Site Notices
Page / 37
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hbilly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDf7Uli3Ns
View Quote

There was some good music out of Austin in the early 70s with the so-called Cosmic Cowboy revolution. Jerry Jeff. B. W. Stevenson, Michael Murphy, Rusty Weir, Steve Fromholtz, Willie, Gary P Nunn, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and David Allen Coe, Billy Joe Shafer just to name a few. A lot of Texas FM stations, especially the AOR stations were playing this mixed in with the current Southern rock acts. It had a short run, killed by the popularity of Outlaw Country led by Willie, Waylon, and Hank Jr.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
David Allan Coe - Laid Back And Wasted
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Knife-Edge - 2nd version (1970)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:48:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: misplayedhand] [#5]
After all these years I find out that this song was not about what I thought: Gun Control

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through The Jungle - COSMO'S FACTORY - Lp Liberty 1970

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Oi, Lads! Wotcha!! Yawright?
That's right, Gents, today is another band of Lads!!

Now, I know some of you are Electric Light Orchestra fans while others of you are closeted ELO fans, like my Brother, Joe!
You've probably asked yourself, "...but from whence did they come?" Fantastic question, that!

First, let's get to the music with Side 1 (or Side A as they say in Jolly Ol' England):

Looking On - 1971
Side 1

1  Looking On
2  Turkish Tram Conductor Blues
3  What?
4  When Alice Comes Back to the Farm

Turkish Tram Conductor Blues (2008 Remaster)
When Alice Comes Back To The Farm (2008 Remaster)

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
After you've listened to Side 1, you're probably thinking these guys sound similar to ELO, but yet they ROCK!!!!!
Your Thoughts are very correct. You could not be more right!!! They do sound similar to ELO, and yet they do ROCK!!!

"How is this possible???????", an intellectually curious person would ask. Well, gather 'round the keg, Boys, have I got a story for you!

The Move were a late '60s, early '70s that had a string of hits in England from their first record on, but apparently no one in the US liked them!?!?!? I'm not really sure how such things work out, other than to suggest a) payoffs weren't made or b) personalities at the record label level had conflicts with each other. Either way, no one becomes famous without the support of the "gravy train!"

In any event, Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev........(shit, BRB)........Bev Bevan (no idea how the fuck I could forget that) started a side project to break into the American market. One that was more oriented towards the "pop" sound. They called it, "Electric Light Orchestra." This too was very popular in Jolly Ol' and would soon be very popular in the US. The Rest is "History" as they say; which means you can igore the details at will.

Side 2

1  Open Up, Said the World at the Door
2  Brontosaurus
3  Feel Too Good
3b The Duke of Endinburgh's Lettuce (This song was not listed on the album's track list, and I had no idea how to list it here. It's like a "hidden" track on a CD. It's starts around the 8 minute mark.)

Open Up Said The World At The Door (2008 Remaster)
Brontosaurus (2008 Remaster)
Feel Too Good (2008 Remaster)

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Jerry Jeff Walker - Morning Song To Sally
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd forgotten about this song 'till  couple of days ago.  Very underrated Fleetwood Mac tune ("Hypnotized").

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The Band - Long Black Veil (Festival Express, 1970)
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I was born in '77, so I remember very little of that actual 70's.

But I remember a lot of the early 80's, when everything from the 70s was still a thing.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Jerry Garcia Band // Let's Spend The Night Together
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Seventies and Jerry Garcia. I remember those days...

Jerry Garcia Band - Dear Prudence - 3/1/1980 - Capitol Theatre (Official)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Ringo Starr on The Hoyt Axton Show - The No No Song

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I got some good stuff to listen to above me!!! Outfuckingstanding choices above me, Gentlemen!!

Today, we feature another rock band from New York, and again, I will repeat myself by posting, "I don't understand why New York rock bands are not more popular in the US."
Today's is no exception!! Plus, there's the added distinction that as far as I under know or understand, this was the first band in the World that was labeled as "heavy metal," and not to mention that they had just graduated high school before their first professional album was released (I believe I have that timing correct.")

I speak, of course, of Sir Lord Baltimore.

This is their first album, Kingdom Come, released in 1970.

Kingdom Come - 1970

Side 1
1  Master Heartache
2  Hard Rain Fallin'
3  Lady of Fire
4  Lake Isle of Innersfree
5  Pumped Up

Sir Lord Baltimore - Master Heartache
Sir Lord Baltimore - Hard Rain Fallin'
Sir Lord Baltimore - Lady Of Fire
Sir Lord Baltimore - Lake Isle Of Innersfree
Sir Lord Baltimore - Pumped Up

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Sir Lord Baltilmore has some other distinctions. They only did two albums and broke up. They had the backing of the production staff at Electric Lady Land studios, and the last thing is that this is as close to posting something related to bruce springstein, or however his name is spelled: one of the co-writers would become the boss's manager, plus there's another connection that I just now forgot. Old age!! It's actually pretty cool sometimes.

Side 2
1  Kingdom Come
2  I Got a Woman
3  Hell Hound
4  Helium Head (I Got a Love)
5  Ain't Got Hung on You

Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come
Sir Lord Baltimore - I Got A Woman
Sir Lord Baltimore - Hell Hound
Sir Lord Baltimore - Helium Head (I Got A Love)
Sir Lord Baltimore - Ain't Got Hung On You

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Billy Strings “If Your Hair’s Too Long” Single Mic 2/17/23 Atlantic City

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Almost Cut My Hair

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#25]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I own a first pressing of this LP. It's one of my prouder acquisitions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Originally Posted By zoinks:
I got some good stuff to listen to above me!!! Outfuckingstanding choices above me, Gentlemen!!

Today, we feature another rock band from New York, and again, I will repeat myself by posting, "I don't understand why New York rock bands are not more popular in the US."
Today's is no exception!! Plus, there's the added distinction that as far as I under know or understand, this was the first band in the World that was labeled as "heavy metal," and not to mention that they had just graduated high school before their first professional album was released (I believe I have that timing correct.")

I speak, of course, of Sir Lord Baltimore.

This is their first album, Kingdom Come, released in 1970.

Kingdom Come - 1970

Side 1
1  Master Heartache
2  Hard Rain Fallin'
3  Lady of Fire
4  Lake Isle of Innersfree
5  Pumped Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hevmP697rg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Cg_f95wik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMRQPJgwR4E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nEOYw77VTQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAaX7JmWFE

I own a first pressing of this LP. It's one of my prouder acquisitions.
For high school kids, I was impressed as hell when me and my friends first heard the album a million years ago. We tried to find out from others how they got associated with Electric Lady studios, and it was the old-fashioned way of hanging out, not acting like fuck heads, asking good questions, being respectful etc.
That's the hard part!!! LOL

ETA: I started laughing and hit the wrong button!

I wanted to add that it is a good thing you started this thread. Allow me to do a little ass kissing, please.
Mostly what I remember about the '70s was the society around me falling apart (but no where near as bad as it is now!) Even though I myself was involved with a lot of different musical instruments and bands (even played Bassoon in a youth orchestra), I didn't really think I was listening to "great" music. This thread has really changed my mind about that. I was wrong, and I'm happy to admit to being wrong. It really was great music, and, don't tell anyone I said this because I will deny it  , but even disco didn't suck as a form of music in and of itself, it was the sub-culture that surrounded it and took it as a banner/standard for those "people" who took up a specific lifestyle that gave me pause.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

There was some good music out of Austin in the early 70s with the so-called Cosmic Cowboy revolution. Jerry Jeff. B. W. Stevenson, Michael Murphy, Rusty Weir, Steve Fromholtz, Willie, Gary P Nunn, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and David Allen Coe, Billy Joe Shafer just to name a few. A lot of Texas FM stations, especially the AOR stations were playing this mixed in with the current Southern rock acts. It had a short run, killed by the popularity of Outlaw Country led by Willie, Waylon, and Hank Jr.
View Quote

lotta pretend cowboy coatriders

Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys were the real shit
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Doc540, I am glad you showed up!! It saves me the effort of saying your name three times in front of a mirror
Attachment Attached File

I never understood if the Country Music "Outlaw" was an actual thing or marketing!

Out here in the West, we listened to Western music, a lot of it.
Then the 1949 Almagamation occured; then Nashville types start buying up radio stations in order that they can't play Marty Robbins 1959's Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs.

At that point, the only people listening to Nashville music were L.A. types and transplants. People with a "sense of Justice" (this is as indignant as I can get this morning while cleaning) just stopped listening to Country music.

David Allan Coe wrote lyrics about how he was an "outlaw" and that is why he wasn't a more popular solo act. There's a lot of iffyness in all of this as it smells like a plot or a conspiracy or just a marketing technique.

What say you, Sir????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Fleetwood Mac - Dragonfly (1971)
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By doc540:

lotta pretend cowboy coatriders

Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys were the real shit
View Quote

They were to an extent but Willie was their leader. They were all known writers and backup band members and with his help, they stepped into the spotlight. It was a short-lived run and died as quickly as it started.
The Outlaw movement was made up of guys who were bucking the Nashville sound and the record companies. Some of it was too guitar-heavy and not enough fiddle and peddle steel for the country stations and too country for the Top 40 stations.  It was fun while it lasted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Just here for the music

David Allan Coe - Lately I've Been Thinking To Much Much Lately
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, Kiddios, for this morning, allow me to formally introduce you to one, Paul Kossoff.

He was an English Guitarist, and a very good one as a matter of fact. He founded the bad Free who we featured I think this year along with Bad Company as an ancompaniment.
He was also a very much in demand session guitarist. This is one of my criteria for saying someone is a good musician: the fact that other bands, musicians, vocalists etc. want you to be in the recording studio with them. Another person in the studio creates the potential for more arguments and getting nothing done! The fact that people take a chance on "you" being there with them, says that they're willing to risk the potential fights and potential failure for your abilities.

He was also an IV drug user, pretty heavy in fact. That's what lead to the break up of Free, and Paul Rodgers forming Bad Company. And when Paul Kossof formed a band called Back Street Crawler, at one point he was only a guest at that Band's performances.

I don't think he made it into his Thirties. IV drug users end up with bad circulatory systems. Clots form, break up, and human dies from an embolism or stroke. That's what happened to him. Human beings seem to have some sort of self-destruction sequence in all of us. It's best to figure out what yours is, and stay away from that stuff! Some people can't.

Today's feature is an album called Back Street Crawler. This is a solo debut album and not the eponymous debut of a new band. The Band would come three years later. The First song is more of a suite of songs, and it's first movement is pretty rough production wise, but it improves.

Back Street Crawler - 1973

Side 1

1  Tuesday Morning

Side 2

1  I'm Ready
2  Time Away
3  Molten Gold
4  Back Street Crawler (Don't Need You No More)

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Live In Sweden 1973 [1976] - The White Brothers
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks, hbilly! Nothing like a little Bluegrass in the morning to get me moving!!!!!!

Today, we're going to visit and sit with Donny Hathaway.

Who?

Yes, that guy.

I'm going to have for all of your indulgences and patience as I still remember when I posted about Karen Carpenter. On the other hand, you've all been warned!!!

I've been struggling how to showcase the music, so here's the Plan!!!
First post is a selection to show talent, song writing abilities, production abilities and likeability/coolness factor:

1  "The Ghetto" Live Performance from somewhere at some point of time!
2  Donny Hathaway - 1971
   "This Christmas"
3  Cold Blood & Donny Hathaway - 1972
  "Valdez in the Country"
4  Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - 1972
  "Where is the Love?"
First three songs have grown in popularity even after his death back in the '70s (you'll need to trust me on that one!); the last song probably made him famous.
Donny Hathaway • “The Ghetto” • LIVE 1970

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#34]
The beginning of his life was unremarkable exceept for his musical talent. He was raised by his Grandmother, a Church-going woman, in a suburb of Saint Louis. Remarkably, and this is kind of mind-blowing, Hathaway was part of the Choir since he was 4 years old!! That means at that early of an age, he could create a note and keep it in tune. I'm impressed!!!!

He went to a historically black college on a music scholarship, but left with his roommate, Ric Powell, before graduation and ended up working in Curtis Mayfield's "stable." (As a personal note, I don't like using the vernacular that pimps use when describing their prostitutes to musicians, but it was very common back then and oddly appropriate.) He also married a fellow student from his college days and didn't run through women (that I know of) simply because he could get away with it. We used to call such people, a decent man.

Here's the first side of his debut album:

Everything is Everything - 1970

Side 1

1  Voices Inside (Everything is Everything)
2  Je Vous Aime
3  I Believe to My Soul
4  Misty
5  Sugar Lee
6  Tryin' Times

Voices Inside (Everything Is Everything)

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#35]
You'll notice I did a live version of "The Ghetto" and a studio version of the same. The live version is so much cooler.
I tried to find this one song he did with Roberta Flack (whom he met in College) that was really a great jazz piece. I'm assuming it was Ric Powell on the drums. He uses ride cymbols to great effect in that piece, but youtube didn't have it, or I couldn't find it: one of the two.

So what happened to Donny Hathaway?
He took a walk out of a window in a high rise building back in the late '70s. He developed some serious mental health issues, and I mean really bad, bad like several hospitalizations bad in a short amount of years. Always sad, especially since, just like when we discussed Jim Morrison, noone would stop him/help him. It was a continual enabling circus because he could still make other people money.

There's more to the story, of course, but let's focus on the music:

Side 2

1  Thank You Master (For My Soul)
2  The Ghetto
3  To Be Young, Gifted and Black

Thank You Master (For My Soul)
To Be Young, Gifted and Black

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
This next album has been on my mind for a while now.

It represents the high point of this group, and it was literally all down hill for them from this point on, mostly due to in fighting. None of them individually, or with their original groups, had ever had these sorts of accolades (or criticisms) or popularity as they did starting in 1974. So, instead of simply accepting the popularity as a consequence and moving on, they fixated on it, and then the in-fighting started. Who knows what they could've accomplished continuing to work together and supporting each other.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer:
Brain Salad Surgery - 1973

Side 1

1  Jerusalem
2  Toccata
3  Still...You Turn Me On
4  Benny the Bouncer
5  Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 1

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Jerusalem (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Toccata (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Still...You Turn Me On (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Benny The Bouncer (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 1 (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the album about and where the title come from and what does it mean?????

The music is about the ultimate fight about human intelligence and articial/machine intelligence. Spoiler Aleart:
Click To View SpoilerThe story of the title is that is was borrowed from a Dr. John song, "Right Place, Wrong Time" which, Holy Shit, we have not covered!!! That will be rectified.
In that song, the main character needs a blow job to get right in his own head. This is strictly for medicinal purposes. The original title of ELP's album was going to be "Whip Some Skull on Ya" which also means blow job. The story I heard decades ago was that one of the crew was relating a story to the Boys in the Band about the typical antics after one of their shows end. He used the phrase she whipped some skull on me.

Side 2

1  Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 2
2  Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression
3  Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2 (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression (Official Audio)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression (Alternate) [Offical Audio]

As an alternative to the original album, here's "Karn Evil 9" in its entirety:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't Leave Your Records in the Sun
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh1IWAKw3c
View Quote

You should be an Editor!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#40]
This next album has been on my mind for a while now.

It represents the high point of this group, and it was literally all down hill for them from this point on, mostly due to in fighting. None of them individually, or with their original groups, had ever had these sorts of accolades (or criticisms) or popularity as they did starting in 1974. So, instead of simply accepting the popularity as a consequence and moving on, they fixated on it, and then the in-fighting started. Who knows what they could've accomplished continuing to work together and supporting each other.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer:
Brain Salad Surgery - 1973

Side 1

1  Jerusalem
2  Toccata
3  Still...You Turn Me On
4  Benny the Bouncer
5  Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbMJN35q1BQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSeNMlKTcA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySax3wnZ72w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-GFojTqpg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKAEqeHeDSo
View Quote

Yes! ELP had a number of individual tracks before and after this that were great, but this album really is amazing and great, from beginning to end. I was thinking recently about putting this on myself. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#41]
David Allan Coe - Longhaired Redneck/Rides Again (CD)
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Yes! ELP had a number of individual tracks before and after this that were great, but this album really is amazing and great, from beginning to end. I was thinking recently about putting this on myself. Thanks!
View Quote
Thanks for listening!! It is a great album. For me, it's up there with Dave Brubeck's Time Out and a few others. I just wish there were versions with better audio. All the video's I listened to first, they all sucked. This group sucked the least. So, apologies to everyone for that!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Rk-mjCH6M
View Quote
That was a well-spent hour!

He has interesting stories to go with his music, Sometimes funny, sometimes shocking, sometimes sad.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#44]
That was a well-spent hour!

He has interesting stories to go with his music, Sometimes funny, sometimes shocking, sometimes sad.
View Quote

For certain.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#45]
We're going to a Concert today, Gents!!!! And we won't have to worry about stepping in puke or getting jumped by the bathrooms...because it's a Bob Seger concert!

The Live Bullet album is one of the better "live" albums out there, but it's audio quality is not all that great on the the two youtube channels that had the listings. The "Official Bob Seger" channel has the worst version, so we're going with Southern Rocker's channel.

Live Bullet - 1976
(As always, I try to find the original vinyl album release, but shit happens!)

Side 1

1  Nutbush City Limits
2  Travelin' Man
3  Beautiful Loser
4  Jody Girl
  (No track break between Travelin' Man & Beautiful Loser have)
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Nutbush City Limits LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Travellin' Man & Beautiful Loser LIVE w Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Jody Girl LIVE with Lyrics in Desciption

I'm breaking this up into individual sides. Site Resources be damned!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Side 2

1  I've Been Working
2  Turn the Page
3  U.M.C.
4  Bo Diddley

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band I've Been Working LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Turn The Page LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band U.M.C. (Upper Middle Class) LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Bo Diddley LIVE with Lyrics in Description

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Side 3

1  Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
2  Heavy Music
3  Katmandu
   (No track Break between Heavy Music & Katmandu have)

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Ramblin' Gamblin' Man LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Heavy Music & Katmandu LIVE with Lyrics in Description

Now, some of you may be put off by his politics. He's not Kid Rock! But he isn't MC5 either! He's definitely a product of Detroit, though.

Side 4

1  Lookin' Back
2  Get Out Of Denver
3  Let It Rock

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Lookin' Back LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Get Out Of Denver LIVE with Lyrics in Description
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Let It Rock LIVE with Lyrics in Description

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#48]

I was doing my weekly 3-hour shift at the college radio station when I first found this LP. This would have been in the fall of 77 probably. I was looking the album over and was happy to see an "all songs OK for airplay" sticker on it.  I didn't really know what I had here and picked Turn the Page because it backtimed to a break. I was hooked from the first note. I was in the building by myself that night and cranked the studio monitors up. The hair was standing up on my arms it was so good. I played everything on that LP at least once and others more than once the rest of that semester.
Turn the Page is still my favorite Seager song.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

I was doing my weekly 3-hour shift at the college radio station when I first found this LP. This would have been in the fall of 77 probably. I was looking the album over and was happy to see an "all songs OK for airplay" sticker on it.  I didn't really know what I had here and picked Turn the Page because it backtimed to a break. I was hooked from the first note. I was in the building by myself that night and cranked the studio monitors up. The hair was standing up on my arms it was so good. I played everything on that LP at least once and others more than once the rest of that semester.
Turn the Page is still my favorite Seager song.
View Quote
You, my favorite varmint, are in a very large group of very happy people!!!

"Turn the Page" was probably the song, and this was the album, that brought Bob Seger to the Top! The studio version on an the album that had been released a few years before went no where sales-wise. But the live version of this song is really damn good!!

hbilly posted a "live" Flying Burrito Brothers song not too long ago, and that live version was way better than the studio version, and a couple of years back when I covered Cheap Trick, it was the Live at Buddokan album that finally made them famous! The insane part of it all is that most of the time, Live albums suck!!! They were normally done to fulfill a contract agreement about how many albums a group would make for a record label.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Side 3

1  Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
2  Heavy Music
3  Katmandu
   (No track Break between Heavy Music & Katmandu have)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCak2sDgSY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1upI_ejnpc

Now, some of you may be put off by his politics. He's not Kid Rock! But he isn't MC5 either! He's definitely a product of Detroit, though.

Side 4

1  Lookin' Back
2  Get Out Of Denver
3  Let It Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXziYGDu14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHLmDx9r5K4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP7bPSRPNks
View Quote

He played a show around here back in the 70's called Boogie Hill. Blue Oyster Cult also played. Such a raucous show that they weren't allowed to have concerts anymore
Seeger flew in on a helicopter
Page / 37
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top