Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 8:58:35 AM EDT
NEW PHILADELPHIA On Sept. 11, the Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Office will be auctioning off a piece of its history — a
Thompson Model 1921 machine gun that was purchased by former Sheriff
Abe Laird on May 13, 1934.

The proceeds from the sale will go for a good cause — providing new guns, weapon-mounted lights, holsters and
magazine pouches for every member of the department.

http://www.wthr.com/article/ohio-sheriffs-office-to-auction-century-old-machine-gun
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Alford says the weapon is nearly original and is cleaned several times a year. He says he was the last person to fire the weapon five years ago.
View Quote
Nice!   It was well maintained then, not just left to rust.  Most cops are not gun guys, so good to see it was taken care of.

Sheriff Orvis Campbell expects the gun to fetch nearly $50,000 at a September auction.
View Quote
Not so nice.   Oh well, one-owner guns like that are way rare, guess you hafta expect that.   Surely do wish the Thompson corp could make new FA ones for sale to us lowly peasants, tho the quality would surely not be as good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat.
I want one. But my "fun" money doesn't extend that far.

I'm glad they are auctioning it off instead of destroying it or keeping it in a vault.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
About 15 years ago our SD consigned two M1921s and a BAR to a local class 3 dealer and used the proceeds to buy equipment the county would not budget funds for.

LOL....The county got pissed because the money did not go to the general fund but the sheriff told them to pound sand because he did not need their authorization to dispose of SD equipment. He told them if they had a problem bring it up during the next election and let the people decide if it was the right thing to do....He never heard another word about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Cabela's had a Thompson a couple weeks ago.   It was pretty sweet but I didn't have the money.  They had it priced at $1399.  Not sure if that's a deal or not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cabela's had a Thompson a couple weeks ago.   It was pretty sweet but I didn't have the money.  They had it priced at $1399.  Not sure if that's a deal or not.
View Quote
I think it's safe to bet that was a semi auto, the sherriffs has a happy switch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL 50k.

Sheriff has been sneaking into the evidence locker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LOL 50k.

Sheriff has been sneaking into the evidence locker.
View Quote
Same thing I was thinking..
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not an M1921.  
The Cabelas deal is a striker fired semi auto
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
$50k seems to be about where the market is.
If it helps to outfit their department, and a piece of history ends up in private hands, win-win

I've had the privlidge of firing one.
Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#11]
More departments with transferables should do this.

Makes financial sense and allows more NFA to be appropriated instead of sitting in a safe unused.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
The expert assessed it at $37k.  That seems a bit more realistic to me.

Awesome gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
More departments with transferables should do this.

Makes financial sense and allows more NFA to be appropriated instead of sitting in a safe unused.
View Quote
Absolutely.
They're literally sitting on assets
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Many moons ago a police department sold a bunch of rare Colt Thompson SMG's and a well know C3 dealer brokered the deal.

In the end, the buyers had their expensive Thompson's confifiscated by the government as contraband  after the transaction was approve by the NFA branch because they were lent to the police and not possible for a Form 4.

The buyers were out the money.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was my agency's firearms instructor, I was at the range when another agency instructor showed up with a select fire Thompson and asked me if I wanted to shoot it...  DUH!!!   I got to run two magazines of about 30 rounds each IIRC through it, and it was just as cool as you might imagine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool, but he should use it as a fundraiser before selling it.  Have a range day where someone pays $25 or so to shoot it.  Make thousands before he even sells it.  Nice to see at least he is not cutting it up with a torch for the children, but rather allowing it to live on.

ETA: I have fired one, and they are fun.  Such a solid made heavy gun the recoils is very light.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think it's safe to bet that was a semi auto, the sherriffs has a happy switch.
View Quote
yea, true.  guess I didnt think about being a full auto tommy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Many moons ago a police department sold a bunch of rare Colt Thompson SMG's and a well know C3 dealer brokered the deal.

In the end, the buyers had their expensive Thompson's confifiscated by the government as contraband  after the transaction was approve by the NFA branch because they were lent to the police and not possible for a Form 4.

The buyers were out the money.
View Quote
Sorry, I do not believe this happened. You may think it did but I doubt the source of your info.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Thankfully the sheriff decided to profit from this piece of history and will sell it to someone who will responsibily take care of it instead of cutting it up like a dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry, I do not believe this happened. You may think it did but I doubt the source of your info.
View Quote
Ditto. That smells like BS to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
There was a similar semi-auto one at the massive Cabelas in Hamburg Ohio 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
$50k seems to be about where the market is.
If it helps to outfit their department, and a piece of history ends up in private hands, win-win

I've had the privlidge of firing one.
Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days
View Quote
50K isn't the market unless it is an over stamp in mint condition...then maybe.

This one is for sale right now for 35K

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/upload/nfafirearms.29126.3.jpg
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's not an M1921.  
The Cabelas deal is a striker fired semi auto
View Quote
Could be a 21.

There were a large amount pulled out of the original 10,000 that Colt manufactured, given horizontal front grips, Cutts compensators and heavier bolts to slow the rate of fire for the Navy contract that Auto Ordanance landed in 1928. They just stamped a 8 over the 1 and added "US NAVY MODEL of 1928
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Feel free not to believe me. It happened.

DOD --> Form 5 ---> LEO Dept. They were supposed to register them on Form 10. Did not happen.

There is no fucking way I would offer to buy a MG from a police agency without a FOIA in advance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
My class 3 dealer bought one at auction about a year ago. 21 overstamped 28. With the original canvas case, two 30rd mags, and a drum. Not sure what he gave for it but it didn't take him long to sell it for 45K.

Luckily I got to run a couple mags thru it before it sold.
That action is hard to get used to....
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NEW PHILADELPHIA On Sept. 11, the Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Office will be auctioning off a piece of its history — a
Thompson Model 1921 machine gun that was purchased by former Sheriff
Abe Laird on May 13, 1934.

The proceeds from the sale will go for a good cause — providing new guns, weapon-mounted lights, holsters and
magazine pouches for every member of the department.

http://www.wthr.com/article/ohio-sheriffs-office-to-auction-century-old-machine-gun
View Quote
Sheriff's Office staff is unsure what the machine gun was originally used for. 

Italian mob presence in Ohio, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Feel free not to believe me. It happened.

DOD --> Form 5 ---> LEO Dept. They were supposed to register them on Form 10. Did not happen.

There is no fucking way I would offer to buy a MG from a police agency without a FOIA in advance.
View Quote
Not machine guns but that certainly happened with a group of 1911's traded in by a local university.

Their security people wanted "modern guns" so they arranged with a local gun shop to trade them in on Glocks. There were about 10 of them in varying condition but they were all 1911A1's with property markings. I bought a nice Remington Rand that hadn't been molested.

About three weeks later I got a letter from the gun store saying that the government wanted its property back. Feds said the guns were on loan to the university and that the deal was null and void. Everyone's money was refunded.

I always hoped that the government didn't crush them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Good of that Sheriff's Dept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top