John Hartford ~ Let Him Go On Mama
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Aussie Punk

The Saints - (I'm) Stranded [HQ]

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#3]
TV was freaking great back then!

Space: 1999: Season 1 Episode 1 - Breakaway (Full Episode)

The Greatest scene from Taxi EVER!!

Discovering the Cylon Armada - Battlestar Galactica 1978 (4K)

Gerry Anderson's UFO (1970) - Opening Titles
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BXaGEuqxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmL0pcfX7dE
View Quote

Don't Mention the War | Fawlty Towers

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
A song for Subnet:

I Remember When I Was Young

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tms0yk9kqVM

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BXaGEuqxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmL0pcfX7dE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tms0yk9kqVM

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The under appreciated Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs:

Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - Momma (1971)

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Willie Nelson - Me and Paul (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I was a little girl when I heard this song on the radio. I stopped in my tracks and listened to it and my dad saw me and asked me about it. I said this is going to be a hit. He objected and said the singer was a faggot. I asked him what a faggot was and he told me that it was a man that like to kiss men's peepees. I thought he was batshit crazy and I still do. I was right though, it was a hit!
Rod Stewart - Maggie May (1971)

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
I was a little girl when I heard this song on the radio. I stopped in my tracks and listened to it and my dad saw me and asked me about it. I said this is going to be a hit. He objected and said the singer was a faggot. I asked him what a faggot was and he told me that it was a man that like to kiss men's peepees. I thought he was batshit crazy and I still do. I was right though, it was a hit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbI_awR4CKE
View Quote
Yikes

But, thank you for sharing!
I want to be polite and just say that was an interesting way to explain a concept to a little girl. But, alas, no...no, it wasn't.

I do know what you mean about the song, though. It was one of those "radio" songs I change the station when it came on. There's only so much drama I could take even as a child. Besides, he has much better songs that weren't as popular, nor would they ever be.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Last week, we did someone from Detroit, and this week, we're back in the Motor City, Baby!!!!!!

Our Guest today is Lene Lovich!!!
Yes!!
She was born in Detroit, so she's a US citizen, but did her puberty years in Jolly Ol' England.

Very interesting Life story, none of which we'll cover here. This is about the "music" exept when it isn't.

The woman can sing and exercise great control over her voice, and she is a talented song writer. So, think about Lady Gaga for a second, and Lene Lovich can be considered just as talented if not more so! The only real difference is that Lady Gaga can only dream about being this bat shit crazy!!!!!!!

Here's how Lene's manager "sold" her singing talent to a record label:

Here's what they got:

The record label was in it now!!!

Anyhoo, here's her first album, and I'm pretty sure I have the correct version of the US pressing. The record label produced bare minimum after bare minimum because they didn't understand, couldn't grasp, failed to accept reality, that the album was a successful around the World. There's even a version when Lovich sang the songs in Japanese. There's a lot of different pressings out there, and I hope I got it right.

Stateless - 1979

Side 1

1  Home
2  Sleeping Beauty
3  Lucky Number
4  Too Tender (to Touch)
5  Say When

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Back at this time, this was the end of Punk and Disco, so record labels were looking for a "new sound." These were the days of synth pop, "electronic" music was making an ascendency, and the phrase "new wave" was being floated as they didn't have anything else to point to for a marketing direction.

Side 2

1  Writing On The Wall
2  Telepathy
3  Momentary Breakdown
4  I Think We're Alone Now
5  One In A 1,000,000
6  Tonight

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#14]
To Honor the fact that we had one of our more well-known female members actually post in the thread (and especially since it was a good choice), here's more Rod Stewart!!!

But, it's more geared toward how I heard about Rod Stewart as a little kid. There were Faces and Rod Stewart, the solo act, and they were indistinguishable to me. Something like 4 or 5 albums came out between '70 to '72 with Faces building on the success of Rod Stewart and vice versa, and many of the same musicians were on the  albums or on the tours. If you went to a Rod Stewart concert, he did Faces music, and if you went to a Faces concert, they did Rod Stewart songs.

We're going to start with Rod Stewart, solo act, first, then go the Faces.

Every Picture Tells a Story - 1971

Side 1

1  Every Picture Tells a Story
2  Seems Like a Long Time
3  That's All Right/Amazing Grace
4  Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Every Picture Tells A Story

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Rod Stewart himself was already a popular act in England. He was already associated with John Baldry and his circle of muscians like Mic Jagger, Ron Wood, Keith Richards, Elton John, and more.

Stewart was not just a Pop singer in the mid-'60s, but also a song writer and musician, and that seems to be the two things that got you into the same circle as John Baldry. The guy is talented, and he may have been a douche when he was younger, but he could write lyrics that rivaled the best in the business.

Side 2

1  Henry
2  Maggie May
3  Mandolin Wind
4  (I Know) I'm Losing You
5  (Find a) Reason to Believe

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The Faces are next, but the historical time line was that the Faces came out first, then the first solo Rod Stewart album was issued.
Faces came about from the destruction, more or less, of Small Faces when Steve Mariott left for some Humble Pie. Rod Stewart and Ron Wood had just left the Jeff Beck Group, and they all got together and the rest is History! This is their third album:

A Nod is as Good as a Wink...to a Blind Horse - 1971

Side 1

1  Miss Judy's Farm
2  You're So Rude
3  Love Lives Here
4  Last Orders Please
5  Stay with Me

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#17]
I was going to do their first album and its crazy history, but next week we're doing John Baldry's '71 album, and there are some overlapping songs, but this is a good album! Their second album could have come straight out of Nashville, oddly enough. It's good! But, I thought its context might not be accepted without a lot of words in the post, and I'm going to eat breakfast next.

I always liked their album titles. Those were on the humorous side...still. They didn't take themselves too seriously, and had just as good a time at the show as the audience did.

ETA: I just remembered what i forgot to add about this album that makes the first pressing a collector's item.
It came with a big poster of a photo taken at one of their after-parties featuring naked chicks and people doing drugs. When the label found out, immediate recall and a rushed second pressing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
After thoughtful reconsideration, a new determination has been made that, yes, the Faces second album, Long Player, will now be posted for your further enjoyment.
Ron Wood is a very good steel guitar player, and excellent slide guitarist as well (but he's no Rory Gallagher, but then who is....)

Long Player - 1971

Side 1

1  Bad 'n' Ruin
2  Tell Everyone
3  Sweet Lady Mary
4  Richmond
5  Maybe I'm Amazed (Live Recording)

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Side 2

1  Had Me a Real Good Time
2  On the Beach
3  I Feel So Good (Live Recording)
4  Jerusalem

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#20]
John Baldry was an English man. Well, there was more to him than that! He was also 6'7" tall. He was also a very popular "Pop" singer in English music. He was also the first person to sing and play in the style of the "American Blues" in England. He formed a coterie with such people as Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jack Bruce, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones, Jack Bruce, and I'm forgetting a lot of other people, but I'm sure most of you recognize these names, and they all worked together in some form or fashion in the very very early '60s.

For one of the few times as a kid, I was on top of the music scene instead of getting hold of record after the fact. This is from 1971, and Rod Stewart was asked to produce it.

It Ain't Easy - 1971

Side 1

1  Intro: Conditional Discharge
2  Don't Try to Lay No Boogie-Woogie on The King of Rock and Roll
(Whiteray1, the youtube user who put together this play list, combined both tracks in one video)
3  Black Girl
4  It Ain't Easy
5  Morning Morning

Long John Baldry - "Don't Try To Lay No Boogie-Woogie On The King of Rock & Roll"
Long John Baldry - It Ain't Easy HD
Long John Baldry - Morning Morning

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
While "Long" John Baldry is barely known here, he was integral to the British music scene even if he wasn't as rich or as popular internationally as others. Elton John wrote a song about him entitled "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." Baldry had that sort of popularity.

Side 2

1  I'm Ready
2  Let's Burn Down the Cornfield
3  Mr. Rubin
4  Rock Me When He's Gone
5  Flying

John Baldry - Let's Burn Down the Cornfield
John Baldry - Rock Me When He's Gone

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The White Brothers ~ Take A Whiff On Me
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher] [#24]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
John Baldry was an English man. Well, there was more to him than that! He was also 6'7" tall. He was also a very popular "Pop" singer in English music. He was also the first person to sing and play in the style of the "American Blues" in England. He formed a coterie with such people as Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jack Bruce, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones, Jack Bruce, and I'm forgetting a lot of other people, but I'm sure most of you recognize these names, and they all worked together in some form or fashion in the very very early '60s.

For one of the few times as a kid, I was on top of the music scene instead of getting hold of record after the fact. This is from 1971, and Rod Stewart was asked to produce it.

It Ain't Easy - 1971

Side 1

1  Intro: Conditional Discharge
2  Don't Try to Lay No Boogie-Woogie on The King of Rock and Roll
(Whiteray1, the youtube user who put together this play list, combined both tracks in one video)
3  Black Girl
4  It Ain't Easy
5  Morning Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_lZ4hkJd8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9X74O4F5c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekw62Hp-3Hw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhqu7D8Dmk

View Quote

Boogie Woogie was heavy in the rotation of KZEW in Dallas, one of the more popular AOR stations in the 70s and 80s. That was the first time I'd heard it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Free - Live At The Isle Of Wight. Festival 1970
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Let me take you back...back to a time with Joe Cocker and Leon Russell roamed and ruled the Earth....

By way of an introduction, here's a video clip of National Lampoon's Joe Cocker/Leon Russell/Rita Coolidge scene-song from Lemmings:
John Belushi - Lonely At The Bottom

Many humors, yes?
Wish I could post more of it, but due to "the rules," that's not happening!

Let's get into Side 1, shall we?

Mad Dogs and Englishmen - 1970

Side 1

1  Band Introduction
2  Honky Tonk Women
3  Song Introduction
4  Sticks and Stone
5  Cry Me a River
6  Bird on the Wire

Introduction #1 (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Honky Tonk Women (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Sticks And Stones Introduction (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Sticks And Stones (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Cry Me A River (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Bird On The Wire (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#28]
From what I remember as kid, the music from this album was bigger, more emotionally powerful (although I didn't/wouldn't have used those words) and more "alive" than anything out there. I never got to see a Delaney and Bonney revival, but this is surely what this must have been.

Feelin' Alright (Live At The Fillmore East / 1970)
Superstar (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Let's Go Get Stoned Introduction (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Let's Go Get Stoned (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:17:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#29]
A couple of years ago in this thread, I presumed to write about how the I-IV-V chord progression and the actual music itself had originated with the Scoth-Irish as they populated the colonies, and that musical style was a product of these people. Over time this broke down into the "country" music of the Southern underclasses and the Western music of the West - both using the I-IV-V chord progression. Pre-Civil War time (antebellum! I know a big word) this point in the South, there was no difference in structure between between white and black music; there wasn't even that much difference, except for personalities involved, in the music itself. The differences wouldn't come until the aftermath of the Civil War with the Democratic Party's insistence on segregating white from black, plus the victory of the US in the Spanish-American War introduced a different musical World to the US, and then there was the technology of recording music. Whomever was recorded first doing the same thing everyone else was doing, was de facto given credit for "originated" it.

In the '50s when American music went to England, they copied it, played, expanded off of it. That's normally how culture grows.
What these English kids didn't realize was that the musical stylings they were copying had originally came from their Island. But, whatever, they did interesting things with the music, so the rest of us could enjoy it.

By the late '60s early '70s, more British types were coming here to  play with American musicians and work with American producers.

The Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour was just another result of this British musician desire. This turned out pretty good for the rest of us.

Side 3

1  Blue Medley
  a) I'll Drown in My Own Tears
  b) When Something Is Wrong with My Baby
  c) I've Been Loving You Too Long  
2  Song Introduction
3  Girl from the North Country
4  Give Peace a Chance

Blue Medley: I'll Drown In My Own Tears/ When Something Is Wrong With My Baby/ I've Been Loving...
Introduction #4 (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Girl From The North Country (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Give Peace A Chance (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#30]
Now for the gossipy part!!

It was said that Joe Cocker always felt over-shadowed by Leon Russell on this tour. Maybe/probably. Afterall, Joe Cocker was, for a moment, considered the World's most exciting singer!

Joe Cocker was going through his alcohol and drug phrase which he somehow survived, but he knew Leon Russell before they actually and literally "threw this tour together" due to a contractual obligation that someone named Joe Cocker somehow forgot about. He knew Leon Russell during the tour, and he worked with Leon Russell for years afterwards including a reunion tour!! Just count the money Joe, be polite to everyone, and be thankful you didn't end up like Dave Evans.

Side 4
1  Song Introduction
2  She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
3  Space Captain
4  The Letter
5  Delta Lady

Introduction #5 (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Space Captain (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
The Letter (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)
Delta Lady (Live At The Fillmore East/1970)

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#31]
I tried to find a free stream of the movie based on the tour, but the streamers are all charging at least $7.99 for it. !!!

It's a good movie, but it's not that good.

So, here's a few youtuber play lists that you can scroll through. I'm pretty sure the movie was filmed at the Fillmore East shows. I can't say all these film clips are from there, but there's plenty to get a feel of the Tour as a whole:

ETA: I forgot to mention to click on the url below the player to get to the play list. You'll only hear/see the first song of the playlist if you click on the player.

Joe Cocker - Delta Lady ( Mad Dogs & Englishmen ) Full Version
Joe Cocker, Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Will The Circle Be Unbroken (LIVE) HD
Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs & Englishmen - Space Captain

Enjoy! It's now a nice slice of Americana!! I can assure you, it was not considered this when it was created!!! Enjoy the subversion!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#32]
HQ JJ CALE & LEON RUSSELL - SAME OLD BLUES Rare Live 1979 HIGH FIDELITY AUDIO HQ BEST VERSION!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#33]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgk3GpZEJEw
View Quote
LOL! I was going to post this next week for you!!!!!!!!!!

Too Funny!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
LOL! I was going to post this next week for you!!!!!!!!!!

Too Funny!!!!
View Quote

If you go back to the beginning, I think I posted the whole show then
Gemutlichkeit!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Grateful Dead - 4/22/1978 - Municipal Auditorium - Nashville, TN
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#36]
Bought this first Malo album in March 1972, my favorite tune on it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7jCbb8KnUE
View Quote

Excellent, thanks hbilly!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Santana ~ Toussaint L'Overture
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Glen Campbell & John Hartford - Gentle On My Mind (Live The Goodtime Hour)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Loved this as a kid.
SSP Smash-Up Derby from Kenner Products (1972)

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Treadhead:
Loved this as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYFyOGTMrc
View Quote

Is that the one where the doors and trunk would fly off when they crashed? If so I had them
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Fast Medley: I Can't Stand It (Live At The Apollo Theater/1971)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (Live At The Apollo Theater/1971)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#50]
It is 4/20

Too Rolling Stoned (2007 Remaster)
Page / 37
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top