Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 115 of 117)
Page / 117
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m fairly new to the art of “neat” bourbon drinking but had a friend recommend Old Elk to me. He drinks the straight rye but I decided to try the four grain after some reviews online. I also picked up a bottle of Makers 46 to try.

My thoughts as of now are that the $35 bottle of Makers 46 is better than the $105 bottle of Old Elk. I know we’re talking a difference between 90 and 105 proof, but it wasn’t the spice that I’m not a fan of. Just seems like the alcohol completely overpowers any of the flavor notes in this bottle of Old Elk.

For those who have tried the Old Elk Four Grain, what’s your thoughts? What might I be missing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coyotehawk:
I’m fairly new to the art of “neat” bourbon drinking but had a friend recommend Old Elk to me. He drinks the straight rye but I decided to try the four grain after some reviews online. I also picked up a bottle of Makers 46 to try.

My thoughts as of now are that the $35 bottle of Makers 46 is better than the $105 bottle of Old Elk. I know we’re talking a difference between 90 and 105 proof, but it wasn’t the spice that I’m not a fan of. Just seems like the alcohol completely overpowers any of the flavor notes in this bottle of Old Elk.

For those who have tried the Old Elk Four Grain, what’s your thoughts? What might I be missing?
View Quote

The more you drink the more your palate opens up, some of the higher proof stuff is not going to show itself until you are used to it.. an acquired taste if you will.. not bad flavors, just your tongue is not there yet.

However, you might just not like it too!  just because its expensive does not mean its good even if others "like" it.  Ive had some pours folks liked just to find i dont like it.  I am starting to think there is a portion of online reviews where they say they like but but they really dont, they are just trying to justify how much they spent lol.  YMMV.

I try and try an expensive one before I buy it.. but then again, I only have a few expensive bottles I even entertain buying anyways.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hater:
I had a couple of different Texas store picks of that Single Barrel.  Really, really good IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hater:
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
When it rains, it pours.. got 3.5 bottles yesterday from a buddy for some help lifting furniture and my brother in law because he has been lightening his bottle stash due to issues drinking bourbon lately...hence the half bottle of 1924.  He has been getting really picky on what he drinks lately since its messing with his stomach.

1870 and JD Triple Mash for moving furniture, and the OF SBBS K6 and 1924 for just being me.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240311_172442327_PORTRAIT_2_jpg-3156301.JPG
I had a couple of different Texas store picks of that Single Barrel.  Really, really good IMO.

it is fantastic... i have another store pick of SBBS ive been working on as well, another local place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So my daughter just called me and her store got in 30 bottles of this. So I told her I’d swing by on my way to work and grab some. $46.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Coyotehawk:

View Quote

Old Elk is over-priced for what you get, but they are tasty.

Their master distiller is a living-legend and has a cool story.

I'd stick with lower proof stuff if you're new to drinking neat so you can figure out what you like.

As you gain experience, you'll start gravitating to the higher proof stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Don’t discount your local hole in the wall convenience store…
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Whiskey Wednesday and back to Sunsets   Got this bottle for Christmas.  It's a little hot ..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sixgunsblazing] [#9]
Double tap, double shot
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Needs a Jameson crested
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
So my daughter just called me and her store got in 30 bottles of this. So I told her I’d swing by on my way to work and grab some. $46.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/IMG_1422-3157085.jpg
View Quote

Do you know anything about this, or had it before?  I've never seen it, until tonight at the store.  They had some at 116.3 proof.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Maroonfeather:

Do you know anything about this, or had it before?  I've never seen it, until tonight at the store.  They had some at 116.3 proof.
View All Quotes

Nope. Never seen or heard of it before. Just that they got it in and it was “allocated”. So she texted me and told me. I picked it up a couple hours later. Might try it this weekend. We’ll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 80thdiv313fa:
https://i.imgur.com/hSwoHSX_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand

Don’t discount your local hole in the wall convenience store…
View Quote

A stopper with the letter "T"!

That is the last letter I need.

Hurry up and drink it and send it to me.... PLEASE!

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TooTech:

View Quote
It doesn't count unless you buy and drink the bottle.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TooTech:

Or trade full bottles with friends to get all the letters

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#18]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

The problem with the bourbon boom is that plenty of shit whiskey tries to position itself as high end.  They depend on shilling reviews, glitzy marketing and artificial scarcity to drive prices up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alc1343:

I'd stick with lower proof stuff if you're new to drinking neat so you can figure out what you like.

The problem with the bourbon boom is that plenty of shit whiskey tries to position itself as high end.  They depend on shilling reviews, glitzy marketing and artificial scarcity to drive prices up.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1r9mgyRbtC/?igsh=MXBoZ3QyNHBmdml2dQ==
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By d16man:

Travelor is good. A little sweetness to it.  I have 4 bottles I recently bought.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By d16man:
Originally Posted By shack357:
Added a few more to the lineup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48955/IMG_0477-3154996.jpg

My brother has been recommending Traveller lately.

His taste in bourbon is close to mine so it must be pretty good. Funny though, because he likes Scotch too, I don't.

Travelor is good. A little sweetness to it.  I have 4 bottles I recently bought.

Just found a shitload of it in stock, looks like the price here is $39. I'll buy a bottle sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Nope. Never seen or heard of it before. Just that they got it in and it was “allocated”. So she texted me and told me. I picked it up a couple hours later. Might try it this weekend. We’ll see what happens.
View All Quotes

I found some good reviews on it.  Interested to hear what you think.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I do like some of the Irish I've had. My brother in law got me drinking Redbreast, that's one I liked.

Anyone know if there are different bottles of Redbreast by the way? The bottle he had, had a red breasted merganser on the label. Everything I can find has a robin on the label. Same stuff or different blend/age?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By shack357:

I do like some of the Irish I've had. My brother in law got me drinking Redbreast, that's one I liked.

Anyone know if there are different bottles of Redbreast by the way? The bottle he had, had a red breasted merganser on the label. Everything I can find has a robin on the label. Same stuff or different blend/age?
View Quote

Redbreast has some good stuff.  The 12 year Single Barrel Pot Still Cask Strength is my favorite.  Also like the 12 yr Single Barrel Pot Still and Lustau.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alc1343:

Old Elk isn't shit whiskey, it's just overpriced.

Nobody has a better hand on the wheel than Old Elk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks to a buddy who's friends with the manager at his local Sam's, I finally have all the letters. I hate that you have to have an inside guy to obtain this stuff (it's average at best), but that's the way the game is played now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mp40Gunner:
Thanks to a buddy who's friends with the manager at his local Sam's, I finally have all the letters. I hate that you have to have an inside guy to obtain this stuff (it's average at best), but that's the way the game is played now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404773/EE1D019D-84F1-4F6A-AD01-A9786C4FF871_jpe-3165248.JPG
View Quote

Both Ns?  They're different, if you didn't know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Both Ns?  They're different, if you didn't know.
View Quote
Yup. N and N:
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404773/EE1D019D-84F1-4F6A-AD01-A9786C4FF871_jpe-3165248.JPG
View Quote

I'm the opposite:  I think the juice is excellent & couldn't give two shits about the stoppers.  Next month I'll be at the distillery looking for more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Im working on my gold collection. I’ve had my hands on all of them but $$ stopped me. I can get it shipped to my door for about $120 if I really want to, however.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Grabbed this todayAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Finally got one today,

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Grabbed one of the recently released OH market Jack Daniel SBS Rye bottles.  It's very nice, these higher level JD products continue to impress.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Grabbed one of the recently released OH market Jack Daniel SBS Rye bottles.  It's very nice, these higher level JD products continue to impress.
View Quote

I like the bonded rye and triple mash quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Need a shelf or cabinet to store my growing collection. Would you show me some ideas? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Sparky:
Need a shelf or cabinet to store my growing collection. Would you show me some ideas? Thanks
View Quote

I just drink more so that there's no need for either.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Love Rittenhouse Rye. Great neat or in Old Fashioneds. I must have missed it before, but now I notice it at a few liquor stores I go to and it's been my go-to Rye next to High West.

One of the stores I frequent had a bottle of Blanton's on the counter. $120. Was tempted but didn't FOMO on it. Said they get one bottle every 2-3 months. First time I've seen it in Colorado!

Store I went to last night had 4 bottles of Buffalo Trace. After having it stocked all over the place, it's become rare again. Was happy to pick up a bottle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: operatorerror] [#45]
At Costco today.  Booker's  2024-01  Springfield Batch  $79.99.  I generally like Booker's, even the "bad" batches. Anyone heard anything good or bad about this batch?  I mean, not that it matters much,  I got mine.

I can't get my picture to load,  I'm working on it...there it is!

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By operatorerror:
At Costco today.  Booker's  2024-01  Springfield Batch  $79.99.  I generally like Booker's, even the "bad" batches. Anyone heard anything good or bad about this batch?  I mean, not that it matters much,  I got mine.

I can't get my picture to load,  I'm working on it...there it is!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5980/IMG_1540-1-3186179.jpg

View Quote

No limit at my Costco. I picked up 2 last weekend. Although my Costco was $5 higher at $84.99
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sparky:
View Quote

Storage shelves from Costco for the second tier whiskey.
Then let it start stacking up in the corner of a workbench until it eventually fills the whole 7' x 3' bench.
Finally stack the 3rd tier stuff like Jameson and 2 Gingers with the rum on another storage shelf in the corner of the basement. Knowing it will only be opened when your relatives that mix everything from a $500 bottle to a $16.99 bottle with Diet Coke when they visit.
Eventually cramming bottles anywhere there is open space in your storeroom like next to the mouth wash and toothpaste.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Got drawn in a bourbon raffle for a Blanton's barrel select.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ll be driving through Kentucky pretty soon. What does Buffalo Trace distillery normally keep in stock?
Page / 117
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 115 of 117)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top