Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 114 of 117)
Page / 117
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
I’m completely new to bourbon, I’ve taken a liking to 4 roses stuff. Growing up, dad always had ancient age in the house. I just remember the burning from the hot toddies I got when sick.

But my wife just got home from the store and had picked up this for me to try. Just wanted to know if she loves me or is trying to make me sick.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/73041802931__2202EAC3-E0F8-43AE-AD4B-F50-3138987.jpg
View Quote

I just hope that Benchmark doesn’t get to be loved like Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace. It’s great as a mixer, or on its own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#2]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
I just hope that Benchmark doesn’t get to be loved like Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace. It’s great as a mixer, or on its own.
View Quote

Just about anything from BT flies off the shelf here, including Benchmark and Ancient Ancient Age.

Given that, BM Top Floor and Full Proof are pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

I like it enough to have had a couple bottles. Simple and very smooth imo, I will buy it again sometime.

Liquor store mgr texted me to come in. She got a bottle in and held it in the back for me. A small victory in Idaho today.
https://i.imgur.com/nQK8HKQl.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacran:
Any comments on Wild Turkey Longbranch bourbon?  I got a bottle tonight and will open it tomorrow night.

I like it enough to have had a couple bottles. Simple and very smooth imo, I will buy it again sometime.

Liquor store mgr texted me to come in. She got a bottle in and held it in the back for me. A small victory in Idaho today.
https://i.imgur.com/nQK8HKQl.jpg

I broke the seal on the Longbranch tonight and yeah, I’m liking it.  I may even like it better than Rare Breed.

Congratulations on the Blanton’s.  It’s nice to have those connections.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

Just about anything from BT flies off the shelf here, including Benchmark and Ancient Ancient Age.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:

I thought Full Proof tasted too young. Benchmark seems to stay on the shelves here, but AAA dissappears pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
So evidently my wife likes me drinking bourbon. She just sent me this picture of 3 new ones she picked for me.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So evidently my wife likes me drinking bourbon. She just sent me this picture of 3 new ones she picked for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/73085875075__1B9D6820-97AA-4683-8B00-7A0-3144347.jpg
View Quote

And so it begins!  Good luck!!

Next thing you know you will be standing in line for a chance to get a hard to get bottle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

Next thing you know you will be standing in line for a chance to get a hard to get bottle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240216_145311298_jpg-3144393.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/73085875075__1B9D6820-97AA-4683-8B00-7A0-3144347.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240216_145311298_jpg-3144393.JPG

I’ll send her. She has better luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Both of you.. doubles her chances!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Decided the hell with it and bought a 1.75l of wild turkey 101 instead of the usual 750. So I'm saving buko money, my wife should be pleased.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

I went back a few pages and might have missed it, but has anyone tried this 2A bourbon?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#11]
Picked up Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A124 this evening. I need to drink faster. I now have the last three releases on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
...but the bonded one you know has to be at least 4 years old to be called "bonded".  
View Quote

Not sure if you know, but all bourbon that doesn't have an age statement on the label is also required to have been aged at least 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Not sure if you know, but all bourbon that doesn't have an age statement on the label is also required to have been aged at least 4 years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:
...but the bonded one you know has to be at least 4 years old to be called "bonded".  

2yrs to be called bourbon and 4yrs if it's "Bonded"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

She’s a keeper.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OBE1CanOB:

View Quote

No, just no.  

If there's no age statement, then it must be aged at least 4 years, regardless of anything else on the label.  At least 2 years to be called straight bourbon, but there will be an age statement if it's aged less than 4 years.  You're right that bonded bourbon must be aged at least 4 years.  Bourbon can be aged 4 months if it says so on the label.  There's no age requirement for bourbon that has an age statement.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Here’s the Code of Federal Regulations that defines what’s what in distilled spirits.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#17]

No, just no.  

If there's no age statement, then it must be aged at least 4 years, regardless of anything else on the label.  At least 2 years to be called straight bourbon, but there will be an age statement if it's aged less than 4 years.  You're right that bonded bourbon must be aged at least 4 years.  Bourbon can be aged 4 months if it says so on the label.  There's no age requirement for bourbon that has an age statement.
View All Quotes

No, just no.  

You might want to do some research before spewing bs out like this. Copy paste from "new riffs" website, regardless every distillery tour I have been on in 10yrs have said the same.  It's not a ''bourbon" unless it's aged for 2yrs.

6 month old moonshine in a oak barrel is not bourbon.

Copy paste --

It gets even more complicated than this. To be considered “straight Bourbon,” it must be aged for a minimum of two years in new charred oak containers. If it is aged for less than four years, it must have an age statement somewhere on the bottle that tells buyers how long it was aged.

Some Bourbon may also be bottled in bond, the label for American-made distilled spirits that are aged and bottled according to certain federal standards. Many enthusiasts see this label as an endorsement of quality.

When you purchase a bottle of straight Bourbon that doesn’t state how old it is, you’re likely getting Bourbon that is at least four years old but not much older.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#18]
It's not a ''bourbon" unless it's aged for 2yrs.
View Quote

Nope. Read the CFR I linked above.  There’s no minimum age in new charred oak barrels for bourbon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
very good for $50
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Bourbon and dark chocolate.  Life doesn’t get much better!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]

You might want to do some research before spewing bs out like this. Copy paste from "new riffs" website, regardless every distillery tour I have been on in 10yrs have said the same.  It's not a ''bourbon" unless it's aged for 2yrs.

Copy paste --

It gets even more complicated than this. To be considered “straight Bourbon,” it must be aged for a minimum of two years in new charred oak containers. If it is aged for less than four years, it must have an age statement somewhere on the bottle that tells buyers how long it was aged.

Some Bourbon may also be bottled in bond, the label for American-made distilled spirits that are aged and bottled according to certain federal standards. Many enthusiasts see this label as an endorsement of quality.

When you purchase a bottle of straight Bourbon that doesn’t state how old it is, you’re likely getting Bourbon that is at least four years old but not much older.
View All Quotes

No, just no.  

Copy paste --

What you pasted is exactly the same as what I said and has nothing to reinforce your misinformed claim.  The law is clear on this.  

But let's have this discussion turn to a friendlier controversy that is pure preference (so nobody is wrong by definition):  bottle shape.

I hate that my fav daily drinker, Rebel Yell, switched a numbers of years back from the classic whiskey bottle shape (like Eagle Rare still uses) and switched to the short, squat bottle shape that is so common, but everyone hates.  I'm sure their cheaper to buy/produce, but surely they are disliked by retailers (take up more shelf space) and bartenders (harder to pour).  What's the deal with these crappy fat bottles with no necks?  (don't get me started on the PC name change...)

= GOOD

=  BAD
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Probably because the old $20 bottle was discontinued in favor of a new $50 one
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

There are plenty of people that bitch about this bottle, but it's a huge favorite of mine.

Probably because the old $20 bottle was discontinued in favor of a new $50 one

I like Heaven Hill products, but it doesn't taste 30 bucks better than EW BiB. If I'm already at the 50 dollar price point, I'd rather just get one of the Elijah Craig Barrel Proofs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a bottle each of the Jack Daniels 10 and 12-year.
Damn prices  are getting even MORE stupid.
$110 and $130 respectively….
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#28]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
View Quote

is that MSRP+tx in your area or is it just slightly inflated store pricing?

Costco had both here a few days ago.. i dont recall the exact pricings, but iirc it was under 100.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Costco had both here a few days ago.. i dont recall the exact pricings, but iirc it was under 100.
View All Quotes

I don’t know if MSRP varies state-to-state but I believe it to be 30% over cost.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:18:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#30]

I don’t know if MSRP varies state-to-state but I believe it to be 30% over cost.
View Quote

It doesnt much if it does, but some states tax it heavier than others, didnt know if that was your case.

Both the 10 and 12 are excellent!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

It does vary from state-to-state, but the JD10 is a $70-ish to $80 bottle, while the 12 is around $100.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By alc1343:

It does vary from state-to-state, but the JD10 is a $70-ish to $80 bottle, while the 12 is around $100.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alc1343:

Went to another location of the same large chain store and they had them for $99 /$109.
Obviously even within the chain, prices vary store-to-store. Yet that doesn’t provide what MSRP is in my State.
I hate it that the first location is jacking up prices like that, but they always give me near first shot at anything they get in.
So I keep smiling, buying and saying “Thank you”.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a JD 12 about a month ago for $95 plus tax from a place the sells pretty well at MSRP.

I managed to pick up an EH Taylor single barrel and 1792 12 yr the other day.  Been looking for those for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m still a big fan of Old Grand Dad Bonded. Inexpensive and tasty. I have never been able to find the 114 proof version though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Wepner:
I’m still a big fan of Old Grand Dad Bonded. Inexpensive and tasty. I have never been able to find the 114 proof version though.
View Quote

That’s unfortunate. OGD 114 is one of my all time favorites. Also unbeatable for the price ($30) in my opinion. I try to keep a couple on hand at all times.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Wepner:
View Quote

I like the 114 quite a bit, but didn’t care for the BiB.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ENDEX:

That’s unfortunate. OGD 114 is one of my all time favorites. Also unbeatable for the price ($30) in my opinion. I try to keep a couple on hand at all times.
View Quote

I have a bottle chillin' in the basement.  I haven't tried it; but it's $30, hot, and Jim Beam.  As long as my expectations aren't too high, I figure I won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
For $35~ this stuff is pretty decent
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Current state of the treasury
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Added a few more to the lineup.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Added a few more to the lineup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/IMG_0477-3154996.jpg
View Quote

My brother has been recommending Traveller lately.

His taste in bourbon is close to mine so it must be pretty good. Funny though, because he likes Scotch too, I don't.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By shack357:

My brother has been recommending Traveller lately.

His taste in bourbon is close to mine so it must be pretty good. Funny though, because he likes Scotch too, I don't.
View Quote

It’s alright.  A bit boring, but alright. I got my bottle for 25 dollars with a Binnys coupon so I can’t complain.  For 40 or over, there are far better bottles available.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#43]
Got lucky in NV and picked these up in a NV liquor store. The last bottle they had of each and I was happy to over pay -
Weller 12 $239.49
Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch $59.49
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Got lucky in NV and picked these up in a NV liquor store. The last bottle they had of each and I was happy to over pay -
Weller 12 $239.49
https://i.imgur.com/LQn0cHbl.jpg
View Quote

Weller 12 retails for $43 and EH Taylor retails for $50. I probably would have snagged the EHT and passed on the Weller.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Weller 12 retails for $43 and EH Taylor retails for $50. I probably would have snagged the EHT and passed on the Weller.
View All Quotes
Weller 12 $239.49
https://i.imgur.com/LQn0cHbl.jpg

Understood, my purchase options are limited. I had a bottle at a store in NV within my grasp a couple weeks ago and by the time I asked what others are paying here and got a quick response it was gone. It def is high 2ndary price but it's absolutely not available where I am in Idaho so I don't pass a liquor store without going in when I am out of state.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#48]
When it rains, it pours.. got 3.5 bottles yesterday from a buddy for some help lifting furniture and my brother in law because he has been lightening his bottle stash due to issues drinking bourbon lately...hence the half bottle of 1924.  He has been getting really picky on what he drinks lately since its messing with his stomach.

1870 and JD Triple Mash for moving furniture, and the OF SBBS K6 and 1924 for just being me.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
When it rains, it pours.. got 3.5 bottles yesterday from a buddy for some help lifting furniture and my brother in law because he has been lightening his bottle stash due to issues drinking bourbon lately...hence the half bottle of 1924.  He has been getting really picky on what he drinks lately since its messing with his stomach.

1870 and JD Triple Mash for moving furniture, and the OF SBBS K6 and 1924 for just being me.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240311_172442327_PORTRAIT_2_jpg-3156301.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#50]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240311_172442327_PORTRAIT_2_jpg-3156301.JPG
View Quote
I had a couple of different Texas store picks of that Single Barrel.  Really, really good IMO.
Page / 117
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 114 of 117)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top