Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZMV:
Last I heard it was Europe only. Did that change?
View Quote

It wouldn't be the first time Europe got the model first. They got the Tenere 700 a year earlier than us.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Yep.

Did a long dual sport ride this weekend and it was a T700 that was having problems the entire day. He finally gave up and split off to go home when we got near some pavement.

It seemed that tires were his biggest problem.
View Quote

If a dual sport ride was on the agenda I'd rather ride my WR450 supermoto with the supersport tires offroad than my 1190r on knobs.   Big pigs flat out suck in more changeling conditions unless you are a god.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ZMV:
Last I heard it was Europe only. Did that change?
View Quote

There is no way this stays in Europe. It will be here, Honda would be insane not to bring it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
I'd tell my son to keep his CB500X a few more years and then just get the 1100 Africa Twin.

I like the F850GS myself.  I did a 500-mile day on one and it was practically perfect.
View Quote

The Halfrica Twin!

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
heavy as fuck and underpowered
View Quote

Here is an older drag race between KTMs offerings:

Drag Race! KTM 790 Adventure R vs 1290 Super Adventure R

Skip to 1:20. The 790 consistently out accelerated the 1290 up until 100mph at which point the 1290 could finally start showing the hp advantage. To keep on calling these things underpowered because they fall flat after 100mph is just silly. It's an adventure bike. Either you take it off road, in which case you have tires that shouldn't be going much above 100mph to begin with, or you are looking to go fast in which case why the heck did you buy a bike with a 21inch front wheel?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
I think people would be shocked at how much power they actually use 99% of the time. My GSA has a bunch but looking at RPMs and average usage I am typically around 60hp. I know, it’s a shocker that ADV riders aren’t screaming around at 12 thousand RPMs.

HP in most modern 700cc bikes is just bullshit on paper, not real world usage.
View Quote

I agree. I find myself riding to an mpg more than anything.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ulster:

The Halfrica Twin!

https://i.postimg.cc/bw46YkFF/fishing-allowed.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'd tell my son to keep his CB500X a few more years and then just get the 1100 Africa Twin.

I like the F850GS myself.  I did a 500-mile day on one and it was practically perfect.

The Halfrica Twin!

I sold my 1200GS a couple of years ago, and if I were to buy a new bike it would be a CB500x.
It's simply all the bike I need, to do what I do on a bike.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23f_V1Jh4I

Skip to 1:20. The 790 consistently out accelerated the 1290 up until 100mph at which point the 1290 could finally start showing the hp advantage. To keep on calling these things underpowered because they fall flat after 100mph is just silly. It's an adventure bike. Either you take it off road, in which case you have tires that shouldn't be going much above 100mph to begin with, or you are looking to go fast in which case why the heck did you buy a bike with a 21inch front wheel?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
heavy as fuck and underpowered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23f_V1Jh4I

How much much of that is due to the 110 pound weight difference?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:

I sold my 1200GS a couple of years ago, and if I were to buy a new bike it would be a CB500x.
View All Quotes

The Halfrica Twin!

Agreed.  It's the perfect size for me and the type of riding I do.  And having a 7k price tag helps too.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:25:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#11]

The Halfrica Twin!

View All Quotes

The Halfrica Twin!

The linear progression of Honda's adventure offerings are:

150 ADV
CB500X
NC750X
TransAlp
Africa Twin 1100

Honda has been planning this for a few years.  It's been baked in the design renderings and prototypes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Agreed.  It's the perfect size for me and the type of riding I do.  And having a 7k price tag helps too.  

https://i.postimg.cc/DzwdFmkp/20220730-142403.jpg

View All Quotes

The Halfrica Twin!

It is an awesome bike.

80mpg is a bonus!
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#13]
Originally Posted By BubbasBarNGrill:

View Quote

All of it. It’s power to weight ratio. At the end of the day that is what matters when it comes to power and races like this.

ETA: of course there can be gearing differences as well but these bikes are likely geared closely.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#14]

View Quote

Probably not as much as you think, having driven them back to back personally the 1290 on "adventure" tires is really limited between traction and wheelie control trying to keep the thing planted. The 790 would just scoot right off the line in a very predictable and fun matter. The 890 is even better.

As fun as the v-twin engine is on the KTM, it's much more enjoyable on a super duke with a chassis that's designed to fully take advantage of that power.

If KTM ever does a demo ride near you, I'd suggest making a day of it and riding as much as you can. Even if you have no interest in buying their bikes, it's a free day of riding someone else's motorcycles and what's not fun about that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

It is an awesome bike.

80mpg is a bonus!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

The Halfrica Twin!

It is an awesome bike.

80mpg is a bonus!

I get 65 mpg...but I'm 200+ pounds,  with gear.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a KLR650 for a while - my first bike. Liked it but sold it. I’ve been thinking about getting the new fuel injected one, but the T700, CBX500 and now this new Transalp are compelling choices for the riding I did and want to do again.

I’m not a fast rider. The KLR kind of checks the boxes for me, but I’ve always lusted after the old Transalp’s. Glad they’re back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Abbysdaddy04:
I had a KLR650 for a while - my first bike. Liked it but sold it. I’ve been thinking about getting the new fuel injected one, but the T700, CBX500 and now this new Transalp are compelling choices for the riding I did and want to do again.

I’m not a fast rider. The KLR kind of checks the boxes for me, but I’ve always lusted after the old Transalp’s. Glad they’re back.
View Quote

The new KLR is a huge porker. Like 480 pounds and still 36hp.

Now I have a special place in my heart for KLRs but buy a pre-08 for $2500. If you have to have fuel injection then these new bikes are hard to beat but I would honestly consider the CB.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Probably not as much as you think, having driven them back to back personally the 1290 on "adventure" tires is really limited between traction and wheelie control trying to keep the thing planted. The 790 would just scoot right off the line in a very predictable and fun matter. The 890 is even better.

As fun as the v-twin engine is on the KTM, it's much more enjoyable on a super duke with a chassis that's designed to fully take advantage of that power.

If KTM ever does a demo ride near you, I'd suggest making a day of it and riding as much as you can. Even if you have no interest in buying their bikes, it's a free day of riding someone else's motorcycles and what's not fun about that?
View All Quotes

I've ridden most of KTMs current offerings. Went with a SMC R.   I'm in the low weight camp. You don't need a ton of power in a LW bike. Agree on the Superduke, they are a riot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]

The Halfrica Twin!

View All Quotes

The Halfrica Twin!

Hafrica Single.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ulster] [#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

The Halfrica Twin!

Hafrica Single.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/4EFC506E-4A1D-46E6-A94C-8D2360B78C8C_jpe-2659569.JPG

Thump!  Thump!  Cool sticker!

I'm too old and wake up too sore for that.  If I could shed 25 years, I'd be owning that for sure.

I stick to the road and easy trails now days.  Trigger alert below!  Like a sheet of ice, but not really.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Now I have a special place in my heart for KLRs but buy a pre-08 for $2500. If you have to have fuel injection then these new bikes are hard to beat but I would honestly consider the CB.
View Quote

I’m thinking that’s the way I’ll go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#22]
"Adventure Bikes" are just the current fashion. They are essentially "Standards" tarted up to look dirtbike-ish and tough.

The better ones have long travel suspension and decent ground clearance. That long travel suspension helps even on the street, assuming you venture off of good pavement onto bumpy lesser traveled roads.

My GS is on pavement almost all the time except for a dirt road here and there. It is an outstanding streetbike. I have no desire to do any "real" off-roading with it. A 250 would be more my speed for that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#23]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
"Adventure Bikes" are just the current fashion. They are essentially "Standards" tarted up to look dirtbike-ish and tough.

The better ones have long travel suspension and decent ground clearance. That long travel suspension helps even on the street, assuming you venture off of good pavement onto bumpy lesser traveled roads.

My GS is on pavement almost all the time except for a dirt road here and there. It is an outstanding streetbike. I have no desire to do any "real" off-roading with it. A 250 would be more my speed for that.
View Quote

For some of them I certainly agree. Others have geometry more suitable for off road. Some have larger wheels. Some more durable bodywork or strange gas tanks that are set low like KTM. Typically more clearance on fenders for knobbiest and mud. And as you mentioned…more suspension travel.

But like I said in the OP people were crashing around the globe on old street bikes. What the new bikes can do is inspire confidence because the bikes can eat up so much. That can lead to different roads than one might would have traveled.

And I know I am preaching to the choir because you know all that.

ETA: and my GSA is mostly on pavement as well. Though not always.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

The Halfrica Twin!

Hafrica Single.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/4EFC506E-4A1D-46E6-A94C-8D2360B78C8C_jpe-2659569.JPG
I have that same sticker on my 300L Rally

I'll probably end up with a bigger twin at some point, and the Transalp is on my watch list. I love riding my bosses CB500.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Underpowered?  Geez. LOL    I'd say that's pretty good.  My VFR750 has 95hp @ ~520lbs.  Less torque than the Transalp.

People are rarely riding these things anywhere near peak HP.   What such bikes need is less weight.  Less weight is beneficial nearly 100% of the time.

The only time you'd really need more power is if you're riding at really high elevations and losing power due to the reduction in oxygen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Yea...mid-size got fat.
View Quote
When I was bike shopping I wanted an AT so fking bad until I saw it was as big as a Ford Ranger
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:
I really like the profile of this bike, and you can tell Honda was really trying hard to hit certain numbers.

They're stepping into some pretty steep competition with the Tuareg and Tenere, so we'll see how that goes.
View Quote
Taureg is my first choice of the three but I could forgo the dirt capabilities at my age
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
Looks nice.

I just had to sell my super tenere because my carpal tunnel and cervical spine issues were making my arms and hands go numb.  You can't ride if you can't work your fingers
View Quote
I've test ridden a lot of bikes at manufacturer demo days and non-cruiser/non-sport bike Yammies without fail put my hands and wrists to sleep.  A friend has this problem with his FJR and won't go very far from home.  Changing bars or adding bar risers or both might get the angle or bar height right.  

No real problems with any of the bikes I've owned since I've started to have physical problems.  ZRX1200R, ST1300, latest gen Goldwing, CB1100.  I have carpal tunnel problems in my right wrist, arthritis in both wrists, and a C6-C7 fusion with minorish nerve damage to my right shoulder and arm.

You might give other bikes a try.  Beats hanging it up.      
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wwace:
Taureg is my first choice of the three but I could forgo the dirt capabilities at my age
View Quote

That’s a bike I keep forgetting about. I have been so tied up with work I feel like I am out of the loop on the new bikes coming out. Plus I am very much not in the market.

While we are at it is anyone going to March Moto Madness or the BMW MOA rally?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Tranny Slap is a good name for a bike.
View Quote

I thought it was Tank Slap.

Just kidding, love excellent bikes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Underpowered?  Geez. LOL    I'd say that's pretty good.  My VFR750 has 95hp @ ~520lbs.  Less torque than the Transalp.

People are rarely riding these things anywhere near peak HP.   What such bikes need is less weight.  Less weight is beneficial nearly 100% of the time.

The only time you'd really need more power is if you're riding at really high elevations and losing power due to the reduction in oxygen.
View Quote

I'm definitely a "less weight is better" kind of guy, but at the same time there is only so much you can cut off of an adventure bike before it turns into a dirt bike with two cylinders, and BMW's hp2 didn't exactly prove that people wanted that.

It's not the leanest mid sized adventure bike to be thrown on the floor, but it's absolutely nowhere near the heaviest. Looking at you, BMW on that note.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]

That’s a bike I keep forgetting about. I have been so tied up with work I feel like I am out of the loop on the new bikes coming out. Plus I am very much not in the market.

While we are at it is anyone going to March Moto Madness or the BMW MOA rally?
View Quote

Plans are not solid, but I hope to make the MOA rally since it is within striking distance this year. Maybe there should be an Arfcom gathering.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Jeez, we're at around 500 lb's for enduros now? Dang...........

And I thought my old 76' TT500 with long travel front and rear suspension, tuned exhaust, aftermarket plastic tank, and some engine mods was heavy................

Wish I had never sold that old beast, actually loved that bike except on tight trails. On sand and for climbing, it was a beast for it's time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Plans are not solid, but I hope to make the MOA rally since it is within striking distance this year. Maybe there should be an Arfcom gathering.
View Quote

I am on the fence about it though I had a great time at the one time I went to. I have another trip planned not too long after that. Of course the MOA rally is just a long weekend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

And I thought my old 76' TT500 with long travel front and rear suspension, tuned exhaust, aftermarket plastic tank, and some engine mods was heavy................

Wish I had never sold that old beast, actually loved that bike except on tight trails. On sand and for climbing, it was a beast for it's time.
View Quote

No, we are at about 230 pounds for a true enduro

Attachment Attached File

If you want a bike that can realistically and comfortably ride every continent then you need something different.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#39]
That thing looks hideous...
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Less suspension, less fuel capacity, less HP, and barely weighs less than my Triumph 900 RP.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#41]
Originally Posted By stumpy89:
Less suspension, less fuel capacity, less HP, and barely weighs less than my Triumph 900 RP.  
View Quote

The Tiger is a great bike. I had an 800 not long after they came out. I don't know what the real weight of the Tiger is as they only list it dry but I am guessing 30 to 40 pounds more. I think, and this remains to be seen, but I think a big difference will be price.

Edit: hopefully, Triumph can resist the urge to keep making the tiger, bigger and bigger like the Africa twin did. Or the KTM 790 for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]

This isnt an old Transalp but rather an Old Africa Twin 750. Regardless it is a really good short movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStqf_02JrE
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subcanis:
Always wanted one of the OG TAs.

This isnt an old Transalp but rather an Old Africa Twin 750. Regardless it is a really good short movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStqf_02JrE

Awesome landscapes
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#43]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/243B7C6B-739E-427A-9904-C49B6C022AFE_jpe-2659949.JPG

If you want a bike that can realistically and comfortably ride every continent then you need something different.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/243B7C6B-739E-427A-9904-C49B6C022AFE_jpe-2659949.JPG

There are reasons for my eight bikes  All tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I’ll keep my KTM 1190 for now. I need a 500 exc now though. Miss my pimped out 2003 KLR660.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#45]
So it's for mostly older fat guys that put 2k a year on it. 250mi of that on dirt

That's what I see with 90% adv around here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#46]
Originally Posted By wc22312:
So it's for mostly older fat guys that put 2k a year on it. 250mi of that on dirt

That's what I see with 90% adv around here.
View Quote

No, it’s for serious travelers who do trips most are scared to do. If others want to buy it as well then who cares? It’s their money.

90% of all “motorcyclist” don’t actually ride.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#47]

I am on the fence about it though I had a great time at the one time I went to. I have another trip planned not too long after that. Of course the MOA rally is just a long weekend.
View All Quotes

I've been to a handful of them and always enjoyed myself. Richmond seems like an odd spot to pick.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#48]

I've been to a handful of them and always enjoyed myself. Richmond seems like an odd spot to pick.
View Quote

I just had a conversation about that on ADVrider yesterday. Richmond isnt exactly known for its great riding roads. I guess the Chesapeake Bay is an easy ride.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#49]

I can't say I have ever met anyone who was concerned about the power. Everyone is concerned about weight. And I know you are just trolling but the 500cc enduro is shit for a do all bike I have multiple bikes and I suspect you do as well but not everyone does. One thing I know is that as much as I love my GSA it is indeed a big bitch.
View Quote

It all depends on how experienced you are on what your ridding. Ive ridden them all- 300s are fun but I like my 570s for all around. (250lbs to my size is not a big bike) I have yet to learn the ways of the Jedi with a GSA on dunes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Phobby:

It all depends on how experienced you are on what your ridding. Ive ridden them all- 300s are fun but I like my 570s for all around. (250lbs to my size is not a big bike) I have yet to learn the ways of the Jedi with a GSA on dunes.
View Quote

Oh’ I am not saying big enduros are bad. But by do all I mean ride to the store, ride on a some back roads or two track, or even load it up with luggage and hit a decent amount of pavement on your way to Ushuaia. That is an ADV bike to me. They can’t replace dirt oriented bikes.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top