Site Notices
Interesting Ruski stuff (Page 4 of 72)
Page / 72
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#2]
The armor protection of the T-72 tank

A GDR NVA T-72M1 cut open by the Swedish Army, possible the same tank from the first picture:

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Very nice airplane
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Troutman84:
The Russians sure do make some ugly shit.
View Quote

Their late model fighters tend to be beautiful.

This stuff? Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:
I just discovered this youtube channel today.

Sub Brief

He was a former sonar man on a US sub apparently and he has more info than you'd probably ever want on Russian subs.

Very interesting stuff if you're even mildly into that kind of thing.
View Quote

Fell in that YT rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By swede1986:
Russians are quite inventive when it comes to weapons and aerospace, and their stuff looks cool from a distance. However, every piece of Russian weaponry, and every Russian aircraft, I've seen up close has looked like dogshit compared to their Western equivalents.

Their engineers may be good, but the manufacturing isn't.
View Quote

I sat in a Russian Mig-23. There is a 4 inch vertical line down the instrument panel right in the middle.

It is there so when it departs controlled flight, the pilot has a reference of where to put the stick laterally to try to recover that piece of shit and get it out of the spin.

LOL.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bushmaster069:

I'll see your turbo prop amphibian and raise you a jet amphibian.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Beriev_A-40_Gelendzhik_2Sept2004.jpg/800px-Beriev_A-40_Gelendzhik_2Sept2004.jpg
View Quote
I have often wondered why amphibians are not more widely produced.  This design seems neat, but what could Airbus or Embraer do with a similar concept?  Or would it simply be priced too high, go buy another narrow-body, nothing to see here?
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#10]

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
ILYUSHIN IL-76 MIDNIGHT Departure with INCREDIBLE SOUND

I’ve always liked the Ilyushin IL-76 cargo plane. It’s like a 1970s semi-truck with wings; loud, smoky, a handful to operate, but reliable and old-school cool.

Epic !!! Ilyushin Il-76 (Volga-Dnepr) arrival and departure from St. Kitts Airport

The new PS-90 turbofans are better in every conceivable way, but they lack the visceral shriek of four Soloviev D-30KPs straining to drag the aluminum pig into the air.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I have often wondered why amphibians are not more widely produced.  This design seems neat, but what could Airbus or Embraer do with a similar concept?  Or would it simply be priced too high, go buy another narrow-body, nothing to see here?
View Quote

Helicopters are the main reason for the lack of amphibians,combined with most places that would merit a large aircraft have room for building a runway.

That doesn't mean I don't wish that the Tradewind and Seamaster didn't see full potential development.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
View Quote

Because its all the cost of a boat, and all of the cost of a plane.

Though, I like the fact that the general form of the P6M lives.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#14]
Cool thread.

The N1 rocket was the most powerful rocket ever built. Unfortunately after the lead designer Korolev passed away they ran into a number of issues.

Four launch attempts all failed in one way or another, one of which resulted in one the largest non nuclear explosions ever created. It's a shame as a Soviet presence on the moon would probably have encouraged America to continue its lunar programs.

Attachment Attached File

Compared to the Saturn V:

Attachment Attached File

Soviet rockets are assembled horizontally and moved on special trains:

Attachment Attached File

One of the launch failures:

Attachment Attached File

It would have carried a special Soyuz spacecraft as well as the LK lunar lander. The LK was a bit more crude than the Grumman built Lunar Module and only able to carry one crewman but it likely would have got the job done:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Helicopters are the main reason for the lack of amphibians,combined with most places that would merit a large aircraft have room for building a runway.

That doesn't mean I don't wish that the Tradewind and Seamaster didn't see full potential development.

View Quote

The P6M would have been a better strike investment than any of the USAF medium bombers. However, the USN had to chose between it and Polaris.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYi6hKBu0bg

I’ve always liked the Ilyushin IL-76 cargo plane. It’s like a 1970s semi-truck with wings; loud, smoky, a handful to operate, but reliable and old-school cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPKAi-iYUY0

The new PS-90 turbofans are better in every conceivable way, but they lack the visceral shriek of four Soloviev D-30KPs straining to drag the aluminum pig into the air.
View Quote

The old Vodka Burner.

Russian IL-76 attempts to crash during takeoff
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironhandjohn] [#17]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

The old Vodka Burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoZNxy2JZk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The old Vodka Burner.

“We have Smirnoff!!”

Those Aussie guys are a hoot, but how overloaded was that old bird? Volga/Dnepr’s Silk Air’s motto: “If It Fits, It Ships!”
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Fascinating thread. Russian culture is weird as fuck, and their equipment certainly shows it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
The replacement for the AN-2 looks just as whacky as the original:

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I took a TRIZ class for a CEU a few years ago; the way TRIZ problem solving works made it perfectly clear what Russian items have a distinct look, it was quite fascinating.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCT_92.htm
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]

That's the 1/3 scale wind tunnel test model.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#23]

Have you been to the Soviet arcade in SPB? They have a ton of Soviet arcade games from the 60s-80s, it's pretty cool. In one room they play all the old Soviet era cartoons.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#24]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Have you been to the Soviet arcade in SPB? They have a ton of Soviet arcade games from the 60s-80s, it's pretty cool. In one room they play all the old Soviet era cartoons.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45602/62197724_10103886706530948_6238366239966-1536797.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45602/62197724_10103886706530948_6238366239966-1536797.JPG

I'm orders of magnitude more likely to be back in Russia someday then ever setting foot in China, but that is still very unlikely. Never been to ol' Peter, though... that would be something to hunt down if the fates get all crazy toward me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I'm orders of magnitude more likely to be back in Russia someday then ever setting foot in China, but that is still very unlikely. Never been to op' Peter, though... that would be something to hunt down if the fates get all crazy toward me.
View All Quotes

I'm orders of magnitude more likely to be back in Russia someday then ever setting foot in China, but that is still very unlikely. Never been to op' Peter, though... that would be something to hunt down if the fates get all crazy toward me.

It's not a bad way to spend an afternoon and $15 or so. Maybe not real high on the priority list, but once you've seen the main things or if you need a break it's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]

It's not a bad way to spend an afternoon and $15 or so. Maybe not real high on the priority list, but once you've seen the main things or if you need a break it's pretty neat.
View All Quotes

That's actually the kind of thing I'd have high on my list.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Me too actually, but most people would be more interested in the Hermitage lol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I've lived in Vienna. I've been ruined for museums. Would go there for maybe half a day, I suppose.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]

I've lived in Vienna. I've been ruined for museums. Would go there for maybe half a day, I suppose.

View All Quotes

I had a quick day or so in Vienna. It's overwhelming....I need to go back and be more thorough. Gorgeous place though.

The Hermitage is great- tons of stuff of course. Ruined by Chinese tourists. You can get a pretty idea of what it's like there if you watch Russian Ark which is an interesting movie (plus no tourists)
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's how you rescue a cat stuck in a tree in Russia.

Make sure you have English subtitles on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
In before the pic of Rasputin’s pickled penis.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Some assholes in a crowd hit one of our MRAPs full of my buddies in Iraq in 2011.   Decent fucking weapon. The MRAP was a total loss but the crew survived.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]

I had a quick day or so in Vienna. It's overwhelming....I need to go back and be more thorough. Gorgeous place though.

The Hermitage is great- tons of stuff of course. Ruined by Chinese tourists. You can get a pretty idea of what it's like there if you watch Russian Ark which is an interesting movie (plus no tourists)
View All Quotes

Have seen Russian Ark, "interesting" is a good way to put it. All filmed in one continuous take, if I recall.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Bear or the wolves need to eat Masha.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#37]
Originally Posted By Maccrage:

View All Quotes

My jaw dropped when I was at my brother's house and I saw there was an English version of those out. He didn't even know it was Russian. I guess there's very little in writing in the background, just the occasional book or jar in a shelf. His daughter was glued to it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maccrage] [#38]

My jaw dropped when I was at my brother's house and I saw there was an English version of those out. He didn't even know it was Russian. I guess there's very little in writing in the background, just the occasional book or jar in a shelf. His daughter was glued to it.
View All Quotes

My 1yo son loves it. I realized it was Russian as soon as I saw the ambulance the wolves live in.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Black out. It's some russian movie. Get this the helicopter pilot is not a vaguely Hispanic chick named Rodriguez.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By elcope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Nr31Lv6H8

View Quote

I’m crying.   That army or police guy was good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Have seen Russian Ark, "interesting" is a good way to put it. All filmed in one continuous take, if I recall.
View All Quotes

Yup. Strange movie. Not for everyone....for people interested in Russian culture it's a 90 min glimpse into it I guess.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

View All Quotes

We have acquired electricity

I'm going home

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]
In before Nagant?

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm going home

View Quote

Watch the cat when he grabs hold of the wires, he got a little taste.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#46]

I'm going home

View All Quotes

I'm going home

What he said is not really translatable.

Russians use the same word for mains electrical power as the word for light, svet.

And, when a lightbulb is lit they often use the term for starting a flame, as if in an old lantern, zagorelcya (literally: caught itself on fire). The same verb used used of something catches on fire, like a forest or a dumpster.

That's not the only word that can be used that can be used to refer to electric lights. That was deliberate, to allow all the double metaphorical meanings to come to play.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]

“We have Smirnoff!!”

Those Aussie guys are a hoot, but how overloaded was that old bird? Volga/Dnepr’s Silk Air’s motto: “If It Fits, It Ships!”
View All Quotes

The old Vodka Burner.

“We have Smirnoff!!”

It wouldn't have got off the ground if it had one more bottle of vodka on board.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elcope] [#48]

Russians use the same word for mains electrical power as the word for light, svet.

And, when a lightbulb is lit they often use the term for starting a flame, as if in an old lantern, zagorelcya (literally: caught itself on fire). The same verb used used of something catches on fire, like a forest or a dumpster.

That's not the only word that can be used that can be used to refer to electric lights. That was deliberate, to allow all the double metaphorical meanings to come to play.

View Quote

Jesus Christ, White, don't fuck up Russian humor.

ETA: Look at the cat when he grabs the power line.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I'm trying to help you guys appreciate the humor more.

And, I couldn't help but look at that cat grab the power lines.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I'm going home

So many things like this in Russian. My wife is always like "well...it's kind of a complicated translation"
Page / 72
Interesting Ruski stuff (Page 4 of 72)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top