Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5583 of 5588)
Page / 5588
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Yeah, that's it.

Another perspective from 3 months ago:

The old video.
View Quote

It sure didnt hit a mine since it had stopped for a few seconds before the kaboom. Good shot whatever it was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]

NSFW!!!!

Most likely an anti handling device/fuze.

View Quote

Damn. Fuck that. And that was my MOS!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

The Russians haven't slowed down their optempo much, if any during mud season. They've continued assaulting Ukrainian positions non-stop all across the front line, often taking heavy losses in the process. So, I doubt we're going to see much in the way of daring armored thrusts. Rather, I expect to just see more of the same. People are talking about a major summer offensive, but I don't think that's going to materialize. Once again, I just expect an extension of the current offensive. The Russians likely believe they can break the UAF in the relatively near future, hence why they've been keeping their foot on the gas and forcing extremely high optempos, even in the face of mud season and very high losses. It's not sustainable long term, and I don't think there will be enough in reserve for the Russians to conduct some sort of major armored thrust over the summer, but the Russians are probably betting that they can crack the UAF before the unsustainability of their current pace truly sets in. It remains to be seen who's right.
View Quote

I wonder if anything will change now that the UA is getting resupplied (hopefully ASAP)? It seems like the Russians have been pushing this hard expecting the UA to break, as if they had some inside intel or something.

It seems that the Republican Congress critters were against the aid package until they got a briefing on the situation so maybe things are/were not looking good. The UA intel chief posted about things getting worse around June. I hope the resupply is VERY generous and can turn the tide.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]

It would break my heart if I were a ATGM gunner and I saw one of those museum pieces commandeered and assaulting me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]

NSFW!!!!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]

NSFW!!!!

View Quote

Seems like carrying around a 100' length of thin rope might be worth it, to remotely disturb suspicious objects in a war zone. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ukraine to pull the M1A1 Abrams tanks from the front line.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-pulls-us-provided-abrams-tanks-from-the-front-lines-over-russian-drone-threats/ar-AA1nG6jU

I don't really buy the stated reason. Drones would pose an equal threat to pretty much all tanks. So what is the real problem they are experiencing with the Abrams? I suspect they might be simply wanting to hold them back for decisive future operations, given how few of them they have.

That said, I definitely think these tanks should be equipped with the Trophy APS. If the Abrams is going to be their silver bullet tank, then lets make it as close to invincible as possible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:03:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#9]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-pulls-us-provided-abrams-tanks-from-the-front-lines-over-russian-drone-threats/ar-AA1nG6jU

I don't really buy the stated reason. Drones would pose an equal threat to pretty much all tanks. So what is the real problem they are experiencing with the Abrams? I suspect they might be simply wanting to hold them back for decisive future operations, given how few of them they have.

That said, I definitely think these tanks should be equipped with the Trophy APS. If the Abrams is going to be their silver bullet tank, then lets make it as close to invincible as possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Even if true, their removal is not something I'd announce or confirm publicly or as is popular these days "in anonymity" either. Once again, the lack of OPSEC on US/European/Ukrainian side is to me a disappointing head scratcher. The Russians will no doubt be hailing this news in as a win in their propaganda. And that propaganda continues to keep the Russian people in this fight.

eta:
Since then, however, Ukraine has only employed them in a limited fashion and has not made combined arms warfare part of its operations, the defense official said.

Yup. I don't expect that too change much too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Ukraine - 4 Elderly Women Droned

*graphic*
Link
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View All Quotes

NSFW!!!!

Yeah that was brutal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

NSFW!!!!

Amazing the little guy still had enough life force left to do the “dying Cockroach” dance so convincingly.    We are so robust, and yet so delicate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By zaphar:

Seems like carrying around a 100' length of thin rope might be worth it, to remotely disturb suspicious objects in a war zone. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
View Quote

No, your are not. We always had enough rope with us, when no EOD was available, we helped ourselfs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
@AlmightyTallest

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#15]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]
@AlmightyTallest

View Quote

lol, dude, it doesn't get any more funny than that.   All we need are the Ukrainian drone videos showcasing how bad that protection is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By guns762:

Weren't the Ukrainians working on proximity fuses for their drones?  This seems to be doing the work for them.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By guns762:
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

lol, dude, it doesn't get any more funny than that.   All we need are the Ukrainian drone videos showcasing how bad that protection is.

On a seperate note how close to the jet of the average shaped charge can a person ‘safely’ get.

Weren't the Ukrainians working on proximity fuses for their drones?  This seems to be doing the work for them.  

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Amazing the little guy still had enough life force left to do the “dying Cockroach” dance so convincingly.    We are so robust, and yet so delicate.
View All Quotes

NSFW!!!!

Yeah the dude who rag-dolled there was the lucky one.  That was rough.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#21]
The Game of Thrones in Russia continues.

Arrest of Russian defence minister's deputy may be strike by rival 'clan'

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/arrest-russian-defence-ministers-deputy-may-be-strike-by-rival-clan-2024-04-26/

LONDON, April 26 (Reuters) - Sergei Shoigu, Russia's defence minister, has tried to send a "business as usual" message since his deputy was arrested on a bribery charge. But the widening scandal looks bad for him too, and is seen as a push by a rival clan to dilute his power.
On the surface, the timing of the detention on Tuesday of Timur Ivanov, one of Shoigu's 12 deputy ministers, was unexpected, coming when Russia is waging war in Ukraine and the authorities have made discrediting the army a jailable offence.

Allegations of graft funding a lifestyle way beyond his means made against 48-year-old Ivanov by the late opposition politician Alexei Navalny's anti-corruption foundation had been in the public domain for more than a year with no apparent fallout.
Yet this week state TV suddenly showed Russians a perplexed-looking Ivanov - who denies wrongdoing - dressed in full military uniform, standing in a clear plastic courtroom cage of the type that so many Kremlin foes have occupied before him.

His arrest, say Russian political analysts including some former insiders, shows how the war is shaping infighting between the "clans" that jostle for wealth and influence in Russia's sharp-elbowed political system.
The clans - alliances of like-minded officials or business people - centre around the military, the intelligence and law enforcement agencies, the military-industrial complex and also include a group of people from President Vladimir Putin's native St Petersburg who have known him personally for many years.

"Someone in the elite didn't like the fact that Shoigu had grown stronger," Tatiana Stanovaya, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Russia Eurasia Center, told Reuters.
"This doesn't comes from Putin, but from people who are close to Putin who think that Shoigu has overplayed his hand. It's simply a battle against someone and a ministry that has got too powerful and an attempt to balance the situation."

Abbas Gallyamov, a former Kremlin speechwriter who is now designated as a "foreign agent" by the authorities, said he too saw the arrest as an attack on Shoigu that would weaken him.
"Ivanov is one of the closest people to Shoigu. His arrest on the eve of the appointment of a new government suggests that the current minister's chances of staying in his chair are sharply declining," he said.
Ivanov was arrested as a result of an investigation by the counterintelligence arm of the FSB security service, according to Russian state media.

LUCRATIVE MILITARY CONTRACTS

Ivanov's is the highest-profile corruption case since Putin sent troops into Ukraine in 2022. State media have reported that Shoigu has removed Ivanov from his post.
The scandal comes just two weeks before Putin is inaugurated for a fifth presidential term and before a government reshuffle expected next month at which Shoigu's job will, in theory, be up for grabs.

Ivanov was in charge of lucrative army construction and procurement contracts and is accused of taking huge bribes in the form of services worth, according to Russian media reports, at least 1 billion roubles ($10.8 million) in return for handing out defence ministry contracts to certain companies.
While few are willing to bet Shoigu will lose his job because of the scandal, given his loyalty to Putin, Ivanov's arrest is seen as a reversal for his boss, who's influence and access to the Kremlin chief has been elevated by his key role in the Ukraine war.
The Moscow Times cited a senior government official as calling the arrest a serious blow to Shoigu's camp and cited a source close to the defence ministry as saying that the arrest was more about politics and "Sergei Shoigu's weakening position" than about Ivanov.
Shoigu and the top army brass have at times been the focus of vicious criticism from Russian war bloggers and nationalists who have accused him, particularly after a string of retreats in 2022, of incompetence.

Shoigu survived an abortive coup led by Wagner mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin, since killed in a plane crash, who in June last year orchestrated a march on Moscow to try to topple him, but his authority was damaged. Putin said the events could have plunged Russia into civil war.

'FEASTING IN A TIME OF PLAGUE'

Shoigu had since managed to win back Putin's trust, but the arrest of his deputy is a renewed setback.
"It indirectly damages Shoigu. Questions arise. How is it that a person who was close to him and who he brought on managed to steal so much under Shoigu's own nose?" said Carnegie's Stanovaya.

Sergei Markov, a former Kremlin adviser, has forecast that Shoigu, in post since 2012, will keep his job regardless.
"Everyone is wondering - could this be a signal to Shoigu that he will not be in the next government after 7 May?" Markov wrote on his official blog.
"Calm down. He will be. Shoigu has created a new army since the disastrous year of 2022 which repelled the offensive of the Ukrainian army in 2023. And in 2024, the army is already advancing."

There is much about the background to Ivanov's arrest that remains unknown. Multiple theories are circulating in Moscow about whether the bribery accusation is the whole story, with unconfirmed media reports that he may also be accused of state treason, something his lawyer has denied.
Some have suggested that it was perhaps his love of a Western lifestyle at a time when Putin says Russia is engaged in an existential struggle with the West that may have been his downfall.

Others believe his family's fondness for luxury European holidays, yacht rentals, Rolls-Royce cars and opulent parties was fine before the war but was now seen as "feasting at a time of plague", a Russian literary reference.

Shoigu has remained silent on the scandal, inspecting a space launch facility this week as if nothing had happened.
The Kremlin has told journalists to rely solely on official sources and has said that the often vast construction projects which Ivanov oversaw - such as the reconstruction of the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol - will not be affected. ($1 = 92.2705 roubles)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

In 12B (Combat Engineer) school we had to practice disarming (US M19 iirc) )AT mines with the anti-tampering "mouse trap" on the bottom. You'd have to dig a hole next to the mine enough to fit your hand under the mine so you could feel around for them, then try to disarm it. I got blown up in class (loud pop, like a firecracker). And that was under ideal conditions in a classroom. Typically you just find and mark the mines then they are blown in place. But in a place like Ukraine with literally millions of mines everywhere, I can see how they would just pick them up and stack them in piles. But at a minimum, I would have some rope/550 cord with a hook or something to flip the mine from 15-20 yards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Even if true, their removal is not something I'd announce or confirm publicly or as is popular these days "in anonymity" either. Once again, the lack of OPSEC on US/European/Ukrainian side is to me a disappointing head scratcher. The Russians will no doubt be hailing this news in as a win in their propaganda. And that propaganda continues to keep the Russian people in this fight.

eta:
View All Quotes

eta:
Since then, however, Ukraine has only employed them in a limited fashion and has not made combined arms warfare part of its operations, the defense official said.

Or it IS going to change and this is a cover story to distract attention from Ukraine building some sort of mobile strike/counter-strike force.  Also, it could be a case where the Russian drone operators are making it a point to single out Abrams for extra attention; remember the I/O side of the fight where the Ruskies made the statement that the T-90 was superior to the Abrams?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#24]

eta:
View Quote

The news going public is probably a cry for help. 31 fucking tanks??!! That's like a busy day or a quiet week's worth in this fucking war!

I still say they should have painted them pink and parked them around the US embassy in Kyiv for security.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:15:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#25]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Or it IS going to change and this is a cover story to distract attention from Ukraine building some sort of mobile strike/counter-strike force.  Also, it could be a case where the Russian drone operators are making it a point to single out Abrams for extra attention; remember the I/O side of the fight where the Ruskies made the statement that the T-90 was superior to the Abrams?
View All Quotes

eta:

If they don’t have many it might make sense to hold them in reserve to counter any Russian breakthroughs with heavy mobile firepower, rather than just putting them into the grinder at the front. Or they could be holding them to exploit a Uke breakthrough but that seems unlikely given what we are seeing recently.

But really who knows how much if any of that story is true.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Ukraine - 4 Elderly Women Droned

*graphic*
Link
View Quote

WTF? Mistaken ID? Was in a UA drone or RU? I didnt want to look too much to read more...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Yes. Was thinking that also. I think his brain was in "run away!" mode literally like a dying roach. I'm very sorry any of this had to happen...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I'm sure the Russians have a hefty bounty on any Abrams and it's possible the Abrams crews are expressing concerns, requesting a T72 instead. There are so few of them anyway they are probably a shit (and drone) magnet. Anyway the US imposed ROE still probably demands that the turret stay in travel-lock until fired upon...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GBTX01:
View Quote

Yikes!

The drone was only at 56m or 183ft. Usually that's low enough to stay out of the way of manned aircraft. Obviously not this time.

It was only happenstance that aircraft didn't swallow that drone and blow out an engine (or worse).
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Pics of a crashed long-range fixed-wing Ukrainian UAV.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Yikes!

The drone was only at 56m or 183ft. Usually that's low enough to stay out of the way of manned aircraft. Obviously not this time.

It was only happenstance that aircraft didn't swallow that drone and blow out an engine (or worse).
View All Quotes

Yikes!

Skeptical.  No turbulence whatsoever?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I ran across this today, they are doing great work

How volunteers try to identify corpses on Ukraine's battlefields | DW News
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By doc540:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc540:

Yikes!

You can see in the video that the vehicle got pushed back quite a bit. Since the camera is on a gimbal, that would attenuate in the video what had to be a wild ride for the drone thru all that wake turbulence. I didn't see the arms of the drone in the frame (that you might see during a wild ride) so it could be a faked video but it might not be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
I ran across this today, they are doing great work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLFSnzv3kU
View Quote

Good watch, thanks.  I'm glad that level of humanity still exists in that conflict.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Of course they'd be singled out,  in a sea of former Warsaw Pact shit they're an HVT that will give a drone operator bragging rights.  If the UKE's keep em out front they'll eventually be down to zero,  it's just math.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
UK Defense Chief Says Ukraine To Increase Long-Range Strikes In Russia

Bless the Brits for Their support of Ukraine.  They're the only  ones who
treat it as an existential threat to Ukraine

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/uk-sends-record-aid-package-defense-chief-says-ukraine-increase-long-range-strikes
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Well the whole country is red with air alerts. Heard some kabooms about an hour ago while doing some wiring in the truck.  It's been an interesting couple weeks. It is bothering me that we hear cruise missiles flying, drones, explosions, and just continue doing whatever we are doing. This has become so normal that we are not even phased by it anymore. My girl back at home has been a nervous wreck though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Well the whole country is red with air alerts. Heard some kabooms about an hour ago while doing some wiring in the truck.  It's been an interesting couple weeks. It is bothering me that we hear cruise missiles flying, drones, explosions, and just continue doing whatever we are doing. This has become so normal that we are not even phased by it anymore. My girl back at home has been a nervous wreck though.
View Quote

To you and your lady... may you stay safe tonight.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Haub:
View Quote

Yeah two hard hits here. The telegram channel in Kharkiv is on point with alerts. They called them right before the hits.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

🇩🇰 An agreement was reached on Denmark's transfer to Ukraine of the country's entire fleet of F-16 fighter jets.

🇨🇿 At the end of May, beginning of June, deliveries of artillery shells purchased as part of the Czech initiative for Ukraine are expected.

👀 Other assistance will be discussed during Rammstein session this week.
View Quote

So how many F-16s from Denmark in total? 24 are being sold to Argentina. Denmark seems to have 30 in service currently. Unless they had more in storage that number seems quite small.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Like I said, if it works, we'll see more of them.

And it worked, Mk.3 survived multiple DPCIM hits.  

View Quote

Nice field of view.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
View Quote

I went through some of this in Iraq; the media would mention something going down in Baghdad (1st tour) or Ramadi (2nd tour) and the wife would be on pins and needles until she got an Email or Phone call from me.  I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if Hinesville and Savannah were taking drone and missile strikes as well while I was deployed. It would be sort of like hurricane season if somewhere in Florida or along the Gulf Coast was getting hit every night!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 3Florks:

That's EXACTLY how I see it going down
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3Florks:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

That's EXACTLY how I see it going down

I still like the idea of a drone submersible line clearing that meanders across the Black Sea and manages to wrap itself a around some important parts of that bridge.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:37:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toybasher] [#47]

eta:
View Quote
What's the reason you think they're not using tanks in combined arms? AFAIK a tank by itself is an easy target for infantry with handheld AT weapons, and suffers from lack of awareness without supporting infantry to help spot targets, etc.

Both Russia and Ukraine seem to be using tanks like this, I don't understand why. Lack of troops to send with the tank? Higher ups in the military making poor decisions? Modern battlefields somehow being better suited for tanks going it alone? I just don't get it.

EDIT: Could it be in case they run over a mine so only the tank and crew get obliterated and not infantry near it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#48]
Originally Posted By Toybasher:
What's the reason you think they're not using tanks in combined arms? AFAIK a tank by itself is an easy target for infantry with handheld AT weapons, and suffers from lack of awareness without supporting infantry to help spot targets, etc.

Both Russia and Ukraine seem to be using tanks like this, I don't understand why. Lack of troops to send with the tank? Higher ups in the military making poor decisions? Modern battlefields somehow being better suited for tanks going it alone? I just don't get it.
View Quote

My guess is recon drones that are spotting for artillery that wipes out the infantry and the IFVs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:
So how many F-16s from Denmark in total? 24 are being sold to Argentina. Denmark seems to have 30 in service currently. Unless they had more in storage that number seems quite small.
View Quote

From what I've read up to today:
19 from Denmark.
22 from Norway.
24 from the Netherlands.
32 from Greece, and possibly 24 Mirage 2000-5.
(unspecified number) from Belgium.

They'll be a mix of F16 A/B(MLU) and F16 C/D, depending who's sending what. The Greek Mirages are modernized, as well, if those are approved and sent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Always carry a good length of paracord. Kept a good chunk in my vest and a bunch more in my assault pack. Came in handy more than once for all kinds of things.
Page / 5588
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5583 of 5588)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top