheduled Hydrocodone, put the fear of losing their license into docs, and they cut back prescribing. What happens? People dependent on their scrip suddenly need another source. Street drugs. I predicted this when they rescheduled Vicodin.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Democrats: "Why do you hate children? Think of the children! Think of the innocent babies they will die!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I vote increase by 200% and hand it out like candy.....let Darwin sort this shit out
All the OD's won't cost billions in healthcare costs in ED time and resources. Brilliant.

Democrats: "Why do you hate children? Think of the children! Think of the innocent babies they will die!"

Yeah, fuck the children. But for government interference medical care would still be delivered in the home for the cost of a basket of canned peaches and a plate of fried chicken. Now every guy with a cock can spit out a pup, drag him to the ED for a case of the sniffles and stiff the hospital for the services rendered. The hospital gets to ding the shit bag's credit (and, really, what's credit worth to a guy who can't afford a 30 dollar office visit) and pass the cost of care onto the guy with 2 nickles to rub together.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

in the past we used to run a good mix of pill vs street drug issues in ems and rescue. In the last 3 years i have run 1 pill related call. our "drug calls" are up massively the last few years and 90% of it is heroin or heroin mixed drugs sold on the street. these junkies didn't go from a pain management mindset to heroine. they went from a desire to get high to a bigger desire to get high. pills don't do it for them.
View Quote
Yup. I can say with first hand knowledge that it isn't always a pill problem. I have a cousin that is a habitual heroin user, and is on his last leg. I followed his decline through family members, and know all of his friends through acquaintances. He would have NEVER had any issues getting pain meds, whether it be hydrocodone, Oxycodone, or even stronger stuff. He went down that road because he wanted to get what painkillers couldn't give him, a stronger high. 

Now taking away painkillers from people who are already addicted to them, then yeah, there isn't much alternative in that class of drugs than to seek out heroin. But it's not always the case while they are still available on the street.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Before he deposits that refund, I'd like to know how taking a course makes one a subject matter expert?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Same here. Any time I get some prescribed, I try to ration them so that if something happened to me in the future and I actually NEED one that I have one. Saved me a couple times when I had migraines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get allure of opioids.  The few times they have been prescribed to me I have always had leftovers.  I say let the dopers buy them cause they are going to anyway.  Legalize weed also.
Same here. Any time I get some prescribed, I try to ration them so that if something happened to me in the future and I actually NEED one that I have one. Saved me a couple times when I had migraines.
So you actually are part of the problem, by taking opioids when not prescribed and keeping them around for kids to steal. I hope you don't keep them in your medicine cabinet. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
As a prescriber I have mixed emotions for sure
But how do I sort out the 10% w true pain versus the 90% with arthritis?
They always have 10/10  pain
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Completely predictable. Rescheduled Hydrocodone, put the fear of losing their license into docs, and they cut back prescribing. What happens? People dependent on their scrip suddenly need another source. Street drugs. I predicted this when they rescheduled Vicodin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happened when they got the tamper proofing pretty bulletproof on all the pills, then additionally made them harder to get. Can't shoot or snort them, then couldn't get them, presto heroin epidemic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bad news for junkies, they'll have to do with 20% less
View Quote
Junkies don't use pills that long any way.  Heroin is much more cost effective
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wait.

Wait just a fucking minute.

You mean to tell me that we can punish wrongdoers for their actions without blanket policies that fuck everyone and not only fail to accomplish stated goals but actually make new and improved problems? You mean the states and markets already have mechanisms for that?

Wholly shit.
View Quote
@HKUSP45C

I know, it's a crazy idea.

Imagine putting people in prison who commit crimes with guns, instead of banning certain guns and magazine capacities.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top