Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 46
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
OP can go after the estate for legal expenses, but given that the estate consists of jack shit, that's a dead end.

IIRC, the estate is the only plaintiff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
"For Wrongful Death Purposes Only"
Suicide falls under such a category?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:
....How can I be liable for the wrongful death of a person I didn't know, who killed themselves a week after they were standing in my store??
View Quote

A jury would answer that question.
If the plaintiff can convince a jury that you were negligent in the sale or transfer of that firearm, and it resulted in the death of a person, it doesn't matter if you didn't know them or the amount of time that has passed. What you believe are the facts aren't the facts as the Plaintiff sees them.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Reading the evidence in the public record that bigbore has posted, it seems to me the only time the parents actually gave a damn about their daughter in recent years is when they saw dollar signs after her suicide.

Before that they seemed to ignore her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Yup, and unfortunately for the plaintiff they have ZERO proof I was negligent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

If the plaintiff can convince a jury that you were negligent in the sale or transfer of that firearm, and it resulted in the death of a person, it doesn't matter if you didn't know them or the amount of time that has passed. What you believe are the facts aren't the facts as the Plaintiff sees them.

Too bad lawyers are paid and encouraged to lie.  Would be nice to get them on the stand and see if they are willing to take a perjury charge for the things they say in court
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

Too bad lawyers are paid and encouraged to lie. Would be nice to get them on the stand and see if they are willing to take a perjury charge for the things they say in court
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Too bad lawyers are paid and encouraged to lie. Would be nice to get them on the stand and see if they are willing to take a perjury charge for the things they say in court
lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

They don't need proof and they know it. They just need to convince jurors that your actions were negligent. "ADCO should have known" will be the song they sing.

I'm thinking your judge is pushing for mediation because she wants to avoid a trial. Not avoid a trial because you'll win, but because if you lose her decisions regarding the reopening of a closed estate will be ridiculed on appeal.

I'm wondering if the plaintiff exposes themselves for a countersuit because they closed the estate, then contrary to Ohio law filed a civil suit knowing the estate was closed. If Ohio doesn't allow the reopening of an estate, then plaintiffs had no basis for their lawsuit.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Rexkwando will not be testifying.  I'm going to make the call, even if the judge doesn't exclude him, they will not put him on stand.  They have to know he's a joke.  I can't believe there will be a trial in May.  I think they are going to find a way out.  They wanted a settlement, they dont want a trial.  They can not win, their case is so weak.
View Quote

I would actually love to see him have to testify and get absolutely decimated on the stand. It would be pretty damn epic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]

I never saw them.   I was in a room with the claims adjuster.  Plaintiffs were in a different room.   The attorneys and mediator were in another room.  None of what was said today is admissible, so I may well have offered a bag of dicks given the opportunity to sit across from them - which is probably why the put the parties in separate rooms.  
View Quote

Bring them a bag of these.

Amazon Product
  • Great for bachelorette parties or any occassion

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I would want to start a defamation case against the brady campaign for hiring some smuck to try and ruin my reputation based of a convicted felon and no proof what so ever of any wrong doing on your part, much less the witnesses lack of credibility that seemingly can't hold a job.  

I know....when elephants fly and all but damn...that was some low level horse shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]

A reminder of the estates assets:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/nasssets-2735447.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ParityError:
OP can go after the estate for legal expenses, but given that the estate consists of jack shit, that's a dead end.

IIRC, the estate is the only plaintiff.

A reminder of the estates assets:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/nasssets-2735447.jpg

Sounds like you should form an LLC with zero assets and just go try and start sueing these jackasses for random shit.

Also, a quick question for the judge, since the estate has zero assetts, how is it funding the suit and expenses?  Perhaps the IRS would be interested in just what the money flow is in all of this, and if everything is being properly reported.  They don't really like it when people make fake shell companies and hide money movement.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Also, a quick question for the judge, since the estate has zero assetts, how is it funding the suit and expenses?  Perhaps the IRS would be interested in just what the money flow is in all of this, and if everything is being properly reported.  They don't really like it when people make fake shell companies and hide money movement.
View Quote

I'd bet the Brady Campaign is paying for it.  The attorney is working contingency so he doesn't get paid unless he wins the suit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been loosely following this injustice and am curious, don’t recall it being discussed earlier, does it seem like their point to pushing this the whole time is some kind of settlement $ instead of actually going to trial?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#21]
ADCO will come out victorious.  I have spoken.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

I'd bet the Brady Campaign is paying for it.  The attorney is working contingency so he doesn't get paid unless he wins the suit.
View Quote

Remember when the Brady Bunch pushed a dead woman's parents into suing Lucky Gunner, and then said "sucks to be you" when the court found in LG's favor?
But IIRC the plaintiffs in the frivolous suit were responsible for the defendants' legal fees only because of a Colorado state law.

https://www.guns.com/news/2015/04/23/aurora-theater-victims-family-may-owe-280000-in-lucky-gunner-lawsuit
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#25]
Who wants to take bets as to how the next 4 weeks play out?  

The deadline for the motion to exclude their joke expert witness is in 2 days.  
Will the bad guys take the time to submit a reply in opposition?  
Will my attorneys even submit a motion to exclude him?  

I think it would be cool to make them pay his expenses to travel/testify and destroy him in the court room.  

There is still a pending motion to dismiss sitting on the Judges desk.  The judge can end all this tomorrow and rule in favor of summary judgment.  I'm sure the mediator told her it was his opinion there is no way we are setting.  The judge can clear it off her docket and be done, simply by doing her job.

I'm good with those options, in any mixture. I know what I have to do, I'm confident I kick ass testifying, and it will be OVER!

My fear is an Ohio Rule 41 dismissal.   In Ohio, a plaintiff can dismiss the case themselves the day before the trial.  Doing so, gives them ONE YEAR to refile and start all over.  So if they just wanted to be pricks, they can dismiss it tomorrow, refile in May 2025 and start from scratch with a new trial date in 2027.  Or, they can dismiss with no intention to refile just to keep it hanging over mine and the insurance companies heads.

They can't have much if any confidence in their odds to win at trial - and they know if they win the improper nunc pro tunc is a killer reversible error.  

If they are going to do a Rule 41 dismissal, they will probably do it sooner than later instead of risking the Judge ruling in my favor for SJ before hand.  If they dismiss before the judge rules, the MSJ is moot.
View Quote

What all has to be present for them to refile the case in a year?  If the year comes and goes and they don't file I assume at that point it would be over.  Why would they expect any different results in a year? (not a change of results but just to participate in the lawfare going on.... ).  Not like the old guy's testimony will change as putting him on the stand as a convicted felon and one step head of Xiden in the nursing home probably isn't smart.

Shouldn't technically the MSJ still apply regardless, not like they can use a time machine and magically change the dates to be "correct."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Nothing has to change for them to refile.  They get a clean slate with all new scheduling for discovery and depositions, and experts, etc.  I'll have to pay more legal fees.  My insurance rates will stay high because the lawsuit.
IMO, plaintiff would be better off if the boyfriend dies/too ill to testify.  That way they can play his video deposition and my side won't be able to cross examine.

I've thought about why they are doing this to me every day for the last 2 years when I KNOW they have nothing, and the only answer that makes sense is - because they can. This is what our "legal" system is set up to do.

ETA -  I dunno about the MSJ - could I just resubmit that on day one and ignore the rest of the stuff?   Or, do they have to file and answer to the new complaint and go through discovery first?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

What all has to be present for them to refile the case in a year?  If the year comes and goes and they don't file I assume at that point it would be over.  Why would they expect any different results in a year? (not a change of results but just to participate in the lawfare going on.... ).  Not like the old guy's testimony will change as putting him on the stand as a convicted felon and one step head of Xiden in the nursing home probably isn't smart.

Shouldn't technically the MSJ still apply regardless, not like they can use a time machine and magically change the dates to be "correct."

Nothing has to change for them to refile.  They get a clean slate with all new scheduling for discovery and depositions, and experts, etc.  I'll have to pay more legal fees.  My insurance rates will stay high because the lawsuit.
IMO, plaintiff would be better off if the boyfriend dies/too ill to testify.  That way they can play his video deposition and my side won't be able to cross examine.

I've thought about why they are doing this to me every day for the last 2 years when I KNOW they have nothing, and the only answer that makes sense is - because they can. This is what our "legal" system is set up to do.

ETA -  I dunno about the MSJ - could I just resubmit that on day one and ignore the rest of the stuff?   Or, do they have to file and answer to the new complaint and go through discovery first?

Do any of the plantiffs have a job or employment?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

What are the odds you get a better judge?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#30]

The plaintiff is the estate of a dead person, so no.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

What about the live people who are attaching themselves to it that want you to settle? Any possibility to sue them or garnish their wages?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

An estate that was closed and reopened unlawfully
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#34]
So if the estate has nothing, if they won a settlement, who would get the monies? Would they have to go through probate? How would the parents "profit" from this?

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#35]
My fear is an Ohio Rule 41 dismissal.   In Ohio, a plaintiff can dismiss the case themselves the day before the trial.  Doing so, gives them ONE YEAR to refile and start all over.  So if they just wanted to be pricks, they can dismiss it tomorrow, refile in May 2025 and start from scratch with a new trial date in 2027.  Or, they can dismiss with no intention to refile just to keep it hanging over mine and the insurance companies heads.
View Quote

That's insane. I'll assume you're correct about Ohio rules of procedure, but here's the federal Rule 41.
Note that it works for the plaintiff before the defendant responds or files a MSJ, not after the defendant has invested time/money into the defense.

https://www.federalrulesofcivilprocedure.org/frcp/title-vi-trials/rule-41-dismissal-of-actions/

Rule 41 – Dismissal of Actions

(a) Voluntary Dismissal.

(1) By the Plaintiff.

(A) Without a Court Order. Subject to Rules 23(e), 23.1(c), 23.2, and 66 and any applicable federal statute, the plaintiff may dismiss an action without a court order by filing:

(i) a notice of dismissal before the opposing party serves either an answer or a motion for summary judgment; or

(ii) a stipulation of dismissal signed by all parties who have appeared.

(B) Effect. Unless the notice or stipulation states otherwise, the dismissal is without prejudice. But if the plaintiff previously dismissed any federal- or state-court action based on or including the same claim, a notice of dismissal operates as an adjudication on the merits.

Edited to add the Ohio rule 41.
Same thing except the deadline is the trial opening in the courtroom instead of the defendant filing a response. Filing a counterclaim also ends it. But no counterclaim was filed here because the 'plaintiff' is dead and penniless.

But I don't see where it does anything to restart any statute of limitations.
How long is the SOL period and what's the start date, the day she was pronounced dead?

(A) Voluntary dismissal: effect thereof.
(1) By plaintiff; by stipulation. Subject to the provisions of Civ. R. 23(E), Civ. R. 23.1, and Civ. R. 66, a plaintiff, without order of court, may dismiss all claims asserted by that plaintiff against a defendant by doing either of the following:
(a) filing a notice of dismissal at any time before the commencement of trial unless a counterclaim which cannot remain pending for independent adjudication by the court has been served by that defendant;
(b) filing a stipulation of dismissal signed by all parties who have appeared in the action.

Unless otherwise stated in the notice of dismissal or stipulation, the dismissal is without prejudice, except that a notice of dismissal operates as an adjudication upon the merits of any claim that the plaintiff has once dismissed in any court.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Read THIS.  Try not to laugh at the outlandish claims/threats they made and were never able to prove or follow through on.

Only about 1% of civil trials go to court, they are all about settlement $.
View Quote

"Paul was hospitalized for over a month. (E. Roebke Dep., p. 14.) He underwent roughly 11 electroconvulsive therapies just in order to cope with life. (Id.) He has been diagnosed with major
depression. (Id.; see also P. Roebke Dep., pp. 35–36.) Elaine lost her only daughter and travel partner. She needs prescription sleep aids to get through the night. (E. Roebke Dep., p. 39.) And their only living child, Eric Roebke, had a “mental breakdown” because of his only sibling’s death and “didn’t work for over a year.” (Id. at p. 40.) Eric was admitted to a mental health treatment center and was placed on psychiatric medications to cope with the loss of his sister. (Id. at pp. 41–42.)"

That's quite a few words to get to the point which is "this whole family is a bunch of slapdick retards and the sooner they follow their cunt daughter to oblivion, the better off we'll all be."
Fuck you Brady lawyers; fuck you squarely in your collective asses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Would it be possible to counter-sue the attorney or attorneys that are representing the estate of the plaintiff for damages, seeing as how they have cost you so much and due to increased insurance rates due to their actions, will continue to cost you? They have to know that they don't have a case, and yet are continuing to put in the work to fuck with you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Would it be possible to counter-sue the attorney or attorneys that are representing the estate of the plaintiff for damages, seeing as how they have cost you so much and due to increased insurance rates due to their actions, will continue to cost you? They have to know that they don't have a case, and yet are continuing to put in the work to fuck with you.
View Quote

Absent a specific statute or a (very rare) finding that a cause of action is frivolous, or a finding of fraud on the part of the plaintiff's attorneys, the attorneys are immune - only the actual plaintiff is liable for costs.

And since the plaintiff here is an estate with $0.00 in assets...

Ain't our legal system grand?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Absent a specific statute or a (very rare) finding that a cause of action is frivolous, or a finding of fraud on the part of the plaintiff's attorneys, the attorneys are immune - only the actual plaintiff is liable for costs.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:

I, for one, would love to see a law created for tort reform that is a civil suit is taken on contingency that the lawyers are partially on the hook for a defense counter suit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Considering 90% of those in congress are lawyers, that's not gonna happen.
View Quote

I know, but one can always dream, and harass their local reps to try to get something drawn up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#44]
If the plantiff files for the dismissal, then that should truly mark the end of the case (in your favor).   I will send you a PM shortly with my logic.  I’m sure their attorneys are following this thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it would be cool to make them pay his expenses to travel/testify and destroy him in the court room.  
View Quote

Do it.. I would bet that any lawyer would salivate at the chance to destroy that clown in court.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I thought Palmetto State Armory already put this guy out of business
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#49]

My attorneys filed the motion to exclude him today.
View Quote

Maybe they'll ask for a hearing, so the attorneys can still get a chance to obliterate him on the stand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top