Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 4:36:08 PM EDT
For post 550, I'd like to ask if anyone has one of these.  Apparently the 551s and 553s are now being imported again as a pistol.  As these are Sig Neuhausen, and not Sig USA products, I fully expect them to run flawlessly.  But how do they compare to the AR in your experience?  Given you could have one at the same price as a Colt 6920 or equivalent, and could only own one or the other,  which one would you choose?  Assume you can have the 553 that takes AR mags instead of that weird clear plastic AK style mag.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
In before a p320 comment
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a 553 and own a 551. They are great guns built like swiss watches. If you have the coin they are worth it.

Will they do anything a 6920 wont? Not really but they look sweet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned a 553 and own a 551. They are great guns built like swiss watches. If you have the coin they are worth it.

Will they do anything a 6920 wont? Not really but they look sweet.
View Quote
I guess the question then becomes, will a 6920 do something a 551 won't?  Because if not then I think I want one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was shopping for one of those Sigs and decided to buy an AK pistol instead.  If you shop around, you can still find an M92 or a Draco for around $500. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The new imports are from SAN (Swiss Arms, Neuhausen).

That said they are supposed to be wonderful guns, and every bit as good as any of the pre-bans. I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's on my list of desirables. I like the traditional mags. AR mags just don't look right.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The 553 makes sense if you need a little gun.

The 551 doesn't have anything on an AR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy compared to an AR
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before a p320 comment
View Quote
Too late. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Also my 551 is one of the LDNR rifles MM was selling.

I will add it is one of the best feeling stock rifles out there. I ran it with irons only in a VTAC class. I hate to brag but I did some amazing shooting during that class. Outshooting many with optic mounted AR's. The long sight radius and diopter sights make it a death ray. Kyle Lamb stuck me on the end due to the brass flinging out like a HK. He said they T&E'd the 551 in his unit and that it was a accurate beast that you couldn't kill, but in the end the weight and non-compatibility with modern night fighting (lack of solid laser mounting options) killed it in favor of the M4.

I can do a reload as fast or faster than I can with an AR using the 551. If they sold here for the prices that they sell to LE, without a doubt it would be in the top 3 contenders for a civie defensive/LE rifle in my opinion. I was on the MOA all day list with it for a while. They tend to be very accurate. Best made AK out there.

So to recap, IMHO a 6920 will do most everything the SIG will function wise except fold and give you an adjustable gas system for suppressed use. If I had to pick one as my last rifle to last me the rest of my life and trust it to defend my life with 100 years from now. Without a doubt the SIG 551.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For post 550, I'd like to ask if anyone has one of these.  Apparently the 551s and 553s are now being imported again as a pistol.  As these are Sig Neuhausen, and not Sig USA products, I fully expect them to run flawlessly.  But how do they compare to the AR in your experience?  Given you could have one at the same price as a Colt 6920 or equivalent, and could only own one or the other,  which one would you choose?  Assume you can have the 553 that takes AR mags instead of that weird clear plastic AK style mag.
View Quote

You bet i have a sig550!

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I want a SAN 55X something fierce.

I want Thermal a little more fierce.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Rolex of assault rifles no doubt. Of course Sig put out some crappy cheap version of the 551 and it's garbage, costs like $1500. The real deal Swiss made 551 is awesome, but yeah the preban imports are like $10K and up. Of course yeah it seems they have been recently bringing in pistol versions to get around the import laws and are selling them for $3K and up. I really would like to get one of those new Swiss pistols also. I was thinking yeah 551 pistol for $3K would be sweet!! 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want something big and heavy with limited aftermarket support, there are other guns to satisfy the same need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top