BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 504
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Maybe a buy-worthy dip today?  Not just for bitcoin, but for everything!
No readily apparent change in the ETF flows.  If the bitcoin price is attributable to iran/Israel then it should bounce back after Israel bombs Iranian stuff within a day or two.

Read this in the news, perhaps good fuel for some extra demand once they become available:

View Quote

WWIII couldn't have started a few days earlier before my buys, eh?

Glad I've got a decade long outlook on this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#2]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
WWIII couldn't have started a few days earlier before my buys, eh?

Glad I've got a decade long outlook on this.
View Quote

Look at it this way - even if ww3 happens we know what the outcome will be so the only unknown is how long you have to wait for bitcoin to recover.  
My money says it will blow over in a day or three.  

I stumbled into some bitx today, so I really hope it blows over fast!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea how true this is. Without substantiation, seems a bit alarmist. I'd guess it largely affects those who don't use 2FA but who knows.

I also hope anyone here isn't keeping their assets on their phone anyhow, much less in Trust Wallet.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Naporter:
No idea how true this is. Without substantiation, seems a bit alarmist. I'd guess it largely affects those who don't use 2FA but who knows.

I also hope anyone here isn't keeping their assets on their phone anyhow, much less in Trust Wallet.

View Quote

What's wrong with Trust Wallet?  My assets are on the block chain, not my phone, or ledger, or paper wallet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
What's wrong with Trust Wallet?  My assets are on the block chain, not my phone, or ledger, or paper wallet.
View Quote

Heavy sigh.  Your bitcoin is on the blockchain.  The keys to your bitcoin -- or the data to generate the keys, whichever -- are sitting in a file on your phone.  If your phone's OS is defective and allows other applications to peek at your keys whenever your wallet is opened (or maybe even when it isn't), then your keys are in the hands of whoever wants to write some code to do that.

I don't know why people trust their smartphones.  I might put a couple of hundred bucks in a phone-based LN wallet, but I'm not going to store any major amount on a device that is nearly continuously accessible over radio.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_J:

I covered this in another thread a week or so ago with our arfcom Apple guy and he said it was a non-issue theoretical only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_J:

I covered this in another thread a week or so ago with our arfcom Apple guy and he said it was a non-issue theoretical only.

Good to know. I expected it was hyperbole. Seemed a bit surprising a day 0 exploit would be possible and not have been heavily exploited already.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

Heavy sigh.  Your bitcoin is on the blockchain.  The keys to your bitcoin -- or the data to generate the keys, whichever -- are sitting in a file on your phone.  If your phone's OS is defective and allows other applications to peek at your keys whenever your wallet is opened (or maybe even when it isn't), then your keys are in the hands of whoever wants to write some code to do that.

I don't know why people trust their smartphones.  I might put a couple of hundred bucks in a phone-based LN wallet, but I'm not going to store any major amount on a device that is nearly continuously accessible over radio.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Exactly. It's a common misconception.

"BuT bItCoIn Is UnHaCkAbLe!"

Yeah, but the 4 or 6 digit pin you've secured your private key with isn't.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Well, mine's secured with a 43 character password, another 36 character password, another nine character password, and being on a hard drive that I don't connect to a computer that is ever connected to the internet, but 4 to 6 digits is probably ok too.

It's not so much the pin or password, though.  A lot of malware (at least on desktops) hides in resident memory and scans constantly for Bitcoin addresses on the clipboard, then replaces them.  Among other risks.  It doesn't matter what your password is if your keys are on a computer that is online, and which might get infected with malware.  They don't just copy the wallet.dat file (or whatever a particular wallet software package uses), they try to scan active processes' memory for bitcoin keys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#10]

Well, mine's secured with a 43 character password, another 36 character password, another nine character password, and being on a hard drive that I don't connect to a computer that is ever connected to the internet, but 4 to 6 digits is probably ok too.

It's not so much the pin or password, though.  A lot of malware (at least on desktops) hides in resident memory and scans constantly for Bitcoin addresses on the clipboard, then replaces them.  Among other risks.  It doesn't matter what your password is if your keys are on a computer that is online, and which might get infected with malware.  They don't just copy the wallet.dat file (or whatever a particular wallet software package uses), they try to scan active processes' memory for bitcoin keys.
View All Quotes

Secure everything you can with a physical 2fa device. Such as a yubikey. AFAIK it's unhackable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

Secure everything you can with a physical 2fa device. Such as a yubikey. AFAIK it's unhackable.
View Quote
Except for a wrench attack
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Except for a wrench attack
View Quote

C'mon, you forget the site you're on.  I'll see your wrench and raise you a shield plus edc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
View Quote

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Brief wick to $61,314 triggered a limit buy.

We've been in a downward trend since April 8th and are below the 55dEMA.  If people feel the need, they should position some money and set limit buys.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

View Quote

I don't have a misconception, you literally stated the assets "were on the phone" which is misleading on a topic that regularly comes up in this thread.  The phrases and passcodes existing and being vulnerable to a security breach of your phone I understand.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, and a discussion of the various risks of various wallets is always warranted, but that particularly loose language is extremely confusing to many people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Torf:

We've been in a downward trend since April 8th and are below the 55dEMA.  If people feel the need, they should position some money and set limit buys.
View Quote

yup.  I've got one at $60k.  Wonder if it'll hit.  Could use my average buy brought down
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#18]
According to Coinbase, at 10:30am it hit exactly $60,000.00, before inching upwards to the current $60,2xx...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ender875] [#19]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
According to Coinbase, at 10:30am it hit exactly $60,000.00, before inching upwards to the current $60,2xx...
View Quote

yup!  was just going to post that it hit!

Although, it was at 11:44 est for me for some reason.  Only took less than 3 days since I set up the limit

eta:
No it hit at 10:30.  Just took until 11:44 to complete I guess.
4/14/24 10:30:00
Time of Last Fill
4/17/24 11:44:12
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ender875:

yup.  I've got one at $60k.  Wonder if it'll hit.  Could use my average buy brought down
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ender875:

Yes

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got a limit buy at $59,999.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 2thflr:
Just got a limit buy at $59,999.
View Quote

im waiting until it drops below 60k again.  this is my first time buying crypto and going in pretty good
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
If 60k support fails it could go much lower.

Had a small limit order fill at 61k, got money on the way in case it does go lower.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a big (for me) buy in at 60k today. The more it dips, the more I load up. This does mean I'm not following the plan of DCAing though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Megastorm:
BAIL... BAIL... BAIL...

I just dumped all my BTC at 66,920

And put a buy stop in at 67,920

Got a good bad feeling..

Bitcoin Correction Could Deepen - Bulls Eye $60k Level as Next Key Buy Zone
https://www.investing.com/analysis/bitcoin-correction-could-deepen--bulls-eye-60k-level-as-next-key-buy-zone-200647362

Hoping to ride it down to low 60s lowering my buy stop as it falls then get bought back in just over the bottom and increase my coin stack.
View Quote

Well damn. You were right.  I hope you got in at that or lower.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's looking like my sale of $69 worth of BTC at $69,420 was a good idea.   Major profit!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#27]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
It's looking like my sale of $69 worth of BTC at $69,420 was a good idea.   Major profit!
View Quote

HUGE!

I'd be pretty upset knowing I could have waited a week and accumulated an extra 15% BTC for the same price...But...Hey...I just look 10 years into the future and couldn't give two flying fucks.  Replace gold, real estate, bonds, stocks...Good-bye...Good riddance.  Feels good to leave legacy finance.  I'll run with it to zero with a smile on my face.  It's not about the Dollars and Benjamins anymore.  

Picked up your $69 today at a discount.  You'll never see it again!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#29]
Figure out your retirement on a BTC Standard, boyos

https://bitcoincompounding.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I’m confused. I thought we weren’t selling our BTC for fiat?

According to these calculations, in 2034 I will be able to buy Canada and still have enough for the next 20 years of ball’n.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:52:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#32]
Looks like the halving could occur tomorrow night around 10pm at the earliest.

232 blocks remaining.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
https://i.imgur.com/ZzBvcdB.jpeg
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
https://i.imgur.com/ZzBvcdB.jpeg
View Quote

lmfao.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#35]
Originally Posted By goloud:

According to these calculations, in 2034 I will be able to buy Canada and still have enough for the next 20 years of ball’n.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goloud:

It's a tool. If you want to sell for dirty fucking fiat into your retirement, it's a solid "What if" on what can be accomplished.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

According to these calculations, I'll be a billionaire!  

I expect Bitcoin's CAGR to outperform for awhile but this seems a bit optimistic that it'll still be chugging at 10%+ by 2053.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#37]
Block #839800 just finished.  200 left.

I think that "retirement tool" is showing present value in $ for several different curve fits similar to the rainbow chart.  I don't know if any of it will play out accurately since it shows BTC hitting $10 million in what I believe are today's dollars which might be a little far fetched, even for 2050.  It's just a bunch of assumptions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#38]

I think that "retirement tool" is showing present value in $ for several different curve fits similar to the rainbow chart.  I don't know if any of it will play out accurately since it shows BTC hitting $10 million in what I believe are today's dollars which might be a little far fetched, even for the mid 2030's.
View Quote

Yeah, that tool is too bearish for me. I don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I think that "retirement tool" is showing present value in $ for several different curve fits similar to the rainbow chart.  I don't know if any of it will play out accurately since it shows BTC hitting $10 million in what I believe are today's dollars which might be a little far fetched, even for the mid 2030's.

Haha!

Still impressive even with a bearish model.  The most conservative one shows 0.5 BTC spinning off $100k in value for many years, and only getting down to 1/4 BTC in 2053 with total value still climbing.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
Looks like the halving could occur tomorrow night around 10pm at the earliest.

232 blocks remaining.
View Quote

In GMT it will be on Hitler's birthday!  It's a sign!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Haha!

Still impressive even with a bearish model.  The most conservative one shows 0.5 BTC spinning off $100k in value for many years, and only getting down to 1/4 BTC in 2053 with total value still climbing.  
View All Quotes

Haha!

My real problem with it is none of the models make me a Billionaire by 2053. I am DISAPPOINT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Not sure I understand this.

Is it saying btc will be 1 - 2 million in 10 years?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#44]
Originally Posted By Got_Nukes:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Got_Nukes:

Roughly. Depending on which model you choose it shows different CAGR. Look at their chart then coordinate with the boundaries you believe may happen. Then you can input your decided annual disbursements of your current stack to yourself as a living Standard in whichever year you wish to retire and follow the flow and valuation of your remaining BTC relative to USD through those years up to 2053.

Bitcoin continues putting in ATHs...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Roughly. Depending on which model you choose it shows different CAGR. Look at their chart then coordinate with the boundaries you believe may happen. Then you can input your decided annual disbursements of your current stack to yourself as a living Standard in whichever year you wish to retire and follow the flow and valuation of your remaining BTC relative to USD through those years up to 2053.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268409/1000009383_jpg-3191352.JPG
View Quote
The way I look at the chart, it appears that there is a constant and increasing amount of investment in mining BTC.  Could one rationally make the analogy that it's like an investment in gold mining?  Investors are willing to spend a lot of money buying equipment to bring up a precious metal because they know that it's lucrative.  It appears that this graph is showing that investors are willing to spend a lot of money on assets to mine BTC, knowing that their proceeds are lucrative.  Am I off on this or is it a simplistic view?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

damn it.....slow down.  make it to 4/20!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The way I look at the chart, it appears that there is a constant and increasing amount of investment in mining BTC.  Could one rationally make the analogy that it's like an investment in gold mining?  Investors are willing to spend a lot of money buying equipment to bring up a precious metal because they know that it's lucrative.  It appears that this graph is showing that investors are willing to spend a lot of money on assets to mine BTC, knowing that their proceeds are lucrative.  Am I off on this or is it a simplistic view?
View All Quotes

Basically, more and more entities are finding it a lucrative enough proposition to invest grandiose amounts of investment and energy into mining Bitcoin. As they do so, they further secure the network and solidify Bitcoin's success.

It's a choice to adopt, power on, and secure Bitcoin. The graph shows huge entities doing just that.  

If you've ever got doubt, you can witness Game Theory in a chart.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Bitcoin Halving Countdown

Won’t be long now…
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:54:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#49]
Offered to buy my buddy's stack in cash. He said "No. I'm going to see if you're right in the end." At least some people find my arguments compelling.  

Going to take my money to auction instead...

Original "Buy Bitcoin" sign at auction
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:41:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caeser2001] [#50]
Offered to buy my buddy's stack in cash. He said "No. I'm going to see if you're right in the end." At least some people find my arguments compelling.  

Going to take my money to auction instead...

Original "Buy Bitcoin" sign at auction
View Quote

Wow, you'd think that'd be selling for more. Look st some of the crazy prices NFTs were going for last bull run.

Now, THAT, would would be something worth turning into an ordinal.
Page / 504
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top