Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/24/2017 12:59:00 PM EDT
Had mine out yesterday, at 21 (MiG-21!?) all impacted, was bleeding profusely when I got home. Woke up, still weaping a bit of blood, and I'm honestly...well...sad.

I'm not suicidal or anything, but just don't want to get up out of bed. I'm worried I'll get four dry sockets (Sneezed a lot, and I suffer from notoriously bad luck.) and I hate my dentist. Don't trust him (Connecticut sucks) and I just don't know what to really do. I feel like I'm going to die of complications (Hey, I felt the same way after my testicular torsion surgery, too, and I'm still standin' here!) but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyone else ever been "depressed" or just unhappy with life after something like this?

I wish I was like my grandpa. He was years younger than me, a Marine and on the battlefield in Korea, rescuing someone from a minefield. He had a pacemaker inserted while conscious. I just wish I had the balls he has and wasn't such a big baby. (I was unsure if I'd even make it back alive from the Oral Surgeon's office.)

I'm just curious if my emotions are something other people felt after having this done. I'm paranoid my sutures will rip, or I'll die of hypotension from a combination of dehydration, medication, and the blood I lost. I feel pretty good right now (in some pain, and still weeping a lil blood) and not like I'm going into shock or anything, but I just think I'll never feel better. (I tend to focus on short term stuff.)

On the bridge side, I watched Kung Fury and thought it was pretty funny.

Sorry I lack courage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
wat
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Anxieties

keep it to yourself or people with think you're crazy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My dentist told me it's better for recovery to stay awake during the procedure. He offered sedation, stay awake with gas and local, or stay awake with local.

I stayed away with local, I should have done gas in addition.  It didn't hurt, but I could feel the pressure and the prying of removing teeth.

Afterwards I was a drooling mess, then got some sort of opioid prescription and was happy as a clam. Definitely not depressed.

Maybe the drugs are having the opposite effect on you,  OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you deal with it..

your failing op.

holy fuck, you didn't get diagnosed with fucking cancer, its fucking wisdom teeth. I had mine pulled back around 1994... grow the fuck up.  my fiancies daughter has been diagnosed with cancer, and she has drug ass getting her treatment. been a YEAR now, and shes finally getting surgery to remove it next week...her BEST CASE SCENERIO is to have a total Hysterectomy at age 29, and never be able to have kids, and cancer free...... worst case is she dies from it, because it spread, because shes waited so long for surgery..   wisdom teeth... holy fuck, that's your complaint?

life gets a LOT simpler when you learn to accept the fact that " YOU ARE GOING TO FUCKING DIE".... maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen. you have already outlived millions of people who didn't make it to your age, you have had a way more satisfying life than millions of people before you had, so, be fucking thankful for what you have been blessed with...your not doing so bad.  just accept your only here for a short time, and learn to make the most of your time. being depressed because " you might die", is a waste of time. sitting around and crying about how long you have left is a waste of time as well... enjoy life, its temporary.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever meds they gave you for the pain are working great!  

PSA:  This is how opioid addiction starts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My son had SEVEN extracted at once. THREE IN ONE SOCKET. It sucks but this too shall pass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
All four of mine were impacted and removed at about age 19. The bottom two were coming in at at 45 degree angle and hitting the molars in front of them. I woke up one morning and my entire jaw and neck were sore on one side. I made an appointment and had them all pulled about a week later. I was nervous before going in, but I remember being glad I would never have to deal with wisdom teeth again.

I did get a little depressed when I had my first fillings at about age 30. I remember at the time wishing I had taken better care of my teeth. I made it through childhood with no fillings and thought my teeth were made of diamond. I was wrong. I got over it in a couple days, you will too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I got mine out at USMC boot camp. Had approx the 45 seconds it took to pull them out off and then back at it. Get over yourself snowflake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems OP has gone a bit overboard on the sadness just from getting some teeth pulled.

Had all four pulled as a kid and just layed around watching tv & drinking broth water. It sucked but it wasn't depressing. It's all in your head OP...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a deep breath and relax.  My wife had about every complication you can get when she had hers removed and she's still alive.  

You didn't lose enough blood for your body to even notice, let alone die.  You're going to be fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Still bleeding into the next day? That's not good.

You may have an infection that isn't allowing your blood to clot properly?

Can you feel little tabs of your gums in that area? Still tender? If so, it's likely the infection is spreading and you will have to get knocked out and have more teeth removed as their roots will probably die in the next 8-10 hours.

Sucks, but that's why they make fake teeth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to go to your local doc in the box and demand opioids.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Pack that shit with gauze and forget about it. I assume they prescribed you Vicodin?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh.  You'll be fine.  Did you at least get to keep them or did he have to break them out?  I had one or two that I glued back together but were mostly intact.  Crazy how the roots grow.

Best advice I can give is have someone follow you around with a camera until the meds wear off.  Last few years it has been a pretty good payout on America's Funniest Videos. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]
All mine were impacted and cut out and I was stitched up - this was in the 70's. I don't remember feeling that at all! 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pack that shit with gauze and forget about it. I assume they prescribed you Vicodin?
View Quote
Yep. I mainly take the Ibprofin though as A: it's also a NSID, which helps with swelling, and B: my family has a history of drug addictions (Mother was addicted to Heroin, Late Father was an alcoholic and coke addict, grandfather's also an alcoholic,) so I try not to take those types of painkillers unless I'm in severe agony.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe some odd reaction to the meds?  I would suggest going back to the dentist, even if you don't like him, and explain what is going on with you.  He may surprise you with something that actually helps.   If not, I would suggest going to see another dentist, or an oral surgeon for a second opinion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#24]
OP.

R. Lee Ermey Geico Commerical
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe some odd reaction to the meds?  I would suggest going back to the dentist, even if you don't like him, and explain what is going on with you.  He may surprise you with something that actually helps.   If not, I would suggest going to see another dentist, or an oral surgeon for a second opinion.
View Quote
Gonna spot OP some goodwill and go with this
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy fucking shit I had 7 out and was told THAT was extremely rare.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep. I mainly take the Ibprofin though as A: it's also a NSID, which helps with swelling, and B: my family has a history of drug addictions (Mother was addicted to Heroin, Late Father was an alcoholic and coke addict, grandfather's also an alcoholic,) so I try not to take those types of painkillers unless I'm in severe agony.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was given a precipitation medication when I had mine. I only took one or two pills and they made me feel like shit. I stopped taking them and just used advil for a day or two. For mine, the pain was not that bad. The worst part for me was the nasty taste of blood in my mouth for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I dunno about you, but I was fucking elated to get the fuck out of that goddamn dentist chair. Gas, locals, fuck all that, I can't believe I didn't have a stroke. I ended up with the substitute chinese dentist I couldn't understand instead of my regular guy. Then he only gave me Tylenol.

I didn't fuck around with it. I followed the instructions to the letter, almost didn't consume anything but water the first day. There was no fucking way I was going back to that chair. I was HAPPY to be done with it.

They kept trying to stick me with the chinese dude for everything after that. I absolutely don't want you jabbing shit in my mouth if I can't understand what the fuck you're saying. He graduated from dental school somewhere, so he's perfectly capable of taking an english class. I changed dentists afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the Fuck Up

I'm yankin yer chain op. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Meh.  You'll be fine.  Did you at least get to keep them or did he have to break them out?  I had one or two that I glued back together but were mostly intact.  Crazy how the roots grow.

Best advice I can give is have someone follow you around with a camera until the meds wear off.  Last few years it has been a pretty good payout on America's Funniest Videos. 
View Quote
I kept them but they were also broken out. Upper's came out intact, buttom ones needed a lot of  busting out and other work. (I was given IV sedation and woke up just as they got the last bit out)

AFAIK I didn't do anything dumb, but I'm just a bit paranoid. I've heard plenty of stories of people who kick the bucket right in the dentist's chair. (Hell the surgeon I was originally going to see actually had a fatality http://articles.courant.com/2000-09-22/news/0009220120_1_cardiac-arrest-daughter-s-death-dentist-s-office isn't that comforting?)  Or die of complications after. I just have godawful luck, (with pretty much everything, really.) so I wouldn't have been surprised if I ended up dying or some shit.

Just annoyed, really. It's day 2, and I'm not in all that much pain, but the bleeding is worrying me. I remember how fucking scared I was after my torsion surgery when my sutures dissolved. I was so worried my incision would tear open or some shit. You'd think someone with EMS training wouldn't be so much of a hypochondriac, but looking at someone else and actually being worked on just feels like two completely different things to me. (Not to mention I suffer from Asperger's, so I have a bit of a sensory disorder when it comes to stuff like sutures, swelling, bite issues, taste of blood, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#31]
What meds you on?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Suck it up buttercup
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#33]
You need anything bro?  If you are close enough I can drop something off if you need it

And what surgeon?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I had 4 impacted, sectioned when removed.  Hurt like fuck for a few days.  Took at least a couple weeks before it didn't feel like I could accidentally blow out a thin membrane of sinus wall.  It took a month at least before gently bumping the back of my head against, say, the couch or car headrest caused an electric shock sensation to shoot along my top left gumline.  I was afraid it would never go away.  Give it time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#35]
ITS THE MEDS MAKING YOU FEEL THIS WAY. (Gay)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Come in to my office, I'll give you some heroin for the pain.  First dose is free!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You need anything bro?  If you are close enough I can drop something off if you need it

And what surgeon?
View Quote
I saw Dr. Ciuci in Milford. He's a good guy. Seems good. I personally think he did a great job. It's just my body isn't doing a good job of healing because that's just how it is with me.

I don't need anything. I'm not in any real agony, just nervous of complications.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]
You'll be fine. Quit worrying about stuff that hasn't happened.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Harden the fuck up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Had mine out yesterday, at 21 (MiG-21!?) all impacted, was bleeding profusely when I got home. Woke up, still weaping a bit of blood, and I'm honestly...well...sad.

I'm not suicidal or anything, but just don't want to get up out of bed. I'm worried I'll get four dry sockets (Sneezed a lot, and I suffer from notoriously bad luck.) and I hate my dentist. Don't trust him (Connecticut sucks) and I just don't know what to really do. I feel like I'm going to die of complications (Hey, I felt the same way after my testicular torsion surgery, too, and I'm still standin' here!) but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyone else ever been "depressed" or just unhappy with life after something like this?

I wish I was like my grandpa. He was years younger than me, a Marine and on the battlefield in Korea, rescuing someone from a minefield. He had a pacemaker inserted while conscious. I just wish I had the balls he has and wasn't such a big baby. (I was unsure if I'd even make it back alive from the Oral Surgeon's office.)

I'm just curious if my emotions are something other people felt after having this done. I'm paranoid my sutures will rip, or I'll die of hypotension from a combination of dehydration, medication, and the blood I lost. I feel pretty good right now (in some pain, and still weeping a lil blood) and not like I'm going into shock or anything, but I just think I'll never feel better. (I tend to focus on short term stuff.)

On the bridge side, I watched Kung Fury and thought it was pretty funny.

Sorry I lack courage.
View Quote

DO NOT attend a Cola Warrior event.  You'll probably die of something there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The fuck?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
You didn't lose any fingers or toes. You didn't lose your nuts (though you sound like you did).

Almost everyone gets their wisdom teeth pulled, sooner or later. They eventually become impacted, which will fuck up the alignment of ALL your teeth if they are not extracted.

Be happy they're gone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Mayhap you should start looking around for some professional help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Man the fuck up
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, remember this:

"The man who is afraid of dying, dies a 1000 deaths."
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You didn't lose any fingers or toes. You didn't lose your nuts (though you sound like you did).

Almost everyone gets their wisdom teeth pulled, sooner or later. They eventually become impacted, which will fuck up the alignment of ALL your teeth if they are not extracted.

Be happy they're gone.
View Quote
I guess so. I still have my bits n pieces. I find it a bit funny because a few months prior, in EMS class we talked about treatment of male urological injuries, and the textbook didn't bring it up, (but I had known about it) so I had brought it up. Instructor wondered how I knew about it, because it's very rare, (But definitely a type of thing people would call an ambulance for.) if I had it, or new anyone who ever had it, etc. I said no, thankfully. Fast forward 5 months later, stomach hurts, (Referred pain) look down, "I know EXACTLY what this is. Time to go to the E.R.". Just find it ironic.

Injuries to the mouth and groin bother the fuck out of me. I think I would prefer having a kidney out, because I could still eat or drink normally, but I guess the grass is always greener.

EDIT: I've been paranoid about dentists ever since I had a dentist contimously diagnose cavities that were not actually there upon a second opinion. Dental Fraud with HMO (state/HUSKY) insurance is pretty common, dentists basically have to cut costs or make up diagnoses to get extra money from the insurance companies. I had a filling done on a tooth that was giving me ZERO pain fall out THREE TIMES within a year. So I need a crown. Insurance covers only those crappy base metal nickel ones (Nickel Allergy can develop from that) and now they won't cover the crown unless I get my wisdom teeth (impacted but asymptomatic) out. I just feel like my dentists are like used car salesman. "You need X, and Y. But now you also need A B and C. but we won't give you that unless you get D first." My mother actually had a dentist recommend to let a cavity worsen so the tooth can just be pulled. I hate the dentists in this state. They suck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Ditch whatever you are currently on, pop some Tylenol Extra Strength, eat some mashed potatoes, feel better in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
You should call your mom.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top